Into the Fire (closed for Jack Hemingway)

sweetlilith

Really Really Experienced
Alexandra Hartman grew up in a wealthy family with strong social and political ties. Her father owned several businesses that had their last name on signs around the city. With her upbringing, she never went without and she was expected to live a life of luxury and marry into an equally affluent family. Her parents were nearly distraught when she decided to go the route of becoming a paramedic and firefighter; they believed the job was beneath her and offensive to her femininity. They just didn’t seem to recognize her passion and desire to make a difference in the lives of people having their worst days, and that she was damn good at it too.

She refused to accept the limitations imposed upon her and insisted on forging her own path. Desperate to prove that she didn't need to survive off of generational wealth, she had rented a small two bedroom house in an upper-middle class neighborhood in the suburbs. The house, while modest, was perfectly adequate for her needs and allowed her to keep up appearances for her disapproving family. Her trust fund, however large it might be, remained mostly untouched from when it became available to her, as she refused to accept any financial assistance from her parents. Instead, she worked multiple jobs throughout college to pay for her education and lived off of ramen noodles to save money.

A little over a year prior, she was hired on at Station 23. And it was absolute hell. She was never accepted as part of the team, and her days would shift between being excessively hazed or outright ignored by her coworkers. She knew there was a period of time while still being a rookie that you had to earn your stripes and respect, but they wouldn’t even give her a chance. Despite graduating the top of her class, despite showing them over and over again that she knew her stuff to a T, it wasn’t enough. So, when she saw an internal listing come up to transfer to a station across town, she jumped on it.

Ending up at Station 14, Alexandra found herself given a new chance to hopefully thrive in her career. Her coworkers were polite enough, far better than the previous station, though still seemed to have their reservations. She was often partnered with Michael Thompson when scheduled on the ambulance, and after about a month they really found their groove with each other, and started to build the slightest friendship. But in her third month, her schedule got changed to a different shift rotation.

On her first day working the new schedule, Alexandra found herself humming to herself and dancing to her tune as she went through her pre-shift routine. She checked the medical supplies in the ambulance rig, ensured that all the equipment was working properly, and then began to prepare herself for whatever call might come in. She was lost in her own world, thinking about what the day may have in store, and trying to decide what she might want for dinner later. So lost in thought she didn't hear the footsteps approaching the rear of the rig.

Last edited:
Kenneth "Butch" Fitzpatrick was a fireman's fireman. He grew up on the streets of the city's crumbling industrial area, where he was considered better off than most kids. His father owned a bar and a small construction company, and his mother was a nurse at a city hospital. He couldn't remember a day that didn't have him doing some manual labor, and with few options growing up, he put in for everything. The fire department was the first to get back to him, and he threw himself into the training. He'd work at the academy all day, tend to bar at night, and then get a few hours of sleep on the couch in the office and do it again. Still, it paid off, and he was assigned to Station 14, one of the most active stations in the city, for both fires and emergency medical calls. A year after that, he married Lola Quinn, whom he'd taken to the prom and gotten reacquainted with after being away for a few years. Things were good for a while, but the next decade was a blur of calls and late nights either at the bar or picking up extra shifts. Then, one day, completely by surprise, Lola asked him to move out.

If he was honest with himself, it wasn't a complete surprise. She'd only asked him a million times to turn down overtime and stay with her or when they went out. Could it be something other than his family's bar or a fire department function? It wouldn't have killed him to make one of her office parties or show interest in her work. She had a picture of her holding up an award. All the other people in the picture were there with their spouses except her. Yeah, it spoke volumes, but at first, he figured they'd work it out, and he settled into an apartment above Mac's Bar & Grill, his father's place. It was only four blocks over from the stationhouse. Then, a few weeks turned into a few months, and a whole year went by before he received paperwork and a note from Lola. She'd met someone who made time for her, and while she didn't want to cheat, she didn't think they had a future. In the divorce paperwork, she wanted to sell the house and didn't want anything besides the dogs, which she'd taken care of most of the time anyway. He signed the papers, dropped them in the mail, and texted her, saying he'd pick up what was left of his stuff soon. So when he got to the fire station and saw he'd been moved to the ambulance a few months, he couldn't care less. He was with the new girl who knew her stuff, so he'd deal with it for a few months.

Station 14 was one of the oldest firehouses in the city and had actually meant to be a three-story factory building with bays, but the developer ran out of money, and the city actually did something smart with the property and converted it to a firehouse. The extra space meant there was room for classrooms, a workout room, storage, and, most importantly, extra bays for ambulances, which were used more these days. He greeted friends like usual that day, didn't mention anything about his troubles, and collected his gear. He had his turnout gear, a set of irons, and, most importantly, his jumbo coffee cup. He headed to rig #3's bay and saw Alexandra Hartman handling business. He'd only met her in passing, and right away, he could tell that many of the nasty things said about her weren't true. He'd give it a shot, at least.

After you had enough time in, you didn't have to worry about little things like your uniform being in good order unless you were dealing with a new officer, so that morning, Butch was in black work boots, FR-rated jeans, and engine company t-shirt that showed off his tattoos. He was carrying two large bags, one containing his gear and the other a weathered EMT bag with a stethoscope hanging off it and a Scott pack hanging off one shoulder. She was distracted, so he cleared his throat and yelled, "Hey, Hartman, you almost done?"

She spun around quickly enough and held out her hand, and while he didn't mean to ignore her, his hands were full. "Glad you got the check done. Those bitches on the other shift leave these rigs a mess," he said as he opened a side panel and stored all his gear but for his coffee cup, which was still empty. "I have some irons, but you'll need to get your own pack. I hear you're pretty good. Did you deliver a baby in the truck stop bathroom or something? So I'll drive the first stop is, Jose's, for coffee and breakfast. Dinner is on me. We're going to my Dad's place. I hope you like bar food. It is free, after all."

After a quick walk around, he got in the front seat and fired up the ambulance, and they were soon on the road starting their shift.

Last edited:
Lexi startled and spun around to see a vaguely familiar face at the rear of the rig. Her new partner she assumed. She was told his name was Kenneth Fitzpatrick, but went by "Butch." She had briefly wondered why not Ken or Kenny, but that was a question for another time. She stuck her hand out to shake his hand before realizing he had a bag in both hands.

She listened to him talk and found herself smiling a little. He didn't seem to have an ego, and while he was giving her the rundown for the day, it wasn't coming off as domineering or that he was going to act as an FTO even though she was fully trained and far past the probation period.

The redhead stared after him as he rounded the side of the rig and jumped in the drivers seat before starting it up. Taking that as a sign to get going, she closed the last few bins she'd been inventorying before hopping out the back and shutting the doors. She paused and took a deep breath, smoothing her hands down the front of the navy zip up she wore, with the city's fire department logo and her last name embroidered on the front. She didn't know why she suddenly felt the smallest fingers of nerves grabbing at her. So far he seemed either unbothered by the things said about her, or just unaware. But suddenly she was wanting to make sure she made a good impression.

Alexandra hopped into passenger seat and buckled in as he pulled the ambulance out of the bay.

She took a moment to study her new partner. It was hard to tell when she was in the back, but he seemed like he was good few inches taller than her. She noted the slightest sprinkling of gray hairs along his temples. His forearms were covered in tattoos, and she could tell that he took care of himself.

As they drove out of the station, she glanced around the interior of the ambulance. It was clean and well-organized, with everything in its place. Butch drove smoothly and confidently, navigating through the city streets. She couldn't help but wonder what kind of person he was outside of work. Was he as easy-going and unassuming as he seemed now? Or was there more to him than met the eye?

She cleared her throat, sitting back in her seat and stared out the windshield, and trying to relax. "So how long have you been with the department?" she asked in an attempt of small talk and trying to get to know him.

Last edited:

After you learn how to maneuver firetrucks through the city streets, a small vehicle, even an ambulance, is accessible, and that morning, Looking through his aviator glasses, Butch was doing his best to enjoy the drive. If he thought about it, the new girl in her jumpsuit and boots was quite cute, even sexy. Like everything else, she was a lovely redhead without makeup, which was a distraction. His marriage was finally over, and he was spending the next twelve hours with a stranger he had to break in. It could be worse; she seemed to know her stuff, so he'd get through it. Yeah, he was so happy he could cry, but he responded when she asked a question.

"I've been with the department for ten years. Along the way, I became an EMT, rescue certified, and a rescue diver—lots of training and classes. Take my advice, kid, and make time for other things."

He glanced down and saw her left hand was bare. He grunted, looked down the road, and said, "And if there isn't time, make time, okay? Anyway, find some good ways to reduce stress besides hitting the bar, like running and other healthy things. Don't date someone in the department, but find someone who understands and keeps the same hours. Just some friendly advice. From what I hear, you're on your way. Saved a few lives and put out a few fires, not some spokesmodel for the mayor's office."

Thankfully, the 3rd Street Market came into view so he could stop talking before he got too emotional with the new girl. Better known by the locals as Jose's after its manager owned the place, it was practically open twenty-four hours a day where you could get essentials like milk and diapers or beer, a sandwich, or a great cup of coffee. If you were a first responder in the area, you'd probably end up there at least once a shift for something. Butch pulled up in one of the large empty spots out front marked with a sign reserved for first responders, and before she could say anything, he got out and turned to her and said, "Listen to the radio. I'll be out in a second, and since it is our first day riding together, all I have is breakfast. Don't worry, you can return the favor next shift."

Butch cracked a smile and reached back in and pulled his coffee cup, which had a depiction of a 1950s-style pinup of a woman with her hair up in curlers wearing shorts and a t-shirt sitting on a barstool surrounded by firefighting gear on the side. The cup had all the wear and tear of ten years of service and clearly had some special meaning. She watched him head inside and clearly talk to a few people as he made his way to the counter and was soon served. A short time later, he walked out with a box containing a large coffee and two avocado egg and cheese bagels. He returned to the ambulance and placed the box on the center console. He turned to her but froze for a second, thinking she really did look lovely in the morning sun, but he shook his head and said, "These are really good, and I don't know when we'll get to eat again, so enjoy. You have the one without the hot sauce, and your coffee is black but got you something of everything to make it your own. You need to pick up anything, or you wanna sit and eat?"

