Destiny of Life's Circumstances -Closed

"My plans?" Carnevon sat back in his seat. "At present, I have none for you. The next few days, I'd like you to settle in and get used to your new surroundings. You've expressed an interest in some manner of employment. That is entirely up to you. I expect no repayment for anything. That I am able to give you the chance to rise from where you began is suffcient.

"If you would like to continue your education, that is an option for you. Emilie is fluent in French and German, with a smattering of Dutch. Gerard, who you met last evening, speaks Welsh, Cornish and both Scottish and Irish Gaelic. He also has some use of Newtonian mathematics. Everyone within these walls is more than they appear."

As he spoke, Charlotte was partaking of the breakfast that sat in front of her. She seemed famished. Afterward, she regretted having eaten quite as much as she had and excused herself. However, her collapse brought Carnevon from his seat and to her with a speed that would have seemed otherworldly if she had witnessed it.

Carnevon called for the member of his household who possessed medical knowledge and together, they got Charlotte to her room, where her restrictive clothing was removed and she was placed on the bed. Carnevon sat by her side until she woke.

Charlotte woke slowly with a long drawn out groan. "oh no" she exclaimed at her embarrassment. Her head looked over at what appeared to her to be a concerned Lord Carnevon. "I'm so sorry for any inconvenience I caused." How foolish she felt for not grasping the basic fundamentals of wearing a corset. "Those things are a nuisance" she declared pointing to the corset that was laid over a chair.

"In reference to your earlier statement, I would very much like to continue my education. One day I'd like to travel, and knowing more languages would be beneficial. Perhaps I could even get fluent enough to be a tutor or translator. I'd also like to know more of the free thoughts and learn whatever I can." She thought for a moment. "I know you said that you didn't wish for repayment, but what if I read to you nightly? Whether it be poetry or a novel or even philosophy"

She was also looking at him as a source of knowledge as well. He was apparently a successful business man of some sort.
Charlotte wasn't quite sure what his business was, but unlike a lot of Lords that inherited their titles, they also squandered the fortunes. It had been apparent by some of the photos that he looked strikingly similar to his relatives. What other assumption could she come to?

“Perhaps I can rest today, and start my studies tomorrow? Will you be teaching me anything?” She questioned.

The girl had ambition, that was certain. She wasn't content to be someone's wife or mistress. She wanted to be useful. That was good. Too many who found themselves in such a situation would simply assume they were set for life, and would be content to lounge back and let the world cater to them.

Charlotte wanted to learn. She wanted to help, even if it meant menial labor that her born station in life said was all she was good for. Well, that and popping out children she had no means to support.

She saw herself in what she viewed as an opportunity, and Carnevon intended to give it to her.

"Free thinking? I hope you will learn that there is so much more to the world than your limited experience and learning has taught. I hope you will extend your thinking beyond the limits of what this society deems proper and will realize that such thought only seeks to control you.

"You will possibly see things in this house that your currently shuttered view of the world will see as indecent. I ask only that you open your mind and look past what you currently know and think is proper. The world is bigger than you realize, and as long as no one is being harmed, all is well.

"As far as my teaching you: absolutely I shall. I hope to teach you much. Both from books and possibly more... empirical means, shall we say...

"But for now, rest. Roam the house. Get to know the people around you, for they will be more than mere servants to you, I hope."

Last edited:
"I simply don't know how to thank you enough Lord Carnevon, and have nothing but shame for my initial reaction. I shall try not to fight you on your wishes in the future. I am quite sure my fathers ideas of what your 'guardianship' would consist of, was not this. For that I am so grateful. My mother taught me to read and write. Anytime she could get her hands on a book that she deemed would teach me to think for myself, i was presented with it. I understand that my thoughts and actions go against what society deems acceptable. I'm of the opinion that what people do in their private lives is their business. Judge not yet thee be judged, is one of the very few things I ever found useful from the bible. I find that most of it is contradictions and left to open interpretation."

Charlotte pulled up her blanked a little before sitting up. "There is the issue of clothing. Must I wear a corset?, do I have an allowance to purchase clothes from the shops? Or would you prefer to have them made to your specifications?"

