Ermahgerd, Christmers

That sounds delightful. They do something similar on a fountain pen site. (The note, that is, not a funny wallet.)

I think we should do it! I'll be the first to write a note and send the wallet to whomever wants it.

Sigh. My boys demanded the moon. But if I learned anything from Nate's birthday in October, nothing will satisfy them. There were Christmases back in the day when I couldn't afford a single gift for them, now they're spoiled beyond reason. Nate looked at his stack of gifts and he said ".......That's not enough...." ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? He got everything he asked for and then some!

Anyway, short story long I'm trying not to go overboard with them this year but they're still getting everything they asked for. :mad: I can't find a happy medium. Shopping for them has been a breeze, it's everyone else I'm struggling with.
My kids never got quite that far, but it started to. We adopted a family for Christmas. They had kids same ages as mine. The more my kids got to know them the more they wanted to take from their own stash and give to them. We met the family when we went to deliver the gifts and it was amazing to watch my kids become so humbled. We stayed in touch for a few years and they still talk about it to this day. I got to see a part of my kids that I never would have otherwise.

What were some of the best crafts you've tried?

One Christmas a couple of years ago I got a quart of moonshine; maybe not a Pintrest craft, maybe not considered a craft at all, but that stuff was SOOOOOO good.

Fourgiftrule.jpg

I'm trying this with my family but with so many littles (nieces&nephews) that are spoiled rotten...it's not gonna happen.

I only have a total of four people to buy things for, and have zero idea what to get for three of them.

We made photo gifts w/ some cute pics of our kiddo for the adult relatives. Not creative, but it was the best we could do this year on a short timeline for people who we don't see too often and already have enough stuff. My mom is the only one who participates in our Christmas morning gift opening celebration at our house, and she always gives me a list of what she wants/needs, thankfully. My husband has access to gigantic apples this year, so I'll probably try my hand at making caramel-chocolate-pretzel wrapped dessert apples, and give those as gifts to friends and neighbors as well.

Typically, we only get our son a couple of gifts plus stocking stuffers of little things he needs and likes. I prefer to do zoo memberships, camps, swim lessons and other experiences for him that last well beyond the holidays. He gets so many toys from family and friends that we don't want to overdo it, or fill our house with even more stuff. It's hard as parents to not go crazy with the gifts, but we just have never seen a benefit to him getting a lot of toys for holidays and birthdays.

This year, we had him donate the money in his "charity" box (any allowance or gift money he gets is divided into Spend, Save and Charity containers by percentage) to buy a doll to donate to the food bank my mom supports. I also took him to our local fire station on Friday to donate a toddler toy he'd never opened. He wore his little police costume and got a fantastic, personalized tour of the fire station and trucks, so I think that turned out to be a really positive giving experience for him. His school has a "Sharing and Caring" drive for gently used clothing and toys, so we'll probably find some stuffs to donate to that, as well. We're trying to emphasize that spending quality time together, giving and general kindness vs. receiving is the point of the holidays, particularly because our son has trouble with empathy and other emotions.

Back