Lexi fought to not make a face and scrunch her nose at him calling her a kid; he couldn't have been that much older than her, maybe ten years at most? She almost corrected him but he kept talking. She nodded gently as she listened. While she knew she was good at what she did, she also knew she had a lot of growth ahead of her. He had several years of experience on her, so she hoped he could teach her a thing or two. Then he told her to listen to the radio before he got out to head inside the little market. It shouldn't have irritated her, she was sure Butch meant nothing by it. However, this was how it started with her first partner when she got switched away from her FTO and it turned into full-blown attempts at micromanaging and undermining.

The twenty-five-year-old took a deep breath and settled herself into the seat more, pulling her phone out to flip through social media as she waited for him to come back. It was only a few minutes before the driver's door opened again and he stood there with a travel cup of coffee and bagels, along with his steel coffee cup.

"Thanks. We can just sit, that's fine." She took the coffee and immediately popped the top off of it to add a decent amount of sugar and several of the small creamers. She was getting used to darker coffee, but still needed sweetness. She took a sip and thought a moment before speaking again. "Hey so... You don't need to tell me to do the little stuff. Like making sure to listen to the radio, doing inventory before the shift, cleaning the rig afterwards, all that. By all means, call me out on my shit if I do something wrong, but you don't need to babysit me. I may not have been doing this as long as you, but I think I've got a handle on at least the basics."

Last edited:
It was Butch's turn to let out a sigh. She hadn't even thanked him for breakfast, and while he noted how she liked her coffee, he was a little annoyed with her and let her know it. "Look, I'm your senior, so you checking out the truck is something you're supposed to do, and you did it, so all good. You've been on the job long enough to know to listen to the radio, and I only said it because my portable is in the back with my gear. I'm sure you've got a complete set with a pack because we're firefighters, and sometimes we're first. Also, you're the paramedic, and I'm the EMT, so you're the lead in medical situations. So I know you can handle the basics and much more. I'm not here to bust your balls. We're riding together for a few months. It will go much quicker if we get along, partner, okay?"

He reached over, and they shook hands after she hastily put down her cup of coffee. He gave her a nod, and after finishing breakfast, they drove around for a while, listening to radio traffic. A few times, it looked like they would have a call, but then a police officer would say help wasn't necessary, or the dispatcher said the situation was handled. That's the life when you're a first responder, though. It is like military combat, long, continuous hours of boredom and waiting only to be violently ended by an explosion of action that could come in various forms. The pair drifted into the afternoon part of the shift without much to mark down other than backing a few people up or being called, only to be turned back by dispatch. They did talk shop a little, and she had plenty of questions on how to do things and what classes to take, and there were plenty about firefighting. It seemed some of the things he'd heard about her were untrue, and she was pretty nice. She waved to the kids when they passed the school and blared the siren—that kind of public relations he always supported. She did check her phone a lot, but that was everyone these days. Lola used to text him all the time, and even after they separated, she'd wish him a good shift and ask if he made it home safely. He hadn't heard from her since she'd mailed him the paperwork.

While he was dealing with the new normal, he glanced out of the corner of his eye and saw a large pluff of black smoke pushing out into the bright blue sky as they sat at the intersection. He wasn't exactly sure where it was coming from, but it hardly looked like something that was under control. He clicked on the lights and sirens and made a hard left turn, catching his partner's attention. "Hey, Kid," he paused for a second. "Alex get the radio ready I think we have something. It probably has been called in, but they'll need us no matter what."

They headed three blocks down, looking down the streets for the source of the dark smoke in a neighborhood mixed with houses and old industrial buildings. Some of the houses dated back to the old days when it was company housing, and there were row after row of similar-looking houses. They soon saw flames shooting out of the first level of a house only a few down from the end of the block. He turned and rocketed down the block past the house so that fire engines could pull up in front. As he got out, he barely heard what she had to say, and while it sounded like it had been called in, nobody was there yet, and to complicate matters, a homemade sign was sitting in the front of the yard offering daycare services. Then he heard one of the most jarring sounds a firefighter would hear: a child calling for help. People were crying and screaming on the front lawn, and no other sirens could still be heard. Without thinking, he began pulling his gear out of the side compartment. Some of her stuff was mixed in with his, and he tossed it to her. She caught it effortlessly and dressed as he began pulling on his stuff.

The only thing he said when it came to discussing what would happen next was, "We can't wait. We need to go now!"

Butch slowed the ambulance to a stop in front of a house with dark smoke billowing out several windows. A sign at the front of the property in bright rainbow letters spelled out ‘Busy Bees Daycare’ with cartoonish bees decorating the border. The radio chattered to life, alerting anyone in the department even remotely close to the area about the fire, and calling for a response. Lexi’s heart pounded as she hurried out of the rig as she spoke into her radio, "Medic 1403 is 10-12. Structure is a two story home, used as a daycare. Heavy smoke, flames visible. Be advised there are about... 20 civilians on scene outside, at least 10 of them are children."

"10-4 Medic 1403. Engine 5, Engine 12, Ladder 9, Medic 1407, Medic 2315 enroute. ETA 3 minutes."

Through the yelling of everyone on the front lawn, the sirens howling in the distance, the building groaning from the growing heat of the fire, Alexandra heard the terrified screams for help. A child calling for help. Her heart dropped into her stomach. The smoke pouring out of the house was getting impossibly thicker and thicker, and flames were crawling out the windows on the side of the house. That child didn’t have 3 minutes to wait.

A middle-aged woman scrambled over to the two of them as they hastily pulled their turnouts on. “You have to get her out of there! Please get her out of there!” The woman was a mess, understandably so.

“What’s her name? Where did you last see her?” the redhead asked as she checked her oxygen tank levels and made sure her mask was getting adequate flow. The woman said the 4-year-old girl named Ava had been taking a nap upstairs when the smoke started to fill the house. She begged the two of them again to save the child. “We will get her out of there.” Lexi knew better than to make those sorts of promises, but they had to get that little girl.

"1403 going in for rescue of a young girl still inside." She missed the response of dispatch as she pulled her mask over her head, the hiss of oxygen filling her ears. It didn’t matter. She looked at Butch and gave a nod along with a motion to indicate she was ready to head into the house.

As they went in, the smoke was thick and acrid, making it hard to see anything. Flames danced their way along the ceiling, and the kitchen halfway down a short hallway was fully engulfed in flames. Lex couldn't imagine how terrified the little girl must be. The duo made their way through the thick smoke, feeling their way along the walls until they found the stairs.

Last edited:
The bunker gear and pack were on in under a minute, and soon, he had his mask ready. He'd wait until the last second to get the area flowing, but it wouldn't be long as he looked at the smoke push out the doorway. He took the axe and passed the new girl to the halligan bar, and they headed to the door. Like him, she had a light on her gear, which was complete and showed some wear. Good girl, you wouldn't be a liability. There was enough going against them already. The blaze was already at a dangerous level, and he knew whoever arrived from Engine 5 would call for more the second they saw the place. So no ladders, no backup, and no line, so it was time to do some heroic shit. The smoke was thick, and the heat pushed them towards the ground as they entered the house's first level. The heat was repressive, and the air around them was toxic. The stairs were already starting to wabble as they made their way up into the inferno. The woman had yelled to them on the way that the little girl was sleeping in the front room. The problem was that they weren't sure at the top of the stairs. Alexandra began yelling out that they were the fire department and the girl's name, and as she did, he closed his eyes and listened. Finally, he heard a scream followed by coughing behind a closed door.

They nodded simultaneously and moved to the left, down from the landing at the top of the stairs and along the wall. After checking for heat, they pushed open the door and entered a room filled with several single beds, toys, and books everywhere. There was some relief from the heat and smoke, but it was hardly gone. After feeling their way around the room's edges, they found a pink bundle of terrified little girls by one of the windows. She was crying and banging on the window. She couldn't head downstairs or get the window open. The poor thing was shaking and upset. His partner put down her tool, wrapped her arms around the little girl, and pulled her close, and as they turned, they heard sounds of wood splintering and the kind of explosions fire can make. Heading back wasn't an option, even if they took her low through that environment.

Yelling as loud as he could with the mask," Clear!" he smashed the window down the middle with his axe. Then he ripped apart the frame and took out all the glass. He beckoned for Alexandra to pass him the little girl, which she did quickly as she scrambled out onto the roof of the porch of the home. The floor wasn't feeling too secure then, and he didn't wait any longer with his partner and was rescued out in the fresh air. He could see the different companies all out in the street, crews rushing across the line, and ladders going up. You can make a medic a firefighter, but you can't stop them from caring about their patients more. He watched Alexandra carry Ava to that ladder, but after pulling off her mask and putting it on, the girl gave her a rush of oxygen. Well, they were in fresh air now. He followed behind as Ava was handed down the ladder, and she was quickly taken down and handed off to other medics. Mask hanging, Alexandra swung around and went down the ladder, and he followed after her. As he went down, he glanced to the side and saw the ladder truck was moving into position, and a powerful jet of water shot into the house and began combatting the flames.

Once on the ground, they got some fist bumps and attacks, but there was still a fire to fight, and many were busy trying to protect the houses packed closely next to the now fully engulfed daycare center. They were ushered to their own ambulance, and after the gear was off and they drank several bottles of water, the EMTs said they were okay for now but not to leave the scene yet. Sitting on the bumper with Alexandra sitting nearby, Butch stared out at the fire and said, "You know you screwed up, kid; you left my halligan bar on the floor. The kid wasn't that heavy."