"I am excited about furthering the limited education I have, and thank you again for the opportunity to do so. If I may get a schedule of who and when so I may ensure that I am not misusing any ones time. I truly do not wish to be a burden."

It was a rarity to find an aristocrat that believed that a person of her station could better themselves or should have the right to do so. Yet here he was taking her under his wing and offering her the chance to better herself. It seemed as if every moment she spent with him, her opinion only bettered.

"I'm not much of a people person my lord, I have always found women of my age to be silly and ignorant with unrealistic fantasies. Much actually like the one I'm living right now." she let out a light laugh. "I've never been one to harbor the unrealistic notion that I would 'marry up', or be swept away by a prince or a duke. After seeing what marriage was like for my mother, that wasn't something I wanted either. She would tell me stories how how they met and fell in love. But if that is what love looks like, I want no part of it."

Carnevon laughed.

"You will find that much that happens here goes against what this society deems 'proper.'

"As far as corsetry: while you are in the house, such conventions are unnecessary. However, when venturing out into the world beyond these walls, I am afraid the conventions of society must be followed, so as not to raise suspicion as to the goings-on here. Do you understand?"

In answer to her question regarding shopping or custom dresses, he said: "It will be a little of both, I believe. For some affairs, custom seamstress' work would be preferable to something purchased from a shop."

"And I will fix a schedule for your education in a day or so. Some of that education will undoubtedly be ...unusual, but I hope you will approach everything presented to you with an open mind, no matter how or potentially taboo.

"You will have to interact with others beyond these walls on occasion, and just as with the people who maintain this household, I expect you to comport yourself in a courteous and pleasing manner. Admittedly, many of the people who sit in my rank in society were born into their stations, so they often tend toward being vapid fools, of the opinion that anyone who isn't them is somehow less than human. There is no need to set them straight, for their opinion is so set that no amount of debate, however sound, will change their minds.

For now, rest, explore, get to know the people who will become your friends and more. I will start on the schedule for your further education."

With that, he leaned over, placed a kiss on Charlotte's forehead, right between her eyes, mumbled a short phrase in a language he was certain the girl didn't know, because it had died long before even her grandparents were born. He then turned and left the room, giving a brief glance back at the thrummingly vital young woman before disappearing around the door frame.

Last edited:
"As far as corsetry: while you are in the house, such conventions are unnecessary. However, when venturing out into the world beyond these walls, I am afraid the conventions of society must be followed, so as not to raise suspicion as to the goings-on here. Do you understand?" "Yes mi Lord, I understand. I shall do my best to maintain an open mind within the walls, and societies expectations outside of them."

She listened intently to his requests on behavior and attitude and nodded in agreement of understanding. Although she wasn't quite certain what he meant by goings on within the household that may not seem proper. Book smart she was, but life smart, well she had lived a rather sheltered life, only exiting the dwelling she had resided with her father for the market and other such trivial tasks. It was part of her assumption that on occasion he would wish for her to accompany him to events like the opera and things of that nature. She would simply have to remind herself not to eat while wearing that blasted corset.

The statement of her education have parts within it that could be partially taboo, had her perplexed. What on earth could he mean by that? Yet she chose not to question him and simply nodded. Her order for the day was to rest and explore. So that is what she would do.

His kiss between her eyes was cool, yet sent an electric wave down her body to part she herself hadn't even explored yet. She watched him leave and laid back down for another nap. A couple hours later she rose and placed a day dress on that had been laid out for her while she slept. Never had she rested so much in her life. Gathering her wits and fixing her hair she made her way back downstairs for lunch. Seeing him she smiled and gave a curtsy taking her place at the table with assistance from the servant who pulled out her chair. "thank you" she told him as she took her seat. The table had ham, fruits, bread, cheese and other delicious things she had ever rarely seen or tasted.

"I am quite sure if you keep feeding me as such I shan't fit into my clothes" she teased taking a bite of fruit. "perhaps if you're free later you could give me a tour?"

Carnevon felt young Charlotte as she wandered the halls, but primarily only on the way back to her bed, where she once more slept.

A few hours later, he felt her rise. While she slept, he had chosen a light dress for her and laid it out conspicuously. It would show off her form nicely. He knew she would not walk the halls nude. Not yet, in any event, perhaps sometime, but she hadn't been here long. Sometimes it took time for the magicks to take hold.

