Immortal Love (Closed for Veroe)

IC: Alain De'Montreau

Down the street where the fairgrounds Frank's carnival occupied a thick black billowing plume of smoke emerged. Something was burning. He looked at Sonam. "Hang on." And pressed his foot down on the gas. The classic Bel Air roared down the street towards the source of the fire.

"Cowards attacked my family again!" The growl from Sonam made Alain glance over to her. "Thats it... Lets end these goons... NOW!"

"Wait, kid," He said taking a look at the Tahoe behind them. Despite his acceleration it was keeping pace with him and maintaining a few car lengths behind them. There was no debate now. That SUV was definitely tailing them. "Put aside your anger and think. Why would they attack the carnival? Selena isn't there any more, and fire is too showy. If they thought that Frank guy knew where she was hiding they'd try to beat him up, not set his carnival on fire. Now its only a matter of minutes before the police and the fire department and reporters show up. That kind of attention will only hinder their aims. So if it was them and not just an accident why did they do it?"

They pulled up to the fairgrounds as a fire truck was coming down the street. Alain kept a corner of his attention on the Tahoe as they slipped out and tried to circle around the firefighters to find Frank.

Sonam

She grumbled but he was right... something really wan't profitable in this fire. Could it have been an accident by someone in camp? She was deep in thought about that as they hunted down Frank. Seeing her mother and Gitana with the kids she nudged Alain and pointed them out not thinking about the immortal sense and it seemed her mother was far too wrapped up... No... Gitana had her mind directed away from everything but Tia and her brother and the other kids. She just nodded as Gitana looked over to them a smile for Alain and a disappointed look melting into a smile to Sonam as well.

Frank and Sully

Sully looked at his old friend and knew right off the bat Frank was not completely there. A large portion of his old friend was still in that infernal jungle still fighting a war that would never be over for people like him.

Frank... You did what you had to do... Matters are now a city problem as well... someone is attacking a harmless carnival and the mayor wants to know who in his town has that much hatred for such a fun and peaceful place.

Frank stares at him listening but he still saw the young kid that saluted him in hospital while most barely wanted to deal with him.

Everything is still secure kid... you have the easy job... monks and nuns seldom lose it... like the rest of us. Just keep balance on your end... something is going to give this time... even if I am the one making it give.

Sully nodded...

Okay Frank... you still have a student to think of... there is not a soul capable of that job but you... that trust is a rare find... Speaking of which... Looks like you have company.

Nodding to Sonam and Alain as they walked up.

Alright Frank I will leave you to your guests but if you remember anything be sure to call the number on this card and tell them you need to speak with Sully immediately and they will patch you through or heads will roll. I will find out who keeps attacking my favorite carnival.

With that he walked away as Frank looked to Sonam and Alian.

Kingman... Hope out little runaway has not given you too much grief. Sonam... next time ask Roman before you take off on one of the bikes. That one needed repair.

Sonam knew the look in his eyes and just nodded.

Okay Frank sorry.

She was curious how he knew Alain's Hiding name but dismissed that for now since Frank was clearly not fully Frank right now.

They pulled up to the fairgrounds as a fire truck was coming down the street. Alain kept a corner of his attention on the Tahoe as they slipped out and tried to circle around the firefighters to find Frank.

He slowed as the uneasy feeling of another immortal's quickening washed over him. He grabbed Sonam's hand. "Wait, One of us is nearby."

Cautiously they rounded a corner and saw the woman that had called herself Gitana last night was there watching the pile of tarps and crates burn, and the firefighters hosing water onto it to put it out. Despite that Alain's eyes went straight to Selena. She had been here the whole time.

Then the carnival's owner, Frank, came up to them.

"Kingman..." He nodded, "Hope our little runaway has not given you too much grief."

Alain shrugged, "No more than I imagine she gives people normally." Interesting that he remembered so clearly the name he used now, but not unheard of.

Frank turned to Sonam then. "Sonam... next time ask Roman before you take off on one of the bikes. That one needed repair."

She nodded in response, "Okay Frank sorry."

"We'd like to ask you some questions, Frank," He told him, "But first..."

With that he headed off towards where Gitana and Selena were. He came up to them his eyes never leaving the woman he loved unconditionally once a lifetime or two or three ago, though he kept the other Immortal, Gitana, in his peripheral vision as he approached. "Selena," He said coldly, "Are you alright?"

Sonam

She kept an eye on Alain nearing her mother and stifled a snarl at his cold tone to her. Frank put a hand on her shoulder to stop her from getting involved.

Let them go their own pace kiddo. Remember what I told you... might as well start now.