He wasn't sure exactly what her reply was, but it was something along the lines of "fuck you, partner."

"Yeah, you did damn good in there. You got a save. We don't get to make many of those." Without a word after that, they just did a fist bump, but both turned and looked at each other for a long moment before Butch looked back at the fire and said, "You got a change of clothes on the rig? I bet you could get a shower at the hospital, and we could check on our little friend. We still have a shift to finish. I think this counts as our break."

Once they were back on the ground, everything was a blur. The little girl was whisked off by one ambulance team while Lexi and Butch were pulled in a different direction to get checked over by another. Lexi stared after her till they shut the back doors of Medic 1407 and drove off.

It wasn't long till they were out of their turn outs, given the once over and released. As she sat on the back bumper of their rig, Alexandra rolled her eyes as he gave her a hard time about his halligan tool. When he said she did a good job, however, a sense of pride and accomplishment swelled up inside her. She hadn't had that feeling in a long time. "Thanks, you did good too."

They gave each other a wordless fist bump, and just looked at each other for a long moment before Butch turned to look back at the dying structure fire they were inside of not even 15 minutes earlier. He asked her, "You got a change of clothes on the rig? I bet you could get a shower at the hospital, and we could check on our little friend. We still have a shift to finish. I think this counts as our break.”

She nodded. "I always keep a change of clothes on shift. You really think they'll give us enough time for a shower?" she asked rhetorically with a sarcastic laugh.

They sat back up in the front of the rig and Butch drove towards Mercy General Hospital while Alexandra typed up the incident report on their laptop. She paused her typing as it played back through her head. The terror in the little girls eyes stood out to her the most when the sound of exploding wood and glass broke through the roar of the fire. And her partner made no hesitation on getting them out of their and back on the ground.

She sent the report and shut the laptop right as he pulled up to the hospital. "Medic 1403 is 10-6 at Mercy General."

"10-4 Medic 1403."

The hospital was a beehive of activity, ER techs and nurses and doctors all moving in different directions. The smell of antiseptic with a hint of vomit wafted through the air. The redhead followed her partner down a few hallways to the staff locker rooms. She went left and he went right into their respective areas. Several rows of lockers were off to one side, bathroom stalls to the other, and several single-stall showers along the far wall. Her muscles began to ache at the thought of a decent, hot shower.

Last edited:
The old timers would say life, death, and a paycheck, you see it all. And sometimes you get to make a difference, like today. That's what Butch was thinking as they drove towards Mercy General. Well, that and that they smelled like a house fire, and the new girl was pretty good with a computer. Well, more than that, she had her shit together, and she was brave, and she cared about her patient. Yeah, he could work with that. They pulled into the ambulance parking, which is not meant for emergencies, and walked through the always hectic and chaotic Mercy General ER. They greeted peers as they made their way through it, but they did stop by the desk to find out where the girl had been taken to in the ER. The clerk told them that, not surprisingly, she was in the pediatric area but politely suggested they clean up first and ensure they knew the locker room codes. They made their way towards the locker rooms and stood by the male and female doors, respectively, for a minute before Butch broke the silence and said, "You need help with your back?"

"You wish. You know how much of that crap I've heard for the last year?"

"Yeah, I kinda have an idea, so I'm sorry. I was kidding."

They just nodded to each other and went into the separate locker rooms. Butch was prepared with soap and shampoo that was geared towards the heavy-duty cleanup and took his time as the grime and dirt went down the drain, and he did think about Alexandra in that way. Without a uniform under the powerful shower head, she was nude, washing her beautiful long red hair. It was actually kind of arousing, but he shook his head. He had to work with this woman, and she'd been treated like shit by a bunch of guys already, so she certainly didn't need yet another firefighter hitting on her. He finally got out of the shower, toweled off with a hospital, and realized he had more than a few of these at home already, so he didn't steal any fresh ones this time and stuffed his dirty uniform in a plastic bag. He wore a fresh shirt and pants and had another pair of boots. After using some mouthwash, he walked out into the hallway and realized the cell phone in his bag was buzzing away. He considered a phone a necessary evil, but the people who cared were lighting it up. There were plenty of missed calls and text messages. He leaned against the wall, waiting for Alexandra, wondering where to start his relies.

He sent a mass text to family and then another to his friends, mostly saying he was fine and not to worry before calling his father's bar. Carsen a cousin and long time employee picked up and was soon yelling for everyone to shut up. He then shared the news with the whole bar as everyone cheered, and eventually, his father got on the line. Apparently, it was on the TV news right away because their chopper caught the whole thing, which, with everything going on, he didn't notice, but everyone said "Red," and he saved the little girl thanks to his name on the jacket. It seems when she pulled off her mask outside, her hair came out, too. The regulars now wanted to buy them drinks and toast them. He said he could not promise anything but to try to get her to come in for one drink after the shift ended. For him, it was a quick stop before going home. He talked for a few more minutes before hanging up and scrolling down the phone a little more.

Lola had called more than a few times and only took a brief listen to her voicemail to let him know she was scared. He dialed her number and was soon putting her at ease as best he could. Of course, when someone was emotional, it wasn't easy. Alexandra, still combing out her long hair walked out of the locker room at the perfectly wrong time as she heard his reply, "Yes, I know we're getting divorced. I signed the damn paperwork already. It's in the mail, for crying out loud. No I know you still care and love me, but I'm fine I'm finishing the shift and..." he glanced over and saw Alexandra and acted like he'd been caught doing something. "Look, I've got to get back to work. I appreciate you calling."

He hung up and missed the fact you couldn't slam down the receiver like with old phones and looked at her again and said, "That was the wife. I mean the ex-wife she still cares." He signed, "She still cares because it's been less than a week. I haven't even gotten my stuff out completely yet. It is complicated. Can we get some coffee and Gatorade and see the kid."

He shoved his phone in a cargo pocket, picked up his bag, put it over his shoulder, and walked down the hallway in the direction of the cafeteria.

Lexi ran a wash rag over her body, and fought her mind wandering several times, knowing Butch was just in the other locker room, naked, soap running down his body... They were work partners. Though she was ever so slightly regretting not seeing if he was serious about helping with her back. What kind of help was he thinking of providing? She had to remind herself they were partners, things needed to stay professional.

She dressed herself in a clean pair of navy cargos, and a black fire department t-shirt that showed the floral tattoo that created nearly a full sleeve down her right arm. She checked her phone as it had been continuously vibrating since she got out of the shower. Her best friend sent her a news link, that showed a video with helicopter footage of her and Butch on the porch roof with the young girl. There were also countless missed calls from her mother. Another one came in and she instantly hit decline on it. She already knew how that conversation would go if she answered, and she didn't have the patience or energy to deal with it.

She was combing her fingers through her hair as she left the locker room and caught the tail end of her partners phone conversation. He quickly hung up and spewed off the complications of what was previously his marriage before pivoting the subject to the little girl. Of course Alexandra was curious and wanted to know more, but it wasn't her place. They haven't even been partnered up for an entire shift yet, it was not her place to pry.

"Uh, yeah, sure." She followed a step behind, watching his broad back, her eyes lingering on his broad shoulders. He moved with an easy confidence, a surety that came from years of training and experience. She shook herself mentally, giving herself the excuse that she was tired and dealing with the deload of stress from earlier.

The cafeteria was quiet, the sounds of clinking dishes and low conversations the only things filling the air. The two headed straight for the coffee pot, and he filldd two Styrofoam cups before turning to her. "You want something else? I'm pretty sure there's some tea and soda over that way."

She smiled, shaking her head. "No, coffee's fine. Thanks." She took the cup he offered and after adding sugar and cream, she took a sip and savored the rich aroma and warmth.

After grabbing a couple gatorade bottles, they made their way up to the Pediatric's floor to see Ava. The hallways were painted in soft pastels, the walls decorated with colorful murals of cartoon characters and children's books. The air smelled faintly of disinfectant and fresh laundry. They walked past several rooms, each with their own little touches that made them feel more homely, like toys and stuffed animals on the beds and framed pictures of families on the walls.

When they finally arrived at Ava's room, she was sitting up in bed, watching a movie on her tablet. Lexi knocked at the doorway, and the little girl lit up as soon as she saw them.

Last edited:
You have ups and downs in your life, and the best thing you can do is move forward, enjoy the good things, and do your best to survive the bad. You don't expect it all in one day, though. His marriage was over, he had a new partner, and before the end of his shift, he risked his life with this woman he barely knew to save an innocent. It was a lot to take in, but what made you different as a first responder was that you just kept going, so for now, he'd have to pretend a cup of coffee was a good way to deal with all of life's problems. He did notice she did her coffee the same, and since she wasn't wearing the jumpsuit now, he noticed her floral tattoo. Very girlie, but after all that fit her and with her pale skin, the colors popped on her arm.

"Nice ink. What do you go by? I never asked," he inquired as they headed towards the elevators. On the ride up, she held his coffee for a second as he downed the whole Gatorade in practically one swallow. He thanked her and took the coffee back as they headed towards the colorful Pediatric floor to visit Ava. It was intended to be a happy place, but nobody felt good when it came to suffering children. Somehow, they got to you no matter how professional and strong you might be, so it was a joy to see Ava sitting up in bed watching a movie, not hooked up to a dozen different life support machines. He soon heard a happy little voice yell out, "You saved me like Wonder Woman," a few coughs followed it, but it was heartwarming.

He stood in the doorway smiling, letting Alexandra have her well-deserved moment. Despite what people thought, saves didn't happen as much as you liked in the fire service. When seconds mattered, the fire was a hell of a life-taker. He glanced to his side and saw a woman who was probably a doctor in scrubs talking to a woman in a worn-out waitress uniform. The woman exploded with emotion when she heard her little girl and came running over and wrapped her arms around him, hugging him and crying. "You, you saved my baby! Thank you, thank you so much."

