Flying while trans

temp256

Literotica Guru
I posted this in the GLBT forum initially, but it quickly got bumped off into obscurity.

I was just offered an all expenses paid trip for a job interview. The only problem is it involves flying, something I haven't done in over a decade.

Flying itself doesn't bother me, but airport security in the US has only gotten more and more invasive and absurd. They molest everyone, and would further harass someone like me for fun. I'm not sure what to do.

As a bit of background, I'm a transwoman. All my papers are in order, my appearance is perfectly passable, and no one is the wiser. At least, unless they conduct searches which in any other circumstance would be considered sexual assault. I'll be flying entirely within the US, so no customs to worry about.

What is the level of idiocy in the TSA these days? Is there anything I can do to prevent persecution? There's no way I'll ever step into a nudie scanner, but what about the groping?

Tsa

Your chances of being groped should not happen, although the screening is quite
exposing, but keep in mind they have seen everything!!!

This site has a lot of great info and tips.

I think your main thing would be to get to the airport extra early. They recommend 1.5 to 2 hours before domestic flights during non-peak times, so maybe arrive 3 hours early. Then, if you are selected for additional screening, you'll have the option of doing it privately. You should have the option of a pat down vs. a body scan; if you'd prefer to have another woman do this, say so. If privacy and dignity are your main concerns, you may want to let the TSA agent know you're trans (and be prepared to explain what that means, in simple terms, like, "I'm a woman who still has some male parts") so they're prepared and can treat you with the sensitivity and professionalism you deserve.

Hopefully, though, you'll simply pass through the metal detector and go right to your gate.

In the end, it may be about having the right mindset and attitude. Be confident in your identity and body, and focus on the idea that you're unlikely to see the TSA folks again/much. This may also be a great opportunity to educate someone and help them be better at their job. At least that's how I choose to deal with potentially embarrassing and sensitive situations. :)

Your chances of being groped should not happen, although the screening is quite
exposing, but keep in mind they have seen everything!!!

Key word there being "should". I don't know how common it is but it certainly happens; my girlfriend was groped by TSA a couple of years back when she chose a pat-down rather than go through the scanners.

And yeah, you'd think they'd have seen everything, but security types are still capable of being ignorant and stupid when it comes to trans issues. Check up the recent case with Avery Edison; she was arrested in Canada for a visa violation, and they had absolutely no idea how to deal with a trans woman.

Skip the search, take a train. (I haven't flown since 2003.)

play a prank

I have seen a joke online once that when the TSA starts their search, the person started moaning & acted like they were enjoying it. Afterwards, that individual was not harassed by Security for the rest of their trip.

It's a thought.

Any advice on what to wear to reduce the risk of being molested? Tight clothes, no bra? What do I do with my coat? How about small metal earrings? They're not easy to remove without tools, but I have other metal in my head I can't remove anyway.

How invasive do they get with the groping? I've heard different things. Is it reasonable to think my secret would be safe?

I'm on the verge of canceling the trip because of this.

There are no trains where I live. It's either fly, or drive for two days straight.

Any advice on what to wear to reduce the risk of being molested? Tight clothes, no bra? What do I do with my coat? How about small metal earrings? They're not easy to remove without tools, but I have other metal in my head I can't remove anyway.

How invasive do they get with the groping? I've heard different things. Is it reasonable to think my secret would be safe?

I'm on the verge of canceling the trip because of this.

There are no trains where I live. It's either fly, or drive for two days straight.

I see SweetE has posted the link that I wanted to. Read it, it's a good source for information on travelling, period. Here is another one that may help.

I am not a transwoman, but I'll tell you my experience as a ciswoman. I fly every few months into the US and within the US, and the most recently was a few days ago - and as a possessor of an unusual name, I do get scrutinised a little more closely.

Wear whatever makes feel comfortable, but I would leave the belt in your carry on. The reason is that belts often trigger the alarm on the metal detector, so you have to take it off. The act itself takes a lot of time, and you start hearing sighs of frustration, and that makes you more nervous. My motto is less that I have put in the bins, the better - I want to take the less amount of time to put everything through the X-ray, and less amount of time to pick it up. Your fellow passengers will thank you for that.

