History Replayed

Perplexia

Romance embellisher
History Replayed-Closed for a_libertine

Jayne Le’Blanc or J as they called her, stared at Henry her balding boss at the Daily Chronicle with a look of utter disgust upon her features. “I have been on this paper for two years, and covered every backwater, new age, hip hop, and preppy dance club you've ever fucking asked me to do. I put in for the traveling job, and you can't consider it because I've gained such a following. What happened to the corporate mantra of wanting to see us advance our careers and take them to the next level?"

"I'm sorry J" The middle age overweight Italian man said from behind his desk. "I'm not going to take our hottest section and turn it over to a rookie, because you want to travel. We have to put the needs of the paper first."

"So what if i quit and tell you to shove this up your ass?' she questioned her Emerald eyes blazing back at him through a strand of purple hair.

"Then you'll never work in this town again, and you'll have no reference."

"you'd really fuck me over like that?"

"Yes, just like you leaving would fuck this paper out of its highest rated section."

"Karma asshole" she exclaimed taking her assignment off his desk and storming out of his office with the much needed and anticipated slamming of his door. The whole office stopped and stared silently.

J was the only one that wasn’t afraid of him. In this day and age writers were fighting to keep their jobs. But J knew that between her blog and social media feeds she was golden. The problem was she needed the salary she got from the paper in order to balance out her bills. No one else dared to face the man they called "The Godfather" behind his back.

Grabbing her satchel denim purse knocking her chair over she headed down to the street. Normally she would grab a cab but she needed to expend some of her anger with a brisk walk the five miles to her apartment.

By the time she reached the old house that had been restored into two apartments she was out of breath. Unlocking and re-bolting the door she headed up the stairs to her apartment. It wasn't much to look at but it was quiet, cheap, and had rent control. She found the old place when she had finished college. It suited her, cracks in some walls, yet sturdy and durable.
She wasn't much on the idea of themed decorating. Over the years she had collected pieces which she liked. It was a mismatch haven.

After a shower, she changed into what she called her goth wear. A long black skirt, her combat boots, and a tank top that had a lace over shirt. Her newly streaked purple hair afforded her the ability to fit in anywhere. Even a goth club. The only downfall was she was bound to be hit on. The last thing she wanted was a man. She had spent her days hiding from the world behind books. The male characters gave her the envisionment of what a man should be. In her experience thus far, that’s not the way it worked out. Like most people she had a past, and didn’t want to add any more mistakes to it.

Making her way outside she hailed a Taxi to the club called Bloodtastic. Even though the series True Blood was over, the fad was still there. Always waiting and hoping for a new vampire series to come out.
As she stepped from the cab she made notice of the outside. The building looked like it had been spray painted black. The sign was a 70’s neon style that just looked stupid in her opinion. They had the typical velvet rope to make themselves look important. Though there was no line on a Friday night. So how good could it really be?

Still it was a supposed hot spot, so it must be covered. Sighing she walked past the doorman who held up his hand and asked for ID. Being only 5’4 and 24 she did look younger then she was. She liked to wear over-sized clothes to ensure that she wasn’t unconsciously giving out the wrong signals.

Making her way through the vampire wannabees she found a table in a back corner that gave her ample view of the dance floor, the bar, the stage, and everything in between. She liked to sit with her back against the wall to ensure no one could come behind her.

Placing her old dell on the table she opened it up and brought up word to start writing. The first words she typed was ‘this place sucks just like my idiot boss’. It gave her a slight chuckle before she erased it and started writing.

Last edited:
Publicly he was known as Allen Vanderberg, a fictious name to keep the masquerade alive. Chicago had seen its ups and downs the last 100 years or so, and was currently in a serious down spike. Violence in the streets were a symptom of that downward spiral and not the cause.

The real source of the problem was the four front war played out among the supernatural. The establishment vampires were holding onto their fiefdom with an iron grip. A coterie of young vampires were trying to slice as much of the city as possible from the older vampires. A group of human hunters were killing every vampire and thrall they could find, and lastly a pack of dogs began roaming the city parks killing any of the above they could sink their fangs into.

It all made for bad business, which was what Allen was reflecting on when he saw a very purposeful stride from a short busty blonde headed with purple streaked hair go by his vantage point in the office over looking the club.

She whipped out a laptop and began writing, deleting and writing again. He pondered a moment if he wanted to invade her mind to see what she was doing, but decided against it.