When you save someone's child, just telling them it's part of the job doesn't begin to cover it, so Butch wrapped his arms around the woman and held her tight as she balled out her eyes. She probably was at work when she got the news and had been a wreck ever since, so he just held her as staff looked on, smiling with a few wiping their eyes. No matter what, today was a good day.

Alexandra held back happy tears as the little girl yelled with excitement and called her Wonder Woman. Her brown hair was an unruly mess, and she had a bandage wrapped around her left hand. But other than that bandage and cough, no one would have ever suspected she had been in the midst of a fire only a couple hours prior. When Alexandra approached the bed, the little girl threw her arms around the fire fighter, who returned the hug without hesitation. "I want to be bwave wike you and a firefighder when I'm growed up."

Lexi smoothed the girls hair as she knelt down by the bed. "But you already were so brave today. You are so brave. So you're already half way there." The two looked to the doorway as a woman, who she presumed was Ava's mom, clung to Butch and sobbed into his chest. He just held the woman and let her get out all those emotions any parent would have. She smiled at him briefly. It wasn't often anyone in their profession got to reconnect with the ones they were lucky to save. But when they could, it would reignite their reason to do what they do.

"Are you marwied?"

The little girls voice brought the red head's attention back to the present moment and she looked at her with a soft giggle and smile. "No, we're just work partners." She paused a moment before continuing. "But we have to make sure we take care of each other and help each other and listen to each other sorta like we're married."

"Oh. That makes your job easier then," she declared before directing her attention back to the movie 'Frozen' still playing on the tablet in her lap, and telling Lexi every detail about every character that came across the screen. She started over once her mom released Butch and he approached the bedside. Lexi held back her giggles and hid her grin behind her hand as he appeared every bit of enthralled as Ava went into a rant about how Olaf couldn't be a snowman in the summer but he didn't know that.

Their stay was brief, about ten minutes at most, before the partners found their way back downstairs and packing their bags back into the side of the ambulance. "Thank you," she said, turning towards him and leaning against the vehicle. "For letting us go see her. I don't think I realized how much that was weighing on my heart until I saw her sitting in that bed. Okay." Alexandra laughed to herself before continuing, "Did you hear her say she wants to be a firefighter when she grows up?"

Last edited:
Besides not being too badly hurt, little Ava was a delight. Her mom, who had been terrified, was so happy just to be talking about a cartoon he was sure the little girl had watched more than a few times. After a bit of talk, she stepped out into the hall with the two firefighters and explained that she'd been working at the truck stop, and her husband was out driving his truck and at least six hours away if he could get away. Daycare was necessary, and she only realized what was happening when the news chopped footage on the TV. Horrified, she drove like a maniac to the daycare, only to be pulled over by an officer heading to the scene as well. She explained the situation to the officer, who escorted her to the hospital instead of ticketing her. She was an emotional wreck, and she hugged Alexandra as well, crying on her shoulder, thankful that her little one was acting like it was only an eventful afternoon. Kids were like that, though, as far as their perspectives went. She even asked her mother if they could get pizza. She turned and said maybe when the doctor said she was okay to go home. They parted ways, and Butch noticed Alexandra wipe away a tear or two as they headed out.

Down at the vehicle, they talked a little before heading out again. "You're very welcome. The bravest thing you can do is take the oath. After that, everything that comes with it is part of the job, but that doesn't mean you can't savor the little moments along the way. You didn't hesitate for a second when I said we had to go in. Some might have said to wait for the engine, or even we're in the ambulance today, but you didn't. Once we were out of the smoke, you put your mask on that little girl and gave her a shot of oxygen, which is probably one of the reasons she's sitting watching TV right now. I'm proud of you, partner. It's Lexi, right?"

They talked a little further, but soon, the radio blared to life again as the dispatcher, Sasha 107, said, "Hey 1403, no rest for the wicked or heroes either in this city. One block over Michael's Deli, someone got stabbed over a dispute about the special. PD is on the scene, and they need you. Acknowledge?!"

Butch shook his head, and he and Lexi bumped into each other and got close for a second. They smiled, and then each got back into the ambulance, and she answered as he drove. Michael's was another area landmark that was open 24 hours a day, servicing the hospital and a few other late-night businesses. It got all kinds, and this wasn't the first robbery or other crime and wasn't even Butch's first visit on a call. Soon, they arrived at a scene filled with emergency vehicles and a crowd of locals. The rain that was promised earlier in the day was finally materializing. As Lexi collected the EMT bag and AED, Butch went to the compartment that held their gear and pulled out to high visibility raincoats and two baseball caps that had EMT stenciled on them. He tossed them to her and put on his as she came around the vehicle. She looked at him questioningly, and he replied, "My regular supplier ordered too many for the new EMT class at city college, so he made me a deal, and I've been handing them out. You can buy me coffee if you want. Put them on and stay dry. They aren't department issues, so they're actually pretty good."

With that, they entered the chaotic scene of police officers, blood splatter, and crime scene technicians clad in white suits and goggles. Almost off to the side, though, was an older Hispanic man with a knife through his forearm, clutching his arm in pain. Lexi rushed right to the man putting on gloves and passing Butch the clipboard without a thought which he began filling out as an officer stepped up to him and began giving him the information. Butch filled in the information as Lexi began giving her assessment and vitals as she took care of the wound and spoke the man in Spanish so well that he began asking where her parents were from. The officer, who clearly seemed to know Butch finished with his information and said, "Yeah, got into it with this customer and made the mistake of leaving the knife out within reach. We got here quickly and got him out of here, but those medical kits in the car wouldn't cut it for this one. So this is your new girl? She's the one from the roof?"

"Ah, she's my new partner, and she was in there with me when we saved the girl. She's the paramedic, and she's got this one."

Her heart beat just a little faster and Lexi fought hard to not break out in a grin hearing that he was proud of her. In just one shift, as much as they had already butt heads, he was beginning to become one of her favorite partners. “Yeah, Lexi.” She almost asked why Butch and not his real name or variation, but then the call for the stabbing came in and they were back in work mode.

At the scene, she eyed the raincoat and hat with hesitation, not because they had EMT written across them, but because he seemed to materialize just what she needed out of thin air. She took the jacket with a quick ‘thank you’ as the rain progressively fell harder.

It was less than a minute before she was knelt down with the middle-aged Hispanic man who had a knife through his forearm. She asked seemingly benign questions that allowed her to run through her patient assessment, before going into more general small talk. The man questioned how she was able to speak Spanish so fluently when she obviously was not Hispanic. She laughed and explained growing up she would spend the summers in Mexico and picked up a lot from there.

After stabilizing the knife, they transported him to the hospital without incident.

The rest of the shift passed in companionable silence, with each of them lost in their own thoughts about the events of the day. The radio crackled occasionally with reports of other emergencies, typically spin outs and crashes caused by the rain, but they were all on the other side of town. When they finally pulled up to the station, Butch parked the ambulance and turned off the engine, and she felt a sense of relief wash over her as he radioed they were out of service. She jumped in the back to refill the various supplies they used and wipe everything down one last time. As she worked, she felt the ambulance shift as he stepped up into the back and fussed with a few things.

"Hey," he said, nudging her with his elbow, "Remember about dinner at my dad's bar? You're still coming, right?"

She smiled at him. “Right. I’ll just follow you, then?”

The rain was dumping as they pulled into the back lot of the bar, and Lexi questioned if she should just go home before it got worse. The roads were flooding with the excess water, storm drains struggling to keep up with the amount of run off. But maybe it would let up in an hour or so, she hoped. If not, well, she'd figure out a way home eventually.

As they walked into the bar and grill, the atmosphere shifted as the patrons recognized the two of them. Butch's father, a sturdy man with a weathered face and a broad grin, bounded over to them, his meaty hand gripping Butch's in a firm shake. "Good job, son," he said, his voice gruff with emotion. "You and your partner there did good today." He slapped Butch on the back before turning to Lexi, who was looking around the room in a mixture of surprise and awe. "And you, missy," he said, "you're one hell of a medic. We're all grateful for what you did."

The rest of the patrons chimed in, their voices a cacophony of praise and gratitude. Butch tried to wave them off, embarrassed by the attention, but they wouldn't be deterred. They all wanted to shake their hands, buy them a drink, and share their own stories of how the rescue had affected them.

The two found themselves sitting at the end of the bar with a couple of glasses in front of them. Lexi had opted for a cider, never having been a fan of beer, while Butch was trying whatever beer his dad had on as a special for the week. There seemed to be a continuous stream of people coming up to talk to them about the rescue, how brave they were to go in without waiting for backup, asking how the little girl was, etc.

Maybe the alcohol on a mostly empty stomach wasn't helping, but it was all overwhelming for Lexi, who had never been comfortable with the spotlight. She was used to at best being invisible, and just trying to be in the good graces of the rest of the department. But now, she was the center of attention, and she didn't know how to handle it. She did her best to say her thank you's and swallow back the shell-shock of being surrounded by so many people. “Excuse me,” she finally said and made a bee-line for the back of the bar where ‘Restrooms’ hung over an open doorway. She turned the corner and leaned against the wall at the bottom of a set of stairs, taking a deep breath.

Last edited:
The weatherman really didn't do the storm justice as it rolled over the city, and soon, flood notices were going off, and firehouses began mobilizing. The next shift, clad in rain gear, took over the ambulance with thanks and praise for a well-done shift. The night watch would be long, so they wished their peers well and headed out to their cars. They talked briefly as he admired Lexi's Jeep, which was tricked out with a light wrack and winch and was even jacketed up with oversized tires with plenty of extras. Today like most days, Butch was driving his "work car," which was an old fire department suburban he'd bought at auction with over 100,000 miles on it. Painted in traditional fire department fire, white, and gold which was now fading, the truck was old and beat up but kept going and had plenty of room for all the gear Butch felt he needed. That included tools, fire department gear, scuba gear, and when it was hunting season, all he needed for the wilderness. People laughed, but when you were stuck during storms or blizzards, having plenty of everything made the difference, letting him help others. The hat in the jacket he gave her was part of a larger lot; he didn't know when he'd need all of them, but they were there neatly packed at home. In fact, the second bedroom in his two-bedroom apartment, despite having a large closet, was just straight-up storage.

