Fox "News" Owned by Reality

dan_c00000

Literotica Guru
If you've ever wondered how busy body, vette, james, etc. keep pumping out huge, massive lied filled threads this is how it's done. Keep in mind that reality was thrust down upon these people.

I'm guessing that since these people have literally no morals they'll happily take their Obamacare yet rail against it. Kind of like the rest of red 'merica.

Inside the Fox News lie machine: I fact-checked Sean Hannity on Obamacare

UPDATE I re-reported a Fox News segment on Obamacare -- it was appallingly easy to see how it misleads the audience

By Eric Stern

hannity_screens

I happened to turn on the Hannity show on Fox News last Friday evening. “Average Americans are feeling the pain of Obamacare and the healthcare overhaul train wreck,” Hannity announced, “and six of them are here tonight to tell us their stories.” Three married couples were neatly arranged in his studio, the wives seated and the men standing behind them, like game show contestants.

As Hannity called on each of them, the guests recounted their “Obamacare” horror stories: canceled policies, premium hikes, restrictions on the freedom to see a doctor of their choice, financial burdens upon their small businesses and so on.

“These are the stories that the media refuses to cover,” Hannity interjected.

But none of it smelled right to me. Nothing these folks were saying jibed with the basic facts of the Affordable Care Act as I understand them. I understand them fairly well; I have worked as a senior adviser to a governor and helped him deal with the new federal rules.

I decided to hit the pavement. I tracked down Hannity’s guests, one by one, and did my own telephone interviews with them.

First I spoke with Paul Cox of Leicester, N.C. He and his wife Michelle had lamented to Hannity that because of Obamacare, they can’t grow their construction business and they have kept their employees below a certain number of hours, so that they are part-timers.

Obamacare has no effect on businesses with 49 employees or less. But in our brief conversation on the phone, Paul revealed that he has only four employees. Why the cutback on his workforce? “Well,” he said, “I haven’t been forced to do so, it’s just that I’ve chosen to do so. I have to deal with increased costs.” What costs? And how, I asked him, is any of it due to Obamacare? There was a long pause, after which he said he’d call me back. He never did.

There is only one Obamacare requirement that applies to a company of this size: workers must be notified of the existence of the “healthcare.gov” website, the insurance exchange. That’s all.

Next I called Allison Denijs. She’d told Hannity that she pays over $13,000 a year in premiums. Like the other guests, she said she had recently gotten a letter from Blue Cross saying that her policy was being terminated and a new, ACA-compliant policy would take its place. She says this shows that Obama lied when he promised Americans that we could keep our existing policies.

Allison’s husband left his job a few years ago, one with benefits at a big company, to start his own business. Since then they’ve been buying insurance on the open market, and are now paying around $1,100 a month for a policy with a $2,500 deductible per family member, with hefty annual premium hikes. One of their two children is not covered under the policy. She has a preexisting condition that would require purchasing additional coverage for $600 a month, which would bring the family’s grand total to around $20,000 a year.

I asked Allison if she’d shopped on the exchange, to see what a plan might cost under the new law. She said she hadn’t done so because she’d heard the website was not working. Would she try it out when it’s up and running? Perhaps, she said. She told me she has long opposed Obamacare, and that the president should have focused on tort reform as a solution to bringing down the price of healthcare.

I tried an experiment and shopped on the exchange for Allison and Kurt. Assuming they don’t smoke and have a household income too high to be eligible for subsidies, I found that they would be able to get a plan for around $7,600, which would include coverage for their uninsured daughter. This would be about a 60 percent reduction from what they would have to pay on the pre-Obamacare market.

Allison also told me that the letter she received from Blue Cross said that in addition to the policy change for ACA compliance, in the new policy her physician network size might be reduced. That’s something insurance companies do to save money, with or without Obamacare on the horizon, just as they raise premiums with or without Obamacare coming.

If Allison’s choice of doctor was denied her through Obamacare then, yes, she could have a claim that Obamacare has hurt her. But she’d also have thousands of dollars in her pocket that she didn’t have before.

Finally, I called Robbie and Tina Robison from Franklin, Tenn. Robbie is self-employed as a Christian youth motivational speaker. (You can see his work here.) On Hannity, the couple said that they, too, were recently notified that their Blue Cross policy would be expiring for lack of ACA compliance. They told Hannity that the replacement plans Blue Cross was offering would come with a rate increase of 50 percent or even 75 percent, and that the new offerings would contain all sorts of benefits they don’t need, like maternity care, pediatric care, prenatal care and so forth. Their kids are grown and moved out, so why should they be forced to pay extra for a health plan with superfluous features?

When I spoke to Robbie, he said he and Tina have been paying a little over $800 a month for their plan, about $10,000 a year. And the ACA-compliant policy that will cost 50-75 percent more? They said this information was related to them by their insurance agent.

