HPIM3029.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM3030.jpg
    HPIM3030.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 15
  • HPIM3031.jpg
    HPIM3031.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 13
our garden has gone mad this year we have had loads of chilli's, red peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes, beetroot, carrots, beans, onions, garlic and the flowers we planted all did there job too

having good success earlier in the year I decided to give some things a go I had failed with in previous years and they all survived and rocketed too it must of just been a good year all round

sadly here in England the weather is starting to turn and everything is starting to look a bit scraggly but im already planning for next year got a ton of spring bulbs planted in pots ready to bring out when they are in flower and dot around the place

pip

I make compost piles everywhere. Theyre simple to do. All you need is a pile of stuff and some sand. Leaves, clippings, weeds, vines, discarded plants, whatever! Pile it up and cover with sand or dirt or clean fill. And after 60-90 days of cooking in the Sun you'll have a few 100 pounds of compost.

Its a nifty way to recycle crap, especially sterile sand.

Home is awesome and can have good time SEX in this place I believe

someone who mentioned earwigs earlier the only thing I've heard of that work was using an upturned plant pot stuffed with straw on a cane amongst the plants they crawl into this in the night and in the day you can go and empty them and maybe dump them in next doors garden lol :p

pip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m88A0PJvWw

THE GUAVAS ARE CHANGING COLOR AND HAVE A PLEASANT AROMA, SO THEYRE ALMOST READY TO HARVEST. MAYBE NEXT WEEKEND WE'LL MAKE GUAVA JELLY. GUAVAS TASTE, TO ME, LIKE A BLEND OF PEAR AND SOMETHING ELSE, NOT SURE WHAT EXACTLY. TART AND SWEET.

Jimbo's Guava Salad

Attachments

• HPIM3034.jpg
    HPIM3034.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 10
FALL GARDEN: Cauliflower, cukes, tomatoes, broccoli, and cabbages

Attachments

• HPIM3035.jpg
    HPIM3035.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM3036.jpg
    HPIM3036.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM3037.jpg
    HPIM3037.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM3038.jpg
    HPIM3038.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM3039.jpg
    HPIM3039.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 6
I've never tasted a guava. Not something we get here at all. You can sometimes get juices that have guava, but I'm sure it's not the same. I saw a cauliflower at the market the other day the size of a beachball. My kids don't like it though unless I souse it in cheese sauce.

I've never tasted a guava. Not something we get here at all. You can sometimes get juices that have guava, but I'm sure it's not the same. I saw a cauliflower at the market the other day the size of a beachball. My kids don't like it though unless I souse it in cheese sauce.

Guava tastes like pear + strawberry. And it has the texture of a ripe pear. The aroma, tho, takes over the house, its THAT strong. Plus they fall from the tree when theyre ripe. So no climbing.

Guava tastes like pear + strawberry. And it has the texture of a ripe pear. The aroma, tho, takes over the house, its THAT strong. Plus they fall from the tree when theyre ripe. So no climbing.

Does it have a pit or stone inside, or small seeds? Do you eat the peel?

JBJ can you grow corn, or this one specifically, apparently it's called Glass Gem Corn? I've never seen it before. http://i.imgur.com/UGdd23zh.jpg

It reminds me of what we call "Indian Corn". It's only used here for ornamental purposes in the fall.

Indian Corn:
Corncobs.jpg

Ooh Indian Corn is pretty too! So you can't eat it?

No, it's really hard, the kernels are solid. I know I wouldn't eat it, not unless I wanted to break a tooth. You can buy it here in markets in the fall, I saw some just last weekend. People pull the husks back and tie it in bunches to make decorations for their door, or put it in a basket with some gourds and squashes for a pretty fall effect.

I imagine you could if it were picked really young, but I doubt it would taste nice like sweet corn. I think it must have mostly been used either ground for a cornmeal, or they soaked it to soften it and make some sort of corn porridge.

Here's what the internet says:

Indian corn is just varieties of maize that have variably colored kernels. The “Indian corn” that is used for decorations in the fall has been dried. But, if you eat it while it is still young and fresh, it is perfectly edible. However, most varieties of this type of maize have not been bred for the higher sugar content that most of us are familiar with in sweet corn, so it would probably taste quite bland. Marketing studies show that consumers seem to prefer food that is more consistent in color, so most varieties of the maize that ends up on our dinner table have been bred so that all the kernels have the same, nice yellow or white color.

One Week Later

Attachments

• HPIM3045.jpg
    HPIM3045.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 15
  • HPIM3044.jpg
    HPIM3044.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM3043.jpg
    HPIM3043.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM3042.jpg