Sonam just glared at him and waited for Alain to get back over there to start the questions. She was not sure how she was going to handle this never interfere crap but Frank trusted her and deep down that meant the world since he really didn't fully trust anyone.

Selena

She smiled as the children scurried off to their dad when Alain walked over. She stood a cold cruel tone edged her voice as she whipped her head around with a cold glare.

This has happened because well meaning people and a rebellious daughter have prevented me from running and leading him away from here. So why have you returned Alain I thought goodbyes and all of that were already said and everything was past never to be brought back yet here you are?

She turned to Tirana when she walked over.

Silence Gitana If you had dragged her to the temple when I asked you to my family here would not have been attacked because I would have been long gone from here. Now please do as I have asked and let me get out of here leading him far from what is left of my family.

With that he headed off towards where Gitana and Selena were. He came up to them his eyes never leaving the woman he loved unconditionally once a lifetime or two or three ago, though he kept the other Immortal, Gitana, in his peripheral vision as he approached. "Selena," He said coldly, "Are you alright?"

Sonam snarled at his cold tone to her mother, but curiously the old carnival owner put a hand on her shoulder to stop her saying, "Let them go their own pace kiddo. Remember what I told you... might as well start now."

Interesting, something in his tone raised red flags to Alain, like there was more he wasn't saying, and that more involved him and Selena somehow. Yes, something about the old veteran, yes Alain recognized that hyper-vigilance in Frank's eyes-he'd seen it in the mirror enough times himself, didn't quite add up. There was a hidden element to the old man...something staring him in the face he hadn't quite recognized yet, but he would eventually. One thing he had learned over the centuries was the value of patience and watchfulness.

Then Selena turned to him with an equally cold tone to her voice. "This has happened because well meaning people and a rebellious daughter have prevented me from running and leading him away from here," she told him, "So why have you returned Alain I thought goodbyes and all of that were already said and everything was past never to be brought back yet here you are?"

"Maybe I'm just a masochist seeking out the one person who has hurt me the most," He bit out. He knew intellectually it wasn't exactly the fairest or kindest thing to say to her, but he couldn't help it. "Or maybe I want to show you how wrong you are. I am going to find this man you fear so much, and I'm going to kill him."

But she had turned to the other immortal who looked like she was about to say something and cut her off, "Silence Gitana If you had dragged her to the temple when I asked you to my family here would not have been attacked because I would have been long gone from here."

"Your daughter was safe at my place for the night," He put in.

But Selena continued with Gitana, "Now please do as I have asked and let me get out of here leading him far from what is left of my family."

"No," He said reaching out and taking her by the hand, "You ran from this man in Venice and he found you still. How many times have you ran from him over the years, Selena? How many times did you find someplace like this carnival to hide in? How long before he found you yet again and made you run once more? You're stuck in unending cycle, my love..." He stopped shocked at the unintended but truthful slip of the tongue and shook his head. "...You run this time and he'll only find you again. The only way to stop it is to end it, permanently, Selena." He swung his guitar case around and opened it a crack so only she could see his sword inside it. "Let me end this unending nightmare for you, with this."

Selena

She whipped around when he grabbed her hand. An almost panicked look in her eyes as she seemed frozen for a moment. She did not pull her hand away she was not sure she could if she wanted to. She heard the barrage of questions about her running and him finding her. Alain's words of killing him echoing in her mind.

Alain... I...

Falling silent she just watched his eyes and face. She was far beyond divided. Does she tell him everything and risk more hate and anger or does she endure what hate and rage already exists between them and stay silent. Gitana walked over and placed a hand on Selena's shoulder offering her strength and support. Selena placed her free hand over Gitana's for a moment then moving her hand she motioned for him to walk with her. Her hand still in his.

Alain... there is far too much to tell you to answer the questions you have asked. I... He...

Shaking her head tears beginning to gather on her lashes.

It is so... I...

looking deep into his eyes she really had no idea where to begin. Just staring into his eyes her lips moving as if she wished to speak till finally words began to slip from her.

He is... He was...

Sonam

Once everyone was away from she and Frank she glared at him.

You know that rule is a bunch of crap...right... None of you are completely detached and free of getting involved in some way... Hell you keep doing this crap for her and you know it.

She tensed watching Alain and her mother walk further away from everyone. Her attention was quickly dragged back as Frank said something about getting involved was the least of anyone's worries and all of this was ending even if he had to end it.

IC: Azzan Rozen

Azzan had been watching the fire through binoculars in the concealment of his car in the fairground's parking lot, as his handiwork came to fruition. He had tried to make it so it would only burn in a controlled area. And he had been pleased at the rapid response of the fire department and police. He had watched the fire grow and burn despite the firefighters' best efforts knowing. He had set it to burn hot and violently and then fizzle out, but watching it made him feel cold.