Had they shopped on the exchange yet, I asked? No, Tina said, nor would they. They oppose Obamacare and want nothing to do with it. Fair enough, but they should know that I found a plan for them for, at most, $3,700 a year, 63 percent less than their current bill. It might cover things that they don’t need, but so does every insurance policy.

It’s true that we don’t know for sure whether certain ills conservatives have warned about will occur once Obamacare is fully enacted. For example, will we truly have the same freedom to choose a physician that we have now? Will a surplus of insured patients require a scaling back (or “rationing,” as some call it) of provided healthcare services? Will doctors be able to spend as much time with patients? These are all valid, unanswered questions. The problem is that people like Sean Hannity have decided to answer them now, without evidence. Or worse, with fake evidence.

I don’t doubt that these six individuals believe that Obamacare is a disaster; but none of them had even visited the insurance exchange. And some of them appear to have taken actions (Paul Cox, for example) based on a general pessimistic belief about Obamacare. He’s certainly entitled to do so, but Hannity is not entitled to point to Paul’s behavior as an “Obamacare train wreck story” and maintain any credibility that he might have as a journalist.

Strangely, the recent shutdown was based almost entirely on a small percentage of Congress’s belief that Obamacare, as Ted Cruz puts it, “is destroying America.” Cruz has rarely given us an example of what he’s talking about. That’s because the best he can do is what Hannity did—exploit people’s ignorance and falsely point to imaginary boogeymen.

Update: To check the plans I used this useful calculator from the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Fox News is freaking liberal dufus.

If its marginally less so than other networks that just shows how extreme all the rest of them are.

Fox News is freaking liberal dufus.

If its marginally less so than other networks that just shows how extreme all the rest of them are.

Fox is only liberal when measured against the extreme right wing fringe such as yourself.

He’s certainly entitled to do so, but Hannity is not entitled to point to Paul’s behavior as an “Obamacare train wreck story” and maintain any credibility that he might have as a journalist.
He has creditability? That's certainly news to me, after listening to him for 5 or 6 years.

Don't care for Hannity. He isn't News, he is opinion the same way is Rachel Maddow is.

That said what this seemingly diligent counterpoint shows is that individual anecdotal stories don't really prove anything..

Couple of weeks ago one of my liberal Facebook friends posted a story about some woman who had a pre-existing condition and is now able to get coverage thanks to Obamacare. Its anecdotally true. It's also true that there are currently for example motorcycle accident victims that are being covered under there in parents insurance policies winning the past they would have ended up throwing on to their local state Medicaid program.

But that's beside the point.

It would relieve some burden on the states Medicaid programs as well as make sure that the number of people who are physically covered in a state is up if everyone applies for and complies with the Affordable Care Act.

Will young healthy people want to?.... Maybe maybe not.... will they be able to afford it? Probably but that will require government subsidy where do you think the money comes from the government subsidy taking money out of one pocket passing it through government so that now we have a federal subsidy instead of a state medicaid problem doesn't change anything. All that does is mean that the federal government doesn't have to give the state government as much Medicaid money its still federal money paying for that motorcycle accident.

Anyway when the above example about the unfortunate lady with a pre-existing condition believe me I know I've had the same problem without insurance for 10 years...

What I said was okay that's a valid anecdote but it doesn't prove whether the underlying program will be in its balance cost-effective an accomplice Accomplish what we want to accomplish which is to spend my last money in Agra get on healthcare and make it available to more people.

I pointed out to her that there are going to be examples of people who lose their insurance or lose their hours and decide she doesn't agree with will be using those anecdotes and she shouldn't change your opinion based on those and it does any more than I'm going to change my opinion based on anecdotes.

So the premise of Hannity's program is incorrect even if he had his facts right and it sounds like he didn't.

At the risk of sounding like what I do test which is people defending the indefensible when people are using hyperbole to try to prove the point and they get caught out at it... I did notice that he quoted rates. He did not quote as far as I could tell what the deductibles would be on those.

If it really is true that the rates in the exchanges are so affordable compared to what's available on the open market it begs the question is the open market subsidizing the exchanges?

And if so why wouldn't all employers throw everybody off of their plans so that they could go get the more affordable version available in the exchange

And at that point do we not have universal health care?

Just askin.

Will young healthy people want to?

If it really is true that the rates in the exchanges are so affordable compared to what's available on the open market it begs the question is the open market subsidizing the exchanges?

And if so why wouldn't all employers throw everybody off of their plans so that they could go get the more affordable version available in the exchange

And at that point do we not have universal health care?

Just askin.

Whether or not young healthy people want to is irrelevant. They aren't being given a choice. That's kinda the point. Purchase Healthcare or pay a fine. That's just how it goes.

