Getting slammed by anonymous critics

The anonymous e-mails that bug me are the ones where they ask questions I'd like to respond to--but give no way of responding.
I got one of those in response to my very first story. The person asked what I suppose seemed like a reasonable question to him, but there was no way to reply, even if I had been so inclined.

Although this particular incident seems like it falls under the rubric: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

There is so much raw hate in the LW category that I find it disturbing.

I know they are just lashing out and wouldn't do anything, but some of the things they suggest happen to the wives or how they encourage authors who have horrible things happen to the wives cries out for therapy.

Its not natural to be that angry over a story.

I have one entry over there and I did it to flame the crowd because I have the woman getting revenge on the cheating husband in a pretty nasty way(having him tied to a chair and watch her fuck a young guy and as a special touch he had a shock collar on so any time he looked away she would zap him) I did it on purpose to fire them up, some of these idiots aren't even literate

WHAT A FUCK PIG

I HAVE A SPECIAL FOR CHAD AND FUCK PIG FROM GREG'S POINT OF VIEW , A 6 FOOT HOLE 50 POUNDS OF LIME AND 50 POUNDS OF LYE 50 GALLONS OF WATER FUCK PIG AND 8 INCHES OF CHAD UP FUCK PIG'S ASS REVENGE GREG IS SWEET IF KAREN GETS IN THE WAY STUFF HER IN ALSO. it's all about equity isn't it.you story is pussy puss and has none as true 0 for story line and way too much descriptive sex at the end pussy puss. do better next time and remember REAL MEN GET AHEAD NOT EVEN.

I also received a threatening e-mail through the feedback where the guy told me if he ever came to Rhode Island he would find me, tie me up and rape me.

Apparently because I took the "woman's side" I must be one. The guy actually sent an e-mail to reply to(Part of me wanted to reply and tell him I sent it to the cops) and I did.

Telling him to feel free to look me up and included a picture of myself shirtless posing in front of some of my karate trophies.

I told him I was the kind of guy his wife probably left him for, a "real man"

Last edited:

I know they are just lashing out and wouldn't do anything, but some of the things they suggest happen to the wives or how they encourage authors who have horrible things happen to the wives cries out for therapy.

You're absolutely right. I was honestly surprised at how few hostile comments I got with "Unexpected Revelations," given that nothing bad happens to the spouse to confesses to an affair.

There's a pattern you see all over Literotica, where readers complain about any story that isn't the sort of story that THEY want to read. One writer I exchange e-mail with was complaining of the subset of BDSM readers who are only interested in pseudo-Gothic trappings with dungeons and stocks and whipping racks and lots of leather clothing and floggers, and who pan anything in that section without those things. I think it's because a LOT of people read here for wish-fulfillment. They can't or wouldn't actually DO any of the things they love to read about, but their favorite stories make them feel as though they can.

The angry commenters at LW mostly seem angry because they have been badly hurt at some point, and have never really made any attempt to get over it. Their wish-fulfillment is seeing someone acting similarly to the person who hurt them getting their deserved comeuppance. It's a hassle when the story they want isn't the story you want to write, but if you've spent ANY time at all reading LW, it's a known risk of posting in that section.

I just figure I'm not writing for those readers, and don't get too fashed about it.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. I was honestly surprised at how few hostile comments I got with "Unexpected Revelations," given that nothing bad happens to the spouse to confesses to an affair.

There's a pattern you see all over Literotica, where readers complain about any story that isn't the sort of story that THEY want to read. One writer I exchange e-mail with was complaining of the subset of BDSM readers who are only interested in pseudo-Gothic trappings with dungeons and stocks and whipping racks and lots of leather clothing and floggers, and who pan anything in that section without those things. I think it's because a LOT of people read here for wish-fulfillment. They can't or wouldn't actually DO any of the things they love to read about, but their favorite stories make them feel as though they can.

The angry commenters at LW mostly seem angry because they have been badly hurt at some point, and have never really made any attempt to get over it. Their wish-fulfillment is seeing someone acting similarly to the person who hurt them getting their deserved comeuppance. It's a hassle when the story they want isn't the story you want to write, but if you've spent ANY time at all reading LW, it's a known risk of posting in that section.

I just figure I'm not writing for those readers, and don't get too fashed about it.

I refer to that as Hollywood BDSM. 8 millimeter with Nicolas Cage fed that depiction a bit.

But I can handle that over the new wave of people who think 50 Shades of Gray is actual BDSM when in reality all it is is an abusive relationship. There is a faction of BDSM readers who will crucify anything that crosses that line.

Then again, BDSM is a tough category period because it is a lifestyle and each individual practices it a bit differently.

Then again, BDSM is a tough category period because it is a lifestyle and each individual practices it a bit differently.

