Do you have this affliction…

I think that after the first dozen or so sex scenes it becomes a bit samey. To keep it interesting, you have to add characters or story.

I started a little quick and dirty historical tale a couple of weeks ago. It's now 12.5k words and they've only just had sex. I seem to start with good intentions then their characters start to evolve and I start with the 'wouldn't it be interesting if...'.

…where you start out trying to write a mindless sex romp, and find out it’s developed a plot and characters with motivations while you weren’t looking?

So frustrating.

Em
It gets so much worse.

First the stroke rompers refuse to be pigeon holed.

So then you have to full on interview them.

Emboldened, they start talking to your OTHER stories' characters.

Next thing you know, they all damn formed a union and present you a list of demands.

istockphoto-106510606-612x612.jpg

I started a little quick and dirty historical tale a couple of weeks ago. It's now 12.5k words and they've only just had sex. I seem to start with good intentions then their characters start to evolve and I start with the 'wouldn't it be interesting if...'.
Sounds familar 😬.

Em

…where you start out trying to write a mindless sex romp, and find out it’s developed a plot and characters with motivations while you weren’t looking?

So frustrating.

Em

Pretty much only almoat every story.

Although just how good any of those plots, characters or motivations are is up for debate I suppose.

Seriously though, while there's nothing wrong with writing a "mindless sex romp," the best stories are the ones that have a little heart and soul to them as well; realistic characters, with actual problems and insecurities, trials to overcome, issues to solve.

And somehow still get laid.

I've read plenty of your stories, you know this. And I think you almost always find a fun balance between sex romp and drama.

It gets so much worse.

First the stroke rompers refuse to be pigeon holed.

So then you have to full on interview them.

Emboldened, they start talking to your OTHER stories' characters.

Next thing you know, they all damn formed a union and present you a list of demands.

View attachment 2282232
And they all want their own spin-off series.

Yes it happened to me.

Em

Sounds familar 😬.

Em

Sounds familiar to me too lol.

I started with ONE wacky story idea about a guy who needs to fuck a nun to save his soul from the Devil and it's evolved into what will be at least a trilogy that may just explain the origins of the universe by the time I'm done.

Sounds familiar to me too lol.

I started with ONE wacky story idea about a guy who needs to fuck a nun to save his soul from the Devil and it's evolved into what will be at least a trilogy that may just explain the origins of the universe by the time I'm done.
As I’ve said before, delusions of grandeur, hun. Delusions of grandeur 🤣.

Em

Christ, the spin off series. 🤦‍♂️

Insidious.

I don't even know if the ancillaries are all that interesting OR if I know the mains so well by that point, I'm just seven year itching.
This. Constantly. I've just copied the coda of a two year old story and pasted it to the top of a blank page, in contemplation of something else.

And in response to Em's OP, even my little 750 Word Vignettes become a typical EB mood piece with characters. I couldn't write a simple sex romp if my life depended on it.

I have such a disorder and such a Character Union too. They have inspired the greater part of my written work.

Pretty much only almoat every story.

Although just how good any of those plots, characters or motivations are is up for debate I suppose.

Seriously though, while there's nothing wrong with writing a "mindless sex romp," the best stories are the ones that have a little heart and soul to them as well; realistic characters, with actual problems and insecurities, trials to overcome, issues to solve.

And somehow still get laid.

I've read plenty of your stories, you know this. And I think you almost always find a fun balance between sex romp and drama.

Yeah, this sounds familiar. Me, I have to constantly remind my characters not every one of their sex romps is enjoyable for me or the average reader per my perception. So I decide what goes onscreen and what goes undocumented. Changes can happen over time.

So frustrating.

Em
Writing, what an amazing adventure it can be.

Like a lot of writers I suppose. I start with a little idea. I have my main characters, but as I write and develop the side characters. I often fall in love with them, and they become central to the story, need their own lives, need pleasure as well...
A simple sexual interlude becomes a 60,000 word trudge...
Oh dear....

Cagivagurl

Back