DG's Dubious Dicctionary

MathGirl said:
Ps. Does anyone ever read these things?
Yes, Maths. There is always one item that makes me larf aloud, and one (or more) that disgusts me. You're doing a fine job, brilliant really.

mucho whatever,

Perdita

You missed a few...

Aa: A stream, a water-course; an expression of relief when passing water after the obstruction has been bypassed by a catheter followed by "Ow!" as the catheter is removed.

Aal: a red dye; the colour of which in the urine gives concern "Oh shit! I'm buggered."

Aam: a water bucket or cask formerly used as a measure of Rhenish wine variously 37 to 41 Imperial gallons; Drinking an aam is usually followed by aa and aal.

All three words are in the Oxford English Dictionary and precede aardvark. The definitions before the semicolons are genuine-ish.

Og

Pitiful cry for help.............

*** HELP*** Need some technical assistance. I want to buy a digital camera, but I know NOTHING about them. How do the pictures get from the camera to the computer? Magic? What kind of storage media is used? Are the damn things any good? If you have some experience with these things and wouldn't mind giving me some help, please PM me soonest. Thanks. MG

ALGEFACIENT: Producing coldness*. E.g. "Me an' Eddie Joe was parked out in the orange grove, gettin' friendly, ya know? He tried to sneak a toot an' done soiled hissef. I tell ya, Enid, thet were an algefacient, or ma name ain't Cindy Lou."

Thank you for the replies. DP's loyalty and weirdness are not unnoticed. Good work, Og. Svenska's contributions are greatly appreciated. Many Hs and Ks to Perdita for the excellent work on my handsome new AV. Looking at the head of a sheep, it's little wonder they have produced few Nobel laureates. There seems to be very little space for brains.
MG
Ps. Perdita, Those Hs and Ks are virtual only.

Last edited:
You attacha magic cable between the camera and the computer, and then start a special computer program that downloads the pics out of the camera and onto the harddrive.

Svenskaflicak
Camera-savvy

Re: Pitiful cry for help.............

MathGirl said:
Perdita, Those Hs and Ks are virtual only.
Goes w/o saying, Maths. I PMd you.

Flicka, I don't even need a cable. I use this little odd-shaped thingie to hold my flashcard and plug it into the usb port on a side of my lapdog. Thingie cost about 12 bucks.

Perdita

We had a special mouse for the computer when downloading pics from the camera into the harddrive. We called it "The Whale".

Whenever you get a questionable comment, always consider the source it came from. It just MIGHT be a compliment.

Oh, weirdness is definitely a compliment wherever it comes from. It was just that I was trying so hard not to be weird in that post above and then MG says I was... so...

Re: Re: Pitiful cry for help.............

damppanties said:
weirdness?
Dear DP,
Yes. Loyalty to something like this cannot occur if there is not simultaneous weirdness.
MG

It's my thread, and I'll post anything I damn well please

I got my digital camera. Woo woo woo. I didn't know so much stuff could be crammed into such a small package. So far, I've taken a picture of my wall, and it came out great. They even make a special little printer for it that spits out 4 x 6 color prints. Neat.

After tomorrow, I'm taking DurtGurl out of town for a few days. Her creative fires are banked, and she needs to go on a good drunk. I'll enjoy the beach and clean up after her. We hope there will be enough residual weirdness to keep the thread going until we get back.

A total nonsequitur: I had a musical epiphany today. I heard a recording of Lena Horne singing "Stormy Weather." Recorded about 1950. I don't normally pay much attention to music other than classical, but LH and SW is hard to ignore. I'd never heard of the song or the singer before, I think it's the greatest four minutes of music ever. If you don't know it, make every effort to find some way to listen to it.

Think I'll take another picture of my wall.
MG

Great you discovered Lena and that recording, as classical as anything I know. How nice to hear of such a thing.

Have a good (is that appropriate?) time w/Gurl. I won't be writing any poems for you, but you'll be missed. I'll try to keep all the sheep in line, or shape, or from jumping off the cliff, etc.

Shall we anticipate a new genre of AVs? e.g., walls

ta, Perdita (quick, tiny, discreet hug)

LOL, Svenska. I was scrolling down and intended to ask WTF you AV was.

Can't sleep, sweets?

Perdita

Nope.

I've switched day and night around. I go to bed at 6am, and get up in the afternoon.:(

ABELE: A Papal dispensation allowing Austrialian Catholic men to marry sheep.

Was that "AUSTRIA" lian or Australian? Never mind, you are getting us mixed up with New Zealanders in any case.

AI: The three toed sloth*. A word found only in crossword puzzles which should otherwise be ignored.

ALCINE: Of or pertaining to elk. Of or pertaining to auks*. How the hell could one word be used as an adjective for both a quadriped ruminant mammal weighing half a ton and a sea bird? Let's say an alcine animal was destined to drop out of the sky onto one's head. One would not know if the result was going to be a headach with some wet feathers or one being turned into a grease spot by a plummeting wapiti. (The word should either be expunged or better defined - Ed.).

AILETTA: One who is a devotee of crossword puzzles. A person who injects words such as "ai," "wapiti," and "etui" into everyday conversation. Such people are best ignored, and in no circumstances should be spoken to.

AILASTRUM: Skid marks. A posh word for the brown streaks which mysteriously appear on the posterior of underwear. A recent development has made possible the marketing of two-toned geriatric boxers which alleviate the problem. The front of the garment is an attractive yellow, and the back half a neutral medium brown. Designed to be worn for a month, then discarded into a hazardous waste container by the use of a long pole.

Bye until Friday. Don y'all make a fuss whilst I'm away.
MG
Ps. It's nice to see that Svenska's pussy caught a mouse.

Back