He knew Frank cared about this carnival...it was his baby...and he respected Frank, and hoped Frank respected him back in return, but he had to maintain his cover.

He lowered the binoculars with a resigned sigh. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed his employer's number hesitating for only a second before pushing the final number. On the second ring the call was answered.

"This is Rozen," He said, "I have eyes on her."

"Yeah, here at the carnival," He nodded as the voice on the other end spoke, "De'Montreau, Selena's daughter, and that Immortal that has been helping her hide is here too."

After hearing his employer's reaction Azzan's face stiffened and his blood ran cold, "Yes, I understand. Are you certain you want this to happen? No I am not questioning your decision, sir. We have firefighters and police on the scene as well. We may not be able to escape capture. Yes, we are prepared for the consequences of that eventuality."

He sighed as his employer replied, "Yes sir, we will do it. We understand the risks."

He got out and headed for the Tahoe with the two men he had assigned to trail De'Montreau.

"I have orders," He told them, "Contingency Bravo Seven, guys."

The man at the wheel's hands tightened as he turned the engine over. Azzan walked around and climbed in the passenger side back seat. The man in the shotgun seat lifted a MP5 and handed Azzan an Uzi.

He cocked the sub-machine gun with a sigh. If he hit Selena's brat, Frank would kill him. But Azzan had to maintain his cover.

"Sorry Frank," He said in a low resigned murmur.

----------------------------------------X

"He is... He was..."

He squeezed her hand, "It's alright, Selena. Just let it go. Start at the beginning."

Motion in his peripheral vision made him wrench his gaze over and they widened as he saw the Tahoe that had tailed him from the garage roar over the parking lot and onto the grass rushing straight for them. The two windows on the passenger side lowered and he saw two gun muzzles peek out.

"Down!" He burst into action shoving Selena back and rushing to Sonam. As he wrapped her up in his arms he heard the first shots. The distance was long, and the ground uneven. Their aim had to be lousy, but you didn't really need to aim to shoot a spray of bullets at someone, and it only took one to end you-well end most people.

They fell back onto the grass his weight knocking the breath out of her. He lay atop her keeping his back between Sonam and the Tahoe as bullets flew through the air.

Frank. He, Selena, and Gitanna could take a bullet, but Frank... Alain was stuck protecting Sonam, and where he was positioned he couldn't see if Selena and Gitanna were covering him up like he was with the kiddo.

Then pain as two-no three-slugs of lead slammed into his back. one in low, close to his spine, that one he'd feel in the morning. Another slammed higher puncturing a lung and lodging against a rib, the final one hit him in the head. Just a graze, but it was the one that actually killed him this time.

It didn't matter as long as the kiddo was unhurt.

Gitana

Gitana moved with fluid grace though her point of contact with Frank he would have sworn was concrete. Knocking him to the ground she tried to lock eyes with him to keep the wild reckless old soldier sane but his eyes were closed till he turned his face from hers and rolled them over to protect and keep her down and safe and away from his eyes.

Her eyes then turned trying to seek even the briefest of direct contact with anyone in the Tahoe. She did not like doing this but she could use her ability to manipulate if she had to though it tended to cause her physical pain to do so. Her mind amped up on centuries of guilt and pain as she sought to make eye contact with those attacking the camp again hoping to share that overwhelming feeling of guilt with even one of them to end this and send them on their way or at least cause chaos.

Sonam

Her ankle burned suddenly as Alain tackled her. Something grazed her leg which was little more than enough to piss her off and her unable to do anything about it. She felt each shot that impacted Alain and then dead weight and grumbled but laid there gritting her teeth at the burning in her leg climbed.

Selena

She screamed demanding the cowards halt their attacks immediately. There was a level of panic and that decidedly royal priestess seeking to command the soldiers that she knew all to well who had sent them.

You will leave them all alone NOW! He will not like what will happen if you do not stop NOW!

She was crazed... there was something within her that had finally snapped as she dove intentionally towards the blazing weapons fire feeling at least one of the expected fatal bullets slam into her abdomen knocking her to the ground.

The jostling of his body was the first thing he acknowledged as life came back to his dead body once again. With a violent inhale of breath Alain came to in the back seat of his Bel Air. Atop him lay the dead body of Selena, and for a heart-shattering moment he forgot the last century and was transported back to Venice and he was once again the Alain De'Montreau that loved this woman unconditionally, the man who trusted her without reservation.

He wrapped his arms around her as the car shifted as Frank at the wheel took a hard left turn.