Why would it beg the question of if the open market is subsidizing the exchanges? I mean in a direct way and not a round about fashion.

Employers currently won't throw them off because there are incentives not to. In the future they may or may not it depends on a lot of things. Currently health care is offered as an excuse to keep paying people less than they are worth. Maybe it will alter that, maybe not.

We have universal health care, of sorts, it's just that it's terribly unweildy, costs too much, doesn't provide us with results on par with the rest of the world but we have it. If Republicans actually stood for fiscal responsibility they'd be pissed as hell about that.

I could respect, disagree with but respect, the idea that you work for money and you pay your own way. (I happen to live in a world that's a bit more complciated than that) but I get it. What I cannot accept is paying top dollar for a product and getting poor results.

Whether or not young healthy people want to is irrelevant. They aren't being given a choice. That's kinda the point. Purchase Healthcare or pay a fine. That's just how it goes.

Why would it beg the question of if the open market is subsidizing the exchanges? I mean in a direct way and not a round about fashion.

Employers currently won't throw them off because there are incentives not to. In the future they may or may not it depends on a lot of things. Currently health care is offered as an excuse to keep paying people less than they are worth. Maybe it will alter that, maybe not.

We have universal health care, of sorts, it's just that it's terribly unweildy, costs too much, doesn't provide us with results on par with the rest of the world but we have it. If Republicans actually stood for fiscal responsibility they'd be pissed as hell about that.

I could respect, disagree with but respect, the idea that you work for money and you pay your own way. (I happen to live in a world that's a bit more complciated than that) but I get it. What I cannot accept is paying top dollar for a product and getting poor results.

If enough young people elect to pay the 2000 dollar fine instead of the more expensive coverage, the system collapses. All those $2000 fines go to the IRS then to the general fund...

That doesn't go directly to pay anyone's medical bills. So if someone decides you know what I'm just going to pay the fine...they pay $2000... January 5th they getting a motorcycle accident wreck rack up 25 30 50 housand dollars worth of bills... they run out pay one months worth of premium... everything's covered and they can drop it the next month and pay $2000 for the rest of the year.

The stated problem was too many people are doing without insurance either because they don't want it or can't afford it.

If they can't afford the cheapest most efficient thing to do would have been to just buy insurance for them..... Which we already do its called Medicaid.... if they don't want it the fine is not currently high enough.....of course they will increasingly raise that fine until the citizenry squawks.

Nothing about this law contains anything that's going to reduce costs and it doesn't include things that are definitely going to increase costs.

Fundamental argument between supporters of the law and detractors of the law is supporters say it's more fair because people don't have insurance get insurance The detractor say well but that's not fair because that money comes from somewhere and taking from 1 to give to another is immoral.

But for the moment let's put all of that aside... who pays why they pay it cetera...(keep in mind the only reason that the employer's currently pay for your health insurance is because of the high tax brackets... it was actually a way to increase and employees compensation it was not a way to get out of compensating employees it was a way of screwing the government.)

Currently, mostly the employer pays which was always kind of a bad idea because consumer doesn't have a vested interest in keeping those costs low.

Shifting to government pays? Well, if the government gets a good bargain on health care anywhere its the only thing it buys it gets a good bargain on. (The only reason that Medicare gets away with charging the lower rates that it does is because doctors and hospitals willingly if be grudgingly work for a break even amount or sometimes at a loss because it's really bad PR to not treat old people. But more more doctors are not treating them it is harder and harder to find and Medicare provider.)

Regardless of WHO pays employer government individual, or Santa Claus there is a net amount of money that we are going to spend next year and the year after year after that on what we call health care.

That includes all kinds of cost from administration which is too high to legal fees which are too high to malpractice insurance which is too high to tort law losses which are too high to the cost of the real estate under the hospital, the cost of bricks and morter, the cost of the electricity the cost of staffing the cost of collection the cost of personal income taxes for the doctors corporate taxes for the hospitals all of these things add up to one particular amount.

And nothing in obama care fixes any of that.

The argument that well now they'll be left emergency room visits because people have insurance and I'll go to the primary care doctor anymore broccoli because their primary care doctor give them preventative medicine. You can point to individual cases where that might actually help. But in aggregate its miniscule. Both so called emergency room visits are already being born by the healthcare industry. They're not being paid for by government sometimes they can get reimbursement for local Medicaid if the people are in fact indigent and so forth... but people lined up in the emergency room not just because they don't have health care they wind up there because they don't take care of themselves they can or warning signs and they wait until it is an actual emergency. The sort of people that tend to be what used to be charity cases aren't exactly the kind of people that follow through on appointments and Keep your exercise regimen eat healthy.