If you want to wear a bra, wear a bra. I only wear underwire bras and it NEVER triggered the metal detector.

If you can leave your coat at home, then do. I don't know where you are flying to, but if it's somewhere you do not need your coat, don't bring it. When travelling in the cold season to someplace warm, I wear a moto jacket and a sweater, and leave my coat with the person who is picking me up (or in my car). The reason is because you do not want to bring more than you have to - airplanes are cramped, there isn't a lot of space and you need to carry everything with you at all times and that gets annoying.

You put your carry on, your shoes and your jacket - and empty all pockets - into the provided bins which goes through the X-Ray. You walk through whatever you walk through (you are allowed your passport and tickets in your hand). Once you've walked through and given the clear, which you will be, that's it. You pick everything up, you put your shoes back on, and then you wait at Starbucks. Once you've passed through, you are cleared and therefore there is no reason for any TSA or cop to ask you any questions, unless you leave your baggage unattended or if you dropped something (to which they will pick it up, say "Ma'am, is this book yours?").

If you are carrying syringes, you must have a doctor's note in hand. They often just look at the note, and say 'Have a nice day'. The doc knows what to put there in order to protect your privacy; a good friend of mine, who is on injected insulin, never had to reveal that she is diabetic, and the note is from her doc to say that it was medically necessary that she always carries her injections. All other meds go into a Ziplock bag (to keep it together) in their original container and into your carryon.

If you wear small earrings and jewelry, wear small earrings and jewelry. I have hoops and studs in my ears which I never had to take out, I wear a bracelet and a ring, and I never ever had a problem with triggering any metal detectors. The same friend had a clit piercing and that only triggered the wand (never the walk-through), but she said piercing to the agent, and that was it. If you have metal in your head, as you walk through just say "I have a metal plate in my head", but from what I understand, these do not trigger the X-ray.

The pat down is not invasive at all. I never had a problem with it: two women TSA pulled me aside, told me that it was a random search and asked me if I wanted to go to a room. I said no, they took me aside so that I will be out of view, had me stand with legs and arms outspread, and quickly ran their hands over my limbs and torso. They never went anywhere near my crotch and the whole thing took less than 30 seconds, and they were extremely apologetic about the whole thing, to the point that I almost asked them if they were Canadian. Honestly, I was groped more by random strangers.

The pat down, by the way, is often triggered by two things: random search and something is off. IF you are pulled aside, do not assume it is because you are a transwoman, but rather they have to pull you aside because you are passenger number 145 (or whatever). If it's anything, I've been pat down twice in my entire life: once when I was flying into the Middle East, where every single person was pat down, and the other time a year ago, because the computer told the TSA to pull me aside - and I've flown countless times.

If you have the walk-through full body scanner, that takes all of 10 seconds, and it's nothing to it. Again, if you have paper work, just hand it to the agent, do what s/he tells you to, and that's it.

The best bet is to arrive early - I almost always arrive 3 hours early - and not to stress (too much). You have every right to be there, you are not a criminal. Most do not care if you are a trans or not, they care only whether you are dangerous or not. Act normally, be polite, don't act as if you have anything to hide (you don't). Don't stammer, don't over explain. Answer all questions truthfully, and to the point. You have your documents in order and it's your right to be there. In fact, since you don't have to clear customs, so you show a picture ID, where the name matches your ticket, and then be prepared to be bored. It might help if you said that this is the first time you are flying and you are a little nervous if it comes up, but ask around. In other words, do not behave in a way that calls attention to yourself. If you are acting normally, slightly tired and frustrated, you are going to blend in beautifully. :D

Again, I do not know what it is like to be a transwoman, so I can only give you my experience as a ciswoman who travels often, especially in the US. Act naturally. You have nothing to hide - I understand that transpeople, particularly those who are in the process of transitioning, unfortunately face considerable discrimination, and unfortunately agents are over-worked, stressed and are not educated in sensitivity. However, that said, I've encountered considerably more kind and polite agents than I have rude ones (I can count on one hand and still have fingers left over). The annoying part is the waiting - all the other action, if you take it in stride and do not make a big deal out of it takes no more than 10 minutes. Plus, it helps to remember that everyone goes through this. No one is immune.

