Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reasonably certain that they can be removed without too much effort.

Still, I'll make a note. No straw condoms for Pete.

I'm reasonably certain that they can be removed without too much effort.

Still, I'll make a note. No straw condoms for Pete.

Whoever tore them off so perfectly obviously got their grubby hands all over the straw in the process.

Tati- followed your instructions and will now follow them, forever :D

The red wine sauce was so, so good! It was so rich and almost meaty-tasting. After having made it myself, I can see a lot of room for creativity and that always makes me feel relaxed about a recipe and ultimately, I enjoy it more.

Thank you!:rose:

I realize this is a crazy as well as lazy question. But does anyone know if there is such a thing as a Pasta Cooker? I would love to have something on the order of a rice cooker.

I realize this is a crazy as well as lazy question. But does anyone know if there is such a thing as a Pasta Cooker? I would love to have something on the order of a rice cooker.

This is what I use:

31C9NR4ZEAL._SS400_.jpg

*grins*

I've never heard of an electric pasta cooker, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were one out there, somewhere. I must admit, I'm not seeing the need for one, but that's just me. Rice cookers, I can see, because of the steaming/holding angle.

If there is a dedicated pasta cooker out there, Alton Brown would want to smash it to bits, though. No single-task kitchen gadgets!

:)

Most of the things I've seen marketed as a pasta cooker are basically stockpots with steamer inserts. There are plastic ones for microwaving and other various cheap gadgets, but all equal the same thing. Hot water plus several minutes equals cooked pasta. Even in crockpot recipes it's recommended that you boil it first.

There are commercial ones for the food industry, but they look like giant fry vats.

This is what I use:

31C9NR4ZEAL._SS400_.jpg

*sticking out my tongue at you!*

*grins*

I've never heard of an electric pasta cooker, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were one out there, somewhere. I must admit, I'm not seeing the need for one, but that's just me. Rice cookers, I can see, because of the steaming/holding angle.

If there is a dedicated pasta cooker out there, Alton Brown would want to smash it to bits, though. No single-task kitchen gadgets!

:)

Yes, understand that. I resisted the rice cooker for years. But now I have no kitchen and I was hoping to find a gadget for pasta cooking.

Most of the things I've seen marketed as a pasta cooker are basically stockpots with steamer inserts. There are plastic ones for microwaving and other various cheap gadgets, but all equal the same thing. Hot water plus several minutes equals cooked pasta. Even in crockpot recipes it's recommended that you boil it first.

There are commercial ones for the food industry, but they look like giant fry vats.

That's what I figured. I eat a lot of pasta. I go to a friends house and cook up 4 or 5 different kinds, bag it in quart bags, then freeze it. All I have to do is thaw and microwave as I need it. I just hate going to someone else's kitchen if I could do it at my place.

Yes, understand that. I resisted the rice cooker for years. But now I have no kitchen and I was hoping to find a gadget for pasta cooking.

That's what I figured. I eat a lot of pasta. I go to a friends house and cook up 4 or 5 different kinds, bag it in quart bags, then freeze it. All I have to do is thaw and microwave as I need it. I just hate going to someone else's kitchen if I could do it at my place.
Here's one of the microwave ones. It seems to have good reviews.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Progressive_Microwave_Rice_Pasta_Cooker_Set_GMRC_500

Another option would be a hotplate, unless you're in a dorm situation that doesn't allow them. :)

Tati- followed your instructions and will now follow them, forever :D

The red wine sauce was so, so good! It was so rich and almost meaty-tasting. After having made it myself, I can see a lot of room for creativity and that always makes me feel relaxed about a recipe and ultimately, I enjoy it more.

Thank you!:rose:

Oh yay! I'm glad it worked out for, keep in mind that if you don't have enough pan drippings you can always use beef, chicken or veggie stock for that extra kick of flavor.

Oh yay! I'm glad it worked out for, keep in mind that if you don't have enough pan drippings you can always use beef, chicken or veggie stock for that extra kick of flavor.

Excellent advice. Stocks are your best friend.

