Extended Author's Notes for "A Flirting Workshop With My Sister"

8letters

Writing
The story of the story
The idea for this story came from an email exchange with my friend TM. I had sent him the scene from “Carpooling With My Sister” where a co-worker tells Jackson about seeing Ginny at a bar, and he was giving his reaction to it. And then on 5/20/20, he tossed in:
To my mind, this SNL sketch would make for an awesome brother-sister scene.

The premise is that the sister tells her brother that she's no good at flirting with guys. The brother asks her why not. She says she just can't do it, that she's doing all the wrong things. "What wrong things?" "Well, let me act it out".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwfVaehcdfE
The sketch is “Weekend Update: Rebecca Larue the Flirting Expert”, and it’s Kristen Wiig flirting with Seth Meyers in odd, over-the-top ways.

I replied:
I'd think it'd work better if the brother says something like "I wish you'd stop flirting with my friends when they come over. You're terrible at flirting." The sister gets offended and starts flirting with the brother to show that she's a good flirter. And the real reason the brother wanted his sister to stop flirting with his friends was that he has a thing for her that he's been fighting to suppress and her flirting with his friends was making him jealous. And the sister was flirting with his friends because she knew she was making him jealous and liked it.

Nothing more happened, but the idea of a sister flirting with her brother was stuck in my head. At this point, my feelings towards flirting was that a sister wouldn’t flirt with her brother unless they are close to crossing the line because it would be such a high-risk activity for her. Sisters shouldn’t flirt with brothers as that’s something you should only do with someone you might date. If her brother rejected her flirting and mentioned it to her parents, it’d be very embarrassing for her.

Three months later on 8/28, I came up with the first scene for the story. I wrote it down and sent it to TM to get it out of my head. The brother and sister were originally named “Renee” and “Keith”. Then the sister’s name was “Hayden”. This was during the period when I was waiting for responses from my beta-readers for “Carpooling With My Sister”. The working title was “My Sister The Flirter”.

At this point, the plot I had for the story was the sister flirts with her brother’s friends several times, something happens, and the brother and sister fuck like bunnies after declaring their love for each other. During this time, I came across this image on Instagram:
attachment.php

I loved the image, and it became the inspiration of Eli watching Z and Katharine on the stairs.

On the AH, we've had discussions about how quickly you'd recognize a family member. My position is that you'd recognize them almost right away in almost any circumstance. So it's my opinion that Eli would have recognized Z almost right away, but he chose to not recognize her right away.

The story really took off for me when I came up with the idea of the flirting workshop. The flirting workshop really struck me as the pure male fantasy - several pretty girls taking turns flirting with the male main character. Throw in the girls wearing sex outfits as they flirt and my, oh, my.

The first idea I came up with for the ending was:
Katharine would talk Hayden into going on a double date with her brother over Thanksgiving. The four would go out for dinner and movie, and then Katharine talked her brother into going to someplace where they could watch the submarine races. Katharine makes out with Keith in the back while Hayden makes out with Katharine's brother in the front. At some point, Katharine yells "Switch!" and the two girls switch. Keith winds up fucking Hayden while Katharine fucks her brother. The next day, Hayden and Keith have a long talk and decide they want to keep being lovers.
I decided the "Switch!" thing didn't work. Why would Katharine want to do it? Why would Hayden agree to do it? Why wouldn't one of the guys say, "Hey! I was fine with who I was with." As an idea for getting a brother and sister to cross the line, it failed.

A few days later, I came up what would become the ending, kind of sort of. I also decided to change the characters’ names. As I was trying to come up with back story for the brother’s ex-girlfriend, I came up with the idea of her being “Z”, the first initial of her last name. I found the idea so appealing that I decided to use that name for the sister. I then searched for the longest Polish last name that started with “Z”. With such a long last name, I thought the male character should have a short first name to try to keep the name within the limits of the name field on bubble tests.

I worked steadily on the story while finalizing “Carpooling With My Sister” and publishing it. I was making good progress on the story by mid-October. But then I hit several stumbling blocks.

At this point, the final sex scene was a threesome with Eli, Z and Katharine. I felt like that was the logical conclusion to the story. There was too much sexual tension between Eli and Katharine to just let slide, and, in the scene prior to the threesome (which I thought was amazingly hot), I had Z and Katharine tell Eli how Katharine convinced Z that she had feelings for her brother and should act on those feelings.

