strawberries-balsamic.jpg

1 cup heavy cream
1 pound whole milk ricotta cheese
8 ounces mascarpone cheese
3/4 cup granulated sugar
Grated zest of one lemon
2 pounds strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, or to taste

1 In a medium bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form.

2 In a large bowl combine the ricotta, mascarpone, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and lemon zest. Using an electric beater, whip the ricotta-mascarpone mixture until thoroughly combined and smooth.

3 Gradually fold the whipped cream into the ricotta until the mixture is smooth. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours.

4 Put strawberries in another bowl. Half an hour before serving gently mix in the remaining sugar and balsamic vinegar. Make sure you don't let the strawberries sit in the balsamic vinegar much longer than 30 minutes before serving or the acidity of the vinegar will cook the strawberries.

5 When you are ready to serve, fill glass bowls halfway with the strawberries and their juices. Spoon on the ricotta-mascarpone mousse or use a pastry bag to pipe the mousse.

Serves 8.

from the simply recipes blog.

Oh lord. Mouthwatering new recipes, ladies. I will make a point of adding them to the Index tomorrow (just have my iPhone tonight, which doesn't copy/paste).

Yum!

tortoise said:
Oh lord. Mouthwatering new recipes, ladies. I will make a point of adding them to the Index tomorrow (just have my iPhone tonight, which doesn't copy/paste).

Yum!
You have iPhone! Bastid!

Recidiva said:
We just made a batch of these, plain and also dipped in dark and milk chocolate, and cheesecake filled raspberries, plain and dipped in dark and milk chocolate.

They are SO good.

Did you make them with full fat cream cheese or low fat? I can't let myself go full fat, I will feel too guilty. I wonder if they are as good with lf cream cheese.

help!!!

i'm getting about a bushel of various summer squashes every week and the damn things are rotting because i don't know what to do with them.

suggestions, please! esp ones that i can make a big batch of and freeze.

this is the only way i'll eat okra

2 slices bacon, diced
1 onion, diced
1lb okra, sliced
2-3 ears corn, kernels sliced off
2-3 tomatoes, diced (preferably peeled and seeded)
salt to taste

cook bacon the saute onion in bacon and grease until browned. add okra, cook ~5 min. add corn, cook another 5 min. add tomatoes, cook another 5 min.

variations: add diced jalapeno, or basil, or sassafras powder.

leZilla said:
Did you make them with full fat cream cheese or low fat? I can't let myself go full fat, I will feel too guilty. I wonder if they are as good with lf cream cheese.

I bought an actual cheesecake and we piped it in with a pastry bag.

This is not something I would insult by making low fat anything.

Full guilt. It's worth it.

Recidiva said:
I bought an actual cheesecake and we piped it in with a pastry bag.

This is not something I would insult by making low fat anything.

Full guilt. It's worth it.

I'm sorry...I just....I just....I CAN'T!

*cries*

leZilla said:
I'm sorry...I just....I just....I CAN'T!

*cries*

*sigh*

I understand...

I just had a Jimmy Dean lite breakfast sandwich...turkey sausage...egg white only...whole wheat biscuit...

I feel so dirty.

Best shrimp and grits, ever.

shrimpngrits.jpg

For the grits:
3 cups milk
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup stone-ground white cornmeal ( I used polenta )
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the shrimp:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium white onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pound andouille or spicy Italian spicy sausage, cut in chunks ( I used turkey andouille )
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 to 3 bay leaves
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
Pinch cayenne pepper, adjust to personal preference
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 green onions, sliced

For the grits:
Place a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the milk and cream. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal. When the grits begin to bubble, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Allow to cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, thin it out with a little extra cream. Season with salt and pepper.
For the shrimp:
Place a deep skillet over medium heat and coat with the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes to soften. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, until there is a fair amount of fat in the pan and the sausage is brown. Sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to create a roux. Slowly pour in the chicken stock and continue to stir to avoid lumps. Toss in the bay leaves. When the liquid comes to a simmer, add the shrimp. Poach the shrimp in the stock for 2 to 3 minutes, until they are firm and pink and the gravy is smooth and thick. Add the cayenne pepper, Tabasco and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper; stir in the parsley and green onion. Spoon the grits into a serving bowl. Add the shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.

raindancer said:
I added red pepper flakes!

Did you know that Texas Pete's is actually made in NC?

I did not know that.

It is sorta wimpy. I was hoping for more burn.

raindancer said:
shrimpngrits.jpg

For the grits:
3 cups milk
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup stone-ground white cornmeal ( I used polenta )
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the shrimp:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium white onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pound andouille or spicy Italian spicy sausage, cut in chunks ( I used turkey andouille )
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 to 3 bay leaves
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
Pinch cayenne pepper, adjust to personal preference
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 green onions, sliced

For the grits:
Place a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the milk and cream. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal. When the grits begin to bubble, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Allow to cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and thick. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, thin it out with a little extra cream. Season with salt and pepper.
For the shrimp:
Place a deep skillet over medium heat and coat with the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes to soften. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, until there is a fair amount of fat in the pan and the sausage is brown. Sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to create a roux. Slowly pour in the chicken stock and continue to stir to avoid lumps. Toss in the bay leaves. When the liquid comes to a simmer, add the shrimp. Poach the shrimp in the stock for 2 to 3 minutes, until they are firm and pink and the gravy is smooth and thick. Add the cayenne pepper, Tabasco and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper; stir in the parsley and green onion. Spoon the grits into a serving bowl. Add the shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.

Oh my god this sounds so good, I LOVE shrimp & grits!

who here has had Dragon Fruit? They are SOOOOO gorgeous inside!! I want to know what they taste like!
dragon+fruit+cut.jpg
dragon+fruit+1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back