"Hey careful with her," He complained, "I've had this car ever since it was brand new off the factory line."

Beside Frank in the middle of the front seat Sat Sonam. Alain was grateful for that at least.

"You okay, Kiddo," He asked her moving carefully to sit up and not to disturb the still dead body of Selena.

Then he saw Gitana sitting in the passenger seat reaching down to tie a make-shift tourniquet on Sonam's thigh.

His face hardened as he asked again more seriously, "You okay?"

Then he turned to look Frank in the eye. He could see the old man in the rear-view mirror. "You're not the least bit taken back that a dead man is talking to you right now, are you?" His eyes narrowed as he regarded the man speculatively. "How long have you known about us?"

Frank

He first had to snap Gitana out of her attempted assault use of her powers. Seeing her study his eyes and clearly his soul he just nodded. Nam had revealed many things to him as a young man none the least of which was Immortals. He helped her carry Selena and Alain to his car with Sonam hobbling in the lead. He looked to Sully on his way out of the grounds with a nod.

He had gotten Gitana supplies to fix up Sonam before they left and waited for the other two to wake up. Hearing Alain's question he looked in the rear view at the man briefly.

They were not joking when they said you would see alot of unbelievable things in Nam Mr Kingman. I know that there are people like you Selena and Gitana that have a shall we say difficult time dying by anything save for what appears to be decapitation.

His eyes fell back on the road as they drove.

The butcher that hunts our Selena is like you as well.

He was not going to give any of them an option as he drove to the temple just on the outskirts of town. Holy ground even the butcher did not go against that... luckily.

Sonam

She growled as Gitana lifted Alain off of her then winced as she slowly was helped up. She growled a little hearing Frank point out the obvious "Its a long way from your heart kid you'll live."

She led them to the car trying to figure out how all of this will go and sighed... They would figure out about Frank and those like him. Hearing Alain she cringed.

I'm Fine...

Then the tone change...

I'm fine grazed my calf I am fine.

She looked to Frank as Alain spoke curious how Frank would play it off. Interesting tactic play off only partial knowledge... not bad.

Gitana

She knew where they were headed and was glad it would put everyone on equal footing and out of their comfort zones.

His face hardened as he asked again more seriously, "You okay?"

"I'm fine," She replied, "Grazed my calf. I am fine."

Alain nodded to her then to Gitana in appreciation for the help she was giving the kiddo.

Then he turned to look Frank in the eye. He could see the old man in the rear-view mirror. "You're not the least bit taken back that a dead man is talking to you right now, are you?" His eyes narrowed as he regarded the man speculatively. "How long have you known about us?"

"They were not joking when they said you would see alot of unbelievable things in Nam Mr Kingman," Was the old veteran's reply, "I know that there are people like you Selena and Gitana that have a shall we say difficult time dying by anything save for what appears to be decapitation."

"You've learned quite a bit," Alain nodded, "Though I shouldn't be too surprised...you being former Green Beret Special Ops. The Army may have recruited a few of you too dumb to pour piss out of a boot even with the instructions being on the heel, but Charlie made sure those didn't last more than their first month in the jungle."

"I was CIA, well freelance by then, but still what you'd call a spook, working from Hanoi during the war," He told him, "But I never forgot you guys in uniform deep in the shit."

Alain looked down to Selena still lying dead in his lap. He reached down and stroked some of that lustrous silken black hair free from her face. Her eyes were open staring up at him lifelessly.

God he still loved her.

But could he trust her?

"She was about to tell us about this mystery man behind all of this."

"The butcher that hunts our Selena is like you as well."

He looked back up to Frank, "Tell me more about what you know about this ma-"

Outside the windshield he saw trees. They came up a hill and over a bridge stretching over the river far below. The water was rushing deep and strong down there. Once over the bridge Frank turned onto a dirt road and Alain could feel deep in his quickening that they were approaching holy ground.

"Where are you taking us?"

Frank

He listened nodding here and there giving only the basic of intel he had on Immortals. It was not his place to tell Alain about Watchers. He went back to just driving as Selena began to stir wanting to get to their destination as quickly as possible just in case.

Gitana

Interjecting she glanced back to Alain and Selena.

We are going to my home an ancient Buddhist temple built here hidden many generations ago. Where all of you WILL stay for now so that Sonam can be tended to and you and our Selena may speak in peace and safety. The butcher will not bother us here... He knows better. Even he will not cross holy ground nor will even his mortal minions.

She looked over as Sonam grumbled and gave her a quickly silencing look.

Frank take the path to the plum tree grove on the right the main temple will be filled with guests at this time for the meditation ceremony.