With the rain pounding, they went to Mac's Bar & Grill and went inside, talking like ordinary people. He promised she could have a drink or two and be on your way without hard feelings. He wasn't prepared for the crowd's outpouring of appreciation and attention, though. It seemed word had gotten out to everyone through social media or old-fashioned gossip, and they were at the bar waiting to sing their praises. The bar had always been a hangout for cops and firemen in the area, and everyone had some familiar tie to those groups, so from the old couples who came in for dinner and a drink to those pounding cold ones after a hard day, everyone was there to cheer them on. There were a lot of handshakes, hugs, and more than a few asking for pictures with them, and while he didn't know Lexi all that well, he knew she was getting out of her comfort zone. His father, Matthew Fitzpatrick, or Mac as he was known, a nickname he'd gotten from his grandfather, was of his usual self and enjoyed hosting the heroes. He'd reserved some seats for them at the end of the bar and brought over two menus, and while Butch joked with his father, he knew everything he had. Mac told Lexi not to pay attention to him, that they were always special, and he'd be happy to make her anything not on the menu.

Mac headed to see some other long-time regulars who had walked into, but once he walked away, Butch took a long look at Lexi. Her long red hair was down, no makeup, and she was dressed like a boy. Yeah, she looked beautiful in a natural way without any need for polish. He could only see some of her tattoos, but he liked what he saw and was curious about seeing more. But how do you express your feelings to someone you're supposed to be professional with? Well, it was really simple: you didn't. She was his partner, and she'd already had a rough time of things, and she didn't need another guy telling her something she didn't want to hear. He respected her, and that was enough. Besides, he'd just gotten divorced and hadn't even cleaned up that mess yet. Lola loved the house, and despite them living there together, she was perfectly happy to buy him out. They each had their own friends, and he hadn't done anything stupid like screw any of her friends, so they could be civilized if they ran into each other. She had someone new, but hating whoever he was wouldn't make any difference. Whoever the asshole was, he made an effort to be home at night and not be late every time. He didn't have to like him, but he didn't need to care either.

Once Lexi abruptly excused herself, Mac returned, leaned over the bar, and asked his son, "So she did alright today, huh? She's an actual firefighter, not just some medic playing at the job."

"Yeah, she didn't say anything when I loaded up the gear this morning, and she didn't hesitate when we had to head in without backup. That little girl would have been in serious trouble if we'd waited. Plus, she's pretty good at the medical stuff, which is always a plus. It won't be long, and it's only been the first day, but I think we'll be a good fit."

"Glad to hear it, kid, and I am sorry about you and Lola. Your mother and I liked her a lot. You can stay upstairs in the apartment as long as you want, but are you considering moving out?"

"Yeah, once I settle up with Lola and figure out if I'm staying at that station, I thought you liked having me around for maintenance issues and free labor."

Mac laughed as he refilled his son's beer. "Oh, none of that is gonna stop, you know that, right? Besides, not many tenants like living over a bar that is open to 2:30 am most of the time."

Lexi was at the bottom of the stairs, taking a long breath before she heard someone descending the staircase. It was well-lit, and she wasn't so far removed from the crowded upstairs, so she didn't need to worry, and besides, she wasn't the only person who would need the restroom. The woman who came down the stairs had long blond hair in a bun with a few streaks of gray and was wearing glasses, a scrub top, an apron, and a pair of jeans and sneakers. She smiled brightly and offered her a water bottle as she said, "You must be Alexandra. You ride with one of mine. Kenneth, but I bet he didn't even tell you his real name, did he? He's been Butch since he was age eight, and I actually had to set the school right about that at one point. Anyway, we saw you on TV, and we're very proud of you here. Forgive me, though. I've been a nurse for 30 years. Are you feeling okay, honey?"

She gestured to the steps and sat down a few steps from the bottom. She patted the spot beside her but started talking before Lexi sat down. "I'm Alannah Butch's mom. I doubt he mentioned it. He doesn't talk much until he gets to know you, so my heart goes out to you, but if it makes you feel any better, we don't meet all his partners. He's the third of four bundles of joy and a continued source of love and stress over the years. Matthew Junior, my eldest, is in the city's emergency service unit with the police. Jimmy took after his father a little anyway and works as the head bartender at the Smirking Traveler Bar and Grill in the suburbs, but he's a captain on his volunteer fire company. He's given me grandchildren, so he gets some slack. You've met Butchy, who you know is a firefighter, rescue diver, and despite what he says, a pretty good EMT. Diana, my youngest, is a nurse like me, but of course, she had to be a flight nurse and is in the Air Force Reserves. So, like to know my kids are with good people."

She reached down, squeezed Lexi's hand, and smiled, "So I've told you a little about my family. I'm sure you'd love to know more, but what is happening with you, honey?"

While Lexi was getting to know the Fitzpatrick clan and the rest of the neighborhood in another part of town, Lolo, formerly Fitzpatrick, was attacking her divorce situation with her usual organized fury. She'd work from home, so between calls and emails, she'd cleaned the place from top to bottom. She'd changed her ID at the DMV and the bank and already was working out the financial details of the house. Somewhere after letting out the dogs and doing her yoga routine, she'd organized all his stuff into labeled storage boxes and placed them in the garage. That would have taken a few weeks if she had been honest with herself. They had so much stuff they'd done together, and she had to sort through it. She wouldn't be cruel and dump him with everything of them together, but she made her peace and got rid of a lot the best she could. Just weeks before, a good friend suggested they throw a divorce party over coffee. She told her to fuck off and cried in the bathroom. She was successful in college, now climbing the corporate ladder, and a certified yoga instructor, but she couldn't make her marriage work. They weren't a good fit; he wasn't going to change, and neither was she, but then there was a whole rush of feelings. A friend had called her and told her to turn on the news, and there was Butch doing what he did best, and she was just a scared wife praying she'd get a call back that he was fine.

She eventually got hold of him, ignoring calls from work, friends, and even the new man in her life. He sent enough text messages to her that he was beginning to worry. Butch always said she lived on her damn phone, so when someone couldn't get hold of her, it might have been a concern for worry. She let him wait until she talked to Butch, but as usual for them, you could start off from a place of love and good intentions and still manage to get into a fight. She brought up the divorce, but she wanted to say that it wasn't like she didn't care and even wanted him to stay over if he didn't want to be alone. She was looking at her naked finger at the time, and for a second anyway, she felt confused about the breakup. She even got annoyed that she didn't get to find out who the girl was that was with him. Was he keeping a relationship from her? Why should she care? Whatever the answer was, she didn't know, but when she finally talked to her boyfriend, it was to tell him she was OK and needed to be alone.

Last edited:
As Alannah spoke, Lexi felt a warmth spread through her chest. It was the first time someone had offered her such unconditional kindness since she'd joined the department. At almost the same time, there was a twinge in her heart. Lexi couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to have a mother like her, a family like Butch had. A mother and father who would be proud of her, who would support her decisions, and who would be there for her no matter what, and a family who all shared a similar passion it seemed.

"I'm just having a hard time adjusting, I guess," she finally admitted. "My parents... They never really understood my choice to become a paramedic. They think it's dangerous and that I should be doing something more... Conventional." She paused, taking a calming breath as feelings of disappointment and anger and frustration seemed to wash over her. "They didn't talk to me for about three months when I told them I got hired on with the department. And my time with the department hasn't exactly been easy either. I've had several partners who never trusted me or my capabilities just because of my last name and my family. I think finally getting a good partner who trusts me, and being told that I'm doing good after waiting to hear it for so long has just been a lot. Along with other events today..."

The redhead wiped her face, realizing that tears had started creating trails down her cheeks. "I'm sorry, I just met you, I didn't mean to unload on you like this." She laughed at herself, embarrassed. "I've also realized that I haven't really eaten since this morning, so drinking as soon as we got here probably wasn't the best idea."

Alannah laughed and patted her hand. "Honey, there's no need to apologize. I've been there before, believe me. And it's not like we don't drink here, we just usually wait until we get off shift and maybe have some dinner first. I'm sure you could use some food." She stood up, bringing Lexi with her by the arm. "Come on, let's go find Butchy and get you something to eat."

Lexi felt lighter, like she could breathe again. And while she had only met the woman five minutes before, she had this feeling there was already a bond there. One that she didn't want to ever lose. They found Butch at the far end of the bar, still talking to his father. Lexi slide onto a seat next to him and nudged him. "Hey Butchy," she greeted with a teasing grin, that only grew when she saw the slightest annoyance cross his face.

"Hey yourself," he grumbled good-naturedly, glancing over at his mother. "What'd you tell her, Ma?"

Alannah chuckled. "Nothing, Butchy. But she needs to get fed before she has another drink. Now, why don't you two go find something to eat in the kitchen? I'll keep your father company for a bit."

Alannah gently padded Lexi on the shoulder as they walked up the stairs and told her about the bar and the family. She also told her before the night was out, she'd give her their cellphone numbers and her extension at the hospital in case there was an emergency, or she wanted to talk, or they couldn't get away, and they needed to take out. While she had heard things like what Lexi had told her before, it was beyond disappointing to hear. The girl was practically a doctor, was in a profession few men could handle, and chose to care for the sick and injured no matter who called. If she ever met this girl's mother, she would give her a piece of her mind. Making this sweet girl feel bad for no reason and then stand by while she got bullied by a bunch of Neanderthals who happened to serve in a noble profession. She'd taught her children to judge people by character and how they behaved. They grew up in a diverse community, but she knew her kids had the right friends. She was just glad to see they were still doing it as adults. Butch just expected her to be a firefighter no more, no less.

