How do you people survive?

Boneryard

Virgin
Hi all,

Let me start with a little background. For years I've been writing erotic fiction for myself. I don't know how much I get off on it, actually. I just like sex and I like to fantasize about sex and when I fantasize about sex, Poof!, I've forgotten that asshole at work who doesn't understand how much more valid my ideas are than his.

This eventually got overly problematic because I would start obsessing a fantasy, it would clutter my mind. So, I started writing it down. It cleared my mind, I created the next fantasy cause, goddammit, Harold, I'm right! Ten+ years (I dunno, this is laptop #3) pass and I'm about 1000+ pages into what, if it had been about socially acceptable stuff, could have been a trilogy. A hack trilogy, no doubt, but better than the work of that dude I know who self-published. I have like fifty characters and I've run out of ideas. It also doesn't meet criteria for this website.

So, I start a couple of new stories, and expand on them as is my habit. All this time, I check in to this site to read a couple of things in my area of kink. Y'know, occasinally.

One day, I'm, like, I should publish on literotica. That would be hot, like an exhibitionist thing. I go through the FAQ's meticulously to make certain I know what I'm doing because, gods know, I am totally in the closet about writing erotic fiction (my partner knows and occasionally gets to read it but, nevermind).

I choose a suitable chapter, form at it (hmm, need to have actual line breaks between paragraphs) and hit the publish button. I wonder how many people will read it and get around to checking on it. HOLY FUCK! Ten thousand people read my story! And, shit, they have me in the 4.2 range. I am a literary genius! Seriously, It was quite the rush and, I have to admit, I did not expect this. I thought it would be a lark, that I would be cool, not care. Suddenly, I'm checking my phone twice a day for numbers, updates on my readership, my score, and, sweet gold, comments.

Well, hold on kiddos, daddy's got a shitload more where that came from! Maybe I could adapt my original big story? Nah, won't work. Still, I have, what, 20, 30 chapters hanging around. I publish another, one of my newer chapters. It gets a 'H' rating! Oh, gods, I'm truly amazing! I should write a book about, um, something, um, something besides sex. Maybe I won't be able to quit my job but at least I won't need to self-publish; I'll get a real publisher.

First, I need to give my adoring fans another morsel of WHAT THEY CRAVE! Which is my writing! I should tell the moderator to fast track this one! Where's the button that tells them I'm the gods' gift to erotic fiction? Don't they already know? I drop another chapter; will this one surpass my previous hot one?. I barely sleep and, as is my habit, grab my phone almost before my glasses the next morning. But, instead of my usual doom scrolling, I go straight to my works section. 3.88???? WHAT THE EVERLASTING FUCK? What did I do wrong? Did I have the wrong tags? Was it too short? Did I miss the mark of the appropriate level of kink? There's some bisexual stuff; does that turn people off? Won't somebody comment on it and tell me what I did wrong?

I know what they want, I know what they want. They want more of this thing in my mind. I start steaming and hammer out a quick story and, hardly edited, drop it in. Maybe this will work better. UNDER 4? (It's been published for like an hour at this time. Luckily, I'm checking my "Works" dashboard every fucking hour so I don't miss it.) Useful comments come in. "Dude, it's rushed." That's true. I rushed it. I wanted that sweet shot of endorphins from seeing that level 4 rating. I really wanted another "H." Calm down. Longer, better edited, different category. How many people read this category? That one? Maybe one of the tags brought in a bunch of haters from another category. I need to edit that other one, warn them that it might not meet their expectations, so they can drift past instead of dropping my rating. TWO WEEKS FOR AN EDIT?! Okay, be cool, be cool. I'm sitting on over 150 pages of usable stuff. Maybe I need to develop the characters better. More detail? Like, just draw it out? Make it more realistic? Do I have the camera angle right? More metaphors? Less metaphors?

I pull up two more chapters. I edit them TWICE for content, separated by a couple of days so I can get a fresh perspective. While my hand did shake, I did not have an actual panic attack when I submitted them. Now I await my fate. I should wait a day to see if they've been published. That's what a sane person would do instead of, y'know, having a browser window open to my works dashboard on every fucking device I own.

So, um, how do the rest of you handle these feelings?

Gets easier with time, but the great thing about Lit is the views. People actually read the stuff you write, and sometimes they like it enough to say so in the comments.

The main thing, though, is to make sure you're doing this for you, and everything else is just a bonus.

You know how people say not to shop when you're hungry?

