I don't have kinks or fetishes

ElectricBlue

Connoisseur
I don't seem to have kinks or fetishes, but on occasion, curiosities. Does this make me "normal"?

If I did have kinks, how would I know, if I don't know what "normal" is?

Whereabouts on the bell curve are we all, I wonder? I know, based on various psych tests I've done, that in some characteristics, I'm a one-percenter, but in other attributes, I'm on the usual bell-curve.

Thoughts?

Thought...you help maintain the balance for people like me with too many.

I'm like Danny Devito in War of the Roses when Kathleen Turner puts her foot in his crotch

"I haven't been into feet in years."

Then again my issue is I never lose a fetish just gain new ones.:eek:

Normal is using a feather during sex. A fetish would be using the whole chicken. How that would work I'm not sure but someone has and does on a regular basis. People are weird that way.

Normal is way over rated, IMHO anyway.

Normal is just a label society hangs on us to make us feel included (or excluded). Normal is just a state of mind.

What seems normal to a community of plain-speaking, hard-working, conservatively-dressed Amish would seem exceedingly abnormal and soul-crushing to a group of sci-fi fanatics binge watching every Marvel superhero movie one right after the other and ingesting legally-questionable stimulants to stay awake for several days straight.

I tend to reject labels like "normal".

Are you normal? It depends on who you ask.

I tend not ask.

You are scaring me putting normal and no fetishes in the same sentence. I don’t have any either, but I seem to be a fetish in someone else’s eyes being a transvestite
🌹Kant👠👠👠

i don't consider myself to have kinks or fetishes, either. but, on the other hand, i've had an extensive and sometimes exotic sexual history. maybe the ability to seek gratification precludes a tendency to fetishize?

Worrying about being normal is not a good thing to do. It might be a normal thing to do, but it's not a good thing to do. Appreciate the things you enjoy, and ignore what other people might call it or think about it.

I'm not sure what counts as a kink or fetish. Lots of things turn me on or interest me. Are they "kinks"? I don't care what people call them. They are what they are. I'm not sure how one would create a bell curve based on my interests.

Normal is a just a statistical mean. It's a fiction, and it's not something to aspire to.

Some years ago, I took on a major writing project for an international management consultancy. About halfway through the project, the director of psychological services asked if I would do the bank of tests that they used to assess potential new recruits to the consultancy. Hell, why not?

The tests took several hours and, the following day, the psych services woman met me for a debrief. She began by stressing that there is really no such thing as normal or correct. And then she said: 'But I have to say that you are certainly different.'

Personally, I thought that it was 'the others' who were different. :)

Worrying about being normal is not a good thing to do. It might be a normal thing to do, but it's not a good thing to do. Appreciate the things you enjoy, and ignore what other people might call it or think about it.

I'm not sure what counts as a kink or fetish. Lots of things turn me on or interest me. Are they "kinks"? I don't care what people call them. They are what they are. I'm not sure how one would create a bell curve based on my interests.

Normal is a just a statistical mean. It's a fiction, and it's not something to aspire to.

You know me well enough by now to note the " " around "normal" - we both know there ain't no such thing; and the notion of being considered even remotely the same as any of you lot would have me running for the hills, the Tasmanian hills, where everyone's your sister.

What sat behind the post though, was a recent encounter, stopped before it started, where someone had a kink, a very deep and, fair to say, a dark one. And it got me thinking, what happens to a person's sexuality where they end up in a place where they not only want that kink to get off, but they actually need it. Especially when it seems (to me looking in) to be a bleak and depressing place, in there with it towering over them, taking away their life like a drug.

It's not the first time I've encountered it, and every time there's been a soul destroying sadness at the heart of it, a loveless nothing with everything taken. And I come away thinking, if that's what it's like for other people, thank god I'm not like them.

I'm a pretty astute reader of people (I've been doing it all my life) and I'm rarely surprised, not any more, but sometimes, just sometimes, the world goes black.

My cure is to write about light; thank god my Geek Day thing is full of it.

The tests took several hours and, the following day, the psych services woman met me for a debrief. She began by stressing that there is really no such thing as normal or correct. And then she said: 'But I have to say that you are certainly different.'

Personally, I thought that it was 'the others' who were different. :)

Sam, the more you say stuff like this, the more you remind me of me. You're a like mind I don't mind being like.

I agree, it's the other 99 people in the room who need looking after. Professionally, by people in white coats, with a plentiful supply of coats with long arms that tie around the back...

Maybe it's a can't-see-the-forest-through-all-the-trees kind of thing, but don't we all have a bit of a kink for written erotica here? It might not be all that strange or exotic, but I'm pretty sure it's not all that common. At least not among men.

If a late night talk show host was to walk down the street and ask men to name their favorite erotic author, how many guys do you think would have one? I don't think many would. If you ask the question in the AH or the forum in general, having a favorite erotic author would seem like the most normal thing in the world. Most of us have a list.

So cheer up, EB! You've got a kink.

*shudder*

h0F8F7BDC

Sam, the more you say stuff like this, the more you remind me of me. You're a like mind I don't mind being like.

I agree, it's the other 99 people in the room who need looking after. Professionally, by people in white coats, with a plentiful supply of coats with long arms that tie around the back...

You realise if 99% of us need looking after, the only ones who can do that are the 1% who don't?

Based on what I read here,
having incest fantasies is normal.

You realise if 99% of us need looking after, the only ones who can do that are the 1% who don't?

Good god no. You can sort your own problems out. There must be someone in the 99 people who's got half a clue. That's all you need, when the rest of them are clueless ;).

Besides, we established my empathy factor the other day, remember.

Anyway, you'll be fine. You're one in a million. *Cough*

Back