But other than this fictional emergency room cost savings, what you have after obama care is what you had before Obama care plus the cost of everybody who works for Obama Care Plus the computers for Obamacare plus the building in the lights for Obama care.. Plus 15000 IRS agents as a start to enforce this monstrosity.

If as a matter of public policy Supporters want to come out and admit that they wish to overload the insurance companies collapse them and provide an opportunity for universal health care to come in and save society.... the way putting coal-fired electrical plans out of business will of course res electrical rates and make so-called green energy more attractive simply by making the way it currently functions not function..

Obamacare supporters are not saying that they're saying that it bends the cost curve down.

Last edited:
If enough young people elect to pay the 2000 dollar fine instead of the more expensive coverage, the system collapses. All those $2000 fines go to the IRS then to the general fund...

You sure do type a lot. And look in your first "sentence" you've already got basic information wrong. Please don't attempt to hijack my thread. I've owned you once and if you want to go on my bitch list please let me know. You can join vette, busy body, jenn, botany, ish, and all the other right wing lit bitches I really destroy on this forum.

130812165443-obamacare-penalties-620xa.png

Fox is only liberal when measured against the extreme right wing fringe such as yourself.

Sorry, Dumbo, you're the extreme liberal wing fringe in a philosophical sense.

If liberals didn't control the media, they would have died out in the 1980s. How does it feel knowing your ideology (that seems to be everything to you) is so pathetic it can only achieve its radical goals by controlling the entire media dialogue, the entertainment industry, the schools, and by flooding the country with tens of millions of people to whom you stoke racial resentments for your own political gain? Utter inability to win on the strength of your ideas.

If liberals didn't control the media, they would have died out in the 1980s. How does it feel knowing your ideology (that seems to be everything to you) is so pathetic it can only achieve its radical goals by controlling the entire media dialogue, the entertainment industry, the schools, and by flooding the country with tens of millions of people to whom you stoke racial resentments for your own political gain? Utter inability to win on the strength of your ideas.

It must chap your hide that Murica has elected a groid president twice.

The "Fox news" mantra was invented by liberal theorists as a way to neutralize the fact that media bias is the only way they are able to win elections. Instead of a dialogue on why 95% of the media has an open liberal bias, they are able to change the subject to one cable channel that is at most center right.

Why worry about things like the strength of your ideas when you can simply declare yourself the victor.

In the last 20 minutes I've had one liberal tell me as he's beginning the rebuttal process (badly) that he DESTROYED my "Talking Points".

Just like our gracious host here he simultaneously complained that I used too many words. I thought talking points were succinct?

My objection is not that the substance of their arguments are wrong its just that in many cases the substance is completely not even expressed. They swap into a little name calling point out everybody else is stupid maybe nitpick a sentence or a period or an apostrophe omewhere and fly out on the wings of victory. I mean I get it this is the internet you're going to have people tilting at windmills ' n fighting imaginary dragons. But this declaring victory an argument before they even made an argument strikes me as beyond socially awkward.

Do they think that no one notices that they haven't actually made a point much less won a point? Or are they just simply unable to grasp the concept of rhetorical argument?

Last edited:
You sure do type a lot. And look in your first "sentence" you've already got basic information wrong. Please don't attempt to hijack my thread. I've owned you once and if you want to go on my bitch list please let me know. You can join vette, busy body, jenn, botany, ish, and all the other right wing lit bitches I really destroy on this forum.

130812165443-obamacare-penalties-620xa.png

How does that change the substance of what I'm saying which by the way is that even at $2,000 its not a big enough fine to make any difference.

Oh wait I take that back I use the word substance I forgot who I was talking to... sure was a happy day for the internet when somebody showed you how to post a hyperlink.

I see you still haven't expressed any thoughts in your own words yet.

95 is a figure that absolutely no one will pay. Depends on the state because it depends on poverty levels but essentially if you make less than $60,000 you are going to be subsidized for your health insurance cost there for the minimum is $600 which is the greater of $95 or 1 percent of 60000 dollars threshold.

Last edited:
It sounds very much like Hannity and his guests went on his show in order to tell their audience lies. Maybe that's OK in the minds of some people, especially the ones who come on this board in order to tell their own lies, but to me it's reprehensible.

It sounds very much like Hannity and his guests went on his show in order to tell their audience lies. Maybe that's OK in the minds of some people, especially the ones who come on this board in order to tell their own lies, but to me it's reprehensible.

Who said it was acceptable.? I certainly didn't my point is they told anecdotes to suit their points of view which is pretty much the only thing I see around here in the way of argument from anyone. I don't see macroeconomics being discussed.

This by the way would be a thread jack:

"What do you think are the origins of dan's delusion's of grandeur?"

Another thread-jack would be when the original poster, waxes fanciful about how he be ownin' bitches.

Last edited:
Back