Diacritics in Literotica stories

THBGato

Litaddict
Does anyone know if diacritics e.g. ñ é ë show up in Literotica?

I'm writing a story with a character called María (accent on the i) who makes a point about how her name is "María" not "Maria". But that's going to be completely lost if the diacritic isn't visible.

My editor raised this issue with me, because THEY can't see the diacritic on the Google Doc I've shared. I'm sure I've seen them on Lit (I mean, there must be on other language versions, surely) but now I'm feeling paranoid.

Can anyone set my mind at rest?

Yes, they do show up. So do emojis, and pretty much anything you can insert with (on Windows) windows-key + period (.)

I use diacriticals all the time. They show up in published stories with no problem. Even the odd ones like the 'å' in "smörgåsbord".

Haven't tested "Dvořák", the composer. Some systems have a problem with the 'ř'. It's fine for HTTP display (obviously), so Lit should have no issue.

I use MSWord and upload in .docx format.

Unicode is treated weirdly in submissions. For example, all my uses of mdash (long pause horizontalline) are always converted to two minus signs, which I’m not a fan of at all because the fonts render them with a gap in between. So there is definitely some preprocessing done there.

If you copy and paste your story into the submissions page, you can check it shows up on the preview. If it does, you're good.

For some reason LibreOffice doesn't like how Writerpad renders diacritics, but if I post direct from Writerpad into Lit, it's fine (ditto LO to Lit).

Unicode is treated weirdly in submissions. For example, all my uses of mdash (long pause horizontalline) are always converted to two minus signs, which I’m not a fan of at all because the fonts render them with a gap in between. So there is definitely some preprocessing done there.

The two hyphens vs. em dash is a special case. That conversion even predates the Internet and desktop publishing. Until the specific conversion is undone, I treat it as a "live with" and submit with two hyphens.

That screwed me up for a while, too. Alt 0151 (on the numpad) fixed that for me. Also, you can open the character map in the start menu, find the em dash, copy it, and just leave it as ctrl+V for a hot key. (As a side Win+V will bring up copy history if you copy something over it)

I noticed that Lit would convert all the em dashes back into double hyphens only if the word processor's autocorrect changed it (gdocs)

I regularly use diacritics and have stretched it on a couple of occasions to include musical notes. Preview works pretty reliably.

That screwed me up for a while, too. Alt 0151 (on the numpad) fixed that for me. Also, you can open the character map in the start menu, find the em dash, copy it, and just leave it as ctrl+V for a hot key. (As a side Win+V will bring up copy history if you copy something over it)

I noticed that Lit would convert all the em dashes back into double hyphens only if the word processor's autocorrect changed it (gdocs)
I use the Alt+0151 combo and I’m writing in plain text editors, copy/pasting into the submission box when I’m finished. Lit is still converting those em dashes into double hyphens.

Does anyone know if diacritics e.g. ñ é ë show up in Literotica?

I'm writing a story with a character called María (accent on the i) who makes a point about how her name is "María" not "Maria". But that's going to be completely lost if the diacritic isn't visible.

My editor raised this issue with me, because THEY can't see the diacritic on the Google Doc I've shared. I'm sure I've seen them on Lit (I mean, there must be on other language versions, surely) but now I'm feeling paranoid.

Can anyone set my mind at rest?
YES! YES! YES! YOU CAN! OBSERVE→ Eldritch Pact.
Thank you, kindly, Joy! 😊

My current novel has a female character named Riina Mõlder and as you can see the diacritic shows up in this posting as it does in my published story. However, although bold type or italicized or words do show up in this posting they do not show up in Lit stories.

My current novel has a female character named Riina Mõlder and as you can see the diacritic shows up in this posting as it does in my published story. However, although bold type or italicized or words do show up in this posting they do not show up in Lit stories.
You can manually add in bold and italics using
HTML tags

<i> italicized text </i>
becomes:
italicized text

Back