Cool, weird facts

ABBA's song SOS is the only Billboard Hot 100 single to have both a title and a recording artist who's names are both palindromes.

Facts thread! :heart:

The ampersand (&) is a ligature of "et," the Latin word for "and."

there are 24 calories in one cup of cactus, and the fruits are nice and tart. the fruit also makes wonderful margaritas. it is rich in vitamin a and c.

there are 24 calories in one cup of cactus, and the fruits are nice and tart. the fruit also makes wonderful margaritas. it is rich in vitamin a and c.

Love me some nopalitos.

I did not care for cactus when I tried it. I've had prickly pear and dragon fruit. I will try it in margaritas, because I like vitamins. Particularly vitamin T (tequila).

The Fermi Paradox notes that with the age of our universe and the quantity of stars, we probably should have discovered evidence of other intelligent civilizations by now. This is based on the Copernican mediocrity principle - that Earth is not central and special, and we can assume that our solar system isn't, either. If even a tiny fraction of the 70 sextillion stars in the universe (several hundred billion of which are right here in the Milky Way) had a planet with earth-like conditions, intelligent life should have been able to develop technologically elsewhere and colonize solar systems, and we would expect to see evidence of that.

So why don't we? Why is the universe so quiet? Maybe we really are special snowflakes, but the Great Filter is another interesting theoretical possibilty. The GF is some sort of challenge or event or barrier or propensity for self-destruction that plagues all intelligent life and prevents it from advancing technologically to into space colonization and expansion. We may already be past the filter or it may lie in our future. The easier that it's been for us to evolve to this point, the more likely that the filter lies ahead.

But that's all science fiction-y mumbo jumbo.

Last edited:
When worms mate, they secret mucous from their clitella.

I dissected an earthworm in school. The clitella was the hardest part to cut through.

God did not want them to find us.

Did you ever stop to think about that?

:mad:

Maybe he's just bothered by the noise. "Keep it down in there, ya damn kids! Those spaceships are causing a ruckus!"

The toothbrush was invented in Romania.
That's why it wasn't called a teethbrush.

Medieval women often plucked hair on their body to keep it from view. Hairlines were raised but it was considered a sin if women plucked *any* hair to please a man.

After Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar was killed, the four hippos in his personal zoo were abandoned on his estate. They bred, and now Colombia has a hippo problem in the form of a feral horde that's over 40 strong.

It's better than being overrun by feral hipsters, at least.

Last edited:
AND, hippo milk is pink!

Thanks to Saint Petey for reminding me of awesome hippo facts by tempting me with his Pink Goop shots.

If you were to count from 1 to 1000 in english only when you got to 1000 would you use the letter a.

Back