Or, if you can find it in your local store, a demi-glace (in essence, a very concentrated reduced stock, often veal) works beautifully. Your better butchers or specialty will sometimes carry it. They can add a great deal of silky richness to a sauce.

not sure if this is helpful...but a crockpot might be useful for you. It wouldn't really work for pasta, but it can cook lots of stuff, especially if you eat meat. They come in a variety of sizes, too, which is nice if you're just one person, or have a small space.

not sure if this is helpful...but a crockpot might be useful for you. It wouldn't really work for pasta, but it can cook lots of stuff, especially if you eat meat. They come in a variety of sizes, too, which is nice if you're just one person, or have a small space.
I have three crock pots! And I almost never use them. I eat very simple at home. Pasta, steamed veggies, and a tiny piece of chicken or pork chopped up in it. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, top with butter, stick it in the microwave to heat. Simple and delish! I was just daydreaming how great it would be to have some sort of electric pasta cooker. I knew it was a long shot, but figured you guys would know it such an animal existed!

...you could try an electric kettle.

I can see that working if you use fresh pasta (not the dried stuff).

or, get a kitchen ;)

I loooove spinache, and tonight I experimented a little with making creamed spinach. This turned out to be really tasty. I was going to use onions, but when I looked in my basket where I keep onions, potatoes, garlic and shallots I noticed I have TONS of shallots that I need to use up. The shallots really made a difference in the creamed spinach. Yum! This makes about 4 servings.

Creamed Spinach

*Preheat oven to 450

2 bags frozen spinach
3 large shallots, minced
1 tbl garlic, minced
3 tbls butter
3 tbl flour
3/4 c heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2
¼ c chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
Minced zest of ½ a lemon
S&P
1 c fresh breadcrumbs
2 tbl melted butter

Boil the spinach and press out as much water as possible.

Sautee garlic and shallots in 3 tbl butter over medium heat until shallots soften. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Wisk in cream and broth. If sauce is too thick, thin it with broth. Stir in spinach.

Remove from heat and add lemon zest, parmesan salt and pepper. Mix well and pour into 2 qt baking dish.

Combine bread crumbs with 2 tbl melted butter. Sprinkle over spinach and bake until hot and bubbly with breadcrumbs golden brown, 10-15 minutes.

The spinach sounds very yummy, I love a creamed spinach with steak...I'll have to try it.

shallots are awesome...they have such a delicate flavor.

The shallots really made the dish. It was really yummy, even my 6 y.o. ate it up without hesitation! :)

I ran across a couple of recipes in my Cuisine Magazine this evening that look soooo good. I can't wait to try them.

Thai for Two: Cilantro Pesto Halibut

For the halibut:
2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
1 tbl soy sauce
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp sugar
2 garlic cloves
2 halibut or mahi-mahi fillets

For the dipping sauce:
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c water
1/2 c white vinegar
1 tbl garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)

Process cilantro, soy sauce, black pepper, oil, 1/2 tsp sugar and garlic cloves in a food processor until minced. Spread onto both sides of fish fillets to coat and let stand at room temp for 10-15 minutes. Prepare grill to medium high.

Simmer 1/2 c sugar, water, vinegar, 1 tbl garlic and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. When sugar is dissolved, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the consistency of maple syrup, about 10 min. Remove from heat, stir in red pepper flakes and set aside.

Lightly coat both sides of the fish fillets with nonstick spray and grill until cooked through and firm, 4-6 minutes per side. Do not overcook.

Serve with steamed white rice.

Shrimp Rockefeller Stuffed Mushrooms

Prepare and roast:
24 large button mushrooms

Saute in 1 tbl olive oil:
1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, cut into chunks. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Combine; Add:
3 oz cream cheese, softened
3 tbl mayo
1 tbl milk
1 1/2 c frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
3 tbl parmesan, grated
2 tsp fresh tarragon
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbl scallions, minced
Salt, cayenne and nutmeg to taste.

Toss together: Top with
1/3 c fresh bread crumbs
2 tbl olive oil
2 tbl parmesan, grated

Preheat oven to 425

Prepare mushrooms by first removing and discarding the stems. Arrange caps on a baking sheet, stemmed side up, sprinkle insides with salt and roast 10 min. Flip over caps and roast 5 min more. Remove mushrooms from oven, but leave the oven on.

Sautee shrimp in 1 tbl oil in a skillet over medium-high heat just until pink, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.

Combine cream cheese, mayo and milk in a bowel. Add spinach, 3 tbl parmesan, tarragon, lemon juice, Worcestershire, scallions and seasonings.

Toss crumbs with 2 tbl olive oil, 2 tbl parmesan, salt and pepper to taste in a small bowel. Stuff mushrooms, placing 2 or 3 shrimp in each cap. Top with a generous tsp of cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with crumbs and bake until heated through and topping is golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back