Into the Fire (closed for Jack Hemingway)

He had taken her hint and held her to the bed while giving her hair a hard pull, sending her over the edge again, which pulled a shrill cry from her throat as she climaxed hard, soaking him and the sheets underneath her. His thrusts were deep, his body hard against hers as he found his own release, groaning her name. He rolled off her, panting, his breath hot on her ear before he kissed and nipped at her lips. Their hands roamed as they kissed, nothing less than familiar with the terrain of each other's bodies. They laid together for a while, their chests rising and falling in unison, his strong body under hers.

Partner. Honey. Baby. He had several pet names for her, and each one made her feel a certain way. And though she usually hated being called Alexandra, the way he said it made her stomach do a weird flip-flop. She didn't know what to say, so she just nodded, content to lie there with him. The sun began to stream through the windows, casting a warm glow across the room.

She sighed and snuggled closer to him. "I'm glad I stayed too," she said finally, tracing a finger along the tattoo on his shoulder. It was strange how he made her feel like they'd known each other forever, even though they'd only met a few days ago. He smiled against her shoulder before kissing her forehead and caressing her hair.

Butch caressed Lexi's hair and looked into her eyes, and they found a comfortable place for themselves on the messy bed. His head was on a pillow, and she spooned next to him with her head resting on his chest, her wild red mane spread everywhere. Wrapped in blankets, thanks to them rolling around and cuddling. There was just enough darkness and enough post-sex fatigue that they drifted off for a while longer. It was an excellent, dreamy state, and it felt good to have Lexi sleeping so close to that. Spending years in the firehouse, you got to hear all kinds of bragging from your peers about the wild times and exotic women they liked to have sex with. Sometimes, in more graphic details than you cared for over your morning coffee.

Butch had been married awhile, but he never understood the appeal of having sex with a stranger, much less sleeping with one. It had to be awkward, but you'd never learn things like he did about Alexandra through a quick bump and grind. You might get off, and you probably would have fun, but well, how do you relax and enjoy things? There was something about being with Lexi in that there was something more behind the sex. Friendship, respect, and understanding let them release more and be comfortable together. One thing for sure: what he did with Lexi wouldn't be something brought up at coffee at the firehouse. Butch enjoyed what they had, whatever it was too much to cause her grief. For now, most people seemed to think he was still getting over his divorce, and that was the cover. Looking down at Lexi sleeping on his chest in his bed, at least part of him was comfortable with moving on.

With a day off, you had to balance complete relaxation, productivity, and working out. So, while you might let yourself sleep in, you had to do laundry and work out later in the morning. For Butch, it meant doing his laundry while helping in the bar and then avoiding the temptation to stay and drink too long when he needed to work out. Mentally, he had a list of things to do, and most of them started after giving Lexi a breakfast burrito and refilling her mega coffee mug, kissing her goodbye, and wishing her a good day off. So far, nobody had mentioned her Jeep being parked in the lot overnight, but this was the second time in a row. They knew she came over late to eat and do laundry. Was her staying over and him sleeping on the couch so much of a stress? Well, they did have a few drinks. It's best not to bring it up if they didn't.

What brought back both Lexi and Butch painfully back to reality was the sound of a progressively louder classic music song. Lexi sat up in bed right away, and Butch did as well, searching around for the source of the song. His phone was on the nightstand next to the old standby clock radio, and neither was making a sound. Butch rubbed his eyes and was about to kiss Lexi, and she jumped out of bed, cursing as she ran around looking for something. Butch got out of bed and, for a moment, enjoyed watching Lexi run around naked and out into the hallway where her stuff was. He called after her, "Lexi, what is it, honey? You forgot an appointment or something you like.."

Before he could continue, Lexi walked in naked but holding her cell phone in one hand, and with the other hand, she was making the shhh sign and shaking her head vigorously. "No, Mom, that was the TV. I'm sorry, I couldn't find the remote. I was doing Yoga and had the music going and everything. I wasn't sleeping in. No, I haven't forgotten about dinner with you and Dad at the club since I'm free for once."

Butch sighed and moved past Lexi as quietly as he could. He wanted to give her a hug of support after hearing her side of things, but he closed the door, gently pulled on a pair of shorts in the hallway, took the burritos out of the fridge, and started the coffee.

Lexi pinched the bridge of her nose, listening to her mother go on and on, on the other side of the phone, about how important it was for them to have dinner as a family. She knew it was true, but just the thought of going to the club and sitting there for hours, trying to have small talk with her parents and appease them.

"Okay, Mom. I understand. I'll be there. I love you too," she said, finally, unable to come up with anything else to say. She hung up the phone, and sighed heavily, rubbing her eyes with the heels of her hands. She hadn't been lying when she'd told her mom that she hadn't forgotten about dinner. She'd just wanted to enjoy the peace in their little corner of the world for a little bit longer.

Lexi pulled on a pair of underwear and the t-shirt she'd slept in before wandering out of the bedroom and to the kitchen. Butch was making busy work of getting breakfast burritos warmed up and getting the coffee going. She walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist, resting her chin on his shoulder. "Thanks for that," she said quietly.

Butch kept to his work on the counter but turned his head to look at her and smile back. "I didn't do anything. I was nice to someone I care about. I get it. Things are complicated."

He wiped his hands on a dishcloth, turned around, hugged her close, and looked into her eyes. "Counting today, we have three days off before it is back to the grind. See your parents tomorrow I'm sure you look very hot in heels and a dress, and if you want come to my parent's house Sunday. They'll be thrilled to give a partner of mine a good meal. Things will be much less formal. Don't feel you have to, though. You're my partner, and I know you have a life. We already spend all day together at work, but I like spending time with you I don't want to think you have too. Oh, can you do something about your hair?"

The last comment got the most significant reaction but they enjoyed a quite morning together. They hugged they talked, and they had breakfast that morning and things went on almost seamlessly interrupted by being unsure what to do next almost like their EMS work routine of playing off each other. They listened to music after going back and forth on what playlist to use and then stripped the bed again, laughing at how they were doing it again and putting it all in the washer. Then they cleaned up the kitchen with Lexi, finding out where things went and what he liked. Despite doing a lot of bar food Butch did eat a lot of healthy options and the lunch he'd made her was just one of h is food preps. Later he'd be going to the market and buying stuff for the week though he did raid his parent's bar occasionally, but they ordered in bulk and he helped them out. After the washer finished the load of bedding, they loaded everything into the drier and sank into a nice hot tub. It started with Lexi at one end and Butch at the other, but after he massaged her feet, she moved to the other side and washed her hair. The laid together for a bit, but as the water started to get colder they slipped out toweled off each other and Lexi got dressed. Clad in the leggings and t-shirt he'd given her, they embraced and headed home.

Butch moved through the rest of his day like usually planned which included a trip to the farmer's market, calls to family and friends, and a trip to the neighborhood gym where he found himself taking part in a pickup game of basketball. All the while, though he had a smile and even a few friends commented on his pleasant demeanor. Butch thought he was always friendly with people, but they said he was just a little happier. He didn't mind the good feelings, but there was no reason to share why. It was complicated but good, so he enjoyed the next two days being a bartender again.

The door to Lexi's Jeep was opened by a valet of Canyon Creek Country Club. She had to be mindful not jumping out as she normally would, wearing a pair of black suede pumps with a 3" heel, and a deep navy dress with short butterfly sleeves, a sweetheart neckline, and the flowing skirt hit her about 4 inches above the knees. "Thanks," she offered, placing the key fob into the valet's waiting hand before stepping up onto the curb. She took a deep breath, steeling herself for the next couple hours with her parents.

She loved her parents, she knew they always had her best interest at heart, even though they didn't agree with the life path she took and weren't exactly supportive of her dreams. Her father had suggested going to medical school if the medical field is what she wanted to be in, but she couldn't see herself in school for another 4 years, with 4 years of residency work after that. Plus, being cooped up in a hospital or clinic all day wasn't appealingeither. Her mother... Well, her mother would rather Alexandra marry a doctor and focus on creating a family, to continue the Hartman lineage.

Brushing her fingers through the soft red curls of her hair, Lexi headed inside. The familiar sights and sounds of the country club's grand dining room greeted her as she approached the hostess stand. The rich mahogany paneling, the crisp white linen tablecloths, the gleaming silverware, and the fresh flowers arranged on each table all combined to create an atmosphere of opulence and luxury. Lexi had grown up in this environment, the daughter of Natasha Hartman and Richard Hartman, two of the club's most prominent members.

As she scanned the room, she noticed her parents already seated at their usual table, looking every bit the picture of sophistication. Something seemed different, however. There was an extra place setting at the table, and she couldn't help but feel a twinge of apprehension. She was right. There was an extra person at the table. Lexi's heart sank as she recognized the tall, broad-shouldered figure of Derek Pearson. He was a financial advisor and had been contracted a few times for various ventures by her father's companies. It was no secret that her mother had been trying to set her up with him for months. Lexi had been dodging her mother's matchmaking attempts, but it seemed that tonight would be the night she couldn't avoid it anymore.

Derek stood as she approached the table, offering his hand in greeting. His grip was firm and confident, but there was also an awkwardness to the gesture. He was attractive in a more traditional way than she usually went for, with his short, dark hair styled neatly and clean-shaven face. "Lexi, it's good to finally meet you," he said with a smile. His brown eyes crinkled at the corners as he offered her a seat. Lexi forced a polite smile and took her seat, glancing over at her parents. Richard seemed oblivious to the tension that Lexi was feeling with her mother, engrossed as he was in his conversation with Derek about the stock market. Their conversation at dinner meandered from one topic to another, with Derek and her father dominating the discussion about business and investments. Natasha, ever the doting mother, tried to steer the conversation toward more personal matters, pressing Derek for details about his family and his interests outside of work.

