Feedback needed on my story's genre category. Will I get schtick?

Voyeurkenneth

Peeping
1.) Will I still get schtick for the following being too close to incest?

I'm clearly writing a voyeur story about a young 20s guy who spies on a woman that is engaged to his blood-related uncle. The main character also spies on said woman with his other blood-related male family members.

Overall, the relationship between the main character and the female is a 'pending aunt-in-law/pending nephew-in-law', which is a term I feel I've had to emphasize in order to distance this from an incest story. More importantly, the main character won't ever have sex with a blood-related family member in my story.

Otherwise, I'm thinking my story squarely belongs in voyeur/exhibitionist category.

2.) Additionally, I have a non-sex dialogue scene where an underage kid unintentionally distracts the main character from spying on the woman having sex with an adult male. Will this particular usage of the underage kid get flagged?

To be clear, the kid won't be in direct contact with any sex scene and doesn't know it's happening. My function for him in the scene is to merely distract the main character from getting into a spying position.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've written most of the story out and I'm trying to avoid reconciling things that have a cascading effect across chapters.😰

Incest is sex between blood relations. I wrote a story where a father-in-law and daughter-in-law fall in love and get married (after both their spouses are killed in the same accident).

I put it in I/T - mostly as (after my ill-advised flirting with the category way back) it was the only way I was going to tick the I/T category. But it’s taboo, not incest. Same with you.

Re the child, the devil is in the detail. I’ve only ever included children in one story - which was about their parents - and never had any of them within a mile of a sexual situation.

It sounds innocuous, but hard to tell. Add a note to Laurel at the end saying your intent is not to have them portrayed in a sexual situation (or aware of it).

Come to think of it, in that story, the MMC’s 8yo daughter interrupts him stroking with a cam girl, but the bedroom door is locked, and this is not described in a sexual way, rather showing how messed up about sex the MMC is after his wife died (the cam girl looks a bit like his wife). This was published with no problems, then I think Laurel thinks of me as a mostly good girl by now.

Em

Last edited:
If you have good tags on your story... hopefully that will be a good guide for people to find your story, rather than the category alone.

I am new here... and admit I find the category decision debates rather frustrating. Obviously there are a lot of readers of this site that are very rigid on their views of what should/should not be in a particular category... and yet - stories can cross so many categories! Personally if I found a story and its content matter wasn't my cup of tea, I wouldn't care if it was in a category I'd been searching in, I'd just move on...

Just agreeing with the general consensus; doesn't sound like incest at all and in fact would probably piss off the I/T crowd if you put it there.

E/V is the way to go; they're a lovely bunch there. It'll do fine.

Also agree the kid plot point is fine but put in a note for Laurel explicitly pointing it out and explaining it's not sexual.

She might just spot "kid" or "child" and flag it immediately otherwise.

Back