After being teased by his partner, no doubt thanks to his loving mother, Butch, and his partner made their way into the kitchen, which was busy and wasn't cramped with "fans" of the new heroes. There, they met Manuel, one of the bar's long-time employees. He'd worked his way up from busboy to assistant chef, raising his family alongside the Fitzpatrick since he'd immigrated from Spain. Butch had fond memories of playing soccer with Manuel's children in the park down the block while their father worked. So it was no surprise he was greeted with a warm hug and Lexi the same after he explained who she was. After briefly discussing what he thought was best for the night, he sat them down at a table by the pantry as the staff cleaned up around them. Butch laughed and said, "We're eating first class tonight, I promise."

Eating first class, maybe, but they were on milk crates with pillows on a table built out of wooden shipping crates in a kitchen buzzing with activity and the smells of bar food. Butch was sure Lexi had never eaten a meal like this, but he wanted her to know they were in this together. The guys in the kitchen were nothing but gentlemen, and in no short order, they had glasses of water and three appetizers in front of them. Their drinks were refreshed, and Manuel soon brought two sizzling Cheeseburger Deluxes with fresh-cut French Fries. He smiled at Lexi, "Eat up. You had a big day." He turned to Butch and smiled, "Let me know if you and you're partner need anything else."

Butch smiled across the table at Lexi and teased her, saying, "Well, you can't say I don't take you any place nice." He took a breath. "Look, I didn't mean it. We can joke, right? I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or make you uncomfortable. It was good riding with you today, and well, I'm glad we didn't part ways in the parking lot. I know it has been a long shift, but we didn't talk all that much besides business. I don't know what Mom said, but I finally signed my divorce paperwork and am still getting used to that idea, so you made it easy to deal with work and get through it. The ex-wife and I got along when, well, we were away from work, both of us, that is, but well, she didn't like me being gone all the time, and knowing your husband is doing something important doesn't change the fact that you're alone at dinner or sleeping in an empty bed. Take my advice: you can't make a relationship work on vacations and holidays alone. It's none of my business, but I'm sure you have someone in your life, so make time for them."

He stopped and took time to listen to her and eat, and he did like looking in her direction. Lolo would actually call herself ugly when she didn't have her hair and makeup done; Butch liked a woman's natural beauty. He had to admit that he wondered if she did her nails and what she looked like in her underwear. Done with two-thirds of his burger, he did ask, "You know you can get anything you want, but Manuel is proud of his cooking, including soup, salads, and things besides burgers. Now, since you talked to Mom, I'm sure you know I'm not an only child, and yes, we do all get together for dinner sometimes here, but mostly at their place. Plus, my nieces and nephew and anyone who wants a hot meal. She probably already asked you, I'm going to bet. You own at least one dress, right?"

She knew he was teasing and acted accordingly.

Once sat down at the little makeshift table, Lexi couldn't help but watch all the kitchen workers move about the kitchen, each person keeping busy with various tasks and dishes. They seemed to run like a well oiled machine, dancing around each other with ease, anticipating how others would move before they did, all while conversing and laughing with each other in the middle of communicating food orders.

Butch laughed and said, "We're eating first class tonight, I promise."

She rolled her eyes at him with a chuckle before taking a bite of her burger, savoring the taste. The meat was perfectly seasoned and the bun was toasted just right. The fries were hot and crispy and seasoned with the perfect amount of salt. Maybe it was because of the long day, or just good company, but she was certain she'd never had a burger that good before.

Butch smiled across the table at Lexi and teased her, saying, "Well, you can't say I don't take you any place nice."

She gave him another look, raising an eyebrow at him while her mouth was still full of her burger.

He took a breath. "Look, I didn't mean it. We can joke, right? I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or make you uncomfortable. It was good riding with you today, and well, I'm glad we didn't part ways in the parking lot. I know it has been a long shift, but we didn't talk all that much besides business. I don't know what Mom said, but I finally signed my divorce paperwork and am still getting used to that idea, so you made it easy to deal with work and get through it. The ex-wife and I got along when, well, we were away from work, both of us, that is, but well, she didn't like me being gone all the time, and knowing your husband is doing something important doesn't change the fact that you're alone at dinner or sleeping in an empty bed. Take my advice: you can't make a relationship work on vacations and holidays alone. It's none of my business, but I'm sure you have someone in your life, so make time for them."

Lexi wasn't sure what to say. Butch was opening up to her, sharing his own struggles. She knew what it was like to be alone and wonder if she'd made the right choices. She was currently single and had never been married, but she'd had her share of relationships that had ended for one reason or another, usually because it seemed like she was more committed to school and her career than her exes. It was hard to hear about someone going through the same thing.

"I'm sorry to hear that," she finally said. "I can't say I've been successful with relationships either, but I don't know if I've been trying hard enough. I mean, there's always something else to focus on, right? It's easy to get caught up in work and school, especially when it's something you're passionate about. But... maybe I should make more of an effort. Maybe I should try to find someone who understands that, someone who's okay with me being busy but still wants to be a part of it."

Butch nodded, understanding her point. "You're right, there's always something else. But you can't let that be an excuse. You have to make time for the people who matter. Because, trust me, when you're old and gray, you won't regret the time you spent with someone who made you happy. You'll regret the time you spent worrying about stupid stuff that didn't matter in the grand scheme of things."

Lexi thought for a moment, her expression thoughtful. "Or maybe I should just focus on myself for a while, you know? Maybe I need to figure out what I want out of life before I can share it with someone else. I mean, how can I expect someone to be happy with me if I'm not even sure I'm happy with myself?"

Butch smiled gently. "That's a good point. I think it's important to have a sense of who you are and what you want. But don't forget, it's also important to have someone by your side who loves and supports you through it all. And sometimes, you just have to take a chance. You never know what might happen."

It was comforting to know that someone else understood where she was coming from, that there were other people out there who had gone through similar struggles. And maybe, just maybe, there was someone out there for her. She just needed to keep looking. Lexi felt a warmth spread through her chest at his words, and the smile he gave her made her stomach feel funny. Or was it because she was scarfing down her burger too fast?

"Now, since you talked to Mom, I'm sure you know I'm not an only child, and yes, we do all get together for dinner sometimes here, but mostly at their place. Plus, my nieces and nephew and anyone who wants a hot meal. She probably already asked you, I'm going to bet. You own at least one dress, right?" Butch asked jokingly.

Lexi paused, recalling briefly Alannah mentioning something about dinner Sunday night and Lexi was more than welcome to join. But, she also recognized the teasing tone his voice took on. "I have a few dresses, why?" she responded with a teasing grin. "You planning on asking me to dinner too? Don't you think things are moving a little fast here? First shift today, I get to meet your parents, and you're asking me on a date to the next family dinner... What's next?"

Butch laughed, the sound warm and deep. "I'm just teasing you. It's not like we're in high school or anything. You can come if you want. It's not a date, just dinner with the family. We can all hang out, get to know each other better."

The redhead took another bite of her burger, savoring the taste of the juicy patty and the crisp lettuce, while inwardly she sighed and couldn't help but feel the smallest amount of disappointment. Yet, there was something about the way he said it, the way he made it sound like they were already friends, that made her feel better.

She knew she shouldn't get too attached, not when they'd truly just met that day and he'd just gotten out of a marriage and was still finding his footing. As she chewed, she glanced across the table at Butch, taking in his warm smile and genuine laughter. He was handsome in a rugged sort of way, with his dark hair and hazel eyes. She couldn't deny the fact that she enjoyed being around him. He made her feel comfortable and at ease, like she could be herself. And maybe that was enough for now. Maybe she could just enjoy being around him, without expecting anything more.

Last edited:
He reached across the table and handed her a cloth napkin so she could wipe some of the juice off the side of her face. She nodded with thanks, and he returned to his steak fries and thought about the little things like that with Lolo when you'd do loving little things for each other without thinking. He could appreciate the value of those things even if he knew his relationship was over, and yes, that sucked, but it was probably for the better. He looked over at the redhead and thought they'd had a hell of a first date if you wanted to get technical. They met at work, saved a life together, met his family, and he'd gotten her a meal. That was a few dates worth of adventure and connection, so maybe things were slightly different. He was actually kind of surprised she didn't have someone away from all this insanity who didn't rush into burning buildings for a paycheck. While most on the job were blue-collar, she wasn't, and he'd heard she had all kinds of degrees besides the stuff required for work. Someone even said she'd lived in France for a while. This girl was different, but from what he saw, she had good character. She'd endured a lot of bullshit from some of his peers, and he never liked the hazing aspect of the job. There was a lot to learn, and you needed to build trust over time. The ball-busting and crap the rookies were generally put through made it just that much harder.

While they didn't hold hands or anything, there was a good energy around them. They were in a large, hectic kitchen, and they were talking generally with none of the background noise bothering them. He had already decided that if his partner did find a boyfriend, he'd make sure he was a guy of quality. He wouldn't judge if the guy were a lawyer or stockbroker or something like that. Yeah, you could be an office guy and still a man, but the Fitzpatrick children grew up in a rough-and-tumble world. He and his siblings all worked in construction with their Dad when he couldn't afford help; you learned to cook because everyone worked, and while their parents never encouraged them to fight, they told them they better not lose. You worked shifts day or night, and you always took overtime if it was offered so you had money for a rainy day. So, they all needed to find someone who wasn't a wimp. It was a little blunt, but while Lolo lived in the corporate world, she wasn't born there. She knew how to do plumbing and drywall and wasn't opposed to changing the oil or working in the yard. The fact was she grew as a person, and wanting something more regular wasn't a bad thing, but it wasn't something he could offer her, and deep down, he didn't want to. As he ate again, he looked at his partner and thought how different she was. She had options, but she made a choice, and that was admirable.

