Is the other shoe about to drop?

4est_4est_Gump

Run Forrest! RUN!
Keynes’s dogma, as stated in his magnum opus, The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money, attempts to refute Say’s Law, also known as the Law of Markets. J.B. Say explained that money is a conduit or agent for facilitating the exchange of goods and services of real value. Thus, the farmer does not necessarily buy his car with dollars but with corn, wheat, soybeans, hogs, and beef. Likewise, the baker buys shoes with his bread. Notice that the farmer and the baker could purchase a car and shoes respectively only after producing something that others valued. The value placed on the farmer’s agricultural products and the baker’s bread is determined by the market. If the farmer’s crops failed or the baker’s bread failed to rise, they would not be able to consume because they had nothing that others valued with which to obtain money first. But Keynes tried to prove that production followed demand and not the other way around. He famously stated that governments should pay people to dig holes and then fill them back up in order to put money into the hands of the unemployed, who then would spend it and stimulate production. But notice that the hole diggers did not produce a good or service that was demanded by the market. Keynesian aggregate demand theory is nothing more than a justification for counterfeiting. It is a theory of capital consumption and ignores the irrefutable fact that production is required prior to consumption.

Central bank credit expansion is the best example of the Keynesian disregard for the inevitable consequences of violating Say’s Law. Money certificates are cheap to produce. Book entry credit is manufactured at the click of a computer mouse and is, therefore, essentially costless. So, receivers of new money get something for nothing. The consequence of this violation of Say’s Law is capital malinvestment, the opposite of the central bank’s goal of economic stimulus. Central bank economists make the crucial error of confusing GDP spending frenzy with sustainable economic activity. They are measuring capital consumption, not production.

Two Paths of Capital Destruction

The credit expansion causes capital consumption in two ways. Some of the increased credit made available to banks will be lent to businesses that could never turn a profit regardless of the level of interest rates. This is old-fashioned entrepreneurial error on the part of both bankers and borrowers. There is always a modicum of such losses, due to market uncertainty and the impossibility to foresee with precision the future condition of the market. But the bubble frenzy fools both bankers and overly optimistic entrepreneurs into believing that a new economic paradigm has arrived. They are fooled by the phony market conditions, so bold entrepreneurs and go-go bankers replace their more cautious predecessors. The longer the bubble lasts, the more of these unwise projects we get.

Another chunk of increased credit goes to businesses that could make a profit if there really were sufficient resources available for the completion of what now appears to be profitable long term projects. These are projects for which the cost of borrowing is a major factor in the entrepreneur's forecasts. Driving down the interest rate encourages even the most cautious entrepreneurs and bankers to re-evaluate these shelved projects. Many years will transpire before these projects are completed, so an accurate forecast of future costs is critical. These cost estimates assume that enough real capital is available and that sufficient resources exist to prevent costs from rising over the years. But such is not the case. Austrian business cycle theory explains that absent an increase in real savings that frees resources for their long term projects, costs will rise and reveal these projects to be unprofitable. Austrian economists explain that a declining interest rate caused by fiat money credit expansion does not reflect a change in societal time preference — that is, society's desire for current goods over future goods. Society is not saving enough to prevent a rise in the cost of resources that long term projects require. Despite central bank interest rate intervention, societal time preference will reassert itself and suck these resources back to the production of current goods, where a profit can be made, and away from the production of future goods.

No Escape from Say’s Law

No array of bank regulation can prevent the destruction of capital that becomes apparent to the public through an increase in bank loan losses, which may reach levels by which major banks become insolvent. Bank regulators believe that their empirical research into the dynamics of previous bank crises reveals lessons that can be used to avoid another banking crisis. They believe that banker stupidity or even criminal culpability were the underlying causes of previous crises. But this is a contradiction in logic. We must remember that the very purpose of central bank credit expansion is to trigger an increase in lending in order to stimulate the economy to a self-sustaining recovery. But this is impossible. At any one time there is only so much real capital available in society, and real capital cannot be produced by the click of a central bank computer mouse. As my friend Robert Blumen says, a central bank can print money but it cannot print software engineers or even cups of Starbucks coffee to keep them awake and working. Furthermore, requiring banks to hold more capital — which is the goal of the latest round of negotiations in Basel, Switzerland — is nothing more than requiring stronger locks on the barn door, while leaving the door wide open. Closing the door tightly after the horse is gone still means the loss of the horse. Why would an investor purchase new bank stock offerings just to see his money evaporate in another round of loan losses?
http://mises.org/daily/6770/Why-Central-Bank-Stimulus-Cannot-Bring-Economic-Recovery

Periodically, we check in on a ratio that first started to become concerning last year.
At the time, the ratio of assets invested in equity mutual funds and ETFs had eclipsed the assets stashed in safe money market funds by a factor of 3. That was on a par with the levels only seen in 2000 and 2006/2007.

