Seek High-Class Ladies with Prim Proper Public Image but Indecent Improper Private Needs

Bump for Gilda

(A handsome, charming, Argentine man approaches Gilda and Johnny at the dining table.)

Gilda: Hello.
Argentine man: Good evening, senorita. (he turns to face Johnny and with impeccably polite manners requests) I would like to ask permission to dance with your lady?

Bump for Gilda

Johnny: The answer's no.
Gilda: The answer's yes. I'd love it.
Argentine man: But the young man just said no.
Gilda: The young man would love it too but he can't afford it.

Bump for Gilda

(Gilda's husband returns from his meeting with the two Germans but sees that his wife is missing from the dining table. When Johnny informs him Gilda is dancing with the Argentine, Johnny is ordered by her husband to go get her and bring her back to him.)

Johnny (having approached Gilda on the dance floor): Pardon me but your husband is showing.

Bump for Gilda

Gilda (to Argentine man): Oh. Thank you (for the dance). Perhaps again sometime.
Argentine man: Until that sometime, I shall only miserably exist, senora.
Gilda (now facing Johnny): I always say there's something about Latin men. For one thing, they can dance. For another thing - (she teasingly does not finish her remark.)

Bump for Gilda

Gilda (to Argentine man): What's your telephone number? Oh, never mind. I'll give you mine.

(Gilda says something in Spanish to the Argentine man and then walks toward her husband waiting at the table but Johnny stops her before she can reach him.)

Johnny: What did you say to him?
Gilda: I just told him if a man answers, hang up. Wasn't that all right?

Bump for Gilda

Johnny: You can't talk to men down here the way you would at home. They don't understand it.
Gilda: Understand what?
Johnny: They think you mean it.
Gilda: Mean what?

Bump for Gilda

Johnny: Doesn't it bother you at all that you're married?
Gilda: What I want to know is, does it bother you?

Bump for Gilda

(Johnny returns Gilda to her husband waiting at the dining table.)

Gilda (to her husband): I'm beginning to think I've misjudged your Johnny. He can be quite sweet, so protective.
Husband: Johnny takes care of all the things that belong to me. He runs the joint.
Gilda: Hear that, Johnny? You're to take care of me because I belong to the boss. How will you like that?

Back