How to get rid of musty smell in clothes.

Hard_Rom

Northumbrian Skald
Cold weather on the way. Dug out some winter long underwear and shirts. They have a musty smell.

What's the best way to get rid of it?

Thanks

Cold weather on the way. Dug out some winter long underwear and shirts. They have a musty smell.

Thanks

I assume you've tried washing them. If you have, then throw them in a bag and febreze them. You could also use those scented fabric softener sheets in the dryer after washing them.

If you haven't washed them, then you know.. wash them. 😵😵😵

I'd have some excellent advice to give you, HardRom, but you have me on that famous iggy list of yours.

Derp! Your loss.

I assume you've tried washing them. If you have, then throw them in a bag and febreze them. You could also use those scented fabric softener sheets in the dryer after washing them.

If you haven't washed them, then you know.. wash them. 😵😵😵

Yes, they were washed.

Did some looking up.

I wash in cold water. Probably need to use hot water. Then dump a cup of vinegar in during rinse cycle.

Scenting does not kill the mold spores that cause the smell.

Think I will try a hot wash and vinegar rinse.

Hang them in your garderobe (or outside privy if you don't own a castle).

That gives them an interesting scent and keeps the moths away.

Yes, they were washed.

Did some looking up.

I wash in cold water. Probably need to use hot water. Then dump a cup of vinegar in during rinse cycle.

Scenting does not kill the mold spores that cause the smell.

Think I will try a hot wash and vinegar rinse.

Yeah, I was going to suggest vinegar, but I didn't realize it was mold that you were dealing with.

Yeah, I was going to suggest vinegar, but I didn't realize it was mold that you were dealing with.

I believe that is what causes the musty smell. You don't need stains and mold growths to get the smell.

Supposedly a simple wash in hot water and then hung in the sun to dry does it. UV kills the spores.

I believe that is what causes the musty smell. You don't need stains and mold growths to get the smell.

Supposedly a simple wash in hot water and then hung in the sun to dry does it. UV kills the spores.

Ya, sorry! I am glad you figured it out though. ✨The more you know, I guess. 🌈🌈✨✨ Good to know about the whole hanging it out in the sun thing; although I am looking outside right now.. I don't think hanging clothes outside would help much, at least around here.

Thanks
Hang them out in the sun. Not the cloudy day sun, but a really good sunny day sun. Molds, mustiness etc will go away in a few hours. Remember to turn the clothes inside out and dust it occasionally throughout the day.

Thanks

Wash them on gentle cycle with a fourth of a cup of baking soda.

Back