I'd say try not to edit or publish when you're on the high of the last story's reception. It's a great feeling, but it can lead to rushing (as you've said). After each story let your mind simmer, let your edits sit for a couple of days before going back through them to finalise. Good luck!

Hi all,

Let me start with a little background. For years I've been writing erotic fiction for myself. I don't know how much I get off on it, actually. I just like sex and I like to fantasize about sex and when I fantasize about sex, Poof!, I've forgotten that asshole at work who doesn't understand how much more valid my ideas are than his.

This eventually got overly problematic because I would start obsessing a fantasy, it would clutter my mind. So, I started writing it down. It cleared my mind, I created the next fantasy cause, goddammit, Harold, I'm right! Ten+ years (I dunno, this is laptop #3) pass and I'm about 1000+ pages into what, if it had been about socially acceptable stuff, could have been a trilogy. A hack trilogy, no doubt, but better than the work of that dude I know who self-published. I have like fifty characters and I've run out of ideas. It also doesn't meet criteria for this website.

So, I start a couple of new stories, and expand on them as is my habit. All this time, I check in to this site to read a couple of things in my area of kink. Y'know, occasinally.

One day, I'm, like, I should publish on literotica. That would be hot, like an exhibitionist thing. I go through the FAQ's meticulously to make certain I know what I'm doing because, gods know, I am totally in the closet about writing erotic fiction (my partner knows and occasionally gets to read it but, nevermind).

I choose a suitable chapter, form at it (hmm, need to have actual line breaks between paragraphs) and hit the publish button. I wonder how many people will read it and get around to checking on it. HOLY FUCK! Ten thousand people read my story! And, shit, they have me in the 4.2 range. I am a literary genius! Seriously, It was quite the rush and, I have to admit, I did not expect this. I thought it would be a lark, that I would be cool, not care. Suddenly, I'm checking my phone twice a day for numbers, updates on my readership, my score, and, sweet gold, comments.

Well, hold on kiddos, daddy's got a shitload more where that came from! Maybe I could adapt my original big story? Nah, won't work. Still, I have, what, 20, 30 chapters hanging around. I publish another, one of my newer chapters. It gets a 'H' rating! Oh, gods, I'm truly amazing! I should write a book about, um, something, um, something besides sex. Maybe I won't be able to quit my job but at least I won't need to self-publish; I'll get a real publisher.

First, I need to give my adoring fans another morsel of WHAT THEY CRAVE! Which is my writing! I should tell the moderator to fast track this one! Where's the button that tells them I'm the gods' gift to erotic fiction? Don't they already know? I drop another chapter; will this one surpass my previous hot one?. I barely sleep and, as is my habit, grab my phone almost before my glasses the next morning. But, instead of my usual doom scrolling, I go straight to my works section. 3.88???? WHAT THE EVERLASTING FUCK? What did I do wrong? Did I have the wrong tags? Was it too short? Did I miss the mark of the appropriate level of kink? There's some bisexual stuff; does that turn people off? Won't somebody comment on it and tell me what I did wrong?

I know what they want, I know what they want. They want more of this thing in my mind. I start steaming and hammer out a quick story and, hardly edited, drop it in. Maybe this will work better. UNDER 4? (It's been published for like an hour at this time. Luckily, I'm checking my "Works" dashboard every fucking hour so I don't miss it.) Useful comments come in. "Dude, it's rushed." That's true. I rushed it. I wanted that sweet shot of endorphins from seeing that level 4 rating. I really wanted another "H." Calm down. Longer, better edited, different category. How many people read this category? That one? Maybe one of the tags brought in a bunch of haters from another category. I need to edit that other one, warn them that it might not meet their expectations, so they can drift past instead of dropping my rating. TWO WEEKS FOR AN EDIT?! Okay, be cool, be cool. I'm sitting on over 150 pages of usable stuff. Maybe I need to develop the characters better. More detail? Like, just draw it out? Make it more realistic? Do I have the camera angle right? More metaphors? Less metaphors?

I pull up two more chapters. I edit them TWICE for content, separated by a couple of days so I can get a fresh perspective. While my hand did shake, I did not have an actual panic attack when I submitted them. Now I await my fate. I should wait a day to see if they've been published. That's what a sane person would do instead of, y'know, having a browser window open to my works dashboard on every fucking device I own.

So, um, how do the rest of you handle these feelings?
At risk of further inflating your already swollen head, that was a fun read! I really felt your highs and lows. I'm gonna go check out your stories now. Good luck with the newest chapters.