Well there is that, I suppose. But you would think that people who have enough maturity and judgment to do BDSM safely would have enough sense to distinguish between a story on an erotic fiction site and reality.

Well there is that, I suppose. But you would think that people who have enough maturity and judgment to do BDSM safely would have enough sense to distinguish between a story on an erotic fiction site and reality.

The scary part about that quote is that they probably don't on both accounts. Luckily the odds of them finding someone to practice the BDSM lifestyle with are slim.

I posted a new, 16 page story that just came online today called An Affair of the Heart, in the Loving Wives category. This was something that I've worked on for months and I feel that it is my best story yet. Now I'm no literary genius, and I'll never write a bestseller, but it is a little disheartening to see 5 anonymous comments pop up immediately (from obviously the same person), tearing apart my work and insulting me for having the audacity to try to create something new and unique that people may enjoy. This anonymous critic even admitted to not reading the whole story, just picking some random pages to scan in order to get the general idea in order to better trash it.

This was my eleventh story posted on Lit. and I've received lots of positive feedback on all the other stories. I'd like to think that my writing has improved from my first stories 5 years ago. Just for kicks, I checked some other new stories in the same category, and guess what, there was a bunch of anon. comments trashing those stories as well. In fact, the comments trashing those stories seemed to all be written by the same poster. I came to that conclusion because the comments were so much alike. So I'm guessing that some lonely, bored, pathetic loser has nothing better to do than sit around all day and trash a bunch of unpaid authors just because he or she can. Could be another author who wants to make his or her story look better by knocking everyone else's down.

I don't hang out here on the discussion board, and this is my first post here, so perhaps this is a recurring problem with other authors too, and maybe others have complained on here about it also. I'd like to hear from others who may have the same issue.

So anyway, I'll stop ranting and say, check out my work and see for yourself. Then let me know if I should continue to write and post stories or if I should never write again. Thanks for hearing me out.

http://www.literotica.com/s/an-affair-of-the-heart

This may come off as crass and evil, but in your profile, under submissions, click view, click on the story in question, and you DO have the right to delete those comments you don't like. It's all up to you.

Let me tell you something I have discovered by ghosting the BDSM forums here. For a group of people that live a "edgy" or "risque" lifestyle they are the most judgmental and tight assed group on this forum.

Part of me wonders if its the cyber environment which adds to that because I've been to munches in different parts of the country and those people seem very open and mellow, but here? Forget it everyone is a "pro" and wrote the book.

I have one entry over there and I did it to flame the crowd because I have the woman getting revenge on the cheating husband in a pretty nasty way(having him tied to a chair and watch her fuck a young guy and as a special touch he had a shock collar on so any time he looked away she would zap him) I did it on purpose to fire them up, some of these idiots aren't even literate

WHAT A FUCK PIG

I HAVE A SPECIAL FOR CHAD AND FUCK PIG FROM GREG'S POINT OF VIEW , A 6 FOOT HOLE 50 POUNDS OF LIME AND 50 POUNDS OF LYE 50 GALLONS OF WATER FUCK PIG AND 8 INCHES OF CHAD UP FUCK PIG'S ASS REVENGE GREG IS SWEET IF KAREN GETS IN THE WAY STUFF HER IN ALSO. it's all about equity isn't it.you story is pussy puss and has none as true 0 for story line and way too much descriptive sex at the end pussy puss. do better next time and remember REAL MEN GET AHEAD NOT EVEN.

I also received a threatening e-mail through the feedback where the guy told me if he ever came to Rhode Island he would find me, tie me up and rape me.

Apparently because I took the "woman's side" I must be one. The guy actually sent an e-mail to reply to(Part of me wanted to reply and tell him I sent it to the cops) and I did.

Telling him to feel free to look me up and included a picture of myself shirtless posing in front of some of my karate trophies.

I told him I was the kind of guy his wife probably left him for, a "real man"

You, sir, are my new hero; fucking well done!

Let me tell you something I have discovered by ghosting the BDSM forums here. For a group of people that live a "edgy" or "risque" lifestyle they are the most judgmental and tight assed group on this forum.

Part of me wonders if its the cyber environment which adds to that because I've been to munches in different parts of the country and those people seem very open and mellow, but here? Forget it everyone is a "pro" and wrote the book.

I'm not the least bit surprised. I think it's the relative anonymity of the on-line environment that produces that. Most of us are fairly well-trained about not letting our inner asshole show when we're doing something in a real-life social setting that is more or less public. That constraint doesn't apply to on-line interactions.

And of course, nothing feeds one's inner asshole like being able to tell someone else that they are Doing It Wrong.

