Does every story with guy-on-guy action belong in the "Gay" category?

I reckon, with no science at all, but knowing the quality of writing in the story is no different to any other story of mine from that period, that the difference was about 0.25 of a point. No one objected violently in comments, but I had a sense that what might have been fives turned into fours given. Cudos to one AH writer who quietly commented as to his preference, but slung the story a five regardless.
I'm pretty sure the lesbian content in Loss Function didn't cost me more than about 0.05, but then F-F is generally a softer sell than M-M.

Gay Male

I don't think there are many such stories on offer here, but I haven't seen a negative reaction to it in GM.

For what it's worth, I looked up "father and son" as a tag: https://tags.literotica.com/father and son/

That's not a perfect search term, looks like some stories are using it to mean things like "protagonist has sex with both the father and the son", and I expect there are other father-son stories without that tag, but it's better than nothing.

That tag has about two dozen hits in GM, though about half of those are chapters in one story, and thirty-odd in Incest/Taboo. My impression is that GM is rating them a little bit higher overall, with a higher % of red Hs (looking specifically at the ones that aren't Chapter 2+ of a series) but some of the ones in I/T have still done quite well score-wise.

I didn't look at comments though.

As a set to start whittling a comparison down if anyone wants to, at the aggregate level there are 483 hits across the tags/text/title search for "incest" and Gay Male category. There are 4,434 hits across the tags/text/title search for "gay" and Incest category (which would take in lesbian as well, but "gay male" doesn't come back with anything in this search).

I wouldn't look in the Incest category if I was interested in finding a father/son story myself, though, if for no other reason than the effort required to identify relevant stories.

Place your story anywhere it fits, but tag it and let us know early that two (or more) guys are going to get it on. We've got many gay couple friends, but gay sex is not erotic, whether guy-guy or girl-girl, to us. Just saying - we're strictly hetero.

Place your story anywhere it fits, but tag it and let us know early that two (or more) guys are going to get it on. We've got many gay couple friends, but gay sex is not erotic, whether guy-guy or girl-girl, to us. Just saying - we're strictly hetero.
I think thats kind of the best route - you chose the catagory, but make sure that you tag it, and let people know that there's going to be gay sex. Having said all that, i did all that, and wrote a serious disclaimer at the start of my story, and it STILL got trolled.

Trolls will be trolls no matter what you do.

I always check the tags. So to me, as long as the tags give me a heads up on the gay content, I'm cool with wherever you put them.

Of it's got gay male action, I put it in GM. If it's got trans, I put it in that category. I haven't seen much yammering about category placement from commenters over some 1,000 stories I've written to those categories here.

Tags are a better indicater as to what is in the story than categories.
That's true, but readers often don't consult the tag list. My feeling is that if the content actually culminates in gay sex, it belongs in the "Gay" category. (I did write one story which ended up in "Group Sex" where one of the participants witnessed a male-on-male encounter, and nobody squawked.)

That's true, but readers often don't consult the tag list. My feeling is that if the content actually culminates in gay sex, it belongs in the "Gay" category. (I did write one story which ended up in "Group Sex" where one of the participants witnessed a male-on-male encounter, and nobody squawked.)
The problem as always is that our stories dont simply have one classification in. so you have to go for whatever the predominent theme of the story is. If its group sex, and there happens to be some gay in it, then you put it in group sex, but you will get some limp dick complaining that you spoiled his fap by having some gay in there.
Its no wonder that packets of peanuts these days have, may contain nuts, on the outside. people are so fucking stupid

I presaged one of my stories with this declaration,
"
Advanced warning. This chapter contains themes of non-con, hetero, bi, and gay sex. If that is going to cause you an issue, then please don't read it.

If you read it and then complain about the inclusion of such topics, I shall make a voodoo doll of you and stick something in it. If you are lucky, it will be pins."
I still got this feedback

You need a disclaimer at the beginning of this one to warn people what they are getting into.

WTAF???

I peruse the GM category daily for what I consider misplaced/mislabeled stories. I do not consider Male/Male contact/sex in the context of a threesome with a wife or girlfriend, as gay sex. It is at most bi-sex, and in many cases not even that. Hubby is doing it for her (doesn't matter that he might end up enjoying it).

However, I also understand that if placed in another category, you will get the screamers.

I put almost all of my stories with any GM action in them in the GM category, yes. (And I hold the top two production slots in GM). In doing so, I get practically no grief over posting GM stories here.

Looking at my stats, stories in Group or Erotic Couples with some m/m content get double or more views than in Gay Male, with somewhat lower scores, but hard to tell if that's a pattern.

I put the story mentioned upthread in Group in the end, because it was a mmf threesome from the perspective of the woman, so while most of the sex acts were mm, it was about her and her feelings - holding her old male friend as he gets fucked. If it had been from one of the guy's POV I'd have put in in GM, I think.

Looking at my stats, stories in Group or Erotic Couples with some m/m content get double or more views than in Gay Male, with somewhat lower scores, but hard to tell if that's a pattern.

