Cat Person, Dog Person, or Other Person?

They don't require constant attention for proof of your love. In fact, not paying much attention ensures they will come to you and let you know they love you. Just let me rub against your leg a couple of times. Do you feel better now, Mommy? What are you doing, Mommy? Can I help you open the oven? Crap, Mom, that's hot. Is this a good book? Let me read it with you, okay?

Dogs. I only like cats not in my house. I also had a ferret and want another. I named him Rikki Tikki Tavi.

They don't require constant attention for proof of your love. In fact, not paying much attention ensures they will come to you and let you know they love you. Just let me rub against your leg a couple of times. Do you feel better now, Mommy? What are you doing, Mommy? Can I help you open the oven? Crap, Mom, that's hot. Is this a good book? Let me read it with you, okay?
I've only met like, one or two dogs that were attention whores.

Are you a cat person or dog person? Or do you prefer other animals as pets? Or no pets at all?

I like cats and dogs, and have had both for much of my life (though I don't own either right now), but I definitely prefer dogs. Dogs genuinely love people; with cats it's sort of an iffy proposition some of the time.
Well, I think my current avatar pretty well answers that question...

I like dogs, my family usually had a dog and a cat when I was growing up. I just like cats a lot better.
Yes, I am the witchy spinster lady with two black cats.

Are you a cat person or dog person? Or do you prefer other animals as pets? Or no pets at all?

I like cats and dogs, and have had both for much of my life (though I don't own either right now), but I definitely prefer dogs. Dogs genuinely love people; with cats it's sort of an iffy proposition some of the time.
Meme I keep seeing that applies here: dogs don't try to hide that they're a little needy and want to be around you all the time. Cats just act like it's a big coincidence that they're in the same room with you 95% of the time.

Cats (imho) are no bullshit creatures and if they've decided you belong to them it's not out of some need to be in a pack. That's one of the things I like about them. In general, of course there are individual exceptions.

When we lived in our original place, we had a house cat and about a dozen barn cats. We had several outside dogs and a couple of inside ones. Once we downgraded, we had two cats and one dog.
Well, I think my current avatar pretty well answers that question...

I like dogs, my family usually had a dog and a cat when I was growing up. I just like cats a lot better.
Yes, I am the witchy spinster lady with two black cats.

She came when called, walked on a leash (or rode on my shoulder if she'd had enough walking), played fetch, and rough-housed gently. She even had her own language, with distinct vocalizations for whatever it was she wanted from me. Amazing personality.
Every cat I've raised has known it's name and come when called most of the time. The two I have now (especially Kitsuni, whose eye is my avatar) has the biggest vocal range of any cat I've had, and is certainly able to communicate what she wants. She's probably the second smartest cat I had. I had a long hair Grey tabby and white named Escher who might've been smarter, but didn't talk as much.

No pets here. My lifestyle doesn't support them (I travel a lot, so it's not fair to be kenneling them or leaving them with strangers). I have plants. But, they're tough and can make it on their own. And made of silk.
Now, those are plants I probably wouldn't kill...

One of the deciding factors for me is smell. Dogs do their duty outside. Cats have catboxes, usually in the house, and I cannot stand that smell. It drives me crazy. I don't mind cleaning up after a dog on the lawn. But I just cannot stand that odor indoors with a cat and no matter where the catbox is I smell it. Plus, I had a cat that peed down heating vents in the floor and you can probably imagine how awful that was.

Until a dog goes senile, and then they do their business wherever.
One of the deciding factors for me is smell. Dogs do their duty outside. Cats have catboxes, usually in the house, and I cannot stand that smell. It drives me crazy. I don't mind cleaning up after a dog on the lawn. But I just cannot stand that odor indoors with a cat and no matter where the catbox is I smell it. Plus, I had a cat that peed down heating vents in the floor and you can probably imagine how awful that was.

Does this kind of cat person count?

4595123918029_figure-kinako-morning-ver-my-cat-is-a-kawaii-girl-amiami-limited-edition-original-character-altk.jpg

Em

I love them both, for their own highly individual reasons. Dogs are higher maintenance, but I loved doing therapy dog events with them and as someone else here said, they bring pure joy in a way no other creature does. Cats - they can be highly quirky, but my first pet as an adult was a cat, and I loved him with all my heart, so I extend that to all his brethren.

We've got both. Two older dogs, a seventeen year old cat, and a rambunctious kitten. My old cat is my buddy, though. She'll call me when I'm writing because she just wants some lovin'. And it's nice to be able to take a break with the pets. When I'm focusing on them, it takes my mind off everything else.

When I'm focusing on them, it takes my mind off everything else.
One of my cats is a complete snuggle bug, has to be right on me almost all the time. The other is less of a cuddler, though she does it more now that she's middle aged.
When they're asleep, laying on me, or better yet doing that "I'm half asleep but still purring" thing, I can feel my blood pressure go down and my whole body relax.

