Communication in an unhealthy relationship

Fuqueue

Virgin
Ive got this gf who’s like obsessed with me, like just will not give it a rest about how she thinks I’m such a narcicist. She’s all watching these guys on YouTube all the time, who talk about narcisists with like the abuse victim mentality and all that. I guess you might call her a codependent, she’s got a track record of really serious monogamous relationships, with someone she was so devoted to, despite how abusive they are against her. I know, a lotta trouble to be avoided by letting this one go by, but I can’t help myself, I want to help this person. She’s the only girl who even so much as pretends to love me, and I just want to be loved by someone. So perhaps someone who pretends to love me, because they are actually incapable of it, is just a bit better than being alone…optimistically. But then here we have this tantalizing opportunity to me, the chance to actually open someone’s eye for the first time, help them expand their mind and unfold a truly amazing experience of reality that they’ve cut themselves off from, literally can’t even imagine. Ppl in this state literally cannot even perceive of so much going on around them that would be positive for them and everybody they care about.

Like I’ve considered that I may in fact be a narcicist, like maybe there’s something to it, what she’s saying about me. Tbh I see my self as an empath, thru and thru - I give great head I really do, I enjoy it every bit as much as my partner; if someone is willing and receptive to what I can do, I’ve been told it’s literally intoxicating. I can be like a drug if you’ll let me. But this is only because I am paying attention to her reactions to me, and constantly altering what I put out based on how it’s received, and in reverse as well, in a constantly evolving dynamic of mutual give and take that’s true intimacy.

Someone like her tho, it’s just always taking, very little giving that is perfunctory at best. This person literally has no concept of anyone existing with feelings outside of herself and her own 1-way experience. And she really does see herself as the victim of everything she experiences of reality, acts like all these things happening to her are just completely unrelated to her own behavior that’s causing it in the first place, to her she is a victim of circumstances outside of her control and then what can u do about it once it’s already happening to u, ya know?

How to help somebody like this, who is to give feedback to my girl, without her hearing it as criticism? What am I doing wrong, like anything I say she will literally stop so she can throw a fit about it as if my criticism is just so unbearable. How do I say it in a way that’s constructive? Because this is something she receives from me wholeheartedly, I luv to give too, but when it comes her time to give back the best I can hope for is a lame perfunctory act like it’s a chore, where she just refuses to do anything I ask her to try that’s a little different, just belligerently doesn’t listen. She’ll just stop and flip out about criticism or start slowing down just as im getting close, and then stop just before I actually get off and act like she thought I had finished (because of a little pre cum) and im just like so unbelievably frustrated about thisIMG_2577.jpeg

How to help somebody like this, who is to give feedback to my girl, without her hearing it as criticism? What am I doing wrong, like anything I say she will literally stop so she can throw a fit about it as if my criticism is just so unbearable. How do I say it in a way that’s constructive? Because this is something she receives from me wholeheartedly, I luv to give too, but when it comes her time to give back the best I can hope for is a lame perfunctory act like it’s a chore, where she just refuses to do anything I ask her to try that’s a little different, just belligerently doesn’t listen. She’ll just stop and flip out about criticism or start slowing down just as im getting close, and then stop just before I actually get off and act like she thought I had finished (because of a little pre cum) and im just like so unbelievably frustrated about this
This person doesn't sound capable of what you want from her.

It also kind of sounds like she's the narcissist. That might not be the truth, but I see some of it in what you're describing.

She definitely sounds toxic. The way to prove once and for all to her that you aren't a narcissist would be to dump her.

You're not responsible for her toxicity and you can't control it. You can keep trying to "reach" her and keep trying to get around her walls and triggers, but, without her doing her own work to bring down the walls and turn off the triggers, there's no way you can do anything constructive here.

You don't have the power to make her change.

Ive got this gf who’s like obsessed with me, like just will not give it a rest about how she thinks I’m such a narcicist. She’s all watching these guys on YouTube all the time, who talk about narcisists with like the abuse victim mentality and all that. I guess you might call her a codependent, she’s got a track record of really serious monogamous relationships, with someone she was so devoted to, despite how abusive they are against her. I know, a lotta trouble to be avoided by letting this one go by, but I can’t help myself, I want to help this person. She’s the only girl who even so much as pretends to love me, and I just want to be loved by someone. So perhaps someone who pretends to love me, because they are actually incapable of it, is just a bit better than being alone…optimistically. But then here we have this tantalizing opportunity to me, the chance to actually open someone’s eye for the first time, help them expand their mind and unfold a truly amazing experience of reality that they’ve cut themselves off from, literally can’t even imagine. Ppl in this state literally cannot even perceive of so much going on around them that would be positive for them and everybody they care about.

