Best current guidance on Literotica and AI

Going back to my original; comment: "It's not a matter of should, it's practicality. If your style doesn't get past the current gatekeeper, whatever that is, AI or otherwise, then you can either suffer the rebukes of the gatekeeper, or you can change your style. One you have complete control over. One you do not."

Facts:
  1. Today, right now, the admins of this site employ an AI check of some kind.
  2. This AI checker seems to be style based.
  3. You, me, the other writers that use this site have no control of the AI checker in place.
    1. We can try to influence to Admins, offer advice, bitch, complain, but they are the ones that decide.
  4. We control the style of our stories, only us, no one else(unless you're using an AI to generate them)
It occurs to my obviously simplistic mind, that, as things work today, we can either meet the style guidelines or not have our stories published. It's not rocket science.

Since I made that comment, things seems to have escalated to a discussion of whether or not we should just accept that things are the way they are, or should we just lay back and take it. If you are not happy with the way things are and have 'influence', then by all means use it. Scream shout, pick fights with people you think disagree with you. Go for it. If you want to pack up your Legos and go play in a different sandbox, you're free to do that as well. These are all things you can control, choices you can make. What you can't control is the workings of this site behind the curtain. That ability is limited to, as far as I know, Laurel and Manu.

Maybe your influence works, maybe it doesn't. Until things change the facts above are the same.

If your stories are getting rejected for AI, you can either change them or accept that RIGHT NOW, they are not going to get published.

Last edited:
  1. We can try to influence to Admins, offer advice, bitch complain, but they are the ones that decide.
Yep, this is me using whatever argument and influence I can muster to influence site decisions. And for that you're responding with a "just shut up, roll over and take it" response.

Go fish.

Yep, this is me using whatever argument and influence I can muster to influence site decisions. And for that you're responding with a "just shut up, roll over and take it" response.

Go fish.
Granted I hit the enter key by accident and you responded before my complete comment was posted. I've never said this, but it's within my expectations of your argumentative style that you would misconstrue my words in such a way.
Please take a moment to read my entire comment and adjust as necessary.

Granted I hit the enter key by accident and you responded before my complete comment was posted. I've never said this, but it's within my expectations of your argumentative style that you would misconstrue my words in such a way.
Please take a moment to read my entire comment and adjust as necessary.
I don't think so. My "style" is to just stop when the "discussion" gets circular. I think I've posted what I needed to post.

It's not my ox being gored on this issue.

A suggestion, could everyone kindly calm the fuck down.

We have different points of view, but we don’t need to argue.

Emily

For the The Book Alphabet game, I want to post this novel after the next D entry.

The Corpse Danced at Midnight, by JB Fletcher. But they might not get the joke of it all.

Last edited:
Scavenger hunt, let's see if we can find printed copies of JB's biggest-selling books.

The Corpse Danced at Midnight, Dirge for a Dead Dachshund, A Faded Rose Beside Her, Murder on the Amazon, The Umbrella Murders, Murder at the Inn, Murder at the Digs, Murder in a Minor Key, The Stain on the Stairs, The Mystery of the Mutilated Minion, The Belgrade Murders, Sanitarium of Death, Calvin Canterbury's Revenge, Murder at the Asylum, Murder Comes to Maine, Ashes, Ashes, Fall Down Dead, ‘Goodbye, Charlie,’ ‘Yours Truly, Damian Sinclair,’ The Corpse That Wasn't There, The Messengers of Midnight, The Poison in My Heart, All the Murderers, Murder at the Ridge Top, The Corpse Swam by Moonlight, The Killer Called Collect, The Corpse at Vespers, The Triple Crown Murders, The Crypt of Death, A Killing at Hastings Rock, The Uncaught, Murder in White, The Dead Man Sang, Stone Cold Dead on Wall Street, Endangered, The Launch Pad Murders, Runway to Murder, The Venomous Valentine, A Case and a Half of Murder, The Zero Aspect

I'll start us off, The Corpse Danced at Midnight it's light on plot and words, though.

I'm calm as a corpse dancing at midnight. No, wait, that's not right. I'm calm. That's what I meant.
Sorry I gotta say it. You may be calm but you’re annoying as fuck. I mean the way you put your responses ABOVE what you’re quoting. The post scrolls to the bottom on my phone and I have to scroll back up to see what you said. Girl, it’s just got to stop. 🤣♥️♥️♥️

The most common issue is where the author has got Grammarly to alter their writing style. It’s not the only issue, but it’s the most frequent.

I fail to understand the allure of Grammarly to be honest
People won't like me saying this, but a capable writer shouldn't really need help with the basics of grammar. If they keep using software to get good grammar, they're never going to learn the basics themselves.

I feel your frustration and despair @Portly_Penguin. I have hit a wall in my own communication with the website, although it's nothing as profound as your case. But it was still enough to make me decide to stop publishing my stories here for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't have had even half of your patience and calm in trying to overcome the issues you were facing, so in that sense, I applaud your cool-headed approach.