I was having problems with the scene prior to the threesome. In that scene, Z talks while Eli makes out with Katharine, and then Katharine talks while Z makes out with Eli. Normally, I describe the person talking doing the action. I didn’t think my normal style of writing was clearly getting across the action. I created a thread about the issue in the Author’s Hangout here.

I was also having problems visualizing what I wanted to have happen in the threesome. The hardest sex scene for me to write is plain vanilla sex in a bed between two people after they’ve declared their love for each other. It’s hard for me as in the prospect of writing such a scene is very demotivating for me. I’ve reached the point that when I’m considering whether to write a story idea, I avoid the ones that end in a plain vanilla sex between two people in a bed after they’ve declared their love for each other. The prospect of writing two plain vanilla in-a-bed fucks didn’t excite me.

Oh, yeah, and at this point covid hit. Net result, I didn’t feel like writing for a while, and I didn’t feel like writing more on this story for a very long time. Also at this point, I had "My Mom Competes With My Stepmom" partially written as well.

Before Christmas, 2020, I wrote TM:
I decided this morning to stop "My Sister The Flirter" after they've had sex for the first time. I've been writing the scene the leads up to Z, Eli and Katharine having a threesome, and it's just not working. The scene in my head is hot, but I don't think I'm getting it across well.

So the writing plan is to get that ready to publish and then finish "My Mom Competes With My Stepmom".

But I wasn’t in the mood to write until February, and then I decided to finish “My Mom Competes With My Stepmom”. I published it on 5/17/21.

In June, 2021, I picked back up this story. At some point prior to June, I had tried to write the threesome scene. Eli was going to have anal sex with Z and then vaginal sex with Katharine. I had a lot of butt play before the anal sex. After a while, I thought the whole “Eli loves Z’s ass” part of the scene was just too long. I decided to end the story after Z and Eli have sex in the hot tub. I’d save the rest for a possible sequel.

By this time, I had decided to rename the story, “A Flirting Workshop With My Sister”. I want my titles to entice the reader to click on them. As the most enticing element in the story to me was the flirting workshop, I decided to move that into the title. I had gotten feedback from several people earlier, and I made some major changes to the story. In the original version, Z basically disappears during the workshop. I decided to have her flirt with Eli as an example, keeping her in the action during that part of the story. I also reworked the hot tube scene, making it much longer. At this point, I was working with lilshymynx on the story, and she was giving me a lot of great feedback. I did lots of reworking of the story. This is probably my most reworked story.

Finally in August, the story was ready to send out to beta-readers. I sent it out, got good feedback from them and then…didn’t do anything with it. I just didn’t feel in the mood to review the feedback.

Instead, I did some other things. I did a bunch of statistical analysis of Lesbian Sex stories on Literotica, such as this. I got into college football. I wrote 8 Lit pages of a story that I’ll probably never finish which is based on the opening scene of silkstockingslover’s "Daughter's Initiation into Incest". I wrote most of a story I’ll probably publish next, “In The Sauna With Sis and Her BFF”.

As I was getting close to finishing “In The Sauna With Sis and Her BFF”, I realized I needed to finish this story. I read through the feedback, made changes to the story, sent it off to my editor, banged in his suggestions, and the submitted it for publication.

Thoughts related to the story
What I think of the story
It’s a good but not great story. It’s back to my usual “Really nice brother helps sister who has issues and falls in love with her” story. It’s not a “tight” story. It’s longer than it should be as there’s a lot of time spent with minor characters (Landon, Dmitri, Rob, Vivek, Giselle, Laurie, Valerie) who have very little impact on the story. I don’t think the flirting workshop will be as appealing to my readers as I thought it would be when I first conceived it as most of it is Eli flirting and making out with minor characters. I like the message that women shouldn’t be groped. I think the final sex scene is one of my better ones. I hope readers feel that they are in the hot tub watching Z and Eli.

Brother-sister relationships at college
When I wrote “My Sister Set Me Up on a Blind Date”, I assumed that it’d be a summer-only relationship. And then it got lots of comments about how the reader wanted a sequel where Todd and Ashlynne continued their relationship at college. How would they do that? Ashlynne would be living in the dorms, and Todd would have an apartment with someone else. I’ve thought a lot about brothers and sisters keeping their relationship going at college, and it would be very, very difficult to do so. What Z proposed is the best I can come up with if they are living in the dorms.