Carnevon met her at the table, where she waited while a meal was laid out for her. It was a prodigious feast, the size of which she commented, including the toll eating so much would eventually take.

"Then, I trust you will eat as much as will satisfy. You will be welcome here no matter what size you become."

She then asked if he would give her a tour of the house.

"There are places here I hoped you would discover on your own. Self-discovery is so much more satisfying than a dry tour, but I will indulge you. Now, eat. Come see me in the study when you are finished."

Charlottes eyes were much bigger than her stomach. She had never been use to eating so much. Her previous life contained merely what was available, and reserving what could be saved for another meal. She never knew when or if her father would have funds to steal for their survival, so budgeting and being light on portions was a necessary part of life. Her fingers moved as she pondered the amount of times she had actually tasted some of the foods in front of her. One hand, two or three times.

The thought hadn't occurred to her that eating this way may make her gain weight. It had never been an issue in the past, but she'd never had the opportunity to be less active, and fulfilled. "is the left over food given as charity?" Charlotte asked thinking it would be a shame if what they or the staff didn't eat was simply thrown away. "Perhaps there's some charity work i could do on your behalf to tenants?"

"I always found that listening to people explain things they are most proud of is more indulging. Also concepts won't be lost."

Careful not to over eat, she paced herself and ate what was on her plate without overfilling it. Taking a moment to revel in the satisfaction of an exemplary meal, she waited before rising and finding Lord Carnevon in his study. "so many books" she exclaimed as her eyes beheld the rows of books once more.

Carnevon smiled at Marie's question as to where leftover food may go. The girl was so curious about others. It was a selflessness he hadn't seen in the world for a very long time.

"There is only one of you, my dear. Once you start helping one, many other hands will shoot out. How long do you think it will take before the outstretched hands outnumber the aid you wish to place in them?"

He hated dampening the girl's enthusiasm. However, what she was proposing was an enormous undertaking.

"If, however..." he continued, "you are quite insistent in trying something of such a sort, you have my permission to do so. Only..." he sighed, "you must be careful. There are those who take altruism as an opportunity to be dishonest. I cannot define what I mean, but with offered riches - of any kind - often comes those who would attempt to exploit them for nefarious purposes."

He then caressed her cheek and left the girl to finish her meal.

He was in his study once more when she found him again. She marveled:

"So many books."

"Indeed," he said, rising and stepping to her. "Some are very old. Some are in languages you will need to learn if you intend to read them. There is history and fancy, political argument and philosophy. Chances are, anything you wish to learn, real or imagined, is possible in these books.

"Some are in languages you will need to learn, and a few are in languages no human has known for centuries."

Last edited:
"I do understand your meaning Lord Carnevon, although many strive to live the best lives their stations allow. Others are only out for what they can get, or steal. I do know some families that struggle to put food on the table, whether its due to their husband being injured an unable to work, or run off, or died. There were many times my father ate and i did not. It's unfortunate, but there are many that endure the same. There are families that could live a week off simply what we had for breakfast. I will speak with the kitchen, and take the leftovers at the end of each week. Divvy it up into packages, and pass it out to those i know worthy and in need. I have no desire to enable people such as my father in their ways. For safety i shall take a guard with me."

When he caressed her cheek before leaving for his study, she felt that electricity again. It was a odd comfort and jolt she'd never experienced before.

When he told her of the different languages required she smile wildly. "I would very much like to learn whatever languages are required so I can study and learn from these pages. I've tried to teach myself other languages. But without someone that speaks them, and knows how they are to sound, I'm afraid I simply muddled the effort." she let out a light laugh.

It was curious that he said 'no humans has know for centuries'. It was a confounding statement, yet she didn't wish to inquire just yet as to what he meant. Her imagination would certainly make her come to creative conclusions all on her own. Are there any tasks I can do for you? I always felt i'd make a fair secretary or assistant."

The girl was eager to be of use, that was certain. She was constantly thinking of ways to "do" rather than have others do for her.

"A noble idea," he said, in regard to her plan to help feed those living as she had only recently. "We must be careful, though, that we don't end up with the needy camping at our gate, waiting for their next aid."

