Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
rosco rathbone said:
The shit I get here isn't even worthy of the name. These hocks are so meaty they look like minature (about hand-grenade size) country hams.
now, i have a hankerin for some beans.....

You do roast the hocks prior to use? Adds a bit more, I think.

thør said:

I am the master of beans & ham-hocks. :)
Beans & ham, fried taters and homemade corn bread. *tummygrowl*

For extra flavor, I add a few dashes of liquid smoke.

thør said:

I've never seen a recipe saying to roast them. These are already heavily cured and smoked. I might try it with some of the lame meatpacking plant hocks I have in my freezer.

Delicacy said:

'

And you have the audacity to come in here saying that and post no recipes???

rosco rathbone said:
I've never seen a recipe saying to roast them. These are already heavily cured and smoked. I might try it with some of the lame meatpacking plant hocks I have in my freezer.

Throw one into the pot you're going to cook your dish in and slide it into the oven at 350°F for 45 minutes to an hour. Keep all the juice, etc. Then, do your normal recipie. You will like it.

Delicacy said:

I can be there by 6p.......

Delicacy said:

Hello, you! I was just catching up on the baby news in your thread. So glad everyone's healthy, even though he's being stubborn and making you wait. ;)

I love bean soup slow-cooked with ham-hock. Now I'm going to have to make it soon...with cornbread, of course.

thør said:
I can be there by 6p.......

Yes, you sure can be here!

I like getting those Costco hams, in the red cellaphane. After a meal or two, there's plenty of meat left for ham & beans. I usually use pinto beans, sometimes I add kidney beans for a little color. I sort and soak the beans overnight with a little baking soda. The next day, I rinse them and put them (and the ham) in a large soup pot and add water and a box of organic vegetable stock. I add 3 bay leaves, liquid smoke, quartered onions, garlic cloves, a little rosemary and salt & pepper. I let them simmer for 5-6 hours, adding more water when necessary. By dinner time, they're perfect.

Is there really that much more flavor in the hock VS the ham?

By the time the corn bread and fixins are all sitting on the table, could anyone really tell a difference?

SaintPeter said:

By the time the corn bread and fixins are all sitting on the table, could anyone really tell a difference?
Shhhhhh. Keep it up and Tort will give you the "rich flavor is in the gelatin you get from the bone and gristle" lecture.

SaintPeter said:

I've never bought a ham hock, I just always cut the meat off the ham bone and throw it all in the pot.

SaintPeter said:

the simple answer...........yes......

Collette said:
Shhhhhh. Keep it up and Tort will give you the "rich flavor is in the gelatin you get from the bone and gristle" lecture.
The flavor is closest to the bone!

Delicacy said:
I've never bought a ham hock, I just always cut the meat off the ham bone and throw it all in the pot.
Next time you are up this way, drop into Mr. Prime Beef at 76th and Old Seward Highway and get a nice smoked ham hock or two.

Tinkersquash said:
What do you ice your cake with? Do you use fondant? I just missed an opportunity to buy a Morrisons classic iced Christmas cake. I'd been looking forward to trying one such cake!

I,err cheat. I buy a packet of ready to roll royal icing from Lidl and use that over my shop bought marzipan (also Lidls) taste fantastic every time.

Actually I iced one up today, cut it into slices and the slices are now in airtight tubs inside envelopes ready to invade the world! :D

Collette said:

It's all about the bone, baby.

Corny Corn Bread

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 scant teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 can (approx. 15 ounces) cream-style corn
3 eggs
6 tablespoons butter, melted

(The creamed corn and sour cream makes this super moist. Add chopped jalapeno pepper for more zing.)

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the remaining ingredients. Combine mixtures, stirring until all ingredients are moistened. Spread in a greased and floured 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back