Go. You deserve the trip, and if you are, in the highly unlikely event, harassed then use it to advance the cause for acceptance. That said, you should not cancel the trip that you worked so hard for in the highly unlikely event that you are going to be harassed.

And stay away from the internet and reading up on anecdotal events. Each flight is a different experience.

Good luck and have fun :rose:

Last edited:
Great post, FB!

Temp, if you go into it thinking about words like "groped" and "molested", you're FAR more likely to have a bad experience.

My past few trips have been with my rambunctious toddler. I just follow the rules and put everything that could be 'iffy' in the bin to go through the xray machine. I even separate out meds in a separate bag and water bottles (full of water). You're not technically allowed to take big containers of liquids, but I indicate that I have a medical necessity to have access to water at all times (I do, sort of, but the reality is I drink filtered water and don't want to buy expensive bottled water or even stop to fill up our bottles near the gate), and they simply ask me to drink from each bottle to prove it's water. No problem, they're always very professional and nice (and happy to pass us and our shitload of carryon stuff (think: carseat, stroller, laptop, tablet, coats, shoes, a gallon ziploc bag of meds, 4 quarts of water, etc.). through as quickly as possible. They even let my dad through security with a special "travel assistant" pass. So, they're typically pretty damn accommodating and helpful if you follow the rules on the TSA site, or they can find a work-around for things like my water situation.

One thing you might consider is contacting your airline's "special passenger accommodations" department ahead of your trip. Most airports also have a person who deals with travelers with special needs. Let them know you're very concerned about your privacy and potential unprofessional treatment at security, given the fact that there are very few transfolk in your area and you've been treated poorly by all sorts of professionals before. Tell them you're not seeking any special treatment, but you'd like to be treated with the respect and compassion other passengers receive if you happen to be selected for enhanced/secondary screening. Ask if they can work with the TSA to ensure this. That might involve them asking the TSA supervisors to review procedures and professional guidelines for transfolk with all agents before you travel, or talking to the TSA supervisor and agents who are on the shift during your travel times. They might say something like, "You need to be aware that we may have a woman who is transgender going through security between 9 and noon today. Please remember to treat her with the utmost respect, privacy and professionalism if she happens to be selected for a secondary screening." I'd imagine that would serve a bunch of purposes for you and the TSA agents at the airports you'll depart from. Being proactive in situations like this can allay a lot of anxiety and fears.

I see this as a great opportunity to conquer fears and show yourself that you're an incredibly strong woman. Look at it as a step in your transition, if that helps you. If you're in therapy, it might be a good idea to bring this up at your next session. If you have a good doctor, perhaps talk to him/her about your fears and see if they have any suggestions for you. Attack this situation, don't let it attack you!

Lots of great advice here already.

I'll just reiterate to ditch your attitude. No reason to assume you'll me groped or molested. I travel all the time. Have had a variety of experiences with security from not setting off the metal detector, to setting it off, to wands, to scanners, to pat downs and never had a bad experience. Any pat down...once at my request because I couldn't physically lift my arms for the scanner...have always been done by a woman and in public. That's how unembarassing, uninvasive they were. And yes no where near my crotch.

I wouldn't let your fears put you off what could be an amazing trip. The reality is never as bad as your imagination makes it anyway.

The reality is that thousands of people fly every single hour without being molested - or even touched - by security personnel. It is unlikely to happen to you, and if it does you can be prepared to explain your situation and ensure that they treat you in a decent and professional way.

I wouldn't let your fears put you off what could be an amazing trip. The reality is never as bad as your imagination makes it anyway.

I've seen a few people in this thread say similar things. I don't want to start an argument, and I certainly don't want to discourage the OP, but I'm curious as to how many of you are speaking from experience of flying while trans/non-gender-conforming vs how many are speaking from cis experience and assuming that it'll be the same for a trans person.