He stood and worked his way out of his office, decorated much like it had been when he was a youth in Lubeck Germany. Once a towering, imposing figure, his height of 6'1" was still tall, but no longer rare. What was rare was his physique.

He possessed a barrel of a chest with strong arms and legs. If he were so inclined, Allen could easily compete in body building tournaments.

His clothes were tailored made, not because he was particularly fastidious about clothes, but because off the rack clothes did not stand a chance to survive.

Getting out into the main portion of the club he headed over toward 'purple and slid into the booth across from her. "Kind of a walk from Northwestern to come study isn't it?" He asked. "And loud."

J had heard all kinds of pick up lines through out the years. At least this one was somewhat creative. She glanced up at him, looked around the room and brought her eyes back to her laptop where she started to write again.

"There are 3 to 5 girls drooling openly over you, and yet you choose to come bother the one that seems preoccupied. Why is that?" she questioned without looking back up to him.

At first glance he was extremely good looking. The cologne he chose was perfect for him. She found herself wanting to bathe in it. But she wasn't here for a distraction, nor did she have any intention on becoming involved with a guy.

A group of drunk wannabes wandered to her table. Somehow they thought that because she was sitting with a guy that meant all were welcome. "Hey babe" that phrase was like on nails on chalk board to her.

"why don't you dump this looser and come play with us."

She was starting to feel claustrophobic. Her heart started to race and she could feel herself on the edge of a panic attack. It was something about these guys that reminded her of her ex. She had spent years trying to deal with the aftermath of that terror.

Allen watched the pretty blonde as her heart began to accelerate and panic flashed in her eyes. He growled at the new comers and said flatly, "Leave us, if I have need of you, I will summon you."

He looked at the woman across from him and said, "My name is Allen, proprietor of this particular establishment."

He flagged a waitress down and said, "Bring the young woman a drink of her choice."

After the waitress left he asked, "If you do not like people why come here?"

As soon as he spoke the guys just scattered. There was almost a growl to it but it didn't seem to her to be over the top. She liked a man that could get his point across without acting like an ass.

"rum and coke" she told the waitress

"It's not that I don't like people" she said lightly as she practiced some deep breathing and started to regain control. "I just don't like feeling boxed in, and I could just tell they were trouble. I don't like being noticed. I try to simply blend in and be ignored. Its just how I like it. Thank you for the drink, and thank you for your assistance."

Reaching in her bag she pulled out a card and passed it across the table to him. "Jayne Le'Blanc, writer" she stated plainly. "Your establishment as been called a hot spot for chicago night life." she didn't look impressed.

She took a couple deep drinks of her rum and coke and closed her lap top. "It's been interesting Allen." She began to rise to leave.

Allen smiled indulgently at Jayne, "Jayne, it is hardly fair to judge a night club that caters to those who wish they were mythical creatures, or their thralls, a mere two hours after sunset. Most of our clientele has hardly had breakfast yet."

He stood with her, "Tell you what, come back at midnight, I will have the bouncers look for you and bring you ahead of the line. Then you will get a true appraisal of what my club truly is."

He turned and started toward the door, "Who knows maybe you will like it then, though I must warn you, it shall indeed be crowded."

Allen knew that the club catered to many of his kind and their thralls, having a place they could, more or less, be themselves. Certain rules still applied, but it was a chance to let their hair down some, and most availed themselves of the opportunity.

"And, if at that time you do not like what you see, I will deserve whatever negative review you wish to give. I merely ask, that you do not bring your laptop."

J looked at her watch, then up to Allen. Her facial features contorted as she considered his request. Slowly she sat down and looked up to him meeting his eyes. "I owe you that much, but I honestly don't think that I can endure being hit on or crowded like that. Do you maybe have an office with a view?"

She knew she was asking a lot considering she had just met him, but he did want an honest opinion of his club. If he knew her past then maybe he would understand her issues. But honestly who wants to dredge up all that shit with a perfect stranger.

There was a sense of security with him which was odd for her to feel around anyone. Given time she would end up over thinking it and probably be on extra guard. She didn't want to put him out or make him feel obligated to make special accommodations but he did deserve an accurate review.

Allen looked at her a moment, trying to judge her intentions. Unlike some of his 'Kin' Allen did not have an ability to preternaturally sense emotions in others. He had always thought it a usedul skill, just not one he had developed yet. Given his age and piwer, Allen figured short of diabolorizing another vampire he wasn't likely to do so.

Slowly he nodded, "Yes, in fact I do."