At her suggestion of an assistant, he told her: "Perhaps, when you've had a bit more education, we can see if there is some way you can help in the daily running of things."

"Perhaps ever two to three weeks so they don't know when or if another will be coming?"
When he told her perhaps when she had a bit more education she may be able to take on a position such as a secretary or assistant, she nodded in agreement.
"If you could find me a task that would be wonderful." it will break up all the studying I will be doing. She grinned widely.

"Shall we go on a tour?"

"I think you will help everyone around here at some point, not just me," Carnevon told her. "It will be good for you to know what it takes to run a household like this. Tomorrow, I think you will be in the stables with Gordon. You can help with the horses and maintain the tack and carriage.

"I had hoped you would do some exploring on your own, then ask me about anything you had questions on, but as you're adamant for me to guide you, come along."

They started with a tour of the ground floor. The study she knew. He showed her the parlor and all the other rooms that the public was intended to see, took her out into the back garden where he led her through the small hedge maze and to the stables and carriage house. There he introduced Charlotte to Gordon, telling the man, "Tomorrow, she is going to be helping you for a while." Gordon said little, but nodded.

Back inside the house, Carnevon asked the question, "Up or down?"

Charlotte smiled. "I would be glad to learn the ins and outs of what it take to run a household like this. Thank you for the opportunity to do so. I've always liked horses, just have little experience. Given where I've come from I suppose that's natural." She would have felt odd wandering someone's home that she was a guest in. To her it would be the same as prying. On top of that she wanted the opportunity to spend some time with her host. Perhaps she'd learn more about him. "I do appreciate the tour, it gives us the opportunity to become better acquainted."

She was in a world of her own when he took her into the garden. Never had she seen anything so magnificent in her life. They didn't explore much of it, just simply took her through to the stables and carriage house. But what she did see left her breathless. The aroma of the mixtures of plants and flowers was intoxicating. So far this was her favorite place. Charlotte imagined sitting for hours and reading a book here. "Just stunning" she exclaimed softly as they made their way through.

"Pleasure to meet you Gordan" she responded to his nod as they left.

"My mother use to say it's best to learn from the bottom up, so down." she said with a soft smile.

Carnevon nodded, then guided Charlotte to a nondescript doorway. Opening the door revealed a staircase. It was utilitarian, but clean. The room at the bottom was not as ornately fitted as the ones upstairs, but it was obvious it was regularly used. Activity could be heard off to one side, accompanied with the odor of cooking food.

Charlotte was brought to the kitchen, where the small crew was busy preparing the next meal for the household. Carnevon introduced her to some of the employees here, as was possible, but after a few minutes, it was necessary to get out of the way.

Next, he showed her the bedrooms, illustrating that, while not sumptuous, his employees enjoyed more than just a cot in a dusty corner. One bedroom door was closed, and Carnevon could feel the energy flowing from behind it. Apparently someone was fucking. The sensation infused him with a warm power, courtesy of the magicks he employed to curb his baser instincts.

Charlotte wasn't sure what to expect when they walked down the staircase. But it was clean and seemed to be exactly the way it should be. He took her to the kitchen and introduced her to some of the employees. She greeted them kindly, thanking them for the wonderful meals they provided. She took note of who was in charge so she could arrange the meal project she had in mind. They quickly made their way out, to allow them to continue with their tasks. Not wanting to disturb or be a nuisance.

The quarters for the staff were very nice. Much better than what she had assumed they would be, given the stories of people that had served before. Charlotte got on her toes and kissed Carnevons cheek. "thank you for being such a gracious host." she said softly as the energy from her lips touching his skin flowed through her like a wildfire. She blushed a little as they made their way upstairs and move upward on the tour. "the paintings" Charlotte exclaimed. "There is such a likeness between you and your ancestors. You must have strong genes my Lord." Admiring the carvings and the architecture she talked freely with him about how delicate, precise and beautiful they were." The passion in her words for the manor could not be mistaken. She was absolutely mesmerized by its detail and beauty.

It was also apparent that her comfort level with Carnevon was growing exponentially. She enjoyed listening to him open up about his home. He had a way with words that registered with her on a deep level.

For as forceful and defiant as she'd been when she first arrived, Charlotte was becoming more and more relaxed and cheerful as time passed. Carnevon suspected some of that was due to his magicks, but he hoped more than a little was because she was becoming more at ease with her new situation.

