Competition Idea

This is the point of view I was alluding to above.

FWIW, I don't really mind the profusion of challenges; some of them, I think, are kinda silly thematically, but nobody's forcing anyone to take part.

An excellent argument can be made, though, that by prioritizing contest/challenge submission approvals, these events probably create a backlog in approvals for normal, everyday, non-event submissions. And this forum contains plenty of threads complaining about that issue.
I've said this multiple times before on many other threads.

I'm a BIG proponent of taking up a collection for the 3 "Author Events" to have prize money.
Nothing massive though.
We don't need to "out do" Lit.
Of course, that does bring a "trust issue" into play as well.

I'm a BIG proponent of taking up a collection for the 3 "Author Events" to have prize money.
Nothing massive though.
There are more than three author events in any one year, so how would you pick and chose?

That's why the non-contest, no winner, author events are good - they're not so much popularity contests, and they're often more interesting than the regular contests.

There are more than three author events in any one year, so how would you pick and chose?

That's why the non-contest, no winner, author events are good - they're not so much popularity contests, and they're often more interesting than the regular contests.
I understand why there isn't prize money and no winner.
I can see and understand both POV's.

I think you could rotate stories on a yearly basis.
From what I've seen in previous threads, most of these author-based contests, end up being one and done anyhow.

The overwhelming majority of complaints about wait times are because of the glitch in the submission queue — not actual delays in submission processing. Over and over again, people report the standard 2-3 days lead time that it's been for years. The events aren't slowing anything down.

The notion that any challenge has to be approved through official channels is hogwash as well. Anybody can organize one and run it on their own. The stories will just go through the submission queue like any other story and won't have any advertising or other intervention on Lit's part. The official channel is something Laurel decided to provide because authors enjoy the challenges. That system being in place doesn't preclude creating and participating in independent themed challenges in any way.

I understand why there isn't prize money and no winner.
I can see and understand both POV's.

I think you could rotate stories on a yearly basis.
From what I've seen in previous threads, most of these author-based contests, end up being one and done anyhow.
Geek Anthology, Mickey Spillane, Tales from Leinvere (sp.?) are pretty regular now - plus others, but I'm too lazy to look at the list.

The one-offs are the Invitationals, which are in their own microcosm.

Geek Anthology, Mickey Spillane, Tales from Leinvere (sp.?) are pretty regular now - plus others, but I'm too lazy to look at the list.

The one-offs are the Invitationals, which are in their own microcosm.
It's not like it'd be difficult to do.
Rotating them would allow authors to really dig in deep on their stories.
If for example....Geek Pride is moved to 2025 in the rotation, it can be worked on throughout all of 2024.
Of course, this is just my opinion.
I see the other POV as well.
I'm not cutting a fucking promo on anybody.

There are too god damn many of them now!!!

There should be the normal Literotica contests and AT MOST, 3 author events.

We could rotate the "author events" on a yearly basis.
Said in a previous thread, but will repeat here:

1. Have more *one-off* author-led challenges. Why make them annual? I really liked taking part in the the Ogg Heroism one, but would question it becoming an annual event
  2. Less repeated events. If there's no space, pick an annual event that had the least interest and *cull it* to make way for fresh meat
And yes, I am organising the 'Lost and Found' one-off event coming up, but given I'm actively going 'meh' at a lot of the established events, I'd prefer to see what new ideas people come up with.

Said in a previous thread, but will repeat here:

1. Have more *one-off* author-led challenges. Why make them annual? I really liked taking part in the the Ogg Heroism one, but would question it becoming an annual event
  2. Less repeated events. If there's no space, pick an annual event that had the least interest and *cull it* to make way for fresh meat
And yes, I am organising the 'Lost and Found' one-off event coming up, but given I'm actively going 'meh' at a lot of the established events, I'd prefer to see what new ideas people come up with.
Rotating "author based" events every year can have that same effect.

I think I understand what you're saying though.

It's just my opinion.

I'm not going to cut a fucking promo about it.

Nothing massive though.
Good intentions, but...
The thing about the author sponsored challenges is they're just for fun and for some a way to push themselves to write something different, or even write at all by committing to enter. For the most part they're friendly, and not to much BS goes on in the scoring.

Add some money-or if Laurel ever decided to name the top three and award blue W's to them-then what's going to happen is all the BS that happens in the themed contests with the bombing, cheerleading, formula stories, last minute mega long entries and all the other games people play for a few dollars and letter added aftr their story.

Just keeping them completely unofficial with nothing on the line other than challenge accepted is best in my opinion

Good intentions, but...
The thing about the author sponsored challenges is they're just for fun and for some a way to push themselves to write something different, or even write at all by committing to enter. For the most part they're friendly, and not to much BS goes on in the scoring.

Add some money-or if Laurel ever decided to name the top three and award blue W's to them-then what's going to happen is all the BS that happens in the themed contests with the bombing, cheerleading, formula stories, last minute mega long entries and all the other games people play for a few dollars and letter added aftr their story.

Just keeping them completely unofficial with nothing on the line other than challenge accepted is best in my opinion
I can see and understand this POV.
I'm not going to push my position on it.
It's just my personal opinion.
If memory serves me correctly, you and I had a discussion along these lines before in one of the many threads on this topic.

No I wasn't expecting Laurel to put up prize money for the competition.

And for the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't expecting to be paid for coming up with the idea either....
You might not expect it, but competitions have prizes here. If she makes it a competition or a contest, then they be prizes.

You might not expect it, but competitions have prizes here. If she makes it a competition or a contest, then they be prizes.
Ok, so my bad for using the wrong word. I only wanted to suggest an idea I'd had as a theme against which to write, because it seemed like fun. I wasn't seeking competition, prizes, recognition, Pulitzer's, cold hard cash or a late entry into the Doomsday book.

It's all good. I'd already messaged Laurel - and said I wasn't seeking prizes - and if she says yes then I'll write a thread for it.

Just a matter of semantics, but challenge works better for what you have in mind than competition. And sure if it is challenge, she'll be fine with it. And forgive me if I was bitchy, just in my nature to be so.
Ok, so my bad for using the wrong word. I only wanted to suggest an idea I'd had as a theme against which to write, because it seemed like fun. I wasn't seeking competition, prizes, recognition, Pulitzer's, cold hard cash or a late entry into the Doomsday book.

It's all good. I'd already messaged Laurel - and said I wasn't seeking prizes - and if she says yes then I'll write a thread for it.

Laurel just updated the challenge thread. Excluding Black Randi because its by invitation only, there are....

15 of these.

15 of these along with 6 site sponsored contests is 21 events in 12 months.

Of course people can just pick and choose, but it really seems to have hit the saturation point.

Back