Favourite Character Creation

Brutal_One

Really Really Experienced
All of you authors / writers out there will have created many interesting characters in your stories, you know the ones thar are fully fledged out with a backstory history and something that makes the fit perfectly into the current plot storyline.

i am back writing after a bit of a break. In short I missed the creative outlet writing provides. I have started a new novel series but with reference to my first 27 part novel. The main character Emel Asokay is one featured and introduced in the latter part of the first novel.

She is a character I loved creating so with a richer background to her character from the first novel she is exciting to write about.

What similar character have you created that in particular loved bringing to life on the page and why?

Brutal One

I give every character I create (in my serious writing) a short backstory and a couple of key aspects to their personality that motivates them to act in one way or another. After that, I usually let things develop quite organically - and by the end of a story, they're highly complex, and sometimes even act in a way that I had not originally planned because "That's what their character would do in this scenario". 😅

But I have a rather brutal rule that I enforce upon myself. One that requires discipline. If I get far too attached to a character of mine.. I must kill them off. It's for the greater good. And I find that the emotional turmoil it takes on me translates greatly onto the page, which means the reader is in for a wild ride. Therefore I cannot name a character specifically; They're already transpired.

In my erotic writing? I get far less attached. If I had to pick a favourite I'd go with Beatrice from 'Please Remember Me Tomorrow' - not because she's particularly fleshed out, really. But exactly the opposite. You only see a glimpse of her, but that brief look rattles me, both for better and for worse.

All of you authors / writers out there will have created many interesting characters in your stories, you know the ones thar are fully fledged out with a backstory history and something that makes the fit perfectly into the current plot storyline.

i am back writing after a bit of a break. In short I missed the creative outlet writing provides. I have started a new novel series but with reference to my first 27 part novel. The main character Emel Asokay is one featured and introduced in the latter part of the first novel.

She is a character I loved creating so with a richer background to her character from the first novel she is exciting to write about.

What similar character have you created that in particular loved bringing to life on the page and why?

Brutal One
I think probably Emma from my Angels & Demons stories. She’s just so much fun to write. She was originally conceived as my id. But has rather developed since then. A demon with a heart of platinum.

Em

My more recent favourite characters are Ruby, from
Garter Belts and Cigarettes (and its two sequels)
and Jenny, who gets her own story in
We Deliver all Things - Jenny (and a sequel).

Neither of them have any of the back story or history of which you speak. Of Ruby, I know only what's in the three stories, so the reader knows as much about her as I do.

Jenny is modelled on a friend of my daughter and a waitress at my local café, so I've got a little more insight into her.

I've never once done character sheets and all of that stuff - I get to know my characters as a story progresses.

Mark and Megan from Siblings with Benefits.

Abigail Lefay and Nicole "fill in the last name based on whatever fake credentials she's using"

The first a witch, the second an ex black ops agent turned killer for hire. Both dangerous femme fatales who at a young age were victims of men, and have spent the rest of their lives killing them.

I think of the sorry male readership-and some male forum members-every time I write them. They exist to make the incels squeal even more.

Lily, from my Loving Lily series, because she's fun and uncomplicated: just a girl enjoying the spring sunshine and lots of sex.

And Avilia and Sligh, from The Rivals. By themselves they're OK, but when they're together they just seem to work. I've been struggling with part 5 for weeks, because they're doing separate things. Just this morning I decided to scrap that idea and do a complete rewrite where they join up much sooner.

Up until now I'd have to say it might be Lucius from "Death and the Maiden".

But I'm working on something right now and... well. I think I might have a new favourite.

Every single one of my characters has been precious to me at one time or another. I’m like Devinter with some key differences. I can take care of a character to whom I’m attached by getting them to the necessary end of each story. I’m as attached to them as I need to be, no more and no less. Sometimes stepping away from them requires their death or arrest. At other times they just go to sleep for a while, or keep having sex while the screen fades to black; or give another character a look of anticipation and that character accepts the offer, then fade to black. Or I leave them doing something necessary like standing at a gate or fighting an army of aliens or whatever. Every time it is scripted and appropriate to the story. Sometimes I am led by the character to a different end than I had planned, but that’s nice too. Always good to let your creativity grow.

Additional note- I do write fanfic, so the stories of many of my borrowed characters are already laid out to some degree. But that doesn’t mean I can’t fix up their lives a bit here and there or give them extra spice on occasion. The characters I write are not the people on whom they are based. They’re echoes in my parody ficverse. I have yet to meet any discerning reader who doesn’t understand that. Or at least if I have, they’re keeping silent or stating their displeasure and moving on. Sometimes I address the issues, sometimes I remind them it’s my work. Either way it’s good.

I have to say, writing is strange. I probably fell in love with Jett from "My Pretend Sex Slave," but only after life bit her back a little. I may have a soft spot for beautiful, talented woman who steamroll through life, but fall apart on occasion. Maybe I'm in love with the women from my life that she is pulled from, and not a figment of my imagination.

I have several running faves at the moment, and a million and one of them stretched across the internet. I regularly spend way too much time creating characters and fleshing them out so extensively they might as well be real people and in a lot of ways, if I'm super attached, even after I end a story I'll probably just write things with them for fun and to let them out of my mental waiting room.

