How does this even happen?

BobbyBrandt

Virgin Wannabe
Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 14-10-52 Literotica.png
This story has been an anomaly from a statistical perspective since it first posted. 61% of the views have resulted in a vote. All of my stories combined hover around 3% votes to views, so this one is obviously skewing the average.

In reviewing my collective story stats today I see that this particular story received eleven (11) new votes since August 11th. The puzzling thing is, it only received nine (9) new views during that time. Does anyone have an explanation for how two votes occurred without someone viewing the story first?

Different pages update at different times. Maybe that's the cause of the 11/9 disparity?

Hmm. Doesn't pass the smell test. Glitch in the "sweep" software?

View attachment 2263121
This story has been an anomaly from a statistical perspective since it first posted. 61% of the views have resulted in a vote. All of my stories combined hover around 3% votes to views, so this one is obviously skewing the average.

In reviewing my collective story stats today I see that this particular story received eleven (11) new votes since August 11th. The puzzling thing is, it only received nine (9) new views during that time. Does anyone have an explanation for how two votes occurred without someone viewing the story first?
I'm not sure if it's worth trying to experiment, but it's possible the site does not count following a bookmark as a new view. That could theoretically allow for a situation where someone who has already been counted as a view goes back to finish the tale, possibly days or even weeks later, and then votes.

The views are the only statistic on the author page that isn't more or less real time. But, they do update about every 15 minutes to the best of my knowledge. Not much of a window for a discrepancy, and one that should become readily apparent in the next quarter hour.

My guess is that the visitors fell within some range that the view filter decided were non-human, and they were excluded. The voting mechanism doesn't really discriminate at the point of casting the vote beyond some simple controls. The sweeps clean up things after the fact.

Bots and spiders are filtered by known criteria, and many of those lists are quite aggressive. Sweeps filter via pattern recognition. They can easily come to two different conclusions.

Or a couple of those votes may vanish the next time the Hoover comes around.

Back