I am not a writer

ed_53

Property for Others
I have an idea for a story, but I am not a writer. Can I offer it to someone else?

Feel free to put it here - someone may pick it up - but I think most will be too absorbed in their own personal works at the moment.

The writer inside me feels compelled to tell you anyone can write, and that it's a wonderful experience: why not open a blank document and see where the idea takes you?

(of course the writer inside me can't understand why others wouldn't want to write, but maybe you don't and that's ok)

I think a lot of writers start out because they have an idea they'd like to see written. You're a writer as soon as you start writing it. If you don't have any interest in writing, fair enough. I don't see the harm in offering up your ideas to others. But I, for one, have plenty of those. Too many, really.

If you note your idea, maybe writers here will be able to give you thirty-six versions of the story already written and available here. *smile*

There’s a story idea forum where you can post it. Also some people do commissions, you could check the bios of authors you like to see if they do. If you’re prepared to pay, you’ll most likely find someone to write it sooner or later.

I have a great idea for a story that I would like to read, but I'm too lazy to write it myself. Someone else should write it for me - for free.

All of the stories that I write are stories that I think should be written, so I roll up my sleeves and I make them happen. It's a lot of fucking work. I just wrote 12k words and submitted a couple of days ago. From brainstorming to plot noting, to drafting and editing, to revisions and beta feedback and more editing, and final proofing, and even fussing over the best ten tags, this took me probably six whole weeks! I can't count the hours that I put into this, staying up until past dawn a few times even though my eyes are tired because I know that my brain won't stop the ideas anyways and I won't sleep. Being hungry but not wanting to stop and break rhythm to cook, so I grab a big back of chips and dip them in hummus for dinner. Getting snowed in because I'm editing while I should be shoveling. The neighbors think I'm fuckin' weird because they haven't seen me in days. All for just a 12k short! Novels take months.

So I see this thread with one lazy line that says nothing about the actual idea, yet expects a writer like me to come rushing up all ears to hear this fucking amazing idea that I should be so honored to be the one to bring forth to the world.

Write it yourself or put up a commission.

My first story was an idea I wanted to see written. I thought of contacting a couple regular writers on the site, but as much as I thought they would write the story better than I could if they agreed to do it, it would no longer be my idea. I decided to go ahead and write it myself, and while it is full of faults and areas that could use some improvement, it is MY story and I’m proud I took the time to write it and that I was brave enough to publish it where anyone could read it.

I encourage you to do the same.

It's a free site for readers, and you're free to play...have a go writing up your own idea. Even though you are obviously unsure, you might enjoy it. If there are a few errors or whatever, don't sweat it. You're giving the readers your work for free...give it a go. Or I'll write it for you for a hundred bucks, USD. 😉

I have an idea for a story, but I am not a writer. Can I offer it to someone else?
This isn’t really a compelling advertisement for your product, is it?

Try telling us what your idea is and why it’s so remarkable that we will be fighting each other (not that we don’t do that anyway) to be the one chosen.

Emily

Not everybody is a writer. It is hard work but ideas are what people write about. Irving Berlin could barely play music but he took his idea for tunes to musicians and told them what he wanted. "White Christmas" a song written by a Jew is the most played and recorded song in all of history. Not bad at all for essentially a non-musician!

You are not a writer yet... but no one starts as a writer who knows what they are doing.

You need to write it yourself and you will become a writer. And you can post a thread 'what I wrote and why'.

He has posted it there but didn't express his wants well. He seemed to get upset when someone offered another viewpoint, which is what we do there.
I know I’ll get in trouble (what’s new?) but some kinda out there ideas on that forum. And yes its me saying that…

Emily

I'd say summarize the story idea and post it in the Story Ideas forum. That's what it's for.

This isn’t really a compelling advertisement for your product, is it?

Try telling us what your idea is and why it’s so remarkable that we will be fighting each other (not that we don’t do that anyway) to be the one chosen.

Emily
i wasn't trying to get anyone to fight over anything. i was looking for nice person to advise. Although you did give some helpful information i think this is as much help you can be to me. Thank you for the advise you gave.

Feel free to put it here - someone may pick it up - but I think most will be too absorbed in their own personal works at the moment.

The writer inside me feels compelled to tell you anyone can write, and that it's a wonderful experience: why not open a blank document and see where the idea takes you?

(of course the writer inside me can't understand why others wouldn't want to write, but maybe you don't and that's ok)
Thank you :)

i wasn't trying to get anyone to fight over anything. i was looking for nice person to advise. Although you did give some helpful information i think this is as much help you can be to me. Thank you for the advise you gave.
The comment about fighting was a [bad] joke, hun 😊

Emily

Sorry, not having a good day. i do hope you can forgive me.
Hey, having a bad day is the price of being human. Anyway, I don't think any of us were born writers. You can look for suggestions from others on Story Ideas, but in the end there is nothing quite like doing it yourself. And there is nothing quite like having others read the result. Lit is a good place to try it out.

Back