I put the story mentioned upthread in Group in the end, because it was a mmf threesome from the perspective of the woman, so while most of the sex acts were mm, it was about her and her feelings - holding her old male friend as he gets fucked. If it had been from one of the guy's POV I'd have put in in GM, I think.
Did you get much of a response? I've found Group to be a very unresponsive category - low vote numbers, no comments. It's a real backwater, I'll not put anything there ever again. Erotic Couplings does much better for my "general" stuff.

Did you get much of a response? I've found Group to be a very unresponsive category - low vote numbers, no comments. It's a real backwater, I'll not put anything there ever again. Erotic Couplings does much better for my "general" stuff.
Five Faves, 5k views, no comments. As opposed to anything in GM which tends to get even fewer views and no comments, unless it's part of an event and some of the AH crowd pop in to comment.

EC has the disadvantage that your story vanishes off the front page very quickly, so if you don't get a red H immediately (which any non-mainstream stuff doesn't, though it may do a week later after a sweep), it may be ignored. If you have a more 'general' het PIV story with a good catchy title and tagline, yes there's more readers. I have a couple chapters in EC which have good ratings but not enough votes for a H, after a year.

I put almost all of my stories with any GM action in them in the GM category, yes. (And I hold the top two production slots in GM). In doing so, I get practically no grief over posting GM stories here.
Dont you write almost exclusively gay content though? I may be mistaken but I dont think i've seen anything of yours that wouldn't fit in there in any case

What do you do if you find one? Seems an odd thing to do, to go deliberately looking.
Did you read the rest of my comment? I read them, comment on them, and rate them based upon the writing, and how they treat the topic and the characters. Those sort of stories could very well be in LW, except for the fact that LW is inhabited by a lot of homophobic, misogynist incels who would scream and 1-bomb it.

Hello all,

I'm new to these forums, so please forgive me if this has been discussed already. I guess I'm hoping to vent, as well as get other folks' opinions. Anyways, I exclusively write stories with queer male protagonists. As one might expect, these often include various descriptions of sexual interactions with other men. In most circumstances, I categorize my stories as "Gay" when asked to select an option. I do, however, also write some content about Exhibitionism & Voyeurism as well.

I recently wrote a story about a young queer guy exploring urges related to his desire to engage in exhibitionism. The majority of the narrative involves the protagonist recounting memories of being naked in public, making sense of his desires, and experimenting with being naked in public settings; as such, I labeled the story under the "Exhibitionism & Voyeurism" category. The main character does, however, end up giving another guy a blowjob while naked in the hallway of his apartment building. After publishing this story a few days ago, I have already received several messages telling me "wrong category." It feels incredibly frustrating that a narrative about a budding exhibitionist is viewed as not belonging in the Exhibitionism & Voyeurism category because the protagonist is queer. I have a hard time believing that if that main character was a straight guy who got a blowjob from a woman while exploring being naked in public that anyone would think it didn't belong in the category.

Another relevant piece of information is that I always include that I'm writing about queer characters in my titles and/or story descriptions when posting in categories outside of the "Gay" arena. I feel that should be enough to inform readers who aren't interested in that content that they might not want to continue. I guess it feels even more annoying that some people still read these stories anyways just to tell me that I made a mistake in the category I selected.

Are other authors who write content about queer characters that better fits in other categories also getting this feedback? If so, do you find it frustrating, or do you just not let it bother you? I guess I'm just trying to process my mixed feelings about the situation. Thanks in advance for any feedback and/or support.

-Cal
No. Just file it under 'fun'.

I never look at tags nor use them to search, so I'd assume a percentage of readers don't either. The title is the most important click for people browsing a category list. That said I now include an explanation of the content at the start of a story.

I never know where to post post-op trans women stories, because T&C readers will be disappointed there's an absence of dick and semen-soaked lace knickers. I've posted a couple in Lesbian where the reception was cool but not dismissive, but Romance is where I have my better scores.

I think if it's a well written story with a compelling plot, readers will cut you some slack when the category doesn't fit 100%. If it's a 2FPP story, you'd better have it targeted correctly or someone will take legal action for a spoiled wank.

I never know where to post post-op trans women stories, because T&C readers will be disappointed there's an absence of dick and semen-soaked lace knickers.
That's interesting. I'd have no problem reading a post-op story in that category. IMO the better trans stories are as much or more about self-discovery and self-realization than they are about the sex.

Dont you write almost exclusively gay content though? I may be mistaken but I dont think i've seen anything of yours that wouldn't fit in there in any case
I write across the board. I have different accounts for different genres. In my original account here, I wrote in nearly every category there was. I since then thought I'd do better by compartmenting accounts. I think that's worked, not least because I haven't acknowledged some of the accounts. I get my highest by-genre ratings on Lit. in an account specializing in nonerotic inspirational stories. (go figure)

Maybe I'm projecting my own preferences? I dunno, I can't really get my head around what men want when it comes to trans women. You're probably right.
I think there's two categories of readers for trans stories: the men wanting a chick-with-a-dick stroke story, and the people wanting something more thoughtful about trans experiences.

And a third category for the cross-dressing stories, which tend to be "I'm going to make you into a sissy and laugh at your small dick". Though a few are more interesting.

I've only posted one story there, which got more low votes than any of my others (it went to 3.15 for a while), but suddenly most were swept away to restore a red H. Who knows why...

Back