"Well, don't go too far with things. I mean, well, I didn't plan on getting divorced, but I don't want to end up like Bob Lingelbach. Don't get me wrong, he was a great guy, but all he had was the job." Bob Lingelbach was a legend in the fire department who served 30 years, and even in retirement, he'd show up to fires and other emergencies to lend his advice if he didn't get directly involved. He spent most of his career in one firehouse and lived alone in a nearby apartment, having most of his meals at a local diner. He was a hero many times over and was noted as a founding member of several special units in the department. He even penned a book about training and tactics. He had no family outside the department and never made time for one. In fact, when he passed away at home, he was found by a friend who hadn't heard from him for a few days.

Butch wasn't sure who acted first, but soon they were both holding hands, and she squeezed his hand before pulling it back and said, "Hey, I don't think that will happen to either one of us. You need a minute, and I need a minute, but we're not choosing to be alone. Right?"

"Yeah, you're right. Are you ready to head back out there? A lot of people want to thank you and buy you a drink. You can set the pace, and I'll be with you, but hey, saves don't happen often, so you should enjoy the moment."

They returned to the bar area, sharing drinks and stories with the regulars for the next few hours. People asked questions, and the veteran firefighters told their own stories. They shot pool and threw some darts as they talked and drank, and Butch was happy to see the old timers giving her the respect she deserved. Those men were secure in who they were and didn't feel the need to put anyone down. She wasn't bragging and acted like it was part of the job. A few shared with their "little sister" the wisdom they'd learned over the decades, and even several asked her to dance. Butch looked on with a smile as she indulged them in a few slow dances to Sinatra and a few other classic singers. Yes, they treated her like a girl, but she was a firefighter like them, and Butch was pretty sure she wasn't always feeling that way. Things drew to a close a bit before closing as the weather hadn't improved, but fortunately, the city hadn't called them back to duty yet. When they watched the 11 o'clock news, it was just a handful of staffers and regulars living close by watching. It seemed like the weather was pretty bad, but not an emergency, but his parents decided to close down anyway, and after the last person left, Butch and Lexi walked out with his parents, who, after they said their goodbyes told him to make sure Lexi got home safe.

They stepped back into the bar and into the lobby area at the front of the building, which had the entrance to the bar on the side and another locked door leading to the small lobby for the apartments. A stairwell was going up to the apartments, down to the laundry area, and an elevator. As Butch checked the lock one last time, he glanced over at Lexi, now back in the rain gear and ballcap he'd given her only hours before. She looked concerned but not overwhelmed, so Butch decided to make a gesture and said, "Hey, you might have to leave the bar, but you don't need to go home. You can stay at my place and drive home in the morning."

Lexi spun around, looked at him, and replied, "Excuse me?"

Butch turned to face her, knowing that there was no right way to say what he meant, but he tried again. "You can crash at my place; nobody needs to know about it, and we don't work tomorrow, so you can just head home. The guest room is full, but you can have the bed. I have a huge couch upstairs, which I'll sleep on. I ended up with some extra department sweats and T-shirts, which were too small for me, so I'm sure they'll fit you, and there is a door in the bathroom. Look, if you have someone waiting on you at home or a pet, I get it, and if you know someone close, cool, but there is no reason to go out in a monsoon. I'm not going to try anything. God knows you've been through a lot, but you can trust me. If you don't know, maybe I'll earn it with you, so in that case, drive safe and see you at work in a day."

Lexi enjoyed herself as she finally felt she was being welcomed with open arms by other firefighters. Granted, these guys weren't the ones she'd been working with over the past year. They had stories upon stories to share with her and Butch from decades of experiences. She listened attentively as they took turns throwing darts or shooting pool, rotating between the games, as the veteran firefighters shared words of wisdom and little tricks they'd learned over time. As the night wore on, Lexi found herself feeling more at ease, more like she belonged. She even shared a few stories of her own, ones that made the others laugh and nod in understanding.

At some point someone had started playing music from old crooners, and after politely saying no several times, Alexandra agreed to a few dances from some of the older gentlemen. They spun her around and sang in her ear, making her smile and laugh. She couldn't help but feel a sense of contentment.

Slowly the crowd thinned out as thunder occasionally shook the building and lightening flashed outside, and the rain continued coming down in a relentless torrent. The music changed from the old crooners to something more modern, and Lexi found herself next to Butch again, watching the news as they recapped the storm. It was decided to close the bar down early to allow everyone time to get home safely at a somewhat decent hour.

They walked Butch's parents out and, after Lexi exchanged phone numbers with Alannah and they said their goodbyes, the redhead found herself standing in the small empty lobby area of the building. She stared out the doors at the darkness that seemed to consume the light from the street lamps while she pulled the rain gear she was given earlier back on. She was sure she'd be fine on the way home, her Jeep was more than capable of driving in such conditions and she was sure she'd be able to navigate just fine. But the intensity of the weather still had her just the slightest bit worried.

"Hey, you might have to leave the bar, but you don't need to go home. You can stay at my place and drive home in the morning," Butch said after he checked the lock on the bar door one last time.

She turned and gave him a questioning look, surprised by the offer. "Excuse me?" She realized after the words left her mouth that it sounded almost accusatory of his intentions. She understood, as he somewhat over explained what he meant by the offer, that he was truly concerned about her wellbeing and it was a genuine offer. Still, she hesitated.

She didn't want to be a burden, didn't want to make him sleep on the couch or feel like he had to take care of her. She was fine with her own place, with her own space. She was used to taking care of herself and didn't want him to think she couldn't handle it. But at the same time, she was a bit unnerved by the storm, the darkness outside and the flickering of the lights as the city power seemed the waver. And the loud crack of thunder that made her jump and scoot closer didn't help. Maybe she didn't want to be alone in the middle of a storm. That, and she was enjoying spending time with him. Maybe she was craving to build a new friendship, or maybe it was that smile and look he had when he watched her dancing earlier, and she wanted to see more.

"Okay, fine. But just so we're clear, I'm not kicking you out of your own bed. I can sleep on the couch," she declared with a tone of playful defiance.

Butch chuckled as he shrugged. "The couch is fine. Really. You don't have to worry about that." He didn't wait for her to protest further as he unlocked the door on the other side of the small lobby and led her up the stairs to the next floor. The floorboards creaked beneath their feet and the lights flickered again as they made their way down a hallway to what she assumed was his door. He let her in and the apartment was larger than she expected.

Last edited:
The building that contained the Butch's family bar was one of those small factories which used to crowd city blocks for over a century. Over time, though, as technology advanced and jobs went overseas, the buildings were slowly abandoned and eventually converted into housing. Butch's grandfather, who took over the construction business from his father, saw potential in the old building. He built larger apartments for families and ensured plenty of room for what would come for the family business to thrive.

So when the heavy-duty security door was open, and Alexandra walked in, she saw a considerable apartment with exposed brick walls on three sides. The floor was a polished hardwood, also original to the building. The wall opposite them was painted white, and three doors broke the smooth wall. There were plenty of firefighting pictures and posters, too. Polished industrial lights hung from above looked like they might have been part of the original factory. The kitchen was to the left, with an island with a two-basin sink.

All the stainless steel appliances and even the cabinets looked like they were for commercial use. The fridge was covered with plenty of papers, but also drawings Alexandra suspected were from Butch's niece and nephew. The knives next to the cutting board looked like they belonged in a butcher shop. Also along that wall was a table and chairs, but the table looked like one a carpenter might build on a job site out of sturdy lumber. There were a few place settings, and books, cases of water, and hand weights covered the rest.

To the right was a square-shaped couch that looked like the ones the department had in their lounge areas. Several wooden trunks were acting as end tables. In the middle of the floor was a blue carpet with a Maltese cross, covered by a coffee table similar to the kitchen table and a flat-screen TV mounted on the brick wall between two large, heavy-glass factory windows. The street lit up with lightning, revealing that the storm was still raging. In the corner nearest them were bookshelves well made from cinder blocks and lumber but filled with books. On the floor, there was a cardboard box filled with pictures of Butch and Lolo.

They stood on an oversized floor mat with plenty of boots and running shoes lined up and a rack of hooks mounted on the wall where they hung up their coats. Butch cleared his throat and said, "Well, I didn't go too nuts with making it mine. I never thought I would stay here that long, but this is home. I am still deciding about getting another place."

He walked out into the apartment and pointed out the three rooms. "The bathroom is in the middle and pretty clean. You'll find towels and everything you need inside the large wall cabinet. The bedroom is on the right where you'll be sleeping, with no arguments. I just changed the sheets, and a winter comforter is on them. The spare bedroom is filled with supplies, but there are a few clear plastic tubs with some sweats and t-shirts that are women's sizes. I got extras last time around for my sister, and ah, well, you can have them if you want. There is pink and blue; it's your choice."

He turned back around and looked at her. "Hey, nobody needs to know about this. People talk. You seem like a good person and my partner, so it's no big deal. You've slept at the station, right? Same thing, really. If you feel the need to sleep in the nude, I am adaptable if it helps," he said with a smirk and a laugh.

Alexandra nodded as she looked around the apartment, taking in the details. "It's nice. It feels... homey. I like it." She bent down to pull her boots off at the door, and as she set them to the side she noticed the box and the dozens upon dozens of photos that filled it. The one that sat at the top was a picture of Butch and Lolo together. They were dressed up at what looked like was as wedding, their arms around each other's waists and had big smiles on their faces. They looked happy. Lexi's heart ached for him, knowing that the picture wasn't his reality anymore.