There was more to see in the lower floors, but for the moment, he held off showing her. If she'd stumbled across them on her own, he'd have answered any questions she might have. As it was, he would now decide what to show.

Above stairs once more, Charlotte kissed him. Energy flowed. He'd have grabbed her and drunk more of that had he not felt she wasn't ready for it.

"This home has been in my family for generations. Many of the furnishings came when they moved from the Continent. When they arrived, such items were all they had, but rather than sell them for the money they could have gotten, they earned in other ways."

Charlotte appeared enthralled. She loved the luxury and status each piece represented, as well as the skill of the craftspeople who had created them.

Upstairs, he showed her all the bedrooms, and pointed out, if she hadn't noticed already, that each bath had its own running water.

The third floor was the ballroom. It wasn't enormous, but was capable of hosting events consisting of a couple dozen attendees. Here, Carnevon opened a set of doors and stepped out into the day's partial light.

"Here is perhaps my favorite view of the city," he told her, gazing out over the buildings into the distance. "Regrettably, I can only spend a minute or two this time of day."

Last edited:
Charlotte revealed in everything he had to show her. She listened with exuberant curiosity. It was all new to her, though she did find it a bit odd the ballroom was on the third floor. Obviously whomever had designed it had never worn a corset or shoes with wedges that required balance before. She pondered over the design in her mind and thought it would have been better if placed on the ground floor with a balcony over looking it perhaps on the second floor. She kept her thoughts to herself on this. There was probably a reason she hadn't considered. Architecture, all though an interest was not something she knew a great deal about.

"why can you only spend a minute or two at this time of day?" she questioned then placed her hand over her mouth. "I apologize, that was rude of me. I do tend to question things without applying proper etiquette. I shouldn't have enquired on something that could have been of a personal nature. Anyway, I'm sure the night view under the stars and moon is much better and less noise ridden."

Smiling softly she let a moment pause before speaking again "Thank you so much for the well guided tour, I much prefer learning from someone than coming to my own discoveries and conclusions. I should probably let you get back to your tasks." She lingered for a few moments, not really sure why she was hesitating in leaving his company.

Carnevon smiled at Charlotte's question, then her embarrassment at having asked.

"Don't be afraid to ask questions. If not for questions, one can never enlighten himself on the things he doesn't know, or remember. If you will recall, I mentioned a skin condition that forces me to limit my time in the sun. And you are correct, the city is beautiful at night, but there's a vibrance to the daytime, with all the people working, living, fucking... Although I cannot see them, I can feel their energy. It's evident in the smoke from the chimneys, the noise in the streets. All that is muted at night.

"There is more of the house to see, more things to discover, but I prefer you find those on your own.

"And while I would love to spend more time with you, at the moment, you are correct, I must attend to a few matters. Perhaps later we can meet again. In the meantime, explore. Don't be afraid to open closed doors. Nothing here will harm you, and there's nothing to be embarrassed about." He leaned over and kissed Charlotte's forehead. "For now, though, I must go. Have a good day, my dear."

With that, he retreated.

Charlotte said nothing, but was a bit taken back by his using the word "fucking", as if it was just thing that was of the norm. It certainly was not in her world, nor would it ever be. Of course she was aware that some partook in the act out of wedlock. That would never be her. He also had mentioned the ability to feel peoples energy. She wondered what that must feel like.

The kiss on her forehead drew her from her train of thought. She gave him a soft smile and a light curtsy and wished him well. Having already explained her feelings on exploring, she simply ignored his request to do so. She had never been fond of repeating herself. Her curiosity of went want on behind closed doors wasn't one that would lead her to open them.

Carnevon, was an interesting character though. She was curious to get to know him more.

Carnevon knew Charlotte would not explore the house. She had already expressed a disinterest in doing so. It would mean when she learned of certain things, it might be more of a shock to her, but there was nothing to be done. One cannot be instilled with a sense of curiosity.

He left her to her own devices - he did have business to attend to, as well as the need for some rest. While the magicks coursing through the house helped sustain him, it did not mean he did not need to sleep, though his sleep was unlike that of the others in his house..

Back