Lexi found herself tuning out their conversation, instead focusing on the way the candlelight flickered across Derek's face as he spoke. There was an intensity to him that she couldn't deny finding attractive, but there was also a sense of detachment that made her feel like she was talking to a salesman more than a potential suitor. She caught herself checking her phone under the table, pretending to scroll through her messages, just to avoid making eye contact with either of them.

Dinner came to an end and as they were saying their goodbyes, Derek asked for Lexi's number. She couldn't help but feel a bit annoyed because she couldn't say 'no' with her parents right there. She also knew her mother would be ecstatic. As they exchanged numbers, she couldn't help but notice the way Derek's fingers lingered on her hand, almost as if he were trying to convey some sort of hidden message.

Outside, the night air was cool and crisp, a refreshing contrast to the stuffy dining room. Lexi leaned against her father's black Mercedes, watching as Derek's silver Audi pulled out of the parking spot. As he drove away, she sighed, feeling a weight lift off her shoulders. She glanced at her phone, debating whether or not to call it a night and head home. Just as she was about to make the decision, she felt a familiar presence approach her.

"So, what did you think of him?" her mother asked, her voice laced with hope.

Lexi looked up at her mother and sighed. "Mom, I really wish you would stop trying to set me up. I just don't see the point. I mean, I never have anything in common with them..." Her voice trailed off as she watched a group of people walking past them, laughing and talking loudly.

"But Lexi," her mother protested, "he's such a nice man, and he's very successful."

Lexi rolled her eyes. "That's not what I'm looking for, Mom. I don't want someone because of what they have or who they know. I want someone who I can be myself around, someone who makes me laugh and who I can actually have a conversation with."

Her mother pursed her lips, looking disappointed. "Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that. I just want what's best for you, sweetie." She paused for a moment, then added, "But I do think you should give Derek a chance. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy to me, and he's obviously interested in you."

Lexi sighed again. "But what if I'm not interested in him? What if I don't want to have a family? What if for once you let me do what I want with my life instead of trying to fit me into this picture perfect expectation you have of me?" Her Jeep pulled up behind her father's Mercedes and the valet brought her the key fob.

Her mother's face flushed with anger. "Fine, Lexi. Have it your way. But remember, you'll be thirty soon, and time is running out. You should start thinking about settling down and having a family of your own." She turned on her heel and walked away, leaving Lexi feeling more confused and frustrated than ever.

As she drove home, Lexi couldn't shake the feeling that she had disappointed her mother. She hated feeling this way, like she was letting her down. But the truth was, she didn't want what her mother wanted for her. She wanted to experience life on her own terms.

Her phone pinged as she walked in her front door, indicating a new text message.

Derek: Had a great time tonight. You free for dinner tomorrow, just the two of us?

Lexi groaned, rubbing her hand over her face.

Last edited:
Miles away from the Canyon Creek Country Club both geographically and socially Mac's Bar and Grill was buzzing with activity. Half the patrons watched hockey while the others enjoyed soccer on the satellite. Buy one platter of nachos and get the next platter half off was also bringing in many hungry people and behind the bar Butch was busting his ass serving cold drinks and running orders. The fire department had rules about side work involving serving alcohol, but as his parents pointed out to him one of the few exceptions was working at family owned establishments. Leave it to his parents to find that rule, but the bar was filled with long time clients and most of them were pretty much friends who paid at this point. It wasn't a bad time, but it was a busy time, but it would all be worth it when the night was over, and he'd helped his parents and be rewarded with a big meal Sunday with the family.

After helping bus a few tables Butch was on his way back to the bar when Peaches, a very attractive college student who was on her third year of watressing for the family waved him over to the phone mounted on the wall. Sporting one of the aprons with her jeans and t-shirt the deep ebony skinned philosophy major yelled out when he got closer. "Your mom wants to know if your partner is coming to dinner tomorrow. She asked me, but I have to study to do and do laundry."

Butch grumbled and put the container of dirty dishes and glasses on the edge of the bar and looked over, and yelled back. "You know you're welcome to do laundry over there and have a bite."

"I know but last time your Mom did all my clothes and cooked. She's to nice she needs more of a day off besides it's a study group. What do you want me to tell her."

"Give her my love and tell her I'll text her when I hear back from my partner," Kelly nodded and started talking on the phone again. The Fitzpatrick clan was picky about who they hired, but once you earned their trust, you were well treated, paid, and more importantly you were family. Peaches had earned several scholarships, but money was still tight but she earned real money while learning barroom philosophy from people who never taught at a college. She'd also learned to be a good bartender and learned to love hockey. She watched Butch head into the kitchen as she chatted with his Mom about class, her parents, and how crazy the night was until she had to get back to work.

Butch took a quick assessment of the dish washing area which was going hard and fast to keep up with the patrons before moving over to see if the rest of the kitchen was caught up. With no food waiting and the bar in good hands, he took out his cell phone and texted Lexi. He knew she was at dinner tonight so he wouldn't bother her, but he wanted to know. She'd be welcomed no matter what, but he liked to give his mother a good count. She'd make too much food anyway and send everyone home with containers, but it was a courtesy. So he sent her a message as he stood off to the side in the busy kitchen.

Lexi: Hey, I hope you're having a good dinner. I'm sure you look great. Feel free to send me a selfie. Anyway, are you coming to the family dinner tomorrow? Yes/No? Totally up to you but you're welcome. Drive Safe.

Simple and to the point and not overly clingy or anything. If she came great if she didn't want to or couldn't that was fine to there would be plenty of opportunities in the future and she was his partner not his girlfriend. He would make that very clear to his siblings before they started asking her if she could wear a white wedding dress and if they could babysit. They'd probably ask the latter anyway, knowing his brother and his sister would challenge her to push-ups, but it would be fun to have Lexi around. Still, she wasn't the first partner he'd brought over, but she would be the first woman since his ex-wife. For the second time that night though he saw Peaches coming into the kitchen looking for him and walked up to him.

"We have a takeout order of three garlic wings to go out?"

"So what wrap it up give them some napkins and charge them."

"Well, they added to the order when they got here. House Margaritas, leave it in the pitcher and give me a straw."

"Only one person puts in an order like that..."Butch didn't have to finish, and Peaches just nodded. He told Peaches to package the wings, headed out into the dining area, and saw Lolo standing by the door on her cell phone, rocking a leather jacket, leopard print mini-skirt, and 4 inch heels.

Butch walked right up to Lolo, who hung up and looked at him. Before she could say anything, he began with, "Celtic Cheers is five blocks from the house, and they stole our menu and you know how to make Margaritas so why are you here?"

Perturbed Lolo replied "I like the food here thanks and I was on a girls night out and got hungry. They wanted to go to some sushi place, so I headed out on my own. So you want to buy me a drink and tell me about this department bitch you're hanging out with?"

Butch let out a sigh and shook his head. "Where to start? You've had a boyfriend for most of the year. We put in paperwork so we don't have a say in who the other dates. Which by the way I'm not doing. If anyone calls you about who I'm hanging out with, it is my partner. Right now, we're all working on being friends and a good work routine. Not that you care, but a bunch of people were total jerks to her, and I won't let that happen again. She was the one I had the save with the other day so is it okay that I bought her a drink?"

"Look I called because I was worried then I hear you're hanging out having bar food, shooting pool, and drinking with people? Sorry if I thought you were being a little cold!"

"So you waited until Saturday night to check up on me? Lolo, what the hell is going on?"

Annoyed and upset, Lolo replied, "I called the other day when you finished the rescue it seemed like the first time you weren't acting like there was an us any more. I mean all the other times we talked half of me wanted you to come home. I know I know it would have been a disaster but well we were happy too some of the time right? So tonight, I'm out with my girls doing shots, talking about finding me someone to have fun with and hang out or whatever, and it felt so lousy like I had someone and I was wasting my time."

Butch let out a deep breath. "Lolo, we shared a lot of time together but well, we were each doing our own thing, and well we never made time for each other. It was always if it worked out and when we were both free. How many years have passed since we made time to be together? Besides, I thought you found someone who got you?"

Lolo laughed and leaned in and kissed Butch on the cheek. "I did and even he thinks I work to much. I'm trying to make some changes. You know I would have returned to your apartment with you after just a few drinks, and we could have had some fun."

Butch smiled and hugged her. He whispered into her ear. "We had our fun and it's done now, but I don't hate you, but let's not make each other miserable again. Let's be friends again, okay?"

Head over his shoulder, she nodded and said in a low voice. "I think we can do that. Whenever you wanna get your stuff, let me know. I hope you think about me from time to time and smile. Oh and this new girl I hope she takes good care of you. You deserve it."

As they separated and Peaches saw her opening to bring the large package of wings over, Lolo started laughing. "Yeah, and you just helped me out by changing the tire on my car and next thing I knew we were going to the prom together."

"Ah you asked me remember?"

"Yeah well I felt sorry for you. Any chance of one for the road?"

"Sure, one ice water and then get home safe. Hug the dogs for me, okay?"

Just as she was responding an apologetic 'no' to Derek, saying she had plans, another text came through.

Butch: Hey, I hope you're having a good dinner. I'm sure you look great. Feel free to send me a selfie. Anyway, are you coming to the family dinner tomorrow? Yes/No? Totally up to you but you're welcome. Drive Safe.

She had totally forgotten about dinner at his parents' house the next day. She knew she was more than welcome, that they hadn't been anything but nice to her, but she didn't want to feel like an intruder. Still, it would give her a legitimate excuse if Derek pressed as to why she couldn't go out to dinner with him.

Wandering to her bedroom, Lexi made a point to snap a quick picture of herself in the full-length mirror she had tucked into a corner and sent it to him before stripping out of the dress.