At the time, and subsequent to that, we've discussed the fact that the ratio is not necessarily bounded by any limits, and it could "grow to the sky". The reason it was notable is because it had been bounded during the past 15 years, as stocks traded within a broad range.

Now that it was broken out above its previous peaks, there is no telling how stretched the ratio can go.

As of April, the latest data available, there was $4.05 invested in stocks for every $1 stored in money markets. That is 31% above what was seen in 2000 and 19% above the peak in 2007.

That's not too far above and beyond what the S&P 500 has done, so like the growth in margin debt, it seems reasonable given how well stocks have done.

That the ratio is so far above the 2000 and 2007 peaks seems like it should be market-negative, but we haven't considered it to be for quite a while, due to its in-line rise with stock prices, and the fact that the ratio has broken out above its previous peaks and we don't know where the next logical place would be to consider it extreme.
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/#Ot6DhypbQLKmCPBd.99

Ludvig!

256px-Ludwigpic.png

"Von Mises is the perfect economist for those who think math is hard" - Abraham Lincoln

Re. your first C&P, there is a disconcerting attitude manifesting itself among bankers, not just the central banks but all banks, that being that fiat money is not just a medium of exchange, but the commodity itself.

Ishmael

Re. your first C&P, there is a disconcerting attitude manifesting itself among bankers, not just the central banks but all banks, that being that fiat money is not just a medium of exchange, but the commodity itself.

Ishmael

Better invest in gold then. Fuck the return on investment this year, right?

Ishmael

Yes, it's called the "currency markets". Been around in its current form for over 150 years. Makes your statement all the more confusing as a result.

Yes, it's called the "currency markets". Been around in its current form for over 150 years. Makes your statement all the more confusing as a result.

I'm well aware of the currency markets and have been for decades. What I'm speaking of goes beyond that. The growing attitude that fiat money actually has true value all its own.

Ishmael

Ishmael

I agree.

Bankers are, in general, not economists.

First quarter growth was negative and this morning we received a slew of indicators that despite the harsh winter being over, the economy is decelerating. We may be in the Obama recession right now.

It reminds me of the Bush years when each and every month, the Democrats were declaring, gee, it sure feels like a recession...

;) ;)

Keynes was nutz because his 'law' fails to explain surplus and risk, and paper money has no material value...its value is entirely utilitarian.

Then send all of yours to me, assuming of course you have some.

First quarter growth was negative and this morning we received a slew of indicators that despite the harsh winter being over, the economy is decelerating. We may be in the Obama recession right now.

It reminds me of the Bush years when each and every month, the Democrats were declaring, gee, it sure feels like a recession...

;) ;)

Care to be a man for once and make a prediction? A simple prediction, without caveats?

Here is my simple, unqualified prediction:
The economy will rebound in the second quarter. There will be positive growth. There will be no recession.

Now somebody quote me so that AJ will see this. I seriously doubt he has the guts to make an unqualified prediction, because he is a chickenshit coward.

Reminds me of what happened in the Wiemar Republic, such as attitude existed there as well.:)

Once again you're obsessing about the Weimar Republic. Do you think hyperinflation is gonna hit the good ole USA?

Your buddy Karen predicted back in 2009 that hyperinflation would arrive in Murica in 2014. Doesn't look like his prediction is gonna come true.

I won't ask you to make a prediction, seeing as you're a coward.

But, but, everyone is buying gold. Oh wait, it's down thirty percent, never mind.

Care to be a man for once and make a prediction? A simple prediction, without caveats?

The economy will rebound in the second quarter. There will be positive growth. There will be no recession.

Now somebody quote me so that AJ will see this. I seriously doubt he has the guts to make an unqualified prediction, because he is a chickenshit coward.

I certainly hope you are correctomundo

Then send all of yours to me, assuming of course you have some.

No problem. I will send you an unlimited amount of 1965 and later quarters in exchange for a corresponding amount of pre-1965 quarters.

I will even pay shipping both ways.