He stood, offered his hand to her and lead her across the dance floor to a hallway that led to a set of stairs. At the top of the stairs was a reception desk which was vacant and the door to his office.

Opening the door, he stepped inside and held it open for Jayne. He watched her face closely as she took in a scene from almost 700 years ago. He gave her an awshucks grin, "What can I say? The wannabe fantasy had to come from me. Right?"

As she stepped inside the heavy oak and iron reinforced door banged shut behind her. He went over to his private bar and poured her a rum and cola then handed it to her.

He answered the obvious question, "Yes, everything in here is an original, most of it several hundred years old. I would appreciate it if you left my office decor out of your article."

He sat behind his monstrously sized black cherry desk and waved at an overstuffed chair before it. "Next question? We might as well spend the 3 hours productively."

She hadn't expected him to lead her there right away. But it did mean that she wouldn't have to go and come back. For that she was grateful. Her eyes took in everything and was in awe of the history that filled the room. On the brink of saying 'Wow; when the heavy door slam and she about when out of her skin.

Taking a moment she regrouped and said "not a problem" to his request of keeping the decor of his office out of her review. Taking the drink she added"I don't see any benefit of disclosing that I wrote the article from your office. My readers don't know about my lack of 'participation'. But I am grateful that you've allowed me to write it from here."

"I don't see a reason why we can't do a more in depth interview. When was it opened?, and what motivated you to open an alternative club?"
she crossed her legs and tilted her head inquisitively. Then quickly added, "You never answered my first question, why did you sit at my table when you had the bopsy group drooling for you?"

Allen looked at Jayne and considered his answers. The easy ones he answered quickly, "Tao years ago and it filled a niche. More people are discovering the vampire rage, either through the TV show or through the very popular sparkly vampire books."

A smile touched his eyes as he continued, "I am after all a business man, always looking for additional income streams."

He the shrugged, "As to why I ignored the three sycophantic sluts for you. That is easy."

He ticked the points off with his finger, "One, you are prettier than they. Two, you brought a laptop to a nightclub, talk about you mixed messages. Three, I like your hair style, color included. Four, you don't normally belong here, so five, I was curious."

He leaned back into his chair, "Normally I answer questions on a quid pro quo basis. Interested in that?"

J couldn't help but laugh at his reasons for why her over the ones that were clearly checking him. She smirked and looked out to the club which was still relativity quiet. If she had time to think about it she would have been wary over how comfortable and at ease she felt in his presence.

Perhaps it was that he wasn't crowding her, or hitting on her in the typical manner like most men did when she was in a club. "Quid pro quo, huh?" She shook her head and took another drink of her rum and coke.

"Alright, sure why night, but i do reserve the right to pass if i feel your question is too intrusive and you may do the same Deal?"

Allen considered his question half a moment, his eyes taking in:

the slightly larger than it should be clothes to hide her body.
The way she avoided direct eye contact with
The way she sat, while looking natural and comfortable allowed her to quickly run for the door.​

So he avoided all of that, "What paper do you work for and how long?"

J was slightly surprised it hadn't been a deeper question, but was grateful at the same time. Pulling out the card from her bag she looked at it. "Still the Daily Chronicle, and about two years give or take. I write reviews on the club scene."She scowled slightly. "If i had it my way i'd be traveling all over but they won't let me transfer. Evidently my sarcastic viewpoint is all the rage."

Taking another drink she shook her head slightly. "Ok my turn, hmm... and please try not to take offense, but why the gaudy 70's look for the club? I mean obviously you have taste." He hands motioned around his office to emphasize his point.

Allen smiled, "Initially, I did not want to put much money into it. Redecorating a nightclub is a terribly expensive proposition."

He waved his hand toward the two way mirror, "When I was convinced that the place would actually make money, I began renovations, and my base clients protested. So I left it."

He ticked back in his chair and asked, "Why do you hide behind sarcasm, and not face things honestly?"

"Because entertaining myself is more fun. Evidently my readers find it more entertaining then a clear cut review. My writing is a way that i can express my cynical outlook. Unfortunately i'm not the type of person that says 'ooh a glass half full, lets add some more with sparkles and daises'. Honestly I think that the whole sparkles, daisies, and sunshine is a bunch of bullshit made up by the pharmaceutical companies to tell us how we're suppose to feel, and if we don't here you need a pill. The world isn't full of handsome sparkly vampires I mean come on, sparkles really?" she smirked a little.
Do you have any greater aspirations for your club? expanding or at least changing the sign out front? She gave him a smile.