Lexi: Do you want to pick me up or should I meet you at the bar?

She paused, considering herself in the mirror again. Under the dress, she'd been wearing a lacy black bra with matching cheeky underwear that highlighted the curve of her ass. In a moment of feeling brazen, she turned, glancing over her shoulder into the mirror while popping her hip, and took another picture. She sent the photo to him, her heart pounding as she hit send.

Lexi: Or you could come over tonight?

For Butch, the night finally began to slow down a bit. He talked to Lolo at the bar, and after a large glass of water and a coffee, she was on her way with her wings and plenty of scraps for the dogs. He helped Peaches and Carsen handle the crowd, who seemed more interested in just drinks in t his part of the night, so they piled up the platters as kitchen service winded down for the evening. Finally Butch got a chance to look at his phone and was happy to see a very sexy looking Lexi showing off her country club look. It was his first time in a dress and her first time with makeup, well, at least for Butch to see, and he was about to reply with how impressed he was when he noticed the other message and almost dropped his phone. He quickly recovered, looked again, and read the message to be clear. She wasn't kidding; she looked super hot, which was totally unexpected. What was more important though it was almost thirty minutes prior, he could only imagine what she was thinking by now. He looked over at Peaches, who was wiping down the bar. "Hey, I got to go. A friend needs me. I know you're good to lock up with Carsen, right?"

Peaches nodded as Butch grabbed his jacket as he texted, walking out the back door to his truck. The message was short and sweet.

Lexi: Just saw your message you look beautiful and I'm coming over tonight now! Please don't be mad at me.

Depending on traffic it was about a twenty to thirty minute ride to Alexandra's house as she'd explained it. Most mornings, she said she left well before the start of work and would read a book in the car or have coffee in the firehouse. Butch had no such luxuries right now, and despite what the GPS predicted, it was eighteen minutes later, Butch was pulling into Alexndra's driveway behind her Jeep with a loud screech. He ran up to the doorway and knocked on the door loudly and a light came on and Alexandra came to the door in a fluffy purple terry cloth robe with the hood up. Butch held out some roses to her and she smiled and said softly, "Oh hey you took my invitation to have some coco before bed that's sweet of you."

Butch sighed and stepped into the house, closing the door behind them as Lexi smelled the lovely flowers. "I didn't get your message right away. It was loud at the bar. It won't happen again. Once again, I am sorry."

"You had time to buy flowers, though?"

"Well, this kid on the offramp was selling them, and they looked pretty. And wait a minute, you're screwing with me, Lexi!"

She started laughing and smiled at him, but he didn't wait. He just pulled open her robe and took it down off her shoulders, pulling her close as he unwrapped her, revealing the lovely naughty underwear she was wearing in the picture. He pulled her close, nuzzled her, and inhaled her scent as his hands wondered about her body before gripping her panty-covered butt firmly and whispering into her ear. "I always think you're beautiful, and tonight you look exceptionally, so I don't want you to think I take that for granted for one second."

She let out a moan in response, rubbed against his chest, and whispered back. "The heels were killing me, and I felt cold, but I wanted to look sexy for you, but I wasn't going to bed until I heard back from you. MMM...You smell like beer and nachos."

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that, honey. I should just have showered or called you first."

She covered his lips with her finger and whispered. "I like nachos, honey. It's okay you're here now."

With that, Butch was unclasping her bra and pulling it off over her head, and he tossed it aside, and his hands came down her body, caressing her and yanking down her panties. He savagely kissed her pushing her against the wall of the entry way of the house as he made sure not to hurt he but make her feel that he was in control of the movement and that she was so desired. Lexi started pulling at his clothes, not really carrying, just as long as they came off, and he aided her as much as he could as they pooled on the floor below him. His hands went to her breasts and caressed them and looked into her eyes with desire and knew she wanted the same. They could be primal with each other because they had the security of knowing there was more behind it than just screwing. Butch grabbed her right leg and lifted it holding it against his hip as he felt her freshly shaven leg wrap around his body above his butt, and he pushed inside her while they were standing up. Holding her while she was against the wall, he made sure to steady her head as he kissed her and thrust hard inside her, loving the familiar feeling. Her arms wrapped around his neck, and they kissed and fucked with vigorous passion. Lexi's butt bounced off the wall as the sounds of sex were clear and loud. So loud Butch was sure they each glanced over at the door to make sure it was closed more than once, but otherwise, they were lost in the moment.

He worked to make Lexi cum, and he felt those feelings again as she reacted with waves of passion. The look on her face and the moans let him know she was giving in to the pleasures. He kept going beyond that until she orgasmed again, and he did it with her as his body tensed. He kept pumping into her until his cock slide out of her very slick hole and he held her tight as they panted together. She slid her leg down and kissed him, and he caressed her and looked into her eyes. He kissed the top of her forehead as she leaned into him and whimpered something softly, and he caressed her back. Butch would have a hard time explaining his relationship with Lexi. It was one of trust and respect and indeed friendship, and they felt close enough to be intimate with no awkward feelings of regret even though they had just met, he was just out of a relationship never mind he was her training officer. But in that moment when I was holding her tight and inside her, all was right with the world, and the moment was perfect, and this woman helped make it that way.

Butch caressed her cheek and kissed her on the lips. "I have my overnight bag in the car."

"You can get it later. Let me show you my place. I hope that wasn't it for the evening."

"No, not by a long shot partner." Their fingers interlaced, and they stayed close for a long minute.

Lexi was beginning to wonder if she made a mistake sending the second picture when he didn't respond. She had a brief moment of absolute horror thinking she possibly sent it to Derek, but no, Butch just wasn't responding. Almost an hour later he finally responded, and relief washed over her and she sent her address.

Opening the door to him, and flowers of all things, made her insides do funny things. But she couldn't help but mess with him a little, and his response was nothing short of priceless. Pulling off her robe, he was like a kid on Christmas and wasted no time letting his hands wander all over her body.

He was hungry for her, and she was more than willing to give herself over to him as he stripped her bra and panties off and pushed her against the wall. His hands moved down her body, touching and caressing, and her hands made quick work of pulling his shirt over his head and unbuttoning his pants. He stepped out of them and she felt the hardness of his erection against her thigh as he kissed her deeply, his tongue tangling with hers. Lexi moaned into the kiss as he pulled her leg up to his hip and he pushed his cock deep inside her.

Her orgasm built slowly at first, a gentle wave that grew stronger with each thrust, until it crashed over her in a powerful surge. Butch seemed to know exactly what she needed, each touch, each thrust sending another ripple of pleasure through her. Just as her first orgasm seemed to fade, he brought her to a second, equally intense climax, following it with his own. His body tensed against hers as he let out a deep, satisfied groan.

Their fingers laced together, and the promise of more floating in the air, she led him through the small house. The entry way opened up into the living room, with a three-seat couch sat in front of a coffee table, and TV mounted on the opposite wall. Various pictures hung on the wall, photos with friends and family, and a few framed certificates from her various trainings and promotions. Off the living room was the kitchen and dining area, and a hallway that led to two bedrooms and one of the bathrooms.

"This is where I sleep when I'm not 'doing laundry' at your place," she said with a teasing tone, using air quote for extra emphasis, while she led him into the main bedroom. The walls were a soft shade of blue, and the room was furnished with a large king-sized bed that was neatly made, a nightstand on either side with lamps on both, and a dresser against the wall opposite the bed. A window let in a soft stream of moonlight, casting a peaceful glow over the room, and the air smelled faintly of her favorite scented candles. Some may say it wasn't much, but it was home, and it was hers.

She turned to face him, and they stood there for a moment, just looking at each other. There was something in the way he looked at her that made her skin flush. "What?" she asked with a curious smile.

"I was just thinking how beautiful you are," he replied, his eyes never leaving hers. "And how lucky I am to be here with you."

He reached out and brushed a stray hair away from her face, and Lexi felt her cheeks heat even more, and she was somewhat thankful for the dim lighting at the moment.

"You're not just some pretty face, you know," he continued. "You're smart, and funny, and sexy as hell."

Lexi bit her lip, not quite sure how to respond. She hadn't expected this. It was one thing to have a little fun, a little banter back and forth, but something about the way he would look at her, the way he would talk to her, about her... It made her feel all kinds of things she hadn't expected.

Lexi let out a loud giggle, pushed back against him, and turned and kissed his cheek, and as he held her around the waist in front of the mirror, she'd taken pictures in front of earlier in the now well-lit bedroom. This was after Butch made sure the drapes were closed while Lexi retrieved her cell phone. She was glowing after sex and feeling good energy. She turned sideways, still keeping him close, feeling him getting hard. "Come on, you're not serious. I don't want anyone to see this. I mean, the guys in the department can be horrible."

Butch just turned her around and had her look at herself in the mirror. "I know you're beautiful, but I don't think you do, so this picture is for you and maybe me if you want to share it. So take it like I suggested."

Lexi nodded slowly, holding out her phone and clicking it a few times before looking at the images she had captured on her cell. She flipped through a few and giggled and held the last one up so Butch could have a better view. It her nude, of course, but with Butch's tattooed solid arms around her. One hand strategically covered her vagina, and the other arm was across her breasts. This last picture, though, had him kissing her cheek and reacting happily. Butch moved his hands and began caressing her breasts, and with the other hand, he started rubbing her clit. She pushed back against him as she moaned and found a soft place to toss her phone before looking at herself being pleasured in the mirror. "MMM....Butch, I'm so going to delete those. I trust you, but mmm..."

"You can do whatever you want. You still look beautiful. You can tell me to fuck off tomorrow, and I won't tell anyone about this and will only say you're a good firefighter."