One of my cats is a complete snuggle bug, has to be right on me almost all the time. The other is less of a cuddler, though she does it more now that she's middle aged.
When they're asleep, laying on me, or better yet doing that "I'm half asleep but still purring" thing, I can feel my blood pressure go down and my whole body relax.
I think pets are the best therapy. They're affectionate and calming and just seem to love us for who we are.

My dad's cat is always around him when he comes home from work. Walks right in front of him, beside him, or behind him. Gets in his lap as soon as he sits down. She'll sit on the floor, at his feet, until he finishes his meal, then jump up to see if there is anything she might want. Once she finds a piece of bread or fish, turns and gets those big begging eyes on him. He says, "Okay," and she eats it. She comes when he says come here, Baby. Not so much if Mum calls her. Sometimes, she sits on his lap while he watches TV, and I swear to god she's watching TV too. When he leaves for work, she yowls for five or more minutes to Mum, complaining that Dad left. She's Baby on the spot, when he comes home, waiting at the door when he comes in from the garage.

Our cat, Cat is more partial to Donnie than us at this time. Yes, we know it isn't very creative calling a cat Cat, but if Columbo can name his dog, dog, we call our cat Cat.

Last edited:
My dad's cat is always around him when he comes home from work. Walks right in front of him, beside him, or behind him. Gets in his lap as soon as he sits down. She'll sit on the floor, at his feet, until he finishes his meal, then jump up to see if there is anything she might want. Once she finds a piece of bread or fish, turns and gets those big begging eyes on him. He says, "Okay," and she eats it. She comes when he says come here, Baby. Not so much if Mum calls her. Sometimes, she sits on his lap while he watches TV, and I swear to god she's watching TV too. When he leaves for work, she yowls for five or more minutes to Mum, complaining that Dad left. She's Baby on the spot, when he comes home, waiting at the door when he comes in from the garage.

Our cat, Cat is more partial to Donnie than us at this time. Yes, we know it isn't very creative calling a cat Cat, but if Columbo can name his dog, dog, we call our cat Cat.
My son's cat was like that. Every afternoon she'd listen for the school bus, then she'd yowl till he came in the house and she'd start purring her little heart out as soon she saw him. She slept on his chest every night for eighteen years, till she finally passed away in his arms. The rest of us could pet her, but she was attached to him at the hip.

Our last cat, Capin' Tom, was old when I met Jo. When it passed, it was about 20 or 21 years old, and she'd had it since she was a child or teen. And yes, we had to have him put down.
My son's cat was like that. Every afternoon she'd listen for the school bus, then she'd yowl till he came in the house and she'd start purring her little heart out as soon she saw him. She slept on his chest every night for eighteen years, till she finally passed away in his arms. The rest of us could pet her, but she was attached to him at the hip.

Last edited:
Meme I keep seeing that applies here: dogs don't try to hide that they're a little needy and want to be around you all the time. Cats just act like it's a big coincidence that they're in the same room with you 95% of the time.

Cats (imho) are no bullshit creatures and if they've decided you belong to them it's not out of some need to be in a pack. That's one of the things I like about them. In general, of course there are individual exceptions.

Yep. My furry dictator was a feral before we trapped her at about 7 weeks old, and she still has a little bit of wildness in her. But that means that when she comes and pesters me to stop what I'm doing and go keep her company while she watches birds, or headbutts me and settles in for a cuddle, I know that's a choice she made and not something she did because she's been bred to need me.

Our last cat, Capin' Tom, was old when I met Jo. When it passed, it was about 20 or 21 years old, and she'd had it since she was a child or teen. And yes, we had to have him put down.
It's always sad when the time comes and we have to say goodbye. The vet told my son he could take his cat home for a while or put her down, and he opted to bring her home. He made a sling for her, so he could keep her close and she really seemed to like being right up against him until the end.

By necessity we were cat people because they are easier to drag around the world on long assignments than dogs are.

Pets I've had: dogs (many) cats (as many) a goat, rabbits, a rat, a guinea pig, several ferrets, horses and a pink-toed tarantula. Presently: One Australian Cattle Dog (or Blue Heeler if you will) two yellow/orange eyes little black cats and one 13 year old paint mare. Which do I prefer? Read on.

The Heeler is the third one we've had over the past 30 years. Smart, energetic and a pain in the ass, but I wouldn't do without him. Mozzie is his name, which means mosquito and he is just as irritating as one of those.

The two little black bitches that rule the house are Curé named for Madam Curé and Mae, named after Mae Jamison, the first black female astronaut. I said yellow/orange eyed because their eye color sometimes changes from bright yellow to an orange color. I haven't figured out why but when their eyes are orange they are full of hell.

The mare's name is Karma. One of two rescue horses we acquired about 12 years ago. The other one Mandy, died a couple of weeks ago. As far as we could figure she was 37 years old. A long life for a horse. They were both severely undernourished when we got them. Mandy was about 250 lbs. underweight. Karma was 6 months old, but was about the size of a month-old foal. I walk over to the barn every morning and she nuzzles my pockets knowing I have some treats stashed in there for her.

So am I a cat person? A dog person? A horse person? A ferret person? A guinea pig, rabbit, goat or tarantula person? I am all of those.

Comshaw

Back