I received a very nice comment

DarkCosmos

Sex Nerd
I wanted to post this for any writers who might need to hear it. When I first started uploading my story Organism to Literotica I received some pretty heavy critiques. Now, I want to be clear, just about every legitimate critique I got was just that, legitimate. It wasn't people shitting on my work just for the sake of making me second guess myself. These were good, solid critiques. "You're sticking too close to the Alien storyline." "Your characters need work." "It takes too long to get to the smut." Things of that nature.

I'm no stranger to criticism of my writing. After doing fantasy works and posting fanfiction for almost seven years now, I like to think I've got a pretty thick skin when it comes to criticism. I've always believed that it's only through feedback and critiques that we hone our craft as writers. But with that said, I'm not too proud to admit that it still, on occasion, can get to me. Especially when it's the same critique over and over again, I just find myself thinking things like "Man, did I seriously flop on this idea that bad?"

Yesterday, I received a comment on the final chapter of my writing that was really touching.

I won't post the full thing because it's pretty long, but to summarize, this random anonymous left a paragraph-long comment on my work saying how much he enjoyed it and that I was the best writer he'd ever found on this site. At one point he even called me a genius. (Again, this was all his words, not mine.)

Now, the reason for me posting this is not to brag or be like "Ha ha, I told you so." or anything like that, I promise. I still fully acknowledge my weaknesses as a writer, especially when it comes to erotica, and will seek to improve upon them. I appreciate the harsh critiques as well as the praise. But I will say, it does feel exceptionally good to have that sort of validation. And even if Organism doesn't do as well as I had hoped, that one comment alone made writing the darn thing and posting it worth it, in my opinion.

The point I'm trying to make here is that your work can be less than perfect, but it will still be perfect to someone out there. We talk all the time about finding your audience, and I wholeheartedly believe in that philosophy. So if you're one of those writers out there who's struggling because the criticism is getting to you, just remember, one reader's garbage may be another reader's treasure. And even just inspiring one other person out there to try and improve their craft the way I seem to have done is a great win, in my opinion. Even if the writing itself seems less than phenomenal.

TLDR: don't quit just because the critics are harsh. There's someone out there who is going to absolutely love your work. And they deserve to read it.

I had a regular anon who acted like an English teacher.
Shredding my work to bits.
I've taken on their comments.
They've either got bored of my stories or I listened enough that they are happy just to ignore me.
Either way the English critics have gone away to leave me with šŸ¤....
Hey ho.

I prefer the comments that feel more realistic, comments that have that ring of a true opinion, rather than a praise-payment for the story you have given them. Some readers seem to think we want that exaggerated praise the most. I feel I am talking for the most of us here when I say that we don't, as good as that exaggerated praise feels sometimes.
I would also like to expand on what LC said about work. Every story we put out takes talent, intellectual work, tedious checking and rechecking, frustration, rethinking and rewriting, and so on... It is hard to measure all that work and effort properly, so I will just focus on the time invested. I will give a rough estimate based on my own experience, even though I could be way off with it. When you include thinking about ideas, plot points, character development, scenes and so on, together with actual writing and then correcting, rewriting, editing, rechecking, adding some fine touches and so on... I would say that it takes about...hmmm, let's say an hour for 300 words. As I said, it is really a rough estimate, and I could be way off, but I am going with it anyway.
So for example, my latest chapter has 30k words and it took about 100 working hours to write that stuff. Lets say I wrote it in 20 working days, putting 5 hours of actual work each of those days. I mean when you take weekends into account , this isn't less than what many people do as their actual paying job in a month. So basically, talent aside, I have just given the readers my month's pay in a way. When I was just a reader I must admit I never understood the effort and the time it takes to create a story. I am a hundred times more appreciative now than I used to be.

Aw, it's nice to get such a comment. Props to that anon.

I have barely received ONE comment, though it was pretty decent.

I received a very nice comment recently: a single line saying 'Gag me with a spoon'.

Being occasionally partial to a little gag-play, I thought this a wonderful suggestion and I hope to meet up with that particular poster and perform exactly that act.

The point I'm trying to make here is that your work can be less than perfect, but it will still be perfect to someone out there. We talk all the time about finding your audience, and I wholeheartedly believe in that philosophy. So if you're one of those writers out there who's struggling because the criticism is getting to you, just remember, one reader's garbage may be another reader's treasure. And even just inspiring one other person out there to try and improve their craft the way I seem to have done is a great win, in my opinion. Even if the writing itself seems less than phenomenal.