Lexi didn't say anything back, but her reaction spoke volumes. She spun around and reached down and grabbed his cock firmly and jerked his cock as she kissed him passionately, wrapping her arms around his neck as they kissed. Butch had to admit that she was a good kisser and liked doing it. It was a little challenging at work to not just reach out and grab her and kiss her and touch her, but he knew where that could lead, and it would probably be trouble before orgasms. Besides, the woman wanted a relationship where things happened behind closed doors. She didn't want his affection beyond the confines of the bedroom. They were fuck buddies, but even if Butch couldn't express all the feelings he wanted every time he wanted to, he knew how to show her now.

Butch reached down and grabbed her thighs firmly in his hands and pulled her legs apart as he lifted her off her feet. Lexi screamed out for a moment but then figured out what to do, and he felt her lovely smooth legs wrap around his torso and her ankles crossing behind his back. As Butch held her up to his body as his cock slid back inside her to grunts of pleasure from both. Then, holding Lexi up firmly, he began going like a jackhammer as she hung on to him. She was athletic and strong, which made it more accessible as they went at it full bore until Lexi was bouncing on his cock, making her squirt out onto his cock and body. He moved her around the room as he balanced and fucked her in her bedroom. Butch smiled and held her steady for just a moment as they kissed before he dropped her back on the bed. It was apparent that she wasn't done yet as Lexi slid back across the bed, moving her legs apart. Butch climbed on top of her and caressed her face, and looked into her eyes. He wanted to say something, but after a long pause, he mounted her again and began fucking her at one point, lifting her right leg to help him slide in deeper.

After several orgasms and Butch coming in her more than once later, the pair made their way to the bathroom and gently washed each other with hand clothes, used the facilities, and kissed before retiring to the bedroom again. They crawled under the covers together without much discussion other than a few thoughtful touches and caresses. There was still more touching, but the nature of caresses, tickling, and hugs, and when things finally settled down and both felt tired, they cuddled up close together, but on their respective sides. Lexi knew how to sleep on his chest without her hair getting caught, and Butch rested a hand on her back protectively as she slept. When he did shift or move too much in the night, she just repositioned herself and never felt the need to roll over and sleep on her side. Butch and Lexi were at peace with each other at rest.

Butch dreamed most of the night and enjoyed a restful, peaceful sleep, but at some point in the early morning hours, he woke and saw her there and gently caressed the redhead's lovely mane. A week ago, she was just his training partner, and he didn't call her by name. Then they had one of those intense moments, and everyone reacted differently, but he celebrated her courage. You went down a smokey fire-filled hallway with anyone. Well, you had some bond. They reacted, so sex is one of those intense, primal things that come up after risking your life, but they got past that; otherwise, it would have been a one-time thing, a mistake. The thing is, things continued, and how it would play out was anyone's guess. For now, though, he enjoyed their moment together like this.

It was one thing to take risqué pictures of just herself, but to take them with Butch's arms wrapped around her body was something else entirely. They were intimate and... sexy. Lexi knew she'd never show them to anyone else, but just the idea of having them hidden away somewhere made her feel warm and fuzzy inside.

He pulled her out of her thoughts when he started pleasuring her while still standing in front of the mirror, and it was almost too much. The way he touched her, the way he made her feel... It was like nothing she'd ever experienced before; erotic and intimate at the same time. It was only a matter of moments after she'd turned around that he'd picked her up and impaled her on his cock. She wrapped her legs around his waist, feeling every inch of him inside her. They moved together in a rhythm that was almost otherworldly, their bodies in perfect sync. She came hard against him, her nails digging into his back as she cried out his name.

Several orgasms later, a trip to the bathroom to get cleaned up, and they found themselves in bed under the covers and she fell asleep listening to his heartbeat under her ear.

Lexi woke to the gentle brush of his fingers through her hair. She smiled and gave a sleepy sigh as she snuggled deeper into his side. She turned her head slightly, pressing her cheek against his chest, feeling the rhythm of his breathing, the beat of his heart beneath her ear steady and strong. She shifted her weight slightly, letting her leg slide between his, and felt the warmth of their entwined bodies. She couldn't help but marvel at how they'd gone from strangers to... whatever they were now. It wasn't just anybody she'd be comfortable waking up naked in bed with and laying in contented silence.

She closed her eyes again, savoring the moment, the feel of him next to her. It was still early morning, the sun not quite up yet, the room dimly lit by the soft morning glow that filtered in around the curtains. She could hear the faint sounds of movement outside, people just starting their days, but it seemed to be miles away. It was just her and Butch, and for now, that was all that mattered.

Butch's other hand found hers where it lay on his stomach, lacing their fingers together, and give her a squeeze that spoke of affection and understanding. They lay there for a while longer, just enjoying the peace and quiet of the morning, the feeling of being together, of being... home.

Eventually, though, the need to start the day crept in. Lexi stretched lazily and turned to look at him. "G'morning," she murmured, her voice still thick with sleep. He smiled back at her, and she couldn't help but feel a warmth spread through her at the sight of his familiar features. She traced his jawline with her finger, enjoying the feeling of his rough stubble beneath her fingertip. "Sleep good?"

Lexi was amazingly pleasant to be around in the morning. While Butch embraced the morning with his usual routine of working out and preparing for the day, and being grateful to be alive, this woman made things a little happier. She liked touching him lovingly, and while there was some worry about where all this was going, he enjoyed their contact. What they had was special, but the apprehension didn't come from things being serious or changing but going away. If Butch was honest with himself, he had a few encounters after he and Lolo broke up. There were always women at the bar, and more than a few were fans of firefighters. He was a freeman, and Lolo was also out there for a time, so why not? The thing is, you'd have a passionate encounter and get off, but if you had no attachment, it was just physical pleasure. You might even like the woman, but it was only flesh deep. With Lexi, the sexual thrill was fun, but the comfort and the caring feelings meant a lot, too. They were only a week into whatever this was, so talking about it wasn't something that would happen that morning. He said to her, "Morning sunshine, I slept great. Thanks for calling me."

He gently brushed her long red mane and smiled. "I hope you liked the flowers. You really did look amazing in and out of your clothes last night. You know, I think you're pretty in station wear as well, but you clean up nice."

"Thanks, and you come off as pretty hot even if you smell like beer, nachos, and sweat."

"I would have showered if you wanted me to."

"It didn't bother me, and besides, if you wanted a shower, I would have gotten in with you anyway. I don't think we can do that at the station."

"You know I'm good with it, but I don't want anyone else looking at you, and I don't think I can explain it in my training report."

Lexi put a pillow at him, and they got out of bed and made it together. Lexi gave him some insight into her morning routine. Mediation, a light workout, and some yoga. She did tease that cardio had been taken care of, and while Butch had been intrigued by yoga, he'd never done it before. The pair stretched out on mats in her bedroom, and he made Lexi blush a few times as she moved through the different positions. She said she usually dressed, even alone, but showing him was fun. When Lexi did go in the downward dog, he moved behind her and caressed her until she moved down on the yoga mat to her knees, which she did happily as he began caressing her clitoris as his arm went around her waist. Lexi made happy sounds as his other hand caressed her breast, and he kissed around and on her derriere. At one point, as he played with her clit making her more excited, he even licked her buttocks slowly with his tongue. She moaned, satisfied, and said, "I guess we're done with yoga for now. Butch, I haven't even showered yet or brushed my teeth or.."

With the Butch grabbed Lexi by the hips and flipped her around but guided her gently down onto the yoga matt and ran his hands down her body from her shoulders to her hips as he kneeled between her legs before he leaned forward and kissed her on her lips and then nuzzled with her. He whispered into her ear, "I don't care either. You get sexier when you clean up. I think you're sexy all the time."

Their hands found each other, and fingers interlocked, and he pushed her arms back behind her as he pushed inside her fucking her on the floor with just the yoga mat there. It felt so good returning to these feelings, and he basically did push-ups on her fabulous body, but he adjusted and moved to hit all the right spots. This time, though, they were looking at each other eye to eye, and he knew how much she was enjoying it as she squeezed his hands so tight they had to take a break. He slid his arms under her to pull her closer, and Lexi grabbed his shoulders, and he kept pounding her. They soon had a good rhythm going, and there was a knowing smile between the two, and soon they approached orgasms together. The sweat, the heavy breathing, the lust in their eyes, it was hard to tell who came first. It was thunder and lightning, and they let go and were overwhelmed. Butch lay on top of her, panting as his hot breath went on her neck; something unintentionally escaped his lips. "Oh, Lexi, I love you."

It was like someone had dumped a bucket of ice water on Butch, and he wasn't sure if it was in his head or he'd whispered it, but he pulled up and out, literally kneeling back between her legs as Lexi's eyes fluttered for a minute. She sat up on her elbows and looked at him. "Butch, did you say something?"

Butch shook his head no, but it was clear she wasn't sure either, so he just said, "No, just your name Lexi. Wanna take a shower now, honey?"

Lexi nodded, unsure about what was going on. Well, that's what Butch thought anyway, and they went through the motions. It was awkward but still kind and loving. Well, Butch wanted to divorce his thinking from that word altogether, so it was gentle and sweet. Still, it was a relaxing part of the morning, tenderly showering and washing each other. Lexi truly enjoyed Butch washing her hair and back. He got her very clean, and as she washed him, he got hard again. There was a lot of smiling, giggling, and touching to the point they were both moaning as Lexi's butt pushed against the glass of the shower door, and he nibbled on her neck. They begrudgingly agreed they needed to finish their day, so they got out and toweled off. When he threatened to go out to the car naked to get his overnight bag in front of Lexi's friends and neighbors, she pulled on some fire department sweats, and with her hair still up in a towel, she walked outside and retrieved it from the car. Butch was sure she was blushing as he heard her conversing a few before she came inside and tossed him his bag. "Need me to sneak out the back way. I mean, we're not married."

