I have 1,213 followers! I'm excited!

The one correlation I do see is 1 favorite for every thousand views. There's still a lot of variance, but eyeballing it, it looks like they cluster rather evenly around that. Small sample size, though, I only have 14 submissions.

This is reallly interesting. I love the idea of being able to abstract "success" down to a few calculable ratios. 11/14 "H" is nice, but I've found that H's don't actually mean that much. (Except maybe the one in LW ).
Favourites are often book marks so I don't pay much attention to them. They track lower than my Votes ratio, which is only one per cent anyway, so Faves for me are down in the noise, meaningless.

My stats are over ten years (in May), with 120 chapters/stories in (at last count) 18 categories, so that's a wide spread. The only categories that stand away from the rest are BDSM and Group, both of which are tumbleweed categories for me, they're noticeably less responsive.

Red Hs pull in readers, it's that simple. Eighty per cent of my stories have a Red H, and the stories at top of the table increase their view count at a faster rate than the bottom, no matter what the age of the story.

Since these kinds of things tend to follow an exponential curve with a very long tail, you might expect there to be double that 280 between the bottom of that list and you. And that's a guess not based on any real statistical math. So you might be ranked around 840th.

Maybe double that number to get to authors with 600 followers, so 1680th. Double it again, then again, and I'm somewhere around 7000th.
Heck, it's cool to think that I might be in the top 1000. I wonder how many authors there might be total? Also, it would be interesting to know my rank adjusted for number of stories written. Could be a bunch of interesting stats... The other thing that occurs to me is that if I want to boost my rank, I should probably decide on some other categories to write in. Hmmm... Tough choice. I definitely do have a natural favorite!! :LOL:

Just curious: how active are they? My experience is that most followers don't seem to vote or comment very much. The number of such things is far below the total number of followers. Maybe other people have had a different experience?
Not sure how to summarize how active they are. Seems like some of my stories get a good number of "hearts" and comments. Someone else mentioned "adds to lists." Not sure where to see that count after a story is first published. I don't see it on my "works" page as far as I can tell.

Not sure how to summarize how active they are. Seems like some of my stories get a good number of "hearts" and comments. Someone else mentioned "adds to lists." Not sure where to see that count after a story is first published. I don't see it on my "works" page as far as I can tell.
I don't think there is info about "add to lists" but maybe I'm wrong. You can compare the number of followers to the number of votes and comments to get an idea of how active they are. I have 158 followers (only took six years!) and on a series I released between November and this January, I got 12, seven, six, and finally two votes. No comments on the four chapters. Their attention seems to be somewhere else.

P.S.: I'll be releasing my 125th submission next week, so it's not like I haven't been around.

Tough choice. I definitely do have a natural favorite!!
Yeah, me too, but I'm trying to broaden my horizons. The series I have is all in one category, though most of the chapters didn't really fit it after the first. As I continue, Im going to put each chapter in whatever category it fits.

Congrats. I've been at this almost two years or so, still have yet to break 1k followers 🙃.

All of the stats data is visible from your Control Panel - go to the drop-downs on the left, Works.

Normally, I'd just say congratulations, but, no, this time I gotta point out that you basically posted a new story every day for the first three weeks in February and leave the words 'victory through ubiquity' hanging there.
Buzz kill

Favourites are often book marks so I don't pay much attention to them. They track lower than my Votes ratio, which is only one per cent anyway, so Faves for me are down in the noise, meaningless.

My stats are over ten years (in May), with 120 chapters/stories in (at last count) 18 categories, so that's a wide spread. The only categories that stand away from the rest are BDSM and Group, both of which are tumbleweed categories for me, they're noticeably less responsive.

Red Hs pull in readers, it's that simple. Eighty per cent of my stories have a Red H, and the stories at top of the table increase their view count at a faster rate than the bottom, no matter what the age of the story.
Do you have any little secrets that you keep in mind that you think help your stories get high ratings? I think sometimes I polarize folks by including gay or bi content in the mix of a story--and it pisses off some of the insecure fellows, hurting my ratings from what they might otherwise be.

Do you have any little secrets that you keep in mind that you think help your stories get high ratings? I think sometimes I polarize folks by including gay or bi content in the mix of a story--and it pisses off some of the insecure fellows, hurting my ratings from what they might otherwise be.
I don't care about readers' squicks, nor do I cater for them - except in one case where I felt sorry for them, and posted a squick warning in the chapter before, shock horror, incest between son and dad. Apparently, even the real men of Erotic Horror can't handle that. Who knew!

I have one story where I deliberately fucked with reader's expectations. In my Mickey Spillane tribute story, I wrote one of the key sex scenes as man on man, just to see the reaction. I reckon it cost the story maybe 0.30, score wise, but only one comment saying, "I didn't like that so much." That reader still gave the story a five.

When it Safe to Die

So my little secret? Write stories that really capture readers, and they'll go along with most things.

Actually, I don't the limit of new favorited author pages. The old most favorited author page had a 250 limit. It was 5 tabs, each tab with 50 authors. It was only all-time. I've not the mouse-clicking to see if the new most favorited author pages have a 250 limit.
The number for top followed and favorited authors changed from 250 to 280 a few years ago. On the top followed list it can be sorted by 7 days, 30 days, or All-time. The top favorited author list is an All-time list that contains the top 280 overall or it can be sorted by category. Note: Lit doesn’t update this list often.
Heck, it's cool to think that I might be in the top 1000. I wonder how many authors there might be total? Also, it would be interesting to know my rank adjusted for number of stories written. Could be a bunch of interesting stats... The other thing that occurs to me is that if I want to boost my rank, I should probably decide on some other categories to write in. Hmmm... Tough choice. I definitely do have a natural favorite!! :LOL:
I read somewhere it’s estimated that over 50,000 authors have published stories on Literotica in its 25+ year history. It’s humbling to be in the top 2500…1000…280…

Last edited:
Hi fellow Authors! I'm excited! After a productive twelve months or so, I've reached 42 stories--and a whopping 1,213 followers. I'm excited to have so many followers! I would love to know how that ranks me, but it looks like the top authors list stops at about 280 top authors, with the lowest follower count being a little over double mine. Can anyone--maybe an admin reads this??--help me out on this question? Thank you!!
Me too (am excited, that is) :) I have 10 😜 Baby steps, amirite? :LOL:

Congrats btw. To imagine that over a thousand people would be looking forward to see what I post next is a frightening and humbling thought.

Last edited:
Normally, I'd just say congratulations, but, no, this time I gotta point out that you basically posted a new story every day for the first three weeks in February and leave the words 'victory through ubiquity' hanging there.
Thanks for taking the time to say that.

Back