Selena

Slowly waking she sat up realizing where they had placed her and moved back to give him his space. He had been so clear on everything being through and knew they had done this without either of them being alive in that moment to stop them.

Sorry

She curled up against the far door unsure but thinking she had felt him touch her cheek. Can't think on that now her mind was already thinking of how to get away from them and run once more to protect them all.

Outside the windshield he saw trees. They came up a hill and over a bridge stretching over the river far below. The water was rushing deep and strong down there. Once over the bridge Frank turned onto a dirt road and Alain could feel deep in his quickening that they were approaching holy ground.

"Where are you taking us?"

Frank didn't respond he kept driving, but Gitana answered for him. "We are going to my home an ancient Buddhist temple built here hidden many generations ago. Where all of you WILL stay for now so that Sonam can be tended to and you and our Selena may speak in peace and safety."

Alain quirked an eyebrow at her, "And how safe will we be even on holy ground from goons that shoot at us with police nearby?"

"The butcher will not bother us here... He knows better. Even he will not cross holy ground nor will even his mortal minions."

Alain didn't respond, anything further would be just pointless speculation.

She gave a quieting look to Sonam and told Frank to turn up ahead at a plum tree grove.

Selena stirred in his lap. Alain looked down into her eyes as they regained their focus, their spark. They dialated looking up at him, and then blinked. She rose up pushing away from him.

It hurt Alain to see Selena do that, to turn away from him.

"Selena..." He asked, "...I..."

The car stopped and Alain looked out to see a Buddhist monastery reminiscient of the Shaolin temple Sifu Yuwei had changed his life at. He had spent the best years of his life in.

The others climbed out of the Bel Air and Alain followed them.

Gitana

She helped Sonam from the Bel Air and motioned one of the monks over to them and he helped Sonam inside. Gitana then turned her attention to Frank as she reached a hand to his forehead and smiled till his tired old face mirrored the smile an unspoken concern eased as the old soldier walked away from the group and over to a log near the river grabbing a plum on his way.

You two may walk the grounds once you have changed clothes it would be better if you two were not seen with bloody clothing. Selena you know where the storerooms are that have clothing you two can change into and do not worry Sonam and Frank will be fine. We have another old veteran here who will speak with him they never miss the chance to talk when Frank is in town.

She had turned to Alain and Selena.

Alain if you would like for us to speak that will be fine too so that Selena can get settled in.

Her attention turning fully to Selena.

I know you far too well old friend you will not get far and definitely not off the grounds if you attempt to run thinking any of us distracted. Is that clear?

Selena glared at her for a moment before turning to go.

Not all of us can remain hidden here for all time Gitana that is not the way of our kind.

She looked to Alain to see if he was going to follow or not then kept going not really caring. Way too many "well meaning" people were simply extending the inevitable.

After they got out of the car Alain stood on still shaky and stiff legs. Dying took a hell of a lot out of you. He heard Gitana direct Frank and Sonam even him and Selena.

"Alain," She said, "if you would like for us to speak that will be fine too so that Selena can get settled in."

"Sure," He said watching Selena go with a leaden heart.

But he followed after her still.

"I didn't know there was a Buddhist monastery this close to the city," He told her, "I spent years that turned my life around in shaolin temple on the banks of the Yangtze."

They left the cove heading toward the peak of a hill overlooking the monastery with a solitary ancient looking oak tree atop it.

"I have a question I'd like to ask you," He said as the looked over the wooded valley the monastery occupied. "What's in this for you? You don't seem the warrior type...don't fit that mold...so why stick your neck out for Selena like this?"

Selena

She took off to go get clothes for both of them she knew he would seek answers out of Gitana and she could only hope Gitana would not reveal anything that would make him think he could take on her eternal plague. She knew where she would find Gitana The Oak tree and that lone grave stone beneath it. So there she knew she would find Alain as well. He would have to try to get answers she knew that. He had far too many questions for her that she could not answer hopefully he would not bombard Gitana with such.

Gitana

She was in a way glad he followed her instead of Selena. This would give them some space from each other and no one in the monastery would let her leave the grounds without Gitana. She stood before the tree bowing before she continued to walk.

I help because I can... Alain... you know that there are unique talents among we immortals... yes?

She turned to look at him.

The native peoples of this land would call what I do Hyoka... healer if you will. I take the darkness and pain from others and into myself so that people may heal... so that the world may heal through people healing and letting go of the darkness. I could help you as well Alain. Darkness of those painful emotions and memories and rage billow off you quite strong. I have helped our Selena many times.

