Is Cunnilingus a 'blowjob'?

TheRedChamber

Apprentice
Simple yes or no question.

Obviously, it's a form of oral sex, but the term blowjob for the act of pleasuring around a vulva has never sat right with me, especially when it's plainly stated - 'He gave her a blowjob' It just feels wrong.

That said blowjob is a good work for how frank it is and there's not quite any equivalent word for 'oral sex on females' - 'eat her out' is nearly there but a bit too unwieldy.

Thoughts?

Is Cunnilingus a 'blowjob'?​

Not if you're doing it right.

Other than 'mouth on genitals' there are no similarities that I can think of.

*thinks about it some more*
Nope. No significant similarities. Penises get licked, but, yeah, that's it.

"went down on" or "gave head" seem to be the universal phrases.

Interesting. I've never heard going down on a vaj referred to as giving head.

Go down on her. Eat her pussy. Eat her out. If you want to get more crude, have/get a furburger, eat a taco, eat vertical taco, eat bearded taco, a whole lot of food references I guess. (shrug)

And of course, no I have never heard of going down on a woman called a blowjob. Men get blown or sucked or sucked off. Women get eaten.

Interesting. I've never heard going down on a vaj referred to as giving head.

Go down on her. Eat her pussy. Eat her out. If you want to get more crude, have/get a furburger, eat a taco, eat vertical taco, eat bearded taco, a whole lot of food references I guess. (shrug)

And of course, no I have never heard of going down on a woman called a blowjob. Men get blown or sucked or sucked off. Women get eaten.
Do not forget Carpet munching!

I mean, who BLOWS on it?

My significant other. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously. Shall we say she was "pleasantly experienced" when we met and eventually married, but she was never into oral, give or take. Fast forward 35 years and the topic was broached. She wanted to try it. It became incumbent on me to correct her understanding of the nomenclature.

Actually the better question is; is a Blowjob a BLOWjob?

I mean, who BLOWS on it?

Here's some research into the term in related languages:

French: tailler une pipe (carve a pipe); or "fellation"

Spanish: mamada (suck, as in mammary)

German: "blowjob" or geblasen (blow)

Dutch: pijpen (pipe)

Italian: pompino (pump)

Swedish: avsugen (sucked)

Japanese: フェラ (blow)

Russion: минет. (Borrowed from French, “kitty”)

Notes:

-- Several languages use a similar term to English, but it's unclear whether they're borrowing from English or English borrowed from them.

-- Russian has a lot of borrow words from French (Russian nobility used to speak it natively). I remember seeing the term 'minette' in a De Sade work. It was untranslated but the discussion seemed to imply fellatio. And one dictionary translated the Russian term as "French-style sex".

-- On the other hand, what are the French thinking?

-- The Spanish, Swedish, and Italians seem to get it right, physiologically.

Different English dictionaries give very different etymologies, but it seems to be of 20th century origin.

Here's my etymological speculation: the one who blows isn't the fellatrix (or fellator), it's the one receiving the job. You know, "Thar she blows!" sort of thing. Why isn't that the term for a handjob? Maybe because of the association with breath and by association mouth.

My significant other. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously. Shall we say she was "pleasantly experienced" when we met and eventually married, but she was never into oral, give or take. Fast forward 35 years and the topic was broached. She wanted to try it. It became incumbent on me to correct her understanding of the nomenclature.
Nomencliture surely. Lol

Obviously, it's a form of oral sex, but the term blowjob for the act of pleasuring around a vulva has never sat right with me, especially when it's plainly stated - 'He gave her a blowjob' It just feels wrong.

That said blowjob is a good work for how frank it is and there's not quite any equivalent word for 'oral sex on females' - 'eat her out' is nearly there but a bit too unwieldy.

Thoughts?
"Pussy licking" seems like a fine phrase.

Not if you're doing it right.

Other than 'mouth on genitals' there are no similarities that I can think of.

*thinks about it some more*
Nope. No significant similarities. Penises get licked, but, yeah, that's it.
I would say that if done right, both include a mixture of kissing, licking, and sucking.

It seems like the general consensus is that I'm normal and it's the people around me who are weird. How often does it shake out like that?

"Pussy licking" seems like a fine phrase.
It's still four syllables to blowjobs two. A fine partner for 'cock sucking' but not the number one most immediate term.

I once had an affair with a woman from the S Wales valleys who called cunnilingus a blowjob. I was like "really, that's what you call it?" and she was like "just fucking do it and put the dictionary away" 🤣

Sure! Why not? I used to call all masturbation "jerking off". I remember a cis, het man blocking me on Yahoo messenger after he asked how often I masturbate. I responded to his question by telling him I rarely jerk off. I guess he assumed I have a penis and he got scared.

I've read scripture from days of yore that referred to a "b'low job", i.e. "down below".

I've never heard of going down on a woman as a 'blowjob.'

And my wife doesn't use that term when describing when I 'go down' on her. She only calls it a blowjob when offering to go down on me, by saying "Tonight, I'll give you a blowjob."
When she stops, after getting me hard, and asks "What position do you want?" I started correcting her by saying "That wasn't really a 'blowjob' unless the job is done."

About once per month, she'll finish the job. Sometimes, she edge's me, controlling me and getting excited herself, knowing she's in control until I erupt. Other times, she'll reply "Well, my mouth is tired and that's all you're getting, so get over it. Now which way do you want me? On my knees? Or on my back?"

Thoughts?
Personally, the answer to the yes or no question is no, it's not.

From a writer's perspective: if you use 'blowjob' to imply cunnilingus in a story, it will no doubt just lead to confusion or make the reader think you made a mistake. But I agree with the broader point that there does seem to be a lack of a good, one-word description for cunnilingus. 'Ate her out' I think is really the gold standard for brevity and acceptability.

In a story, if you're describing the act taking place, I would just steer clear of using anything except the usual descriptive stuff. If you're referring to the act, I would go with 'eat her out' or I think there's a place for the implied 'licked': "First I got her on the bed, then I licked her, then I fucked her," probably implies cunnilingus. "He was such a considerate lover: licked me until I came, then wouldn't even accept a blowjob to thank him." Would anyone interpret that as him licking a different area of the body? Ditto 'ate' as in 'ate her, fucked her' etc.

It seems like the general consensus is that I'm normal and it's the people around me who are weird. How often does it shake out like that?

It's still four syllables to blowjobs two. A fine partner for 'cock sucking' but not the number one most immediate term.
This reminds me of George Carlin's routine about how euphemisms have more syllables than than the original term. However, accuracy sometimes overrules that concept.

This reminds me of George Carlin's routine about how euphemisms have more syllables than than the original term. However, accuracy sometimes overrules that concept.
euphemisms exist to be entertaining, colorful, informative, humorous, or to muffle anger so yes, more syllables are going to be expended. I just think they're fun.

Back