Katharine
I find it very hot the idea of an evil friend talking an innocent girl into having sex with her brother. At the same time, the sex with the brother would have to start a long-term relationship. This story is one take on that. “In The Sauna With Sis and Her BFF” will be another take on that. I really love the character of Katharine. When I think about how the story plays out years later, Katharine marries Eli and continues to share him with her BFF Z.

Why I didn’t give Z a bigger chest
One of my resolutions as a writer is to make my FMC’s busty only if the story calls for it. 34C’s are above average size and would certainly get guys’ attention. But I wanted guys to be drawn to Z because of her flirting, not her tits.

Last edited:
I applaud you for taking the time and effort to do this. Some may not care, but I personally find it very interesting to read about another author's creative process--how they do it, what motivates them, their schedule, etc. I've read most of your blog and find it interesting even when your approach is different from mine. Maybe BECAUSE it's different from mine. I think we all have our own unique way of approaching the art of writing.

This will be the extended Author’s Notes for a story that hasn’t been published yet. The extended Author’s Notes will be the equivalent of the author notes in the last few pages after a novel is finished. I’ll update this post with the extended Author’s Notes a little before the story is published.

This will be the tenth time I’ve posted extended Author’s Notes for a story in the Story Feedback forum. I typically get some questions about what I’m doing. I’ll try to save time by answering those questions now:
* I’m posting the extended Author’s Notes now because I want to have a link in my story to them. The only links you can have in a LitE story is to something on the LitE site
* Someone suggested I post the extended Author’s Notes after the story is published and then post the link to it as a comment. There are two problems with that: (1) a lot of readers don’t read comments and I want all readers to see the link to the extended Author’s Notes and (2) it’s not unusual for my stories to get over one hundred comments, so my comment with the link will likely get lost among the other comments
* I’m posting the extended Author’s Notes in the Story Feedback forum because I am hoping readers will leave comments about the story after they’ve read them

This is a great idea. Can you describe the mechanics of putting a link in a story to submit? I'm brand new to writing and have never make a link before.

This is a great idea. Can you describe the mechanics of putting a link in a story to submit? I'm brand new to writing and have never make a link before.
It helps if you know basic HTML. Here is a discussion of the A tag. The HTML to this thread is:
<a href=https://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1560389>my extended Author's Notes</a>

If you did the same thing, you need to replace the "1560389" with the number of your thread.

Going to echo Simon that I give you props for putting the effort into these behind the scenes type posts here, and I guess you do it on your blog.

What's always stopped me from doing this is one-and to a lesser degree-I feel like it could come across as arrogant, like people would say "you think you're that good, people want to know this?" That's not a shot at you, its how I feel if I were to do it.

The main thing is time. I look at the work you put into these posts, the blog, your graphs, and I'm like...I could have written a story in this time.

But everyone's schedules are different, mine currently doesn't have the wiggle room to indulge, or perhaps you do this when your muse may not be in an uproar to write.

But again, credit for the work you put in, and treating these stories more seriously than a lot of people do. Writing is work and it shows in some of the things you post here.

But everyone's schedules are different, mine currently doesn't have the wiggle room to indulge, or perhaps you do this when your muse may not be in an uproar to write.
My writing muse takes frequent breaks for up to months. Or more correctly, I frequently have long stretches where I don't feel in the mood to write. Writing the author notes is something I greatly enjoy, so I can crank them out when I'm not in the mood to write.

But again, credit for the work you put in, and treating these stories more seriously than a lot of people do. Writing is work and it shows in some of the things you post here.
Thank you for the wonderful compliment.

I voted 5 stars. I really enjoyed reading it.

I think you should write an Epilogue, though. I had an "Oh shit" moment after reading the last little text exchange section. It left me wondering what Katherine might do with that information.
Thanks,
Dave

I voted 5 stars. I really enjoyed reading it.

I think you should write an Epilogue, though. I had an "Oh shit" moment after reading the last little text exchange section. It left me wondering what Katherine might do with that information.
Thanks,
Dave
I think now that my decision to end the story when I did was the wrong one. I thought people would be intrigued by the mysterious ending, but a lot of readers took it to mean that Z's seduction of Eli was all a game between her and Katharine. I should have held off publishing it until I came up with a better idea for the threesome scene. Now, I have one.

Back