I've seen a few people in this thread say similar things. I don't want to start an argument, and I certainly don't want to discourage the OP, but I'm curious as to how many of you are speaking from experience of flying while trans/non-gender-conforming vs how many are speaking from cis experience and assuming that it'll be the same for a trans person.

Like you, not trying to start an argument, but something I wish to point out: I've made it abundantly clear that I am cisgendered and travel as such. However, I will make it also abundantly clear that I have been pulled out plenty of times because a) my name is highly unusual, and b) my name is similar to a wanted criminal. Particularly during high alert, I am given close scrutiny and have been detained and questioned.

I am not suggesting that my experiences is anything what Temp could face. However, I am suggesting that while her fear is very valid, she should not go on a trip, and miss out on a job of a lifetime, due to a possibility. If she is amply prepared, has a good attitude, and follows the tips given here as well as on a various websites geared towards trans-travellers, she will be equipped to handle anything and everything. She may have the trip from hell - she may also have absolutely no problem.

I don't think any of the posters are even trying to compare ciswoman travelling to transwoman travelling. We know that the reality is very different, even if we do associate with the same equipment. That said, the hard fact is that there are idiots and insensitive persons EVERYWHERE: the TSA, the local grocery store, HR. I encourage Temp not to let bigotry and ignorance rule; however, it is her decision. She asked questions about our experiences of those who flown in the USA recently - I told her mine.

I hope that this answers your (very valid!) point. It ISN'T the same, but it is comparable, and those who travels a lot can give pointers and tips that are applicable to everyone. :rose:

I don't think being cis/not being in the exact same situation precludes people from giving good advice to Temp. I'm sure most of us have been in situations where concerns about privacy and being treated unprofessionally have made it very difficult to do what we know is best for us and seize great opportunities. The same goes for moving forward with a positive vs. a negative attitude. None of us are in precisely the same situation as the OP, or anyone else, but I believe most of the people who have given Temp advice have a great deal of empathy and have had some experiences that are similar enough to give her good suggestions on what she might expect and how she might overcome some of her fears. I have a great deal of anxiety about being treated poorly by certain professionals, based on my own experiences, so I feel qualified to share some suggestions, even though we're not in the exact same boat. There are plenty of subjects I have no business advising people on. Temp's free to evaluate the advice she's offered and take it or leave it, of course. :)

Well, I'm through. Not quite unscathed though.

Security was funneling everyone through the nudy scanners. I objected, and one of the guards gave me a spiel about how the scanner wasn't harmful and such. He said he was required to say it every time. They seem to be trying very hard to discourage people from objecting.

I stuck to my principles though. When faced with such an enemy, the least I can do is tie up resources and make them expend extra effort. It's The Great Escape philosophy. Besides, the pervy scanner would most likely reveal my unique anatomy, and make them grope me anyway.

So, I was led into a little frosted glass booth, and groped by one woman while another watched. She didn't stick her hands down my pants, but she did feel around my breasts, and my groin while saying the words "sweeping motion", and "high into the thigh". A rather creepy mantra. No genital touching, fortunately.

My secret remained safe. It was done, and they left me alone in the booth to gather my items. To further express how stupid the whole situation is, the booth contained unlocked tool chests, and other peoples' baggage. Any of which I could have easily grabbed and taken onto a plane. They didn't even send me through a metal detector, so I could have easily smuggled something in my underwear.

After a boring flight and a terrifying drive, I'm now in my hotel. I interview tomorrow, then head back home in the evening. Only two more scary parts left.

Thanks everyone.

I'm so glad that part was successful, Temp. I think what you accomplished is terrific.

All the best with the interview and safe travels home. :rose:

My secret remained safe. It was done, and they left me alone in the booth to gather my items. To further express how stupid the whole situation is, the booth contained unlocked tool chests, and other peoples' baggage. Any of which I could have easily grabbed and taken onto a plane. They didn't even send me through a metal detector, so I could have easily smuggled something in my underwear.

Yeah, there's a reason they call it "security theater". A commercial pilot friend of mine told me that if he was still working in the USA, he'd get a cockpit firearms permit - not because he wants to carry a gun, just because pilots with that permit get to skip the search process.