"I told them you crashed on my couch and not to worry. Seems a lot of people are used to seeing me out jogging by now. Can I have breakfast, or do you want to head home now?"

"I think we can have some coffee before I head back."

Of course, Lexi wouldn't hear of it, and she whipped up some eggs and whole-grain toast, insisting that Butch sits at the kitchen table with his coffee. He tried to help her twice, but each time, he chased him back playfully with a wooden spoon, saying he'd cooked for her enough times already as Butch looked at the old green mug it proudly proclaimed Girl Scout Gold Award winner. Butch looked up questioningly at Lexi as she filled two water glasses and walked over to the table. "Yes, I was a girl scout, Kenny, and I was pretty good at it. That's how I met women firefighters; they made a hell of an impact: Woodland, city, and even rural firefighters on different trips. My Mom just thought it would look good on transcripts, but I got into it seriously and wanted to take fire science in college."

Butch pulled her down onto his lap when she set the glasses down and gave her a squeeze. "That's fucking impressive. You're like an Eagle Scout; I'm sure you did much more. You got here. That is what matters. I never got into that stuff, but maybe you should consider doing Rescue when you finish this rotation. You have Ink, you have a career, and you're a strong woman. I'm here for you to help you, not do it for you. You got that, and I...well, I care."

Before things could get too emotional, Butch smiled and gave her a push, and smacked her butt playfully. "Now, don't burn breakfast, please, and I think that is the first time you called me Kenny."

Breakfast went fine with them talking about the work week ahead, and he confirmed with her about dinner and how she should arrive around four pm, and she didn't need to bring anything. It would be his siblings, their significant others, plus his niece and nephew, who loved meeting new people. He assured Lexi that this was something he'd done before with other friends from the department, and she was welcomed. They hugged, and he gave her a peck on the cheek. He was on his way. He got home, took care of laundry, cleaned, worked out, and kept his eye on the clock. She was just a friend, a buddy really coming over to his parent's house for dinner. It wasn't like they were dating or anything. He was sure they would all assume what they wanted even if he told them otherwise, but he knew better, he thought as he flopped down on the couch and turned on the TV. Lexi was just his partner and a fuck buddy in a convenient relationship for both of them. The problem was part of him felt like it could be more than that, and for the first time, part of him wanted it to be more than that, even if only briefly.

Lexi blinked. And blinked again. Did he say what she thought he did? "Butch, did you say something?" He denied saying anything but her name. Did she mishear him? Her mind swirled as she agreed to taking a shower, and he expertly distracted her while they cleaned each other up. Once done in the shower and appeasing some neighbors who were concerned that she wasn’t out for her morning run, she chased him off more than once while she cooked him breakfast before he went home.

The rest of the day was a blur of trying to get various chores around the house done, and laundry put away, but she struggled to focus on anything. The memory of his words kept playing back in her head, over and over. She tried to convince herself that it was just her imagination, but it didn't feel like that. Maybe he was just caught up in the moment, but she didn’t feel like that was quite right either.

She couldn't shake the feeling that something had changed between them that morning. It felt...more. More than just friends with benefits or whatever this was between them. And yet, she didn't want to ruin what they had. They had a good thing going, a convenient arrangement that worked for both of them. She didn't want to mess that up.

It was 3:55pm when Lexi found herself on the front porch of Butch’s parents’ house. She took a deep breath, but before she could even knock the door opened and Alannah greeted her with a tight hug. “Oh Lexi, it’s so good to see you again! Butchy should be here soon, I’m surprised you didn’t come together. Come on in and meet everyone.”

Alannah Fitzpatrick was enjoying her Sunday as all the planets seemed in line. Her day off lined up with her weekend off, so she had three beautiful days off in a row and actually got to spend time with her husband when they weren't working. She loved Matthew dearly, but he worked his fingers to the bone for his family and was always doing things for his construction business or at the bar, but he was at least a little more open to taking time off for family. After all, at this point, both businesses had long-term employees who were good at their jobs but also could be trusted. Their lawyer now had started as a barback his first year of college and stayed with them as a bartender up through and beyond law school. Peaches babysat for their grandchildren; every big holiday meant family parties and employee parties.

Today was more exciting thanks to Butch's new partner Alexandra who liked to go by Lexi and was joining them for a meal. Alannah had talked her up to all her children, who had a million questions. They all asked about her status with Butch's relationship wise, and as usual, her sons were rather crude about what they thought Butch was doing with his latest partner. Diana was no better, though, asking when she would become an aunt again. So Alannah spent the day cooking and cleaning and ensured the pack of wolves Alannah called children would behave themselves. As responsible and as hard-working as her children were, there were times she swore they never got beyond teenagers.

Alannah greeted Lexi at the door with a hug, and Mac followed after her, shaking her hand but hugging her. When Lexi seemed more comfortable, he walked her towards the living room. "Butchy is a few blocks away. He stopped for some more refreshments. Don't worry, we won't keep you too late. We know you guys have a long shift tomorrow."

Everyone stood up in the living room, which held large couches, a large flatscreen TV, and a fireplace with a family portrait above it which looked like it dated back to when Butch was in High School. Mac took her around, introducing each one of his kids and their significant others. First was Matthew, "the cop," who towered over Lexi, had a shaved head, and was built with a bodybuilder. He leaned down and gave her a peck on the cheek. He introduced Debbie, his long-time girlfriend, who was almost as muscular as him and was a bottle blond who was very tan. Debbie referred to Lexi as sister and hugged her, lifting her off the ground and telling her she was a personnel trainer, bodybuilding competition contestant, and volunteer firefighter.

Next was Jimmy, the bartender, and his wife, Bridget. Both had many tattoos; Jimmy looked like a younger version of Mac, and Briget had lovely jet-black hair. There was an interruption in greetings when eight-year-old Caitlin and six-year-old Conner came running into the room, yelling, "It's Wonder Woman!"

The pair was the niece and nephew Butch liked talking about, and she got the idea he spoiled at every opportunity. They hugged Lexi around her hips, smiled, and started blushing, looking down, unsure what to do, and glanced at their parents. Jimmy came over and collected the two, who asked Lexi all kinds of questions about firefighting as Bridget giggled, came over to Lexi, and put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Sorry honey, we love firefighters in this family a lot normally, but they got excited when we told them they'd be meeting the firewoman who was on the news. They interviewed that sweet little girl, and she said Butch and Wonder Woman saved her. They'll want to talk to you about things later and maybe read them a story. Just let us know if they're too much."

Finally, Diana got her chance to greet Lexi. Diana looked like a mixture of both parents. She was very fit and sporting blond hair in a French braid. Diana reached out and shook hands with Lexi. Then, she laughed and said something about how we hug in this family and hugged her. She stepped back and smiled. "So you're the one riding with Kenny. The big lug doesn't talk too much, but give him a chance. He's sweet when he wants to be. Are you married or anything? Because they're welcome to come, but you and Butch are just friends, right?"

Alannah, who'd walked to the kitchen by now, had bellowed to her daughter, "Diana, I need you here now, dear!"

While Alannah scolded Diana as she had her help finish preparing the meal and Lexi was talking with the family, Butch was carrying a box of beverages back to his car. It seemed absurd, but despite his parents owning a bar and grill, they didn't have any of the children's favorite birch beer at the house. Admittedly, everyone liked it, so he picked up a few six-bottle packages and other favorites. Before heading over, he started the car and stared out at nothing for a long minute.

Butch was about to meet a woman he told he loved and was having sex with at his parent's house a whole week after meeting her and having an adventure. There was a lot to unpack there, and he could ruin everything. Butch was this woman's training officer, and she'd already had a rough time with the guys in her last firehouse. He didn't know a lot about Lexi, but she wasn't some slut who slept with everyone. They connected, and something happened, but that wasn't exactly clear. Could it be love?

Butch was sure he was laying his head on the steering wheel and would catch someone's attention, so he texted his Mother. He was coming along, put on his sunglasses, and drove the last few blocks. As usual at family functions, almost every parking spot was taken, but Butch did smile seeing Lexi's Jeep parked in the driveway facing out like an emergency service vehicle. He didn't want to block her in, so he parked across the street, and after waving to a neighbor, he collected his box and headed into the house.

Butch headed around the back of the house and walked onto the deck. Caitlin and Conner, who were drawing pictures, greeted him with their usual cartoon level of excitement after hearing about all the week's events, including the arrival of his new friend. Caitlin noted she had such pretty hair and was so brave, and Conner thought it was very cool that she was a medic and a firefighter. After talking to them briefly, he saw his Mother holding the door open for him.

He walked in and began loading the soda in the fridge with Alannah looking on. When Butch closed the door, he said, "Sorry I'm late Mom had to make a stop, though."

"Kenny, don't even try making an excuse. I texted you about that this morning, and I've been in the kitchen working on my Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole all day, so I asked you to do one thing. Never mind, you left that poor girl alone! Honey, I don't know what you're doing with her, but you could be a little nicer."

Butch looked around the kitchen to make sure no one was around. She used his first name, which meant she was serious. "Mom, she's my partner, nothing more. Besides, you were the one who invited Lexi to dinner. All of us have had friends, coworkers, buddies, and people from our units to the house."

"Yes, you all have, but I can tell this one is different. You'll go into burning buildings with people you just met, but you only spend time with someone if you think they're a good person. Never mind, I never thought this would happen right after things ended with Lolo! Sweetie, you better not hurt this poor girl! Lexi has been through enough, and we're more supportive than her parents."

Butch leaned back against the fridge and looked out through the kitchen and dining room, where he saw Lexi sitting and talking with everyone. "Mom, we're good, and we have an understanding. She's my friend, and that's probably for the best. We seem to have some connection."

