Biting off more than you can chew

Well, she must have a hell of a lantern jaw if she's going to gnaw off the frank and the beans at the same time. :LOL:

Or else he's packing a cocktail wiener and lentils.
She-demons can do all sorts of stuff, hun. You don’t want to find out 😊.

Em

I have a couple that I need more experience to write them how I want them to be.
I second that one. On the other hand, trying to write them and failing is how you get the experience to write them and succeed. LOL. Some of mine fail miserably but I try and learn from each one.

I'd use my last story, Gangsta's Paradise as an example. First time I've written Noir, and it needs a lot more work. It was supposed to be a lot darker than it was, but it didn't quite feel write and I lightened it up a bit, which I wasn't that happy with. It was also more or less novel length which was new too. I cut a lot out because some of it just didn't gell in my head in time to finish. All in all, it was a great learning experience. Nothing like my best, but it was a good first step and I was pleased with the end result but I know there's so many areas I could improve. It really was biting off a bit more than I could chew but I always find putting yourself under pressure and doing something new pushes you to grow, sometimes in directions you don't expect.

The next iteration is always better as a result. And I have the next iteration planned.....

Last edited:
I think someone referenced upthread the definition of an artist: their best work is the next one, that isn't done yet.
That was me, without the artist bit. I say often, when folk wander in and ask, should I do this, should I do that, with my existing story? No, you shouldn't. Stop futzing with your last story, write the next one. That way, you have two stories, then three, then four.

By the time you've got ten stories under your belt, you've done an apprenticeship. You should have identified your own style by then, got the technical stuff sorted out, learned your strengths and weaknesses as a writer. That's when you're ready to take on a big one, but even so, chutzpah and hubris, keep them on both shoulders like guardian angels, you might need them.

It’s basically a very long set of puns on South Jersey Shore locations 😊.

Em
I'll take your word on it, but I looked through it and I didn't recognize anything. What are the Blunderbuss Cascades referring to? You do mention The Shore, but not that it's in New Jersey. (That's in the endnote.) Then again, I don't know much south of Toms River, or maybe Atlantic City. I've never been to Wildwood, for example. :unsure: Let me correct that: I do know Long Beach Island quite well.

I'll take your word on it, but I looked through it and I didn't recognize anything. What are the Blunderbuss Cascades referring to? You do mention The Shore, but not that it's in New Jersey. (That's in the endnote.) Then again, I don't know much south of Toms River, or maybe Atlantic City. I've never been to Wildwood, for example. :unsure: Let me correct that: I do know Long Beach Island quite well.
It’s set in Wildwood (Feralforest), Cape May (April) and the Delaware (Smelawake) Bay.

The water rides are all based on actual ones at the Raging Waters water park on Mariners’ Pier - one of the three Morey’s Piers.

The names are all twisted versions of the actual rides. As is the restaurant mentioned.

Em

Blunderbuss Cascades = Shotgun Falls

Em

It’s set in Wildwood (Feralforest), Cape May (April) and the Delaware (Smelawake) Bay.

The water rides are all based on actual ones at the Raging Waters water park on Mariners’ Pier - one of the three Morey’s Piers.

The names are all twisted versions of the actual rides. As is the restaurant mentioned.

Em
Yep, I've only been to Cape May once (like twenty years ago) and the other two not at all. Definitely never been to Wildwood.

https://www.moreyspiers.com/water-parks/raging-waters-water-park/slides/shotgun-falls

Back