Just A Curiosity

Well, I'll certainly give it more than the 1% consideration I had been. I'm still hesitant, as it's a pretty long story and the scene in question is very near the end, so I'd probably have to submit it as one big lump in case the climax does wind up getting rejected. I know some people prefer long stories and have success with them, but it's not my preference for a story written serially. Anyway, thanks for the advice, it's given me something to consider for when my other stuff is more wrapped up.
How long is the story?

Anything around 50k - 60k might run better as a single submission, especially if the whole thing is written.

Consensus is, an ideal chapter length is around 10k (3 Lit pages) - not as an absolute rule, more as a "My chaptered story ran okay with chapters that length", from a bunch of different authors.

The main advantage of chapters, as I see it, is that they give you some idea how many people actually read a story through to the end, whereas with a stand-alone submission, you don't have a clue.

How long is the story?

Anything around 50k - 60k might run better as a single submission, especially if the whole thing is written.

Consensus is, an ideal chapter length is around 10k (3 Lit pages) - not as an absolute rule, more as a "My chaptered story ran okay with chapters that length", from a bunch of different authors.

The main advantage of chapters, as I see it, is that they give you some idea how many people actually read a story through to the end, whereas with a stand-alone submission, you don't have a clue.
Around 80k, although I expect it would get longer (maybe 10k) when fixing the 'first act.'
I'm aware of the consensus about 'ideal' length but don't follow it much. The serial episodes for the story in question could be combined into various chapter lengths with little problem (aside from my distaste for doing so), but it doesn't make much difference if I release the first 70k in 3 chapters or 25 if the last bit is unacceptable. A problem for some other day, though. I've got enough to keep me busy while I mull potential strategies.

It's also one of the principal antagonists that is thus slain, which is probably a point in the favor of letting the vaginal homicide slide, I suppose. I confess to being a little surprised that my initial assumption that it was a clear-cut 'No' is not apparently widely shared. I guess I haven't read enough of the stuff in EH here if my scenario seems permissible.
I has my vampire dusting in Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

I don’t think someone - particularly a supernatural entity - dying in flagrante delicto is forbidden. What is forbidden is the actual death being sexualized - ie the murderer getting off in in. Again in a supernatural setting, there might be some wiggle room.

Em

I don’t think someone - particularly a supernatural entity - dying in flagrante delicto is forbidden. What is forbidden is the actual death being sexualized - ie the murderer getting off in in. Again in a supernatural setting, there might be some wiggle room.

Em
Well, the bimbo succubus in question gets off on nearly everything, but it does sound like there's a lot more latitude than I expected. Enough so that the scene might need no more than some powder and lipstick instead of reconstructive surgery.

Well, the bimbo succubus in question gets off on nearly everything, but it does sound like there's a lot more latitude than I expected. Enough so that the scene might need no more than some powder and lipstick instead of reconstructive surgery.
Fantasy lets you do all sorts of stuff that might be borderline with humans.

Em

I used to don't post much elsewhere unless it's on Amazon, Smashwords, or BookApy.
I've thought about sites like those, but I just don't crank out enough stories to be worth it. I've only submitted seven in not quite three years here on Lit. So, I just write when I can and leave it at that. If I took the time and finished everything I've started, I'd probably have another dozen or so published.

Em
You also had a bit of a disclaimer about that in there that may have helped.

You can get away with more in the fantasy categories — especially when it's an established creature that subsists by killing humans such as a vampire or succubus. You still can't go bananas, but a succubus is at the root a creature that kills by using sexual attraction. Because it's Lit, they most often kill through the sexual act itself.

It's more a matter of whether there's too much physical or mental anguish going on. Someone experiencing the most intense orgasm of their life with a succubus as they slowly fade away will probably fly. A minotaur causing blunt force trauma with a phallus the size of a two-liter, not so much.

When in doubt, keep the death far away from the sex, but there is wiggle room in Sci-Fi&Fantasy, Non-Human, and even more in Erotic Horror.

You can get away with more in the fantasy categories — especially when it's an established creature that subsists by killing humans such as a vampire or succubus. You still can't go bananas, but a succubus is at the root a creature that kills by using sexual attraction. Because it's Lit, they most often kill through the sexual act itself.

It's more a matter of whether there's too much physical or mental anguish going on. Someone experiencing the most intense orgasm of their life with a succubus as they slowly fade away will probably fly. A minotaur causing blunt force trauma with a phallus the size of a two-liter, not so much.

When in doubt, keep the death far away from the sex, but there is wiggle room in Sci-Fi&Fantasy, Non-Human, and even more in Erotic Horror.
This sounds like it was directed at me and/or the conversation above about my story. I appreciate the additional perspective that the scene might be permissible. It certainly doesn't rely on the dying character's anguish or anything, and the feelings of the protags are mostly relief since it means they're free from captivity. So possibly it would get a pass after all. I'm still a bit bemused but must remind myself that they're more guidelines than actual rules.
As for the minotaur, he's actually exceptionally gentle, in a mild subversion of expectation.

Back