Allen smiled at her explanation, and immediately discounted it as a half truth. The rest of the truth would come out later, thus he knew.

He stood and poured her another drink and set it before her, then returned to his chair. He shook his head , "I don't believe so. We have guest from all around the city come out and spend time and money. As long as they do, it makes no sense to invest."

Allen paused a moment as he felt one of his kind come into the establishment, an effete vampire turned on accident ten years ago or so.

"Tell me Jayne, are you from Chicago?"

J took the glass and thanked him. "Please call me J, its what I prefer. To answer your question no. I was born in Scotland, but my parents re located here before I was one. So I was raised in or around Chicago."

"wouldn't investing cause you to possibly gain a more extensive following and gain you more profit?, especially with new generations reaching the club age ever year, don't you want to give the appearance of being open to all?"

He looked at her and shook his head, "Frankly no. The core clientele I have will dictate if or when I make expansions, or renovations. I am not interested in being open to all that may come. As you know, this is not a safe city, generally, and I will keep my corner of it as safe as possible. "

He leaned forward, "I know strange business model, but I don't rely on the income here, and put it all back into the club in subtle, yet very expensive ways. Some for security, some for entertainment and some for better quality booze. For instance, we serve nothing here that can be construed as a well drink. Nothing."

He opened his hands, "What do your parents do?"

Instinctively she moved back as he moved forward. She listened to what he had to say and took it in. Then he asked a question that few bothered with, because frankly she didn't let people get that close. Her eyes went out to the floor of the club as she took in a few more patrons.

"No it isn't a safe city. But no where really is. They are dead. Did you have any inspirations in what you modeled your club after?"

He gave a same smile. "Have you ever watched those bad French vampire movies from the 70's? That was the inspiration."

He looked at her, and said, "Last answer until you answer mine."

She wondered if she had mumbled, and cleared her throat. "They are Dead" taking a deep breath and then a deep drink she cleared her throat again. "Yes I've seen them, even the really terrible ones, the shiny ones, and even the sexy ones." she laughed slightly and set down her drink. "I think I have had way to much to drink, and I have more then enough to write the review. Thank you for your hospitable attention, i'm sure you have things that are in need of your attention. One last favor, could you walk me out the back and get me to a cab?"

He stood up, and listening to the gaining din from the floor, said, "Yes, but first, come look, it is still early and you will be able to see more of what we have to offer."

He faced the two way mirror and could see the club was at half capacity already, and it promised to be a busy night. As he felt her presence, I am sort to hear that your parents have passed on."

He turned to her, "Maybe I should buy another club so that we may continue our conversation. Or would you be inclined to join me tomorrow evening for cocktails at my residence or a place of your choosing?"

She nodded and rose to stand next to him but with a good space between them. She could see that the vibe was getting started and the crowd was starting to fill in. There seemed to be a lot of regulars who greeted others they new when they arrived. The band had taken the stage and was starting to get the crowd started.

"I appreciate the offer Allen, but I don't date, could you walk me to the cab please?" As they made their way out the back and to the cab she took a look at the god awful sign. "When you change the sign i'll go out to dinner with you" she smirked at him. "Thank you for tonight, your clubs review will be in next weeks edition."

Allen smiled, "I will look for it."

He held the can door open a moment and said, "If a sign is what it takes, design one and send it to me. I will send your paper my email address tomorrow. You can email it back."

He closed the door to the cab and returned to the club. Within moments he had a wannabe in his arms, her necked craned for him to feed ffom.

She hadn't expected that he would actually consider it. 'Design one' she mumbled to herself. In her mind she already knew what it should look like. But the odds of him actually following through she didn't think would happen.

Giving the cab driver her address. She glanced around before getting out of the cab to be sure there wasn't anyone lurking. Especially her ex that hadn't discovered where she was living. She'd also kept her picture off of her byline and used initials for her column.

Once in side and the three deadbolts and chain securely in place she placed her laptop on her desk and connected to wifi. She did a search on Allen and came up with a few mentions. He'd been given an award for some charity work, he owned a few business'. No mention of a wife, No pictures with a woman on his arm.

Pulling up google she did a search for the type of font she wanted EB Neon lights to stay in his comfort zone of 70's the flat lines being in black with red blood like drops at the end and bloodtastic in all lower case in blood red, as if to mimic a heart monitor. If she received the email she would have the graphics department mock it up and send it to him.

Now for the article. Her first line read : With the possibility of a new sign, this late night hot spot promises a bite of fun.

Back