My standing favorite FMC on site is Charlotte Sayavong, a sweet-natured, enormously enduring post-apocalyptic survivor currently catching real hell in my long running post-apoc series. I've given her the promise of a happy ending because fuck do I owe it to her. Off site I'll run with my scrappy lesbian Mandalorian OC (Star Wars universe) Aquila Greyling, who is perhaps the baddest bitch I have ever written, and also an obnoxious sweetheart under her rough and tough exterior.

My standing favorite male characters would be Daniel Castiglia, also from the same series as Charlotte, who is perhaps one of my most complicated characters to write with because he is mute. Writing him relies a lot on short patterns of thought that I make readable through expression and action. And offsite would be Charles "Cheshire" Black, a cheeky mischievous fae asshole hailing from the traditional Unseelie Court. I've transferred him all over since his creation in my late teens, and will probably write on him at some point here on Literotica as well.

With only seven stories under my belt I have three characters that run neck and neck as my favorites. The first two two are Jerry and Londy(London) Amstell from the two part(so far) story, 'Jerry and Londy, A Lifelong Bond". They are siblings with a lifelong, unidentifiable bond that abruptly turns sexual in their final years in college. They are distinct individuals, but when they are together they sort of act as one, acting alike, feeling the same about things and so on. Their mother understands and accepts that there is something special between them, but their father struggles with it, wanting a better explanation than 'it's just how they are'.

My third favorite is Raven Bledsoe from 'Scratching An Itch". She is an extremely intelligent high school teacher whose first priority in life is educating her students to to the best of her abilities. Her second priority is a full and satisfying sex life. Her partner of choice is one of her male students with whom she can trade roles as light dom and sub. She meets her match in Jonathan Ramsey, a member of her graduating class who needs little instruction in taking the reins and giving her what she needs. She finds Jonathan is much like herself in not having much affinity for romantic love, but more for adventurous sex.

On the backside, Raven discovers that the relationships she had with women in college, and gave up to concentrate on her studies, were more than just curious dalliances. She finally admits to herself that she is bi and always has been. So much so, she finally gives in to the advances of her best friend and fellow teacher, Kit Mitchell, who has been itching to get into Raven's pants since the day they met. Somewhat like Raven, Kit enjoys dipping into the female side of the student pool.

Brutal One
I loved bringing John Faranger to life on the page because he represented something deep inside me that only re-emerged a few years ago, with my first erotica novel. I felt that he was vividly portrayed, but have lately begun to suspect that I may have been counting on my readers reading my mind. (Should that have been readers' with an apostrophe?)

(Should that have been readers' with an apostrophe?)
Only if you're using a pretty much obsolete rule that it should be a possessive (essentially: "counting on the reading of my mind by my readers", as opposed to, "counting on my readers to read my mind").

While I create character backstories for every story, the ones most fully developed are Kate, Amy and Ben from the On the Side series. Each have their own personalities and motivations, which I think comes out in the writing.

My favorite, though, is Beth from The Waif and the Wall. She's far from fully fleshed-out, but she's such a tiny, feisty powerhouse you can't help but like her. Readers seem to agree... that little story is one of my most favorited.

Susan from Shotgun started as 8 lines and was almost comic book villain awful in one story and evolved into a character I wrote a sympathetic story on.

I would say my favorite character to invent was a semi-genius who admits to being 'on the spectrum'. That is Bas in my 'Gotta pay the Piper' series. He is a man who has struggled all his life to be accepted and work within society, but that is not part of the plot. It is merely his character.
At one point I have his girlfriend who is submissive at heart r at least needs structure in her life, say 'I am what I am."
Bas responds with "I Yam what I yam and that is all that I yam." a line out of the Popeye cartoons. He goes on to explain how his father got a full set of the old cartoons to help his autistic son accept who and what he is.
I brought him back in "My Mother Owns Me" to meet the MC there whose family owns a confectionery business. Bas begins to sing the song from Willie Wonka, the Candyman can because he mixes it with love etc. The MC remembers his own father (who he never knew) singing that to him as a tiny kid.

I do find I enjoy getting to know my characters as I write them, which is far more true of my erotic writing than anything else I write. I suppose I should figure out why that is and try to apply whatever it is to my other writing. Although I suspect it's the sex.

The character who comes to mind, not sure she's my overall favorite, but maybe my latest favorite, is Lily from my Vacation with the Marshals series. She shows up in part 3 and I've been sort of slowly giving her a more active role. Part 5 that I'm working on now gives her a lot of attention. I think the fact that she kind of starts on the fringes and slowly gets involved is making her more interesting to me.

I'm most fond of Suzanne, cooped up in her small midwestern town, far more intellectually engaged than her husband and his gang of friends. I suspect if I submitted this tale now (eight years later) LW would not give it the same relatively generous reception.

Sophy Eastern the paleographer likewise was hemmed in while practicing a mostly male profession. Her new paramour described her: 'She spoke with an animation and energy that is rare in a profession that tends towards pedantry and is dominated by desiccated old men with archaic sensibilities.'

