Can we use real places

Sarah_Delphino

Good Girl
Are we allowed to use real locations in our stories?

My story takes place in my alma mater, a state university of about 15,000 students within a city of about 92,000 people. It contains semi-detailed descriptions of the campus and the buildings of that campus. Are these names and descriptions considered "identifying information"? It would be pretty easy to figure out that I attended that university, but so did 11,000 other people during my tenure there.

I could replace all references and descriptions with made up names, rearrange the university map, and so on, but that would be a huge drag. Eventually, I'd like to submit this novel to a publisher, where such details would be allowed, and I'd rather not maintain two versions.

Thanks!

---

* Aside from brief mentions of a real-life historical figures and real-life authors not at all associated with the university.

Fanfiction is fine here, so real places should be fine too. I’ve used the Austin area a few times with the UT campus, downtown entertainment district, airport, and so on.

I'd say it depends on HOW you use them. Detailing explicit activity at/in/on a famous location could be an issue. In your case, you may be OK.

Schtupping Snow White in the towers of the Magic Kingdom Castle might be an issue.

Are these names and descriptions considered "identifying information"? It would be pretty easy to figure out that I attended that university, but so did 11,000 other people during my tenure there.

So, I take it your real question is not about whether or not it's allowed, but whether or not people could figure out who you are and blame you for writing the story.

I wouldn't worry. Anything public is fine. I don't know about the standard here, but most authors go to great lengths to research for their stories. So, as long as the information you have is attainable through a Google search, don't worry.

And in case your question actually was about whether it's allowed:
As long as your story doesn't give us a detailed description of your actual neighbor's real living room, which could make people who know about that living room think that what you wrote is a factual account regarding your neighbor's sex life, you're golden.

I'd say it's up to you, how much you want to hide your identity and to obscure real places.

For the record, all the research I did for my Celebrity Fanfic stories was through internet search engines and my imagination. I am still ok after posting such stories since 2006. Good luck.

All of my stories take place in the fictitious locale of Sierra Diabla.

By using a non real place, I avoid all of that stuff and it gives me creative freedom on appearances, history, etc.

I do the same thing with a parallel universe where many mythical creatures like aliens and feathered serpents exist, plus I get the ability to amuse myself by making it resemble the real world. Versions of celebrities exist there too, and they are far more crazed sex fiends than their real world counterparts.

Plenty of stories here mention real locations like the Louvre by name. Where you're most likely to run into trouble is if your story can be interpreted as making negative claims about a real person or business.

"We had sex behind the XYZ McDonalds" - probably fine even if the story gives enough info to figure out exactly which McDonalds you're talking about.

"We got food poisoning at the XYZ McDonalds and the manager gave me a blowjob afterwards to keep quiet about it" - maybe not, especially if the manager's description resembles a real employee there.

I write about real places all the time. Using real places lends credibility to a story. Just do enough research that it sounds like you've at least been there once. I'd avoid using real names for obvious reasons if they're more than just side characters. If you're writing about actual people, use the same story but a fictitious name. For instance, I'd have no problem using "General Grant" in a story about the American Civil War if I was just relating his actions relative to the battles. I wouldn't use his name if he was part of the erotic content of the story. I'd make up a name to use.

Back