Alannah patted her son on the shoulder and nodded. "Okay, honey, now help me put out the food. We're having Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole, Mashed potatoes, salad, and biscuits because your father likes them. I got apple pies from the bakery and vanilla ice cream for dessert. All I ask is you keep being good to this woman. You want her to be your friend long after you stop riding together, regardless of what else happens."

Butch helped his Mother bring out all the food to the table, and then he went in and greeted everyone. There was a lot of hugging and roughhousing, and then he finally got to Lexi, who stood up from the couch. He hugged her and whispered in her ear. "I'm glad you came, and I enjoy all our time together, whatever we're doing."

Lexi was placed next to Butch at the table, and before they began eating, they all did grace holding hands. Butch gave Lexi's hand a supportive squeeze, and then they sat down and started passing around the food. As they ate, everyone had questions for Lexi about her, the job, and how she liked working with "ugly" every day. It was all light-hearted, loving, and louder than most dinners Lexi was used to.

Lexi’s head was practically spinning as the chatter around the large dining table swirled around her non-stop. She smiled and nodded and laughed, trying her best to field all the questions about her life while also trying to keep up with all the stories they shared, which didn’t go without them teasing each other. She couldn't help but feel a little envious of the close-knit family, it was a far cry from her own. This family genuinely cared for each other, and they seemed to accept her for who she was.

Caitlin and Connor prattled on next to her about their latest adventures in school, and she found herself laughing and leaning in, genuinely interested in what they had to say. She had always enjoyed the innocence and purity and unfiltered honesty of children. She couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to have a family of her own, but she quickly pushed the thought aside.

Despite Alannah's protests, Lexi helped clear the table to make room for dessert. As she was setting the stack of dishes into the sink, Diana came up beside her with another stack. "You and Kenny make a good match," Diana said with a warm smile.

Lexi glanced at her, trying to fight the look of surprise from springing to her face. She wasn't sure how to respond, the statement holding a multitude of meanings. She could just mean as work partners or friends, but recalling how she asked about becoming an aunt again when Lexi had first got there, she was certain there was more to it. The redhead just nodded, her cheeks flushing slightly. "I...thank you. I think so too."

"When he and Lolo split, it was hard on him. We haven't seen him like... This," she said, gesturing to the doorway that led into the dining room, "in such a long time. I don't know exactly what's going on between you two, and I'm not sure I want to." Diana paused, looking at Lexi with an unreadable expression. "He's a good man, Lexi. Just... Please be gentle with his heart."

Lexi didn't know what to say to that. She didn't want to lie and say there was nothing going on between them, but she also didn't want to make it seem like there was anything serious either. All she could do was nod, offer a smile, and say, "Okay."

The two women finished rinsing the dishes and loading them into the dishwasher before joining everyone in the dining room once more. Lexi took her spot next to Butch, and he gave her a look as if to ask if she was okay. She nodded and gave a small smile as his hand brushed against hers under the table.

The conversation continued to flow, but Lexi found herself trying to enjoy the banter and laughter around her, but struggled to pull her thoughts away from what Diana said in the kitchen. When dessert was finished, everyone began to stand up, gathering their things to head out.

Lexi wasn't one of them, and this was the first time she was meeting everyone, so Butch wasn't too worried, but he wanted to make sure she was comfortable with everything. Holding her hand was as far as intimacy would go in a setting like this, but if he thought about he was pleased with how things went. While he was sure his siblings were all speculating about the nature of his and Lexi's relationship, they did seem to like her and were kind, even if they joked with her and tried to be a little edgy. The thing was, that meant they liked her and wanted her around. It was awkward because they weren't sure if she was just a friend or a girlfriend. He was sure they'd fully embrace her either way, though. Butch's brothers both wanted her to come around to where they worked to see equipment, and a parade was mentioned for his brother's smaller department as well as dinner at the bar he worked at on an off night. Diana, as always, was her brother's protector, he was sure, and while he didn't know what she said to Lexi, he was sure Diana expressed her feelings. Things went well, though, and they had apple pie, ice cream, and coffee. Like everyone else, Lexi walked out with a container of leftovers, but Alannah told her that giving it to her son would be fine and that she was welcome to come to another family meal.

After all the goodbyes and hugs and family members started leaving, Butch walked Lexi out to her Jeep and gave her a peck on the cheek. "Thanks for coming. I'm glad you did. They aren't so bad, are they?"

"They're a loving family, Butch, and thank your mother again for a good meal. I didn't feel like an outsider, and Caitlin and Connor were a delight."

"Those two little wild ones fooled you, huh," Butch laughed as Lexi feigned surprise and hurt, but he continued. "Yeah, they're a joy most of the time, and I enjoy spending time with them. Peaches actually goes out of her way to babysit them. They think she's awesome. Anyway, I'll see you at work tomorrow. I know it will be a long day."

They hugged, and it was a lingering one. For a long moment, Butch debated on whether or not to say your place or mine to Lexi, but he didn't want to push things with her. She'd come out to spend time with his family, and in a week, they'd been together at work and after work more than a few times—several wonderful, intense times interactions. In what might have only been two minutes, more than once, he thought about what it was like to have Lexi bent over the hood of her Jeep, panties down around her ankles, dressed up, pounding her from behind as she gripped at the vehicle, trying to hang on. That might be for another day, though, and he squeezed Lexi and whispered in her ear. "Thanks, Partner. It's good to have you in my life. Sleep well, and see you tomorrow. Drive safe."

With that, Butch and Lexi parted ways without them knowing Diana was watching from her bedroom window, not meaning to intrude, but she wondered what would happen next. She couldn't hear anything but was sure they weren't going home together. All she could think was to be careful, Big Brother. Lexi was a good woman and wouldn't hurt him, which is what she gathered from their short time together, but good women don't stick around if they don't have a reason. Since joining the Air Force, she could have been married three times, but she didn't like settling, and while being alone sucked sometimes finding something real was always better. She could only be there to support her brother. Lexi was someone of quality, and what happened was up to them.

That night Butch's sleep was interrupted a few times by rolling over and finding something missing from his bed. It seemed illogical. He'd just met Lexi, and it wasn't like she was a fixture in his life. She wasn't someone to miss and care about, and that was something he had to avoid. Something had slipped out their last time together, and he couldn't let that happen again, even if he might have meant it. This couldn't be one of those magical moments when everything came together, could it? No, they were just fuck buddies. That was it. He rolled over again and slept peacefully until he encountered a dream of coming to the firehouse one rainy morning and finding out from the bulletin board that Lexi had transferred. All the items he'd given her were in his locker with not so much as a note. He woke up sitting up in bed, glancing at the phone. It was 5:30 AM, and he was tempted to dial Lexi to ensure she was coming into work, but he stopped and thought better of it.

After that dream, Butch got out of bed and started his day a little earlier, going through the routine, trying not to think about Lexi, but he was also lying to himself. He drove to the firehouse a little more determined, and his first stop was at the ambulance, which wasn't normal for him. Fortunately, he found Lexi, clipboard in hand, holding her coffee container in the other room, chatting with the overnight crew. She was also wearing the EMS hat he'd given her, with a long red ponytail going through the back of the hat. She turned to him and smiled. "Hey, Partner, mind if I drive today so you can check me off on driver training?"

Butch's family had been nothing short of amazing, and she was in awe of how well they all got in together. In particular, Lexi could see the bond between Butch and Diana, there was an undeniable closeness there, and it made her wonder what their life had been like growing up. Diana's words still echoed in Lexi's head as she lay in bed and found sleep hard to find. She had no intention of hurting him, but with how murky the waters were with their relationship, it was hard to tell if it would be inevitable. They were just enjoying each other, right?

While Butch was a bit cranky when they'd first met, he had been nothing short of amazing in the short week they'd known each other. He was caring, protective, and attentive. The way he always made sure she was comfortable and included, made her feel special. And then there was the sex...Lexi shuddered as she remembered their first time together, the heat between them almost palpable. It had been intense, passionate, and something she'd never experienced before.

Alexandra glanced at the clock, knowing she needed to get up in a few short hours for work. She sighed heavily before rolling over and burying herself in her pillow, trying to get comfortable once more and not let her mind run wild.

When she'd walked into the ambulance bay, the nightwatch crew was finishing up cleaning the rig. They chatted a bit and discussed a few calls they had as well as the big fundraiser that had been announced to be held a couple of weeks out. She turned and smiled at her partner as he walked up, fighting off the flutter that he always seemed to set off in her stomach. "Mind if I drive today so you can check me off?" Butch was the one who usually drove the ambulance, so she figured she'd offer to do it today, especially since she still needed to get it marked off for the new station.

The nightwatch crew said their goodbyes, and with a laugh one of them wished them a quiet shift. Lexi groaned as she hopped up into the back to do a quick inventory check. Never say the Q word in EMS, it was like inviting trouble. She rummaged through the various compartments, checking the numbers against her board and taking note of what needed to be replenished.

Butch climbed in behind her and shut the doors, and wrapped his arms around her waist from behind just like he had done the other day. And just like that, it was like he could melt every over-thought worry away. “I’m starting to think I’m the only one you greet like this,” she teased, leaning back into him as he nuzzled into the curve of her neck.

She felt him chuckle, the warmth of his breath tickling her skin. "Well, I don't think anyone else is as special as you. And besides, you know you like it," he whispered, nipping at her earlobe.

Lexi squirmed away from him with a giggle, and turned, pressing the clipboard against his chest to put some space between them. Whether to stop him or herself, she was unsure. "I'm not sure I'd go that far. But I do like the way you make me feel." She paused, debating whether or not to say what she was really thinking.

Be gentle with his heart.

"And I'm not sure how you feel about it, but...I don't want to hurt you."