One that I've recently created and so hasn't yet been published. She's a petite scouser with a Liverpool season ticket and an attitude. Feisty, tough, witty and very sexy, she's the product of a deprived council estate who ends up embroiled in a world of privilege - luxury apartments, jewellery, perfumes, limousines, Dior dresses, lunch at the Savoy, shopping in Harrods. Writing about her and her exploits is a delight.

Anyone wants examples of significant characters from my ficverse, here goes-

- Doug Ramsay. An introvert who overcomes his autism the way I never have and gets lucky enough to evolve into a successful entrepreneur and Casanova. Still a genuine nice guy, though, never lets it go to his head.

- Lisa Coleman. Doug’s best friend with benefits slash therapist, a bossy redhead biker with mean martial arts skills. She focuses him and helps him embrace the swinging lifestyle, then helps him through depression even though they can’t always be together by allowing ethical non-monogamy they both enjoy. They stay together despite the issues of that.

- Various friends of the couple, virtually all based on people I wish I knew. In real life, I’m still the shy introvert who has to take what I get from the world and enjoy it best I can. Lisa is a figment of my soul that I can’t put in reality and I know better than to delude myself into thinking it should be otherwise. There’s no fantasy writer God enabling this world in a way I can direct. I just have faith the real one is on my side and proceed accordingly. [knocks on wood]

Of all my characters, Eleanor is my favorite. I wasn't even planning on making her the main character of CC but I like writing her best, so it happened that she got the most POV sections. I'm working on a character piece for her now, instead, and I like it even better.

She is essentially the perfect wife for me.

So many of my characters! The three Nguyen sisters from We're a Wonderful Wife, Lanh, Tam, and Kim-ly. I love them completely, I think they're my best rounded characters

Then there's the magical retired marine perpetually in heat, Maxine from Amorous Goods - Black Pearls. Maxine was born in 1901 and has fought in every war her country has had, and no one seems to think that's weird. She looks like a cougar in her 40's with a body in her 20s and a libido in her 30s. She's been there, done that and no one around her sees anything odd about that. She just appears and disappears as needed.

Poor Steve Anderson from Saturday Evening, he finally found love only to have her murdered after they return from their honeymoon. He will win in the end, oh yes he will!

EVERYONE in Enchantress. It started to be a one off, a Geek Pride celebration of Discworld and I fell so deeply in love with each character that I just can't stop. Nick and Octavia Worblehat-Stein are my anti-heros, they're just trying to be the best that they can be and Terry Pratchett's silly Discworld throws more and more crazy at them. Nick told their story best at the Hogswatch dinner:

Just so you know, I want you to hear it from me, Octavia and I are not royalty, we’re not from hoity toity royal families. I was born a gutter rat in the shades of Ankh-Morpork and I put my father in prison, Octavia is the daughter of Klatchian slaves. Twenty years ago I was barely smarter than the bricks I was stealing. Then one day a young female wizard hired me to carry her luggage as she set out to save the eight little baby world turtles that were following us through space. One thing led to another, I got an education, I became a witch, and we ended up in Creel Springs where we were married.

And that's just the start of the story. I hope their Winter Holiday story "Hogswatch" brings a tear of joy to a few eyes. Enchantress 5 is 75% done and as every novelist will tell you, 85% of the work is in that last 25%. Enchantress 6 will be the end of the series... or maybe it's the start, it's hard to tell with Octavia, the most powerful magical creature in the universe who takes pride in teaching her 4 year old daughter how to milk a goat.

Josh Gravely and Veronica von Köster from Stormwatch. They explore everything from workplace romance (during a blizzard) to Veterans PTSD with a crossover thrown in for fun and the sexiest way to keep score in 8 Ball you ever saw. Try STORMWATCH - A BLIZZARD IN BUFFALO, you'll love it.

Edited to reflect that there is no former marines, Maxine is a retired marine

Last edited:
My third story ever here was about an older gentleman who put an ad online looking to pay a woman to watch him masturbate.

A young redheaded college girl named Jenna responded.

And my first character crush was born.

Jenna is near and dear to me, and over the course of the series I've fleshed out her story; a shy young woman with some past bad dating experiences and lack of self esteem who discovered she had both a voyeur and exhibitionist streak.

As her relationship has grown with the MMC, so has her confidence and boldness. But she's not reliant on him for it either. She's slowly found it within herself.

More recently; I wrote a story inspired by a joke between myself and @EmilyMiller about a guy who sold his soul to "the Devil" and needed to have sex with a beautiful young virgin nun to win it back.

In that story I created a character named Cozbi, a She-Demon from Hell who was posing as The Devil.

As I was writing her, a backstory came to mind that, for various reasons simply wouldn't fit in the original story.

But it intrigued me enough to eventually write Cozbi's origin story; the story of a how a woman murdered by religious zealots over 2000 years ago went on to become one of Hells top agents.

Much like Emily's Demon character "Emma," Cozbi has quite the sassy and often wicked personality.

During the writing of our mutual stories, Emily and I even decided Emma and Cozbi knew each other and, frankly, didn't get along.

I have a third part on the burner as well at some point.

Back