I posted a new, 16 page story that just came online today called An Affair of the Heart, in the Loving Wives category. This was something that I've worked on for months and I feel that it is my best story yet. Now I'm no literary genius, and I'll never write a bestseller, but it is a little disheartening to see 5 anonymous comments pop up immediately (from obviously the same person), tearing apart my work and insulting me for having the audacity to try to create something new and unique that people may enjoy. This anonymous critic even admitted to not reading the whole story, just picking some random pages to scan in order to get the general idea in order to better trash it.

This was my eleventh story posted on Lit. and I've received lots of positive feedback on all the other stories. I'd like to think that my writing has improved from my first stories 5 years ago. Just for kicks, I checked some other new stories in the same category, and guess what, there was a bunch of anon. comments trashing those stories as well. In fact, the comments trashing those stories seemed to all be written by the same poster. I came to that conclusion because the comments were so much alike. So I'm guessing that some lonely, bored, pathetic loser has nothing better to do than sit around all day and trash a bunch of unpaid authors just because he or she can. Could be another author who wants to make his or her story look better by knocking everyone else's down.

I don't hang out here on the discussion board, and this is my first post here, so perhaps this is a recurring problem with other authors too, and maybe others have complained on here about it also. I'd like to hear from others who may have the same issue.

So anyway, I'll stop ranting and say, check out my work and see for yourself. Then let me know if I should continue to write and post stories or if I should never write again. Thanks for hearing me out.

http://www.literotica.com/s/an-affair-of-the-heart

@laffalot - Your best revenge is the Remove Comments button. You have the right to control what comments appear after your story.

My take is that anonymous slammers are either jealous of my work or mad that I came up with the scenario/story idea before them.

My take is that anonymous slammers are either jealous of my work or mad that I came up with the scenario/story idea before them.

I don't have a problem with those, although why leave them attached to my story. It's the sick ones that I especially want removed from my creative endeavour.

This one made me laugh.

I enjoy seeing comments about people's writing left by someone who types in all caps.

by Anonymous04/17/13
SAT OR SITTING

I LOOKED AT YOU STORY AND THEN NOTED HOW YOU BEGAN--I SAT-- THAT IS A FULL STOP.
SHOULD BE --I WAS SITTING--THEN THE STORY CAN CONTINUE
IF YOU EVER WISH TO TO REALLY WRITE THEN IT SHOULD FLOW SO YOU MUST GET THE GRAMMAR RIGHT.

This one made me laugh.

I enjoy seeing comments about people's writing left by someone who types in all caps.

by Anonymous04/17/13
SAT OR SITTING

I LOOKED AT YOU STORY AND THEN NOTED HOW YOU BEGAN--I SAT-- THAT IS A FULL STOP.
SHOULD BE --I WAS SITTING--THEN THE STORY CAN CONTINUE
IF YOU EVER WISH TO TO REALLY WRITE THEN IT SHOULD FLOW SO YOU MUST GET THE GRAMMAR RIGHT.

As everyone knows, "I WAS SITTING" is passive and not good, while "I SAT" is better.

As everyone knows, "I WAS SITTING" is passive and not good, while "I SAT" is better.

"Everyone" is wrong. "I was sitting" isn't passive, it's past progressive tense.

Passive is when we describe people/things as having something done to them: "The report was written/is being written/will be written by a committee", "as opposed to "A committee wrote/is writing/will write the report".

There's nothing wrong with past progressive. Often it's interchangeable with simple past tense ("I sat") but there are situations where it makes an important distinction.

"On January 12 I wrote a report. On January 13, I broke my leg and went to hospital" tells us that the report was finished before the narrator went to hospital. If we change to "On January 12 I was writing a report", it no longer implies that it was completed before the event described next.

For that matter, passive tense has its place. "Jim was killed in Iraq" keeps the focus on Jim; "somebody killed Jim in Iraq" puts some of the focus on that "somebody", which might not be the story you want to tell.

"Everyone" is wrong. "I was sitting" isn't passive, it's past progressive tense.

Passive is when we describe people/things as having something done to them: "The report was written/is being written/will be written by a committee", "as opposed to "A committee wrote/is writing/will write the report".

There's nothing wrong with past progressive. Often it's interchangeable with simple past tense ("I sat") but there are situations where it makes an important distinction.

"On January 12 I wrote a report. On January 13, I broke my leg and went to hospital" tells us that the report was finished before the narrator went to hospital. If we change to "On January 12 I was writing a report", it no longer implies that it was completed before the event described next.

For that matter, passive tense has its place. "Jim was killed in Iraq" keeps the focus on Jim; "somebody killed Jim in Iraq" puts some of the focus on that "somebody", which might not be the story you want to tell.

And when I use "I was sitting" I received the red underline of wrongness.

I started my last novel with "Justine was sitting" and it didn't flag. Was that because it wasn't first person?

More of your jealous jackass bullshit.

By the way, your just dropping your NEMouse alt in mid rant is a dead giveaway. You really aren't very good at this alt business.

Last edited:
Back