Biting off more than you can chew

Have I ever taken on a project for which I was not fully prepared?

Yes. The “Passion of Erika Christensen” series comes to mind most easily. Read it, you’ll understand. Read the “Rendezvous” series first to know how I got into the lead character of “Passion”. The “Counseling” series and all my other stories are connected somehow. All my stories are a tangled tapestry. I’m constantly weaving it still as long as I’m alive.

Regarding the “Passion” series, I tried to make it a possible reality as much as possible. A satirical urban fantasy reality with supernatural elements where swinging is socially acceptable within certain ethics (mostly the same as Lit’s), but still a possible reality. And I’m still constantly changing things today to make it right.

The whole series was basically an attempt to redeem certain celebrities in the online erotica world. A young religious celebrity who has a reputation for racy love scenes and high tolerance for other religions wants to become a semi-secret Hollywood swinger. Her religion’s zealots and critics are of course opposed to this for various reasons. It’s ok, she has the Illuminati and the soul of a certain reformist on her side. The series title is a reference to both her and the reformist. She becomes the reformist reincarnated, metaphorically. Other celebrities in the same religion become her friends or at least allies, including the leader. There’s no Gethsemane event in this new version of the “Greatest Story Ever Told”, but there are references to the Second Coming and several other appropriate events.

Most recent changes to canon- Leah Remini was Erika’s associate in the reform movement briefly but never her lover. The offer was made, but it turned out they had incompatible kinks. So she passed the first vetting but not the final one. Later, she switched sides to become a monitor slash double agent for the Illuminati amongst the religion’s critics, same as Mike Rinder. Danny Masterson was also an ally of the reform movement briefly but was also never involved with Erika closely and has now been dismissed from his previous position for reasons of which people in the know should already be aware. Many others are still allies of Erika from the sidelines, just not as close as they once were. At least a few are still her friends, just not as close friends as they once were (Jason Lee and Juliette Lewis are examples). Constant retcons are a bitch.

I just hit submit on a story I have been working on for a long time. RL stuff intervened, plus I was stuck at least twice.

It’s my longest story (32,000 words - which I know is a drop in the ocean for some here). Then, I’ve written a 30,000 word story before. It wasn’t so much the length as the complexity.

So I have:

1. 2 FMCs
  2. 5 just a hair’s breadth below the MC level, two male, three female
  3. The villain of the piece, male, and maybe another rung down
  4. 2 other supporting characters
Again, maybe others are used to casts of 30 plus. But 10 was a lot for me to juggle.

Plus the plot is kinda wide ranging with a lot going on. And inevitably a few McGuffins thrown in.

And it’s a supernatural tale, so more world building required than, say, a sex romp set on the Jersey Shore 😊.

It’s - at the very least - rather ambitious for a relatively new writer (a year and a bit since starting).

Just the continuity has been a massive headache. Plus - as we’ve both mentioned - it’s loosely linked to two stories (maybe three in the future) by @Djmac1031 (one existing and one forthcoming) as well as one of my own existing ones.

I kinda felt like my head was going to explode at points.

I think I need to write some nice, simple stroke stories for a bit 😬.

Have you ever taken on a project that you were probably not really good enough (at present) to fully realize?

Em
I'm too tired to answer this properly until tomorrow. But the Jersey Shore: tentacle monsters come ashore at Asbury Park in 1985. They look around and one of them says, "Man, this is just the wrong place to be." Another one responds, "I've heard it's much better at these towns called The Hamptons over on Long Island." "Okay, let's check that out."

Tentacle monsters do swim in the ocean at least sometimes, right? Or are there different kinds of them? I'm not up to speed on that topic.

I'm too tired to answer this properly until tomorrow. But the Jersey Shore: tentacle monsters come ashore at Asbury Park in 1985. They look around and one of them says, "Man, this is just the wrong place to be." Another one responds, "I've heard it's much better at these towns called The Hamptons over on Long Island." "Okay, let's check that out."

Tentacle monsters do swim in the ocean at least sometimes, right? Or are there different kinds of them? I'm not up to speed on that topic.
Poor Asbury Park.

I keep meaning to ask whether you read my Jersey shore homage.

Em

Last edited:
As I have said before. Hateful man 👅.

Em
Actually, I was reviewing my prescriptions and there was one I've been on forever. I asked my doctor why I was on it and she wasn't sure, it was prescribed by another doc. So I quit it. And it was like a dam opening. I've been writing 10 - 12 hours a day since July.

Actually, I was reviewing my prescriptions and there was one I've been on forever. I asked my doctor why I was on it and she wasn't sure, it was prescribed by another doc. So I quit it. And it was like a dam opening. I've been writing 10 - 12 hours a day since July.
Ugh!!!!

Again, maybe others are used to casts of 30 plus. But 10 was a lot for me to juggle.
I have one story here with 60 named characters but only 10 of these were significant players in the tale. Most of my stories involve multiple major characters and a large supporting cast.

Story-boarding is critical for me to keep characters and plot elements consistent. I utilize an Excel spreadsheet with separate tabs for each new story in development and I can use these to easily refer back to timelines and character traits from prior stories if necessary.

Danger Will Robinson - Off Topic

Knowing sympathy here. I can visualize the number of meds you're on, D, and that it's a challenge to keep up with everything. My Dad was that way; multiple doctors, in some cases multiple pharmacies, and he was taking some of the dozen-plus meds to deal with the side-effects of others. That's what killed him - an ER visit for a heart episode resulted in yet another doctor prescribing something totally wrong in combination with one of his standing scripts because the doc obviously wasn't aware of it. My takeaway is to keep a current list clearly visible in my wallet if memory fails in the ER, or I'm not conscious.

I watch my meds like a hawk, researching anything before starting something new, learning what I can about side-effects and interactions. F'rinstance, I reviewed my statins last week since I was taking a really expensive one (mentioned in the coffee shop), and discovered that a generic for <1% of the price had the features I needed, at least according to the formal papers I read. We'll see how it goes.

I'm a little disappointed that no one seems to have made a 'spit or swallow' joke about the title of this thread.
😮‍💨💦🤢

Back