As for my not fitting the warrior type... there are many centuries that separate your birth and mine young soldier... I have seen much death and war... and fought within them seeking to ignore my ability or manipulate it to manipulate my enemies for many of our kind to find a place like this means we were once like the darkness. But that is not what you really want to know now is it?

"I have a question I'd like to ask you," He said as the looked over the wooded valley the monastery occupied. "What's in this for you? You don't seem the warrior type...don't fit that mold...so why stick your neck out for Selena like this?"

"I help because I can... Alain..." She replied lookind down at a stone underneath the oak tree with a strange marking in a language he did not recognize-which was saying something since Alain had learned quite a few in his time, "You know that there are unique talents among we immortals... yes?

"I know that over the years we all learn some pretty varied and esoteric and some pretty incredible tricks," He told her, "But I take you have something more specific in mind."

She turned to look at him face to face, "The native peoples of this land would call what I do Hyoka... healer if you will."

"Hyoka," He repeated, "What kind of healing do you mean?"

"I take the darkness and pain from others and into myself so that people may heal... so that the world may heal through people healing and letting go of the darkness," She told him, "I could help you as well Alain. Darkness of those painful emotions and memories and rage billow off you quite strong."

"You did this to Selena didn't you," He asked looking back to the plumtree grove and towards the monastery...and towards Selena, "Its how she has endured all this time."

She replied, "I have helped our Selena many times."

"That still doesn't answer why you are putting your head in such danger when you live on holy ground here," He stated.

"As for my not fitting the warrior type... there are many centuries that separate your birth and mine young soldier..." She told him with a humorous glint to her eye, "I have seen much death and war... and fought within them seeking to ignore my ability or manipulate it to manipulate my enemies for many of our kind to find a place like this means we were once like the darkness. But that is not what you really want to know now is it?"

He nodded, "Every one acts so terrified of this mystery man...this butcher...not you...why?"

Gitana

She smiled at his question about her not being afraid of the butcher and shook her head.

Fear... no I fear no one. Understand what he is capable of... yes. Perhaps better than even our Selena. My ability prevents him from attempting to entrap me. That also is what angers him the most... there is something that would help him as much as her innocence but it is a double edged sword what could aid him in his brutal and venomous desires to be the last one could also make him face things... whatever they are that he does not want to let go of or face that he has done.

She glanced down to the Plum orchard and saw Frank and Gregory talking by the rivers edge and Selena slowly making her way towards the hill smirking as every possible escape route Selena looks over to there are monks or nuns conveniently working in those locations.

Now for questions I can answer better for you... what do you wish to know about our Selena from before or after you?

Selena

She had collected some clothes for Alain. A button up dress shirt of a deep night black and a pull over shirt unsure what he would want. She had changed into soft sundress with soft silvery veins a simple natural looking design in the soft black fabric. She knew a few paths that led away from the ancient monastery only to find monks and nuns meditating or tending the grounds or giving tours in those paths of escape. Sighing she resigned herself to find herself standing by the ancient oak with Gitana and Alain sure to be bombarded with questions but she would at least make sure it took her a long while to get there.

He nodded, "Every one acts so terrified of this mystery man...this butcher...not you...why?"

Gitana smiled at his question. "Fear... no I fear no one. Understand what he is capable of... yes. Perhaps better than even our Selena."

"Why hasn't he gone after you before?"

"My ability prevents him from attempting to entrap me. That also is what angers him the most... " She answered, "there is something that would help him as much as her innocence but it is a double edged sword what could aid him in his brutal and venomous desires to be the last one could also make him face things... whatever they are that he does not want to let go of or face that he has done."

"A man like this one..." He told her, "...I think its only a matter of time before he acts to remove you from her. So be careful."

She looked down to where Frank and someone was speaking among the plumtrees. Then turned to him. "Now for questions I can answer better for you... what do you wish to know about our Selena from before or after you?
"

He turned to face her. "When we were together we promised never to ask each other about our pasts. I know nothing about where she comes from where she met this man that terrorizes her now."

Gitana

Her eyes fell to the grave as he spoke.

Yes... He and I will have our last stand... and the outcome will be what it is. One will win... one will die... All I can hope for is that if I die the peace and calm this place has given me for so many many years will soften the cold cruel darkness within him.

Her eyes moved back to Alain with a smirk.

Do you mistake me for Selena to make such a comment. I am not Selena and have made no agreement with anyone. So now to end this redirect and avoidance Do you know want to know what has given her this sense of being required to protect everyone? Or anything about her past that would make her so valuable to such a being? Or simply what it is that truly makes our Selena the way she is outside of the one that plagues her?

