Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Participated in a 440 person poker tournament with my father yesterday. He came in around 350 to 300, and I just squeaked into the top 200 (I think, not 100% sure how many tables were left when I was knocked out). Only the top 44 were getting anything though :(

When -- at least in the US -- did St Patrick's Day become a day where you had to do things for the kids? Aside from wear green?

I found out today that a couple of our neighbors did stuff to make their kids think leprechauns had come to the house. This seemed mostly to consist of adding green food coloring to the toilet water (apparently leprechauns don't have the decency to flush), and making messes by dumping (dry, AFAIK) things on the floor. One neighbor also added green food coloring to the cereal bowls to make milk green.

My daughter, in kindergarten, came home to tell me that the leprechauns had been to her classroom and they knew it because stuff had been dumped on their tables, including things like green confetti. She also drew a picture for the leprechauns (I wrote a note from the leprechauns to thank her).

I never did this (Catholic school?), and never knew anyone who did until now. Is this recent? Did I just not know the right people?

I don't need another day or occasion to impersonate an imaginary entity.

When -- at least in the US -- did St Patrick's Day become a day where you had to do things for the kids? Aside from wear green?

I found out today that a couple of our neighbors did stuff to make their kids think leprechauns had come to the house. This seemed mostly to consist of adding green food coloring to the toilet water (apparently leprechauns don't have the decency to flush), and making messes by dumping (dry, AFAIK) things on the floor. One neighbor also added green food coloring to the cereal bowls to make milk green.

My daughter, in kindergarten, came home to tell me that the leprechauns had been to her classroom and they knew it because stuff had been dumped on their tables, including things like green confetti. She also drew a picture for the leprechauns (I wrote a note from the leprechauns to thank her).

I never did this (Catholic school?), and never knew anyone who did until now. Is this recent? Did I just not know the right people?

I don't need another day or occasion to impersonate an imaginary entity.

We never did any of this either, I think it's relatively new. I also did not feel the need to impersonate one more imaginary thing, that I'll later have to admit is a lie.

It's my little girl's birthday today, and the talk of leprechauns at school scared her. I told her, when you have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day, the leprechauns don't play tricks on you, they leave you alone.

She was also offended that in the books and videos they saw at school, there were no girl leprechauns!

We never did any of this either, I think it's relatively new. I also did not feel the need to impersonate one more imaginary thing, that I'll later have to admit is a lie.

She was also offended that in the books and videos they saw at school, there were no girl leprechauns!

It may be a while before she understands the word "Metro-sexual" <snigger>
:D

It's my little girl's birthday today, and the talk of leprechauns at school scared her. I told her, when you have a birthday on St. Patrick's Day, the leprechauns don't play tricks on you, they leave you alone.

It's tough, because my daughter was SO excited about this, and disappointed when the leprechauns at first didn't get her picture. But after I put the note there and she found it, OMG, it was the highlight of the day and we heard about it all afternoon and evening. She has such an imagination and loves this kind of thing, so I didn't mind doing it in that sense, but I am just NOT going to make this into another thing on a regular basis.

There was no mention of leprechauns playing tricks on anyone, so that was good. The focus seemed to be more on the mess they would make -- although then the kids had to clean up the mess.

Given how poorly the leprechauns behave, it doesn't surprise me they're all male.

(Mostly kidding. ;) )

It occurred to me yesterday afternoon that last fall was the first autumn in many, many years in which there was a problem with mice invading the abode. When I was a kid, my parents used to ascribe an incursion of field mice into the house to their seeking shelter from the cold.

I'm the last person to put much faith in "Old Wives Tales" or anecdote but I can't help but wonder (in hindsight, of course) if the mice somehow sensed that we were in for a nasty, cold winter.

Just out of curiosity— did anybody else notice anything along these lines last fall?

When in doubt order take out. ;)

Wish I could but we bought lunch today, and have done a number of meals out in the last few days. I will make a quick beef stroganoff for me and Mr Penn, and the kids can eat whatever.

Sometimes it's easier to put on a smile than really tell anyone what hurts.

Yes they do.

Some nightmares are worse than others.

A couple of years ago I had one that I couldn't get rid of.
(It lingered all day.) :eek:

Oh, those are the worst. Had one a couple months ago where I actually woke up shouting. This one was just about me getting chased by zombies, though.

Oh, those are the worst. Had one a couple months ago where I actually woke up shouting. This one was just about me getting chased by zombies, though.

In my early youth I saw a zombie movie. I don't remember the exact title,
but it was something with "Dawn".

That night I was afraid of falling asleep, and I've never seen a horror movie
since then.

(And never will.)

In my early youth I saw a zombie movie. I don't remember the exact title,
but it was something with "Dawn".

That night I was afraid of falling asleep, and I've never seen a horror movie
since then.

(And never will.)

Probably "Dawn of the Dead"

Yeah, in my opinion, zombies are the most terrifying of horror monsters. And I'm a Walking Dead fan. :rolleyes:

I'm getting too old and creaky to clean bathroom floors.

I've done two and am taking a coffee break before starting on the third.

Either I need a cleaner, or a smaller house. :D

Edited for PS: This IS the smaller house!

Cleaning out the last few items I can fit in my house from my office today, and then I don't think I am ever going back to that building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back