In the fifty years just since the removal of silver from out coinage, the actual value remaining of fiat currency compared to silver is about 12-16%. At that rate of inflation, in 2065 the value remaining in fiat currency compared to a 1964 Silver dollar will be 2 cents.

"Rebound?" From nothing? What a brave prediction. Of course there will be a modest increase in the rate of non-growth.

How about predicting the point where the Obama (non)Recovery attains 1/4 of the strength of the (supposedly discredited supply-side ecomomics) Reagen Recovery?

I'm well aware of the currency markets and have been for decades. What I'm speaking of goes beyond that. The growing attitude that fiat money actually has true value all its own.

Ishmael

Here, again, I don't understand your point. The "attitude" has been "growing" ever since the U.S. got off the gold standard. Why is this such a revelation to you now?

We could go back to the gold standard if you feel that our paper money needs the backing of a hard asset like gold. But that would radically skew the global economy in favour of gold-producing areas like China (#1) and Australia (#2) relative to their populations and their respective economies. I don't see that as a solution to anything other than to make China even more powerful than it is now.

Frankly, gold was yesterday's economy. Ideas are today's economy, and particularly when capital (gold) is fluid and available anywhere at the touch of a few buttons, it doesn't matter what country has the most gold. It will always go where it finds the highest return, and without a fiat currency, that place is unlikely to the the U.S.

But bluntly, going back to gold is a stupid idea. 99% of the population wouldn't have any even though 100% dream about it.

Last edited:
Here, again, I don't understand your point. The "attitude" has been "growing" ever since the U.S. got off the gold standard. Why is this such a revelation to you now?

We could go back to the gold standard if you feel that our paper money needs the backing of a hard asset like gold. But that would radically skew the global economy in favour of gold-producing areas like China (#1) and Australia (#2) relative to their populations and their respective economies. I don't see that as a solution to anything other than to make China even more powerful than it is now.

Frankly, gold was yesterday's economy. Ideas are today's economy, and particularly when capital (gold) is fluid and available anywhere at the touch of a few buttons, it doesn't matter what country has the most gold. It will always go where it finds the highest return, and without a fiat currency, that place is unlikely to the the U.S.

But bluntly, going back to gold is a stupid idea. 99% of the population wouldn't have any even though 100% dream about it.

So you feel that all of the assets that 99% of Americans hold would have no value if suddenly every fake dollar was backed by 1/1,600th of an oz of gold?

You think economies revolve on who can type in 1s and 0s the fastest to create fake money?

Not on goods and services produced? Not on acquisition of raw materials and the value added to those raw materials?

So, if our federal reserve is just more nimble than the Chinese version of a central bank, we win and prosper.

Really?

PS the China doesnt lead in the highly useful copper. Their huge copper mine project plans are in limbo when the reserves did not prove out as expected.

This is why they were a while back stockpiling copper at $4 a lb. Not just because of the intrinsic value of copper but because our economy could not be counted on tho have the capital available to mine our reserves, and our politicians are not thought to have the will to intervene in the Congo if necessary to protect the 40x richer reserves there.

Last edited:
So you feel that all of the assets that 99% of Americans hold would have no value if suddenly every fake dollar was backed by 1/1,600th of an oz of gold?

You think economies revolve on who can type in 1s and 0s the fastest to create fake money?

Not on goods and services produced? Not on acquisition of raw materials and the value added to those raw materials?

So, if our federal reserve is just more nimble than the Chinese version of a central bank, we win and prosper.

Really?

First, there's no assurance that our Federal Reserve is more nimble than the Chinese version. In fact, the opposite is almost certainly true given that - as I stated previously - China is the world's largest producer of gold. This would give the Chinese the advantage of scale and flexibility, two things that can't be beat by any number of "USA #1 bumpers".

To use your numbers, look at all the things you own around you right now. Now imagine that they're worth 1/1,600th of what they were worth yesterday.....

....now tell me how happy you are with the prospect of your entire net worth being devalued so as to remind you of Monopoly money.

Now tell me how you're going to achieve wealth when 1/1600th of a pittance is still a pittance. Then figure out how you're going to live your life without technology because the majority of our tech is gold-based.

As to the acquisition of raw materials, please tell me how you - with your net worth now worth 1/1600th of what it was worth yesterday - are going to acquire "raw materials". Going to pan for it? Hope to hit on a previously undiscovered gold streak?

Now tell me you're better off for it.

Last edited:
Back