TLDR: don't quit just because the critics are harsh. There's someone out there who is going to absolutely love your work. And they deserve to read it.

This is something I keep forgetting and keep needing to re-learn. Yeah, I'm not going to win a Nobel, I have plenty of flaws as a writer. But sometimes my story is going to be just what that reader needed.

Because it's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more.

Between that and the "bring a friend" bit, he was so good in that movie. (And all the others, really.)

Congrats. Absolutely nothing wrong with taking a little pride in the fact that something you worked so hard on actually connected with someone. Especially when sometimes, we as writers see only the flaws in it.

One of the hardest stories I ever wrote here (The White Room) took me ages to write and edit, and when I finally posted it, I still felt it came up short.

To my surprise, it recieved tons of high praise in comments, which especially surprised me since its a Sci fi story.

This is an excerpt from one:

"by Anonymous user on 12/11/2022
Beautiful. One of my favourite stories on the site... no, one of my favourite stories period! "

Now, I KNOW there's way better stories by way better writers on Lit.

But to be this guy's "favorite story, period?" I'm sure he was exaggerating, but I don't care lol.

Makes it all worth the effort.

Last edited:
I wanted to post this for any writers who might need to hear it. When I first started uploading my story Organism to Literotica I received some pretty heavy critiques. Now, I want to be clear, just about every legitimate critique I got was just that, legitimate. It wasn't people shitting on my work just for the sake of making me second guess myself. These were good, solid critiques. "You're sticking too close to the Alien storyline." "Your characters need work." "It takes too long to get to the smut." Things of that nature.

I'm no stranger to criticism of my writing. After doing fantasy works and posting fanfiction for almost seven years now, I like to think I've got a pretty thick skin when it comes to criticism. I've always believed that it's only through feedback and critiques that we hone our craft as writers. But with that said, I'm not too proud to admit that it still, on occasion, can get to me. Especially when it's the same critique over and over again, I just find myself thinking things like "Man, did I seriously flop on this idea that bad?"

Yesterday, I received a comment on the final chapter of my writing that was really touching.

I won't post the full thing because it's pretty long, but to summarize, this random anonymous left a paragraph-long comment on my work saying how much he enjoyed it and that I was the best writer he'd ever found on this site. At one point he even called me a genius. (Again, this was all his words, not mine.)

Now, the reason for me posting this is not to brag or be like "Ha ha, I told you so." or anything like that, I promise. I still fully acknowledge my weaknesses as a writer, especially when it comes to erotica, and will seek to improve upon them. I appreciate the harsh critiques as well as the praise. But I will say, it does feel exceptionally good to have that sort of validation. And even if Organism doesn't do as well as I had hoped, that one comment alone made writing the darn thing and posting it worth it, in my opinion.

Itā€™s a great feeling and it lifts your day.

I comment LOADS on stories I like because I know how it feels to be appreciated for your work.

Also, it takes very little time to say something nice so a big paragraph is always welcome.

The comments section can make or break your spirit as a writer. Iā€™ve been fortunate to have mostly positive comments on my work, but am not a stranger to a negative comment. Some have been justified, and I think have made my work better. Others definitely just hurt.

Be careful how you comment out there!

I was the best writer he'd ever found on this site. At one point he even called me a genius. (Again, this was all his words, not mine.)
Posts like this make me wish that more people posting here put a link to their submissions in their sig line. Going through the author search is awkward. I take that anon comment as a worthwhile recommendation, so I have Organism tabbed.

The point I'm trying to make here is that your work can be less than perfect, but it will still be perfect to someone out there.
I'd like to highlight here that the opposite is true too. Even if your work is perfect - you've poured your heart and soul into it (and it shows), you've got the plot, structure and pacing all spot-on, and you've caught every single spelling and grammar oopsie - even then, there will be someone who doesn't like it.

So whenever your rating takes a hit because someone dropped a 1, 2 or 3 on it, that doesn't necessarily mean your story is bad. It doesn't make the reader's opinion less valid. It doesn't mean someone is out to steal your red H.

It just means that one person didn't like your story. One person, out of hundreds, thousands, even tens of thousands of readers.

(And even so, it still hurts.)

Back