As always, it was a relief to see Lexi there that morning. Her request was a simple one, and he just nodded. After all, he was still evaluating this woman, and while he hadn't filled out all the forms, he'd seen plenty in just one tour. She knew how to handle herself on the medical end of things and the fire side, which wasn't even part of this evaluation. Most firefighters didn't get a chance to make a save, and she had one early in her career. Butch figured she was a paramedic full-time in one of the city's special units and did not have to put up with the firehouse bullshit and everything else. Yeah, he'd be happy again back on an engine or ladder, and she'd ride with someone else. Well, it really couldn't be helped, and they'd probably see each other at department events, and he'd meet whoever she was dating, and life would go on. He'd meet someone, but Butch stopped himself on that path. Take it one day or, rather, one hour at a time. All she wanted right now was to drive, and they had a long, full shift ahead of them.

In the back of the ambulance, he was affectionate, which was something he knew they had to avoid the rest of the day for appearance's sake, but also, this wasn't his girlfriend or wife. Lexi was fuck buddy who preferred to do things behind closed doors, and that wasn't unreasonable. She'd spent time with his family twice and was a caring person so that he couldn't push things, but damn, it felt good to be close to that woman. From their encounter Saturday night, he knew Lexi could be a high-end girlie girl, complete with Victoria's Secret undies, perfume, and sexy heels. For her, it was a time and a place, but she still came off as desirable even in cargo pants and a t-shirt, and she smelled like she'd just walked out from under a waterfall. Lexi clearly liked the attention, even if she pushed them apart a little, but that was so things wouldn't get too far. The thought of fucking the shit out of her on the stretcher in the bay as people walked by, checking vehicles and sipping coffee had a certain appeal. He didn't even want to think about getting caught, disciplined, and embarrassing Lexi.

What she had to say was more a cause for concern. She felt good, but there was a hang-up with those feelings. Taking her to meet his family might have been too much, or was it what he said? In a brief instance, you could drive yourself crazy, which didn't help. This was a partnership, no matter its nature, but that meant you had to express yourself and not hide things. They had to communicate. At this time, that meant more than standing there and listening silently. Butch reached out and took the clipboard out of her hands and took both her hands, and squeezed them gently. "Not saying things is how you hurt me. Not working things out is how you hurt me, and if this is all too much, you can tell me. I like what we have, and if you don't want to continue with it, let me know. Just not now. People are probably already wondering what's happening, and inventory has probably taken up most of the time."

They agreed to talk and casually communicated for the rest of the morning. There was no tension, but there was no affection behind things. They were almost back to day one, but still, they did their work, and it moved along well. Lexi drove to the next three calls, including someone injuring themselves while running for the bus, two car accidents thanks to people paying more attention to their phones, and a four call was canceled when Partol sorted out the situation. They still hadn't had coffee yet, but Butch knew a place near the city college, so they pulled up and went into the thriving coffee shop across from one of the entrances of the school. Butch had no idea that the library on this campus was the Hartman Library, and thankfully, from Lexi's perspective, it wasn't in view. They got sandwiches and their coffee cups filled for almost nothing, so they generously filled the tip jar and walked across the street to the campus. They looked around after reaching the fountain and soon found a stone bench being vacated by students. They sat down, laid out their food, and placed the portable radio there as they listened to the radio traffic. For any First Responder, you were almost guaranteed to be interrupted the second you started eating. Butch and Lexi both hesitated long enough that they laughed and started eating. A few healthy bites in Butch decided they couldn't put things off any longer.

"I want you to be honest with me, Lexi. We're figuring this out, and I promise you nobody needs to know about this. I do hope I make you feel good. Anything else is a bonus. Just don't feel you have to do anything because you don't want to hurt me, work, or anything else, Lexi."

It was the truth, maybe not the whole truth, but it was as good as he could make it. It had been a hell of a week with a divorce, a rescue, and a new woman in his life, which was only more complicated by how they met. Butch couldn't love this woman they'd just met, and good sex wasn't enough of a reason to love someone. Still, he wanted to tell her she improved his days, and he didn't feel alone at night. Lexi had just fit in somehow, and while their arrangement made perfect sense, he hated the idea of someone else enjoying time with her. If she wanted that, fine, but he didn't have to like it. Maybe love factored in somewhere, but it had to be for a friend who had her own life apart from him.

Lexi lingered over her coffee, taking a longer sip than necessary as she mulled over his words and grappled with the emotions and thoughts she had been trying to ignore. On one hand, being with Butch was enjoyable; he had a way of making her feel sensations that had been absent for too long. His touch, his voice, and his mere presence sent her heart racing and her skin tingling. Yet, there was a restraint within her, a barrier that made her hesitate, that challenged her ability to be truly honest with herself, and by extension, with him.

"I... I don't know," she admitted after a pause. "It's just... complicated, I suppose. I've never excelled at this sort of thing." She made a vague gesture in the space between them, feeling a bit embarrassed and exposed. "I don't have many people who I can just be myself around, you know? Where I didn't have to put on a show or pretend to be someone I'm not."

A silence fell between them, punctuated only by the chatter of their radio and the voices from the campus nearby. Lexi took another bite of her sandwich, savoring the taste but finding it difficult to focus on the food. She glanced over at Butch, noting the way his gaze kept drifting back to her, the way his expression seemed a mixture of tenderness and uncertainty. She wanted so badly to believe that there was something more between them, but she couldn't shake the feeling that what they had started was too good to be true and she was standing on shifting sand, that the moment she let her guard down, she'd sink back into the familiar isolation she'd known before meeting him.

She took a deep breath and looked up at him, her heart twisting in her chest. How could she trust her feelings, when they were still so new and uncertain? How could she know if this was just a temporary thing, or if there was something more to it? And even if there was, how could she be sure that she wasn't just projecting her own hopes and dreams onto him, making him into something he wasn't?

"I’m probably just overthinking this.” She bit her lip, wishing she could find the right words to explain herself, to convey the tangled web of emotions that she was trying to untangle. “I just don’t want to mess things up, or make things awkward. Which I guess I kinda already have.”

"None of this comes with any guarantees. All I'm asking is that we communicate that's any relationship, whether we're just riding together or lying together."

Butched reached out and held his hand in hers, smiling as he felt her squeeze back. "The Thing is, Lexi, this means as much as the other stuff. So, let's get through the training period and see where we go from there. If you need to move on, that is the way it is, and I'll miss you, but you don't need to shield me from anything. Just talk to me about it. I know you've got some things to figure out for yourself. I don't want to be part of the problem, though. For example, when the shift ends tonight, you don't have to come over if you don't want to, whatever your reason is. You don't have to leave stuff at my place, and while you're welcome at Sunday dinner or the bar, don't feel obligated. I want you to want to be around, and well, I guess the best way to put our relationship is it has limits."

The rest of the day went very routine, as much as a day can go with standing by at fires and car accidents and dealing with non-life-threatening injuries and mishaps. The pair, as always, were professional and friendly with colleagues and the public, but there was a change in dynamic. With First Responders, a partnership was very close and sometimes even closer than one might have with their romantic partner, so there would be rough spots, arguments, and disagreements. They weren't fighting, but they were going through a rough spot. They were new at this together, so it hardly spelled the end of their relationship. The twelve-hour shift seemed to drag on with paperwork and visits to the emergency room almost every two hours. As usual, it was after midnight when Butch was throwing all of his gear in the back of his suburban and was thinking about a shower, prep for tomorrow, and doing some laundry. He closed the rear hatch of his vehicle, turned around, and saw Lexi standing there.

"Hey, I signed all the paperwork. Is there anything else, Lexi?"

Lexi took a deep breath and bit her lip, feeling the familiar tug of emotions warring inside her. She was grateful for Butch's understanding and his willingness to let her set the pace. She tried to read his expression in the dim light of the parking lot. He looked tired, just like she felt. His dark hair was mussed from his cap, and there were lines she'd never noticed before etched around his eyes. It was almost impossible not to find him attractive, despite her best efforts to resist.

"I just wanted to say thanks for being so understanding. And for being...you know..."

Butch raised an eyebrow, giving her a half-smile. "Yeah? For being what?"

Lexi smiled back, feeling a spark of something warm and familiar flutter in her chest. "For being you."

He stepped forward, closing the distance between them, and reached out to brush a hand gently against her arm. To anyone else, the gesture would just seem friendly, supportive. She knew there was more to it, the way her skin burned under his fingers, the way her heart skipped a beat. "Well," he said softly, "I guess it's up to me to be worthy of that compliment."

Lexi felt her cheeks flush, and for a moment, she couldn't think of anything to say. Just when she thought she had her bearings, he seemed to short-circuit her brain with a single touch. He was so damn handsome, so strong and capable. It was easy to forget, in the chaos of their jobs, that he was also kind and gentle. He took a step back, putting a little distance between them, and then leaned casually against his truck. "So, what's your plan for the rest of the night?"

What he was really asking was if she was going back to his place, him to hers, or were they going their separate ways. In just a week, being with him, waking up in the morning next to him, was becoming her new normal. In one week, it was already difficult to remember what life had been like before she'd met him.

She shrugged. "I guess go home, have some dinner, and take a shower..." Lexi paused. While she knew some healthy time apart would probably be the best for them, she wanted nothing more than to spend time with him, to feel his arms around her again. "I might need help washing my hair, though," she added, giving him a playful smile.