She stood and wandered the apartment, looking at the pictures that hung on the walls. Of course they were all centered around firefighting, that was his life and what he lived for, especially now. She stopped at a photo of a much younger Butch at what looked like a promotional ceremony. To the right of him was their fire chief who was also much younger and still had hair on his head. Butch's parents stood to the left of him, and she could see the pride in their faces. Another photo next to it showed him with his parents, along with who she could only guess was his siblings based on how much they all looked alike. Smiles were plastered on all of their faces, looking like they were all giggling and laughing.

Butch pulled her out of her thoughts as he walked further into the apartment and pointed out the three rooms through the doors that broke up the large white wall. The bathroom, his bedroom, "...on the right where you'll be sleeping, with no arguments. I just changed the sheets, and a winter comforter is on them." He continued on, not allowing her to say anything, pointing out the spare bedroom where she could possibly find a change of clothes.

He turned back around and looked at her. "Hey, nobody needs to know about this. People talk. You seem like a good person and my partner, so it's no big deal. You've slept at the station, right? Same thing, really. If you feel the need to sleep in the nude, I am adaptable if it helps," he said with a smirk and a laugh.

A flush spread across her cheeks as Alexandra caught the tone in his voice. She rolled her eyes, biting her bottom lip as she tried not to smile. "Oh, I'm sure you would enjoy that entirely too much." She stepped closer to him, feeling a sudden surge of boldness as she continued her teasing, wanting to test the waters a bit more. "But I guess it really wouldn't matter since you're so adamant about sleeping all by yourself out here on the couch." A wave of heat wash over her body at the way he was looking at her, making her feel wanted in a way she hadn't felt in a long time. Sure, she'd gotten crude comments from other guys at the station, but this was... different. She couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to be with him, to know what it was like to be held by him, to feel his strength and his heat.

Their gazes locked as she took another step closer, her heart racing in her chest. She could feel the tension between them, almost see it in the way he was trying not to take a step closer himself. The small voice of reason in the back of her head rang out, yelling that what she was about to suggest was a bad idea and could ruin everything they built that day. She bit her tongue and looked away, past him into the bedroom. It was dimly lit from the light being casted through the doorway from the living room. She could see the large bed against the opposite wall, neatly made with a dark blue comforter, a pillow, and sheets, and trunks similar to the ones that served as end tables for the couch were used as nightstands.

Last edited:
Butch would be lying if he said he wasn't getting aroused by Alexandra, and he even let his mind wander to places he shouldn't with some simple justifications. He was now single, a good guy who wouldn't tell anyone. She was single, and he'd treat her well. Of course, they'd just met; he was just officially divorced, and he had to see this woman every day at work for at least a few months. Even if she wanted to, this was a bad idea. What he could take from it guilt-free was that they could joke together and be friendly. That was how you built a partnership, and this was a good start.

Alexandra, or Lexi as she liked to be called, was a good woman. So they were getting along, and that was a good thing. So he beckoned her into his bedroom, and while she might have gotten a glance, he gave her the full view. A while back, city college was updating and renovating a number of their campus dorms, and as usual, Butch seized on the opportunity. He grabbed several bunk beds, and while his brother was happy to take a set for the kids, he took three.

Two wooden bottom bunks with built-in drawers flanked a third top unit in the middle. All were attached in a do-it-yourself fashion, but it was overbuilt like most of his projects. With a few high-grade mattress pads, you had a poor man's California King. A flat painted blue board nailed to the plain open backing made the perfect headboard, and the two chests had matching laps lighting the room up. The blue industrial shelving with drawers filled with clothes across from the bed seemed more at home in a workshop.

Lexi stood very close to Butch as they stood in the doorway with him, explaining how he came by and built everything. "My sister and my brother-in-law, who I love," Butch said with a slight laugh. "Lived here for a little while. I was not too fond of their old bedroom set or most of the rest. I buy in bulk, so you'll find plenty of towels and stuff in the bathroom cabinet. So if you're cool, we could sleep together. I mean, well, next to each other and still have plenty of space."

Butch turned and was very close to Alexandra, but neither of them moved. He looked into her eyes, and it felt like there should be something more happening. To be sure, part of him just wanted to pick her up and kiss her, but while that played out in his head, complete with them pulling off each other's clothes on the bed, he just asked, "Why not, Alex? Why Lexi? I'll call you whatever you want. Maybe even friend one day, but you have me curious."

There they talked, and he could feel the tension like there was something more, but hey, they'd had a hell of a first day together, and the thought of a passionate release before cuddling up together would have been nice, but this wasn't some firefighting romantic comedy. It wasn't a good idea to do things like that, even if she might be into it. He'd have to work with this woman. She was his buddy, and he'd literally just ended his marriage and knew nothing about her.

Standing in his bedroom doorway, he gently caressed his long red hair, trying to hide all these feelings. "I'll use the bathroom first while you go into the other room and find some sweats. I have my stuff in the bathroom, and when you're ready and cleaned up, you meet me there. I have no problem with the couch, so say so. I have no hard feelings, but don't go. I like having you around, buddy. It's nice not being alone."

He broke the moment's tension and headed right into the bathroom, closing the door and unintentionally leaving it cracked. Like most days, he stripped down naked before the sink, throwing practically everything in the hamper and brushing his teeth. He paused, looked at himself in the mirror, and took a deep breath. He was scared, tattooed, and pretty muscular. He was sure Lexi didn't know he had a Japanese tattoo that was an entire back piece. It's not like she didn't like tattoos.

Why the hell was he being so self-conscious all of a sudden? He wasn't going to have sex with this woman, but well, they were going to be close, and he hadn't done that with anyone in a while. The fact that he was rock hard told him that while his mind was looking at this logically, his body was more primal. After standing in front of the bathroom mirror for a while, deciding that everything would be fine and that another shower was unnecessary, he pulled on some sweatpants and a T-shirt and returned to the bedroom.

Butch was flipping through pages of his tablet under the covers before Lexi finally entered the bedroom. The clear plastic bins of the very packed "guest room" were marked, and while it looked like a first responder store room, he kept it clean and organized. So Butch didn't bother her when he heard her moving stuff around or bother her in the bathroom. He smiled at her when she came in, walked around the bed, and studied what items she'd taken to sleep in.

She smiled, glanced at him, and saw a brown teddy bear in a fire department t-shirt sitting on the two pillows on her side. "Who's this little guy, and how did you know what side I sleep on?"

"Oh, I thought you might like it. He's leftover from some fundraiser for Valentine's Day or something. All the ones with the pink department shirts went first. I thought you might be lonely, and I'm on my side. It just worked out for you, Lexi. Do you have any plans for the day off tomorrow?"

The bedroom furniture was almost nostalgic for Lexi, as she recognized the plain wooden bed frames used for dorm bunks. She looked forward to trips home from college during school breaks if only for her giant bed and privacy in her own room. Butch snapped her out of her thoughts again as he mentioned ‘sleeping together’ though he immediately corrected himself, making sure he specified they would sleep next to each other. Still, the thought made her stare at him just a moment too long before he asked about her name.

“Uhm…” She shook her head slightly, as if to get her thoughts to line back up. “Well, honestly it started because my mom hates it,” she admitted. “She thinks it’s a hooker’s name, and ‘it’s not very becoming of a Hartman lady’,” she said in a mocking voice. “But it just sort of… Stuck, I guess, and grew on me. I still enjoy how much it pisses my mom off, though.”

They stood there for a few more moments. They were both holding back, she could see it in the way he was fidgeting, the way he watched her. Then he did what he did on the ambulance earlier in the day, giving her the rundown of how things would go - he’d use the bathroom, she’d go find some clothes, etc. He was trying to shut her out, and shut down whatever was going on between them. “I have no problem with the couch, so say so. I have no hard feelings, but don't go. I like having you around, buddy. It's nice not being alone."

The word buddy sucker punched her in a way she wasn’t expecting. She took a breath as he turned and went into the bathroom, closing the door behind himself. As she turned to go into the spare bedroom, she caught his reflection through the crack in the door, and that breath she took left her lungs immediately. Lexi knew she shouldn’t look, shouldn’t stare. But there was more to him than she had already been imagining. She admired the curves of his muscles, along with other things that just seemed to stand out. She chewed her lip as she pulled herself away and into the spare bedroom.

“Maybe staying was a mistake,” she whispered to herself as she sorted through the clear bins with clothes in them. Lines were slowly being blurred and her resolve was being tested. She pulled out a navy blue t-shirt and matching sweats. Holding them up, she considered them and shrugged, hoping they would fit, if anything be on the side of too big.

She heard him go back into the bedroom, so she went into the bathroom and made sure the door was closed all the way before she changed. She washed her face, and used a spare toothbrush he had left out, before she considered herself once more in the mirror. The shirt and sweats hung loosely on her frame, leaving much more to the imagination than her usual pajamas of sleep shirts or tank tops and shorts. She thought about keeping the sweats on, knowing the added layers would probably be a good idea in their current situation, but she knew she would overheat and end up kicking them off in her sleep at some point anyway. Once the sweats were off, the t-shirt hit her about mid-thigh but still showed off the length of her toned legs. She tied her hair back in a braid before padding barefoot into the bedroom.

Butch was laying on the left side when facing the bed, already under the covers, flipping through something on his tablet. Lexi returned his smile while she played with the hem of the shirt as she walked around the bed to the empty side and laid her eyes on the bear. "Who's this little guy, and how did you know what side I sleep on?"

"Oh, I thought you might like it. He's leftover from some fundraiser for Valentine's Day or something. All the ones with the pink department shirts went first. I thought you might be lonely, and I'm on my side. It just worked out for you, Lexi. Do you have any plans for the day off tomorrow?"

She pulled the covers back and climbed into the bed. The bed was far more comfortable than she was expecting, feeling soft and plush yet supportive all at once. “No, no plans except for a hot date with my washer and dryer.” Holding the bear on her lap, she played with its fur. “Why, do you have plans for me?” The question held a hint of playful teasing, but she didn’t dare look at him.

Last edited:
Back