Like I’ve considered that I may in fact be a narcicist, like maybe there’s something to it, what she’s saying about me. Tbh I see my self as an empath, thru and thru - I give great head I really do, I enjoy it every bit as much as my partner; if someone is willing and receptive to what I can do, I’ve been told it’s literally intoxicating. I can be like a drug if you’ll let me. But this is only because I am paying attention to her reactions to me, and constantly altering what I put out based on how it’s received, and in reverse as well, in a constantly evolving dynamic of mutual give and take that’s true intimacy.

Someone like her tho, it’s just always taking, very little giving that is perfunctory at best. This person literally has no concept of anyone existing with feelings outside of herself and her own 1-way experience. And she really does see herself as the victim of everything she experiences of reality, acts like all these things happening to her are just completely unrelated to her own behavior that’s causing it in the first place, to her she is a victim of circumstances outside of her control and then what can u do about it once it’s already happening to u, ya know?

How to help somebody like this, who is to give feedback to my girl, without her hearing it as criticism? What am I doing wrong, like anything I say she will literally stop so she can throw a fit about it as if my criticism is just so unbearable. How do I say it in a way that’s constructive? Because this is something she receives from me wholeheartedly, I luv to give too, but when it comes her time to give back the best I can hope for is a lame perfunctory act like it’s a chore, where she just refuses to do anything I ask her to try that’s a little different, just belligerently doesn’t listen. She’ll just stop and flip out about criticism or start slowing down just as im getting close, and then stop just before I actually get off and act like she thought I had finished (because of a little pre cum) and im just like so unbelievably frustrated about thisView attachment 2271649
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMQVuOn9DvTiPWqtm31EBeH8XhdGix5bE&si=pYllfNsbMJvhhYQy

How to help somebody like this, who is to give feedback to my girl, without her hearing it as criticism? What am I doing wrong, like anything I say she will literally stop so she can throw a fit about it as if my criticism is just so unbearable. How do I say it in a way that’s constructive? Because this is something she receives from me wholeheartedly, I luv to give too, but when it comes her time to give back the best I can hope for is a lame perfunctory act like it’s a chore, where she just refuses to do anything I ask her to try that’s a little different, just belligerently doesn’t listen. She’ll just stop and flip out about criticism or start slowing down just as im getting close, and then stop just before I actually get off and act like she thought I had finished (because of a little pre cum) and im just like so unbelievably frustrated about thisView attachment 2271649
There is a lot to say here. First it sucks that you're going through this, it sounds like just a stressful situation in general.
Something like couples therapy goes a long way, but it can be super expensive. I'm working towards a MSW to become a licensed therapist, but I'm not there yet, so take my and any other internet advice with a grain of salt.

Internet therapy is annoying because it makes a lot of people think they're dealing with clinical narcissism and or abuse when they absolutely are not. It's impossible to know your situation exactly and who is at fault or how accurate your perception is. Most of the time both people contribute to the problems, usually unconsciously and it's not always even sometimes the fault is split 15% to 85%. Also from what I understand, you can be a narcissist and attune to others well. The profile is more a fixation on being the best or really accomplished and having others see you the same way. Like projecting an image of perfection in general or a specific area. It would be rare to find a narcissist publicly self-criticize. Underneath the bravado however isa fear that if they aren't the best, the won't get the love, care and attention they need emotionally and they need much much more of it to feel safe than others people do.

I don't know what you mean by criticism, but being constantly criticized really doesn't feel good. If you're not already balancing that with positive observations too, it can pile up. You also don't necessarily need to state when something is wrong, for example my aunt is much better than my uncle and he's always leaving dishes around the house, but she decided that honestly it's just better for their relationship if she puts them away instead of harassing him all the time. It's totally valid to share if there's behaviors from your partner that negatively affect you and you're not willing to work around.

Relationships are negotiated in a way, a kind of emotional cost, benefit analysis. That's where boundaries come in, just thinking about what you want from the relationship and how you want to relate to your girlfriend. Then based on that express what you want and don't want to do and what you aren't and are willing to do, and she can do the same. It also makes it easier to see who the abusive partner might be, as I understand it abusive people might find it challenging to really accommodate, take accountability and change behaviors while someone being abused is more likely to change their behavior, constantly apologize and take the blame from the problems in the relationship.

Dr. Kirk Honda is an amazing Marriage and Family therapist from Seattle, he has a podcast and YouTube called Psychology in Seattle which has been really useful to follow alongside my studies.

Best of luck in having those healthy conversations.

I know, a lotta trouble to be avoided by letting this one go by, but I can’t help myself, I want to help this person. She’s the only girl who even so much as pretends to love me, and I just want to be loved by someone. So perhaps someone who pretends to love me, because they are actually incapable of it, is just a bit better than being alone…optimistically.

You seem to already know that there is head- and heart ache dead ahead, so I won’t harp on about it.

It’s interesting how we always want to heal anyone but ourselves though.

Last edited:
Back