Selena

She saw them talking and pausing one of the monks tending the grounds and asked if he would deliver the clothing to the other guest that she was feeling ill and needed to rest. The older man nodded and called over one of the nuns to take her to her daughter and watch over them. He then hurried up the hill stopping at an almost marked point and spoke.

We were asked to bring these clothes to our guest Selena was unable to deliver them herself. She spoke of feeling ill so Tsering has taken her to Sonam and will watch over them and see to them eating and getting rest.

With that he bowed again and made his exit from the hill top after leaving the shirt and pants for Alain. After that was done the older monk joined Frank and Gregory picking plums to go with Dinner that night.

He turned to face her. "When we were together we promised never to ask each other about our pasts. I know nothing about where she comes from where she met this man that terrorizes her now."

"Do you mistake me for Selena to make such a comment," She asked him with a smirk, "I am not Selena and have made no agreement with anyone."

"I mistake no one else for Selena," He snorted, "She is completely one of a kind, but my point is before it was always something for her to reveal not you or anyone else."

"So now to end this redirect and avoidance Do you know want to know what has given her this sense of being required to protect everyone," She asked him, "Or anything about her past that would make her so valuable to such a being? Or simply what it is that truly makes our Selena the way she is outside of the one that plagues her?"

He was tempted, so tempted. He looked down to the grove of plumtrees and the river flowing far below the bridge they had crossed to get here. Below there was one of the monks climbing up the hill towards them carrying a bundle of clothing. Apparently Selena had handed him the clothing to give him. Unwilling or unable to face him right now. Alain chewed his lips with mixed feelings over it. It was just and fair for her to suffer and wonder as he had suffered and wondered-some of her own medicine, but also so hard not to rush to her and comfort her-soothe her worries and pains as he would've done without hesitation before that morning in Venice.

He looked towards Gitana. "I'm going to go clean up and change. Walk with me. I'd like to hear about where and when you met Selena."

Gitana

She shook her head and looked to the monk as he left calling to him.

Make sure all exits are conveniently blocked by people I know what she is up to.

Turning back to the gravestone she sighed before turning to Alain.

Yes lets walk

Turning she walked from the area seeming for a few moments so very old before resetting herself to deal with her duties there at the monastery.

When and where I met our Selena...Our dear priestess had a fairly good thing going for a time in Egypt. She was believed blessed of Khonsu... that death feared angering him more than it embraced claiming her. Then as with all kingdoms darkness slithered its way over the land. Bringing war and death to many little nations of people that called the lands around Egypt home or lingered within its borders. I could not get to where I knew she was. I was...needed elsewhere. It is unfortunate but I do believe that is the time their paths first crossed. I ran across her again... in Rome and I know she went back to Egypt for a time as well a few jaunts into Europe. It is strange though I some times can not control what I see when I am removing the darkness and pain. Our priestess due to who seemed to have laid claim to her as their mortal child if you will... was "taught" to protect those she watched over and cared for. That the protection of her people was the most important. Ingrained so deeply I could never undo its control over her heart mind and soul.

She shook her head.

I even saw that at some time in the beginning of their association... this infernal butcher... was... far less monstrous than he is now.

She motioned for him to walk into one of the side doors.

There are spare rooms on the right side of the corridor.

He looked towards Gitana. "I'm going to go clean up and change. Walk with me. I'd like to hear about where and when you met Selena."

Gitana looked back down towards the gravestone and then back to him before nodding, "Yes lets walk."

As they left Alain had slipped back into the Intelligence operative mode. He observed everything, analyzed everything as they walked down the hill towards the redstoned buildings of this Buddhist temple. That included the woman walking beside him. For a moment she seemed old, unfathomably so, and he wondered just how old she was. There weren't many immortals more than fifteen hundred years old out there-eventually you meet the other immortal that will take your head-unless your lucky that is. So far he'd been lucky, but Alain knew that sort of luck was rare and fickle, and the longer you lived the more chance the other immortals you faced off against would be luckier than you.

There were rumors of some of them that were old...very very old. Some that lived during the dawning of human civilization and still walked among them now in its modern incarnations. As he watched her he could see the weight of all those millennia upon Gitana's shoulders, weighing her down, but then she inhaled deep and exhaled a cleansing breath straightening as that weight shed from her.

"When and where I met our Selena..." She said thoughtfully walking back into the distant past in her memories, "...Our dear priestess had a fairly good thing going for a time in Egypt. She was believed blessed of Khonsu... that death feared angering him more than it embraced claiming her."

"Khonsu...wait" He said looking at her in surprise, "I knew she came from Egypt, but you're talking about ancient Egypt-the bronze age at least, but Selena isn't that old...is she? Or you for that matter?"