My objection to those scanners is not the nudie issue. I just don't trust the official interpretation of the radiation risk. So, I always end up getting frisked, especially at bigger airports when they seem to be running everyone through the scanners. On rare occasions, this frisking involves some bad vibes from an agent who had to make a "special" detour from a busy line to do the frisking. And, the male-on-male frisking tends to go pretty high in the crotch. I don't care about that, because I know at least one person was successful in boarding a plane with explosives in their underwear, but I understand that other people might be much more sensitive to this invasion of privacy.

Well, I'm through. Not quite unscathed though.

Security was funneling everyone through the nudy scanners. I objected, and one of the guards gave me a spiel about how the scanner wasn't harmful and such. He said he was required to say it every time. They seem to be trying very hard to discourage people from objecting.

I stuck to my principles though. When faced with such an enemy, the least I can do is tie up resources and make them expend extra effort. It's The Great Escape philosophy. Besides, the pervy scanner would most likely reveal my unique anatomy, and make them grope me anyway.

So, I was led into a little frosted glass booth, and groped by one woman while another watched. She didn't stick her hands down my pants, but she did feel around my breasts, and my groin while saying the words "sweeping motion", and "high into the thigh". A rather creepy mantra. No genital touching, fortunately.

After a boring flight and a terrifying drive, I'm now in my hotel. I interview tomorrow, then head back home in the evening. Only two more scary parts left.

Thanks everyone.

The interview went fine, and I seemed to impress everyone. It was a pretty huge waste of time on my end though. Three different people interviewed me, and not one knew exactly what I would be doing, or even approximately how much money I could expect. And they only asked generic questions. It was conducted in an office set up exclusively for interviews, so there was nothing to see either. The whole thing took less than an hour, and could have been done over the phone.

I got molested again on the way back. Once again they were trying to make everyone go through the nudie scanners. It was mostly the same experience. Not something I ever want to do again. Especially not for an unknown job at an unknown salary in a location I didn't like.

Coati, the remaining scanners are safe from a physical standpoint. They don't use ionizing radiation, and thus cannot cause cellular or DNA damage. The x-ray kind are definitely dangerous however. When the company insists they're safe, and then refuses to let the operators wear dosimeters, something is very horribly wrong. The same goes for the x-ray baggage machines. Stay as far away from them as you can.

Coati, the remaining scanners are safe from a physical standpoint. They don't use ionizing radiation, and thus cannot cause cellular or DNA damage. The x-ray kind are definitely dangerous however. When the company insists they're safe, and then refuses to let the operators wear dosimeters, something is very horribly wrong. The same goes for the x-ray baggage machines. Stay as far away from them as you can.

Given TSA's history of storing detailed nude images with the old scanners and denying it, I'm not inclined to trust them now.

This article from a former TSA agent makes for interesting reading: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/01/tsa-screener-confession-102912.html#.UuvynnewIX0

The TSA have proven themselves to be lying bastards yes. And they deserve no trust whatsoever. But I do trust physics. If the scanners do indeed operate on the terahertz frequency, then I consider them safe. I still refuse to enter one though. Civil rights, privacy, and the scanner probably would have outed me, and resulted in an even more intensive molesting. They're probably still recording the images too.

Glad your trip went well :) My own experience last year from the UK to Moscow was uneventful but no body scanners at the terminal. I make it a matter of pride to ensure I don't set off the metal detectors - no coins, watch, pins, buckles...
Yup scanners are safe enough radiation wise but a transatlantic flight means you get a 'natural' x-ray dose equivalent to a hospital chest x-ray from the altitude.
I spoke to a commercial pilot who'd had his nail-clippers taken off him :) He didn't point out to the security that there is a massive axe in the cockpit :D

I have heard some bad stories about USA airport security - the rest of us are not used to saying Yes Sir as a matter of course with officials :)

Temp and Sticky,

I was not aware that it had been definitively proven that the newer microwave scanning technologies do not have any effect on biological systems. Being a skeptical luddite, I'll probably keep avoiding this technology, as well as holding a cell phone next to my brain for long periods each day. I do appreciate that others are willing to act as experimental subjects for these new technologies.

The cranky grandpa,
Coati

Back