It was around two hours later that Lexi was sighing, lying against Butch's chest with the warm soapy water of his overside tub up to her breasts. Butch kissed her neck, and she smiled. They'd gone to his place but skipped the bar this time and headed up. He'd meal-prepped some chicken and asparagus, so they sat at the counter and ate in their skivvies because they'd started the washer with their combined loads. Once the load had gone into the drier and they'd finished their food and washed it down with white wine, they slipped into the warm tub. With wash clothes and shower massager, they'd cleared each other thoroughly, and Butch made Lexi squirm more than a few times, making sure no area of her body was untouched or washed, for that matter. He lovingly washed her hair with the buy-in bulk store brand he bought and told her to bring some shampoo she liked. He caressed her long mane and massaged her scrap, and she said she liked it even better than when she went to the salon. Then they just sat and soaked for a long time, and after a long day, it was so pleasurable not to move and savor the experience together. Butch was glad that Lexi liked the little things like him. Sure, staying at a luxury hotel or a spa was nice, but still wanting to have dinner and spend time together after twelve stressful hours in a truck was special.

Lexi raised her leg out of the water, and Butch noticed the pretty hot pink pedicure on her left foot and squeezed her, and said, "I meant to tell you the other night that color looked good on you. Is it weird that I think you have sexy feet?"

She giggled, rubbed against him, and replied, "No, it's cool. I'm glad you like I go pretty often. It feels good and helps with the running, but yeah, it does a little pretty. I've even done fire department blue."

"Well, I like blue and red."

Lexi slid out from against him and moved to the other side of the tub, and her feet caressed against him as she sat across from him. Without any more propping, Butch began massaging them and looking in her eyes. Finally, she giggled and asked, "What?"

"I'm just happy you came over tonight. You didn't have to, but I'm glad you did. Next time, put a bag together for some of your stuff, and I'll make a space. It's about convenience, and I'm not saying it's a big step in the relationship or anything. I don't expect anything either when you come over beyond that. Well, you want to be with me a little longer. It is nice to come home and have someone to share it with. We can both be alone, fill the hours, and even be happy, but things are a little better with someone special."

Butch leaned over and kissed Lexi, and hugged her before sliding back over his side. They enjoyed the experience for a while longer, and when the water started to cool down, they got out and toweled each other off like they'd started doing. As always, Lexi put up her hair and pulled on a t-shirt only to realize it was one of Butch's. She sniffed it as she straightened it out and just smiled, and they went to the bedroom. The heat went on, the lights went off, and without a word, they met in the middle of the bed and cuddled up. Butch was on his side, and Lexi pushed back against him, and he put his arms around her, and they snuggled. He loved the feel of her body against his; it seemed to fit. There was plenty of touching, kissing, and loving gestures, but now was a time for sleep. Butch enjoyed drifting off to sleep with Lexi there with him.

Then he said, "Love you, partner, thanks for staying." He didn't say it. He must have dreamt it, but it didn't matter. Lexi was already asleep, and he was holding her in his arms.

The next couple weeks went by in almost a blur as they seemed to find a rhythm together.

More often than not, Lexi either found herself at his place or Butch at hers, even when they had planned to spend the day or evening apart. Usually, it started with an invite for lunch or dinner, but one particular instance she had sent him a few photos of herself in nothing but a towel wrapped around her body after a shower and he was at her door within 20 minutes. Being with him just felt easy.

At work, they did their best to keep things professional, but were still friendly. But Lexi looked forward to the little stolen moments they had. Whether it was during the morning inventory check off when he’d close them up in the back for a few minutes just to hold each other, or when he'd get them coffee and he seemed to remember exactly how she liked hers, or when he'd tease her for being on her phone so much during their standby time even though she was usually reading a book in her Kindle app. Of course, they had their moments of strife as well. Most calls went without incident, but he had scolded her a few times. Once for being a little too eager to go hands on with a patient and not using the right technique to control a situation, and another he harped on her for leaving her equipment bag at the station one time when they were on a call at a park. But they always managed to talk through it. The weekend shift was always the worst. The calls were more violent, the patients more unpredictable, and the calls seemed to last longer, and were more likely to have less than desirable outcomes.

One afternoon as Lexi was coming out of a smoothie shop, she nearly ran smack into someone. “Whoa, sorry!” She exclaimed as she dug her heels into the ground, barely saving the two plastic cups from getting smashed between her and the stranger who had gripped Lexi’s arm gently to keep her steady. Tall, dark hair that was currently wet with sweat and sticking to his forehead, olive green t-shirt that was damp with sweat, black shorts.

It wasn’t a stranger.

“Derek?” she asked, recognition finally dawning on her. “Hey! How are you?”

"Hey, Lexi! It's been a while," he said, offering her a smile. His brown eyes roamed over her, taking in the fire department t-shirt, navy tactical pants, boots, and the way her hair was pulled back into a braid. “I’ve been good. Just finishing up a run. You look great, though. How have you been? Busy as always?”

Lexi returned his smile, but couldn’t help but notice the tone with his last question. "I've been good, thanks. And yeah, always working…” She said with a hint of self-deprecating humor.

The sound of the driver’s door to the rig firmly closing caught her attention and she glanced at Butch who was striding over to them. “Oh hey, here.” She offered one of the smoothie cups to him. “Derek, this is Butch, my partner. And Butch, this is Derek, a… Friend of mine."

Derek reached out and shook Butch's hand, his grip firm. "Nice to meet you. I won't keep you two, I'm sure you've got lives to save or something." His eyes back on Lexi, he added, "Let me know when you're free so I can take you out to dinner and we can catch up." With a gentle touch to her arm he jogged off, turning the corner down the cross-street.

Lexi stood there stunned, honestly surprised he was so forward about wanting to see her. She sucked on the straw of her smoothie, as if hoping the frozen drink would help keep her face from turning red.

Friends with benefits was new ground for Butch when it came to his relationship with Lexi. He'd only ever had traditional relationships. Either it was dating with all the usual aspects of courtship or a hookup where you had fun, enjoyed the cardinal pleasures, and went your separate ways. Now, it was passionate and an exotic explosion of sex and intimacy. Then they parted company only to see each other again at work in an environment where they couldn't and shouldn't be affectionate. His superiors had already asked about her aside from a few minor things which even they felt weren't noteworthy. Lexi had a save, which was a big deal for any firefighter, and while there was some separation between her and the rest of the crew assigned to the house, there was also a level of acceptance.

The councilwoman whose district where the daycare center was situated saw that they both received awards for their actions, but when she tried to put Lexi center stage, Lexi was all about how they did it together. Lexi went off with her parents, who didn't seem interested in meeting him or anyone else. That was a special feeling that she stood up for their partnership like that, and they'd meet up a few hours later that night. They'd have very passionate sex at her place that night with dress blue uniforms all over the floor. He had a picture of Lexi, only wearing his hat, hidden on his phone. There was no mention of feelings, much less love, but they were together a lot, which meant something.

So why Butch never said he loved Lexi again by accident, or otherwise he endeavored to show her every time they were together. He drove her to orgasm again and again, tried to learn what she liked and desired, and worshipped the lovely redhead's athletic, beautiful body. Showering became part of the ritual when they got together after shift, and it was never brought up that they should take turns. It would have been easier emotionally to part ways at the night's end, but a warm cuddle and sharing a bed was preferred. At the very least, coffee with no shame attached in the morning.

While in theory, Butch accepted there were rules to their arrangement; it was another thing to have them tested. When he met Lexi's "friend," he was polite and shook hands. Sure, part of him wanted to crush the guy's hand and punch him out, but he refrained and drank the odd concoction Lexi got for him. It wasn't a chocolate shake, but it wasn't bad, and she was concerned about his health. Still, he didn't help matters by not talking and driving until a call came in, so as usual, Lexi answered the radio, hit the lights and sirens, and took off down the road.

A potential crisis looming ahead as you were rocketing down the road through traffic might not have been the right time for most people to talk about their relationship, but things are slightly different when you work as a first responder. So Lexi was the first to bring it up when she asked, "You like your drink? What do you think about my friend?"

"Nothing. The drink is fine, though. He's your friend."

"Yes, he's someone my parents introduced me to, and he likes me. Is that a problem?"

"You can spend time with whoever you want, Lexi. Let me guess he's in a relationship, has a nice car, and never sweats outside a gym."

"Butch, that doesn't make him a bad person. My mother thinks he's right for me, which makes me wonder about him, but otherwise, he's a nice guy. You can have all the friends you want."

"Yeah, I know, and I remember your mother. She didn't want to take a photo with me, much less meet me, and you didn't say anything."

Annoyed, Lexi turned and looked at him as they rushed through traffic towards an apartment fire. "I think I said a lot when I called you the second I left them. I didn't change, and you know you matter to me!"

"So we're fine, and then there isn't nothing to discuss!"

"Yeah, whatever, Butch, we're going to talk about this, but not now!"

Butch and Lexi pulled up to the fire scene at an apartment building, and it was a large-scale three-alarm fire. The pair went through the motions of putting on jackets and helmets and hauling their gear to the front of the building. Over a hundred firefighters were already fighting the blaze, and a few injured souls, including a few firefighters, were already being ambulanced to the hospital. They were too close, though, and the situation began declining rapidly.

The fire was primarily on the top floor, and firefighters evacuated the roof. While all the personnel got off, anything on or around the roof began to fall, including the parapet wall around the roof's perimeter. People yelled out as large chunks started coming down, and Butch dropped the gear and looked up in time and pushed Lexi out of the way into some trash cans, but another smaller piece hit him on his helmet hard.

Butch wasn't sure what had happened, but he felt unsteady on his feet and began stumbling around. Those looking on heard him say, "Lexi, you okay? I'm fine. We have work to do, and," before he passed out, falling to the ground. He was sure Lexi had yelled something out, but he wouldn't wake for hours, and then it was a blurry view of a hospital room. Diana and his mother were on one side, and Lexi was there, her eyes looking like she was crying.

Butch felt like his head was pounding, but he sat up and looked over at Lexi. "Hey, Kid, you okay? What happened?"

Back