When it's done? Let it go. If it's not working? Let it go. Start another one.

No point worrying about it now. It's in, and you're on to the next thing. Which you can control.

Welcome.

There are two "me" when I submit a story.

There's the one who's convinced it's the best thing ever written, top ten all-time Top List, my username whispered in reverence with the all-time greats of Literotica...

And the one who knows beyond a shadow of a doubt it's the biggest piece of shit ever submitted. It's a perfect 1.00. Readers are calling for my head on a pike on the home page. Everybody who follows me is going to find out I actually suck.

They're both in my head at the same time. Nonstop.

Logically, I know I'm not either one. My stories do very well for the most part. But for those first two or three days, I'm pretty fucking useless as a writer. I eventually go back to my other stories, get one finished, and do it all again.

It ain't gettin' any easier...but I don't think I could stop now if I wanted to. I still have too many stories to tell.

I find cocaine helps.

LOL - just kidding, welcome to Lit.

If we didn't get any reward from it, we wouldn't be here and doing it.

You will get used to it. The enjoyment never goes away, but you'll be less manic about it.

Hi all,

Ask that asshole at work; I understand all his stories have at least 500 votes and average 4.75 with 20 comments each.

Write for yourself, your own pleasure, your own purposes. Pay attention to numbers only to the degree that they help you pursue your own writing goals, and ignore them otherwise. Focus on the positive. Keep moving forward. Set goals and do the homework needed to accomplish them. Ignore noise that is irrelevant to what you are trying to accomplish.

I've experienced occasional "WTF" moments with the feedback I've received, but that's about it, because I know what I want to do and that's what I do.

Ah, those first stories. The anxiety, the rush, the happiness at getting a good score...
The novelty will wear off sooner or later and then you will be able to process everything properly and to feel content and satisfied rather than overjoyed and ecstatic. Enjoy the madness while it lasts ;)

Writing a story you know will piss certain people off can help.

I published one last year in Group Sex. It's mostly about two guys getting together, so instant downvotes, but they're in the same room as and one also gets together with the female narrator, so I figured it was more Group than Gay Male.

Figured it would never get a red H, and it hasn't. I also did a Fetish one where the average reader hopefully noped out from all the warnings, some remained to downvote, but it also got a bunch of Faves and comments, so job done.

The stories I draft, then come back and edit a few.weeks later, are always better. I don't always wait, though.

I'd say try not to edit or publish when you're on the high of the last story's reception. It's a great feeling, but it can lead to rushing (as you've said). After each story let your mind simmer, let your edits sit for a couple of days before going back through them to finalise. Good luck!
Need to remember this advice. Strikes me as very sound.

But, instead of my usual doom scrolling, I go straight to my works section. 3.88???? WHAT THE EVERLASTING FUCK?

It's a rollercoaster. You bought the ticket, now take the ride.

Doesn't matter what the rating is. I released the latest chapter of my new series three days ago. The series has been getting very good ratings. Yesterday the new chapter was at 5.0 stars with 17 ratings. Awesome! (I appear to have a small but discerning group of loyal fans.)

Now today it's at 4.8 after 20 ratings and my first thought was, "Grr! What bunch of jerks gave it low ratings? Did someone 1-bomb me?" And no comments.

The roller coaster will eventually finish this loop, as they do, with a few more small ups and downs, and then come to rest. But that's okay. I'm working on the next chapter and of course it's even better and I'll soon be back on for another ride.

VM

FYI, the chapter if you're interested:

https://literotica.com/s/the-secret-app-ch-07

I eat three meals a day, bathe daily, and trie to do some exercise every day. Oh, you mean the publication process. I try not to sweat it and let Laural do her thing.

Thank you all for your advice and insight. It should be really helpful. I think I like the ones that, paraphrased, say, "Slow your roll," so I'll definitely do that. I actually found the sense of community I got from reading these posts to be pretty awesome, as well, so, thanks again!

Doesn't matter what the rating is. I released the latest chapter of my new series three days ago. The series has been getting very good ratings. Yesterday the new chapter was at 5.0 stars with 17 ratings. Awesome! (I appear to have a small but discerning group of loyal fans.)

Now today it's at 4.8 after 20 ratings and my first thought was, "Grr! What bunch of jerks gave it low ratings? Did someone 1-bomb me?" And no comments.
Ah, not just me, then.

Back