Co-writing curiosity

Hello, I am unsure if this is the correct place to ask this and if it is not, I would greatly appreciate it being pointed out.

I am toying with the potential of co-writing a story with another author here on Literotica, however I am unsure on which of the forums to put such a proposal up as when I originally asked within Authors Hangout I was promptly told that it was not the correct place to ask, moreover that I had incorrectly worded the thread. While my intent was to put out the idea and see if there was another author willing to collaborate together to bring the story to life as a joint project, it came across as asking for a commission.

So simply put, where would the correct forum to inquire for co-writing/collaboration on a story?

AH is the place for it but you've really got to convince us that you're not just trying to get someone else to write part of your story for free.

I just read your other posts. I'm not a very good writer, but I just sat down and did it. Go for it!

I do think that it's hard for people to see what you mean by "collaboration" if you've given them nothing to demonstrate how well you write. They might be thinking they're going to be doing the work for you, and here's the thing: it's your plot. Your ideas. Nobody else is going to value them the way you do.

So just do it!

I co-wrote with another lit author whereby we simply passed the narrative back and forth, each adding on where the other left off; not unlike the lit role play forums, but offline until we agreed it was finished and publish-worthy. Maybe not what you were thinking of, but it was damn fun.

Otherwise, I’d be more specific of what you intend ( as was mentioned above).

Personally, I can't see any value in co-writing with another author as you describe it. To do that sounds pretty chaotic what with trying to truly be able to know what's in the other's mind — what's their idea of where the story goes next. However, what I do know is of value is; finding an author who's work you enjoy and seeing if he/she might be willing to "beta-read" / "proof-read" your story after it's completed. It's been my experience that one or two such "friends" is both effective and enjoyable.

The biggest danger I see in co-writing with another author is that the two of you will end up disagreeing about how the plot and characters should develop. Say you're writing a murder mystery and pick two different lead suspects or something. Then cooperation would be difficult. If writing style and other expectations clash, things can get even worse.

Back