"Then as with all kingdoms darkness slithered its way over the land. Bringing war and death to many little nations of people that called the lands around Egypt home or lingered within its borders." Undeterred she continued as they reached the bottom of the hill and stepped foot on the path to the main monastery building, "I could not get to where I knew she was. I was...needed elsewhere. It is unfortunate but I do believe that is the time their paths first crossed."

He rolled his eyes...what was with women...no matter how many years they saw they avoided telling someone how many they had actually seen, but her words at the end caught his attention. "Him...the mystery man...so he'd be that old as well?"

"I ran across her again... in Rome and I know she went back to Egypt for a time as well a few jaunts into Europe. It is strange though I some times can not control what I see when I am removing the darkness and pain," She added, "Our priestess due to who seemed to have laid claim to her as their mortal child if you will... was "taught" to protect those she watched over and cared for. That the protection of her people was the most important. Ingrained so deeply I could never undo its control over her heart mind and soul."

He nodded, "That sounds like her...always so worried about everyone else first above her own safety. It's one of the reasons I fell in love with her before."

She shook her head, "I even saw that at some time in the beginning of their association... this infernal butcher... was... far less monstrous than he is now."

"So you actually have never met this man..." He asked, "...Is that what you're saying?"

They had reached the main building of the monastery and Gitana gestured to one of the rough oak doors to the side of the building. "There are spare rooms on the right side of the corridor."

He nodded. He could take the hint. Gitana did not want to tell him any more, and he could accept that...she had told him plenty already. "I understand." He shrugged his head to back towards the car. "You should go look for her now. I'd go too, but our feelings for eachother are still confused and too painful...I'd only hinder your efforts to talk her back."

Last edited:
Gitana

She smiled nodding to him as he moved to the door.

We can talk later as I said everyone will be remaining here for a while. For now I have other matters to attend to When you are changed simply flag down one of the monks or nuns and they can guide you to the dining hall or the library or perhaps give you a tour we do have training facilities and a meditation hall.

With that she turned to go and went to find the two that would be in the biggest hurry to escape. As she walked along she did however withdraw a small cell phone from her clothes and placed a quick call.

If they move against the carnival again... you know how to contact me. Yes we are long over due for plum tea and a talk about the ancient past Sully. Farewell my friend.

Making her way to the dining hall she sat down across from the two of them.

I hope there are not joint plans of fleeing. Sonam she will not aid you in leaving here and you would be quite foolish to believe her if she said she would so you would help her flee this place of peace. He will not go against the rule of holy ground. He knows far better than to do that.

Selena

She sat whispering with Sonam who looked skeptical but interested in what she was saying. She looked up when Gitana sat down and began her however brief sermon and Sonam sighed knowing she was right. Selena however turned the table on her.

Yes... it seems at time he does know not to go against that rule... that was not a problem for him in the beginning of his darkness... madness... single minded desire to be the only one... yet after a strange encounter to say the least with you he will not touch Holy ground Why is that Gitana?

Sonam raised a brow looking between the two of them curious now.

IC: alain De'Montreau

He nodded. He could take the hint. Gitana did not want to tell him any more, and he could accept that...she had told him plenty already. "I understand." He shrugged his head to back towards the car. "You should go look for her now. I'd go too, but our feelings for eachother are still confused and too painful...I'd only hinder your efforts to talk her back."

Alain went to the room Gitana had indicated would be his and washed up at a side table with an antique wash basin. It had been a century since he last had to use one, but it was like riding a bicycle, it all came back to him. Refreshed he dressed in the clothes Selena had selected for him. A blast from the past-that. Selena had always had excellent fashion sense.

He left the monastery next and found Frank and one of the monks on the river bank. "Mind if I sit with you?" He sat down on a fallen log beside Frank. "Something about you just doesn't add up. I haven't figured out what yet, but I'm working on it. Care to shed some light on that?"

----------------------X

IC: Mac

Lifting the phone up Mac tried his number again and after it went to voicemail again, he shoved the damned thing back in his pocket. Whatever happened to Frank, he either had his phone off or was somewhere with no cell service. This was bad. He had no idea where Alain was, and there was some sort of fire and shootout at Frank's Carnival.

He was at the garage and the boys were busy working on the roadster unaware just how bad it was for Mac. Alain wasn't upstairs in his apartment, Selena's adopted daughter was gone too, there were no trace of Selena, or that Gitana either. And no Frank and no answers. Mac was sick with worry. He had spent two and half decades as Alain's watcher and he had gotten pretty much attached, damn it.

He headed to the alley in behind the garage. He pulled out his phone and dialed a guy he knew in the coroner's office. Maybe he could find out if any headless corpses were brought in today.

Back