That being said, this is as good an example as any of why this silent-dictatorship kind of governing the website sucks balls for us. If you are in the green then hurrah, but as soon you have a problem, you really have a problem.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything @KeithD posted except for the part where he still sees this as a partnership of a sort. It might have been a sort of partnership back in the earlier days but I don't think it is anymore. I would have loved it if it were so. But no, this is a dictatorship, and once again, it's 100% Laurel's choice to run her website any way she sees fit, even if it means ignoring the authors and staying deaf to their needs. It's her website, her baby, and 100% her choice, and we can all ultimately take it or leave it.
But that is also why I think that the things she says to some authors in PMs are just platitudes and empty pleas. You don't get to be a dictator and then ask for understanding and patience. I have no sympathy or empathy for dictators.

Sorry, Em, it had to be said.

I have no words.
Alrighty, I've been thinking about this for the past few hours and I think it might be time for me to bow out of these threads and the discussion as a whole.

I've been pretty vocal about this situation from day one, way back in October when I got my first AI Rejection. Back then, I had no idea it would spiral into 14 AI Rejections and a 2 month long journey to try to get a single part published without a kick-back. I know there are people that would look at the lengths at which I've gone to these past two months and wonder why the fuck I've even bothering to put the effort in when it's clear nothing is going to happen.

The reason was because it hurts.

Not being believed around AI usage as someone that's been writing for years is one of the worst accusations to face. It's something that really just sits in your mind and, even if you know you're innocent, the doubt still manages to creep in there. It becomes a point when you begin to doubt yourself as a writer, doubt your skills, and even doubt whether it's a genuine rejection or if it's personal. The rejection gets into your psyche and it's near-impossible to shake.

It becomes more of trying to prove my innocence than wanting the part published for people to read. The longer it goes on for, the more it feels like a personal attack on my writing and my person rather than a genuine reason for rejection. Although I know it's not the case, the thoughts are still there. If I don't fight it, then I feel like I'm just rolling over and accepting the accusations when I know full-well that the thing I'm being accused of never happened.

After a while, the fight gets exhausting. Having taken part in countless threads regarding the issue over the past few months, they all go the same way. It becomes a tit-for-tat argument between those who think there's a problem with the system, and those who think we should just take it for what it is, or move sites. There have been people claiming that we're lying if we say we don't use Grammarly as a tool. It sucks. We're already fighting a battle over our work, and then we come here and fight another battle of defending ourselves against others who think we're lying.

I have never hidden the fact that I used Grammarly for the early chapters of my work, it's something I've continuously been open and honest with. Once I realised there was an issue, I stopped using it. However, I know that by being so open about my previous use of the tool, it puts me as a potential red flag. There comes a time when I have to admit that the problem with the constant rejections was my fault. I was the one that messed up, I was the one that ultimately caused my entire account to be flagged an issue - which is what I think is happening here.

Everyone is trying to find out what might be causing the rejections, but at the end of the day, I genuinely think it was what I did when I first started posting that caused it. I tried to be honest, and shot myself in the foot.

I will always acknowledge that AI is a problem and that there is a reason for the rules to be in place, I've never argued anything to the contrary on the issue despite all the rejections. The issue is there, and Laurel has every right to protect the site from those who wish to try to inundate it with AI work. It's no mean feat and I don't hold anything against her even after the past few months.

At this point, and despite the countless offers from the awesome people on these forums, I think the fight has run its course. I've done everything I can to try and get through a system that is actively working against me. It doesn't feel like there is anything else I can do. The fact is that even if I can get Part 5 through the system, there is no guarantee that I won't keep getting hit with rejection after rejection and that the merry-go-round will continue with every story I try to post.

I'm watching people finally get their way through the system, finally get their stories published after weeks of trying, and I'm still here. I'm just sitting here, watching it from the side lines and doing my best to cheer people on, but it hurts. It hurts to know that the likelihood is the story won't ever make it through despite the edits I've made over the past 2 months.

The situation sucks and I hope to God no one else has to suffer through it like this. Maybe I'm being dramatic, and you're free to view it that way if you want, but this really is a shitty situation to be in, especially when all I wanted to do was write and share this story with the Lit community.

Not being able to do that is the worst.

At this point, I do think I need to step back and fully re-evaluate where I stand and what I do moving forward. Whether I decide to full give up, or come back and try again, I don't know. I just need some time, I think.

It means I can't think of fucking thing to say. Nothing to make you feel better. No advice about how to get past the AI tag. Not a single thought of how I can convince you to keep on keeping on. I feel like a failure.
And I don't know how to take that as a response 😂

Alrighty, I've been thinking about this for the past few hours and I think it might be time for me to bow out of these threads and the discussion as a whole.

I've been pretty vocal about this situation from day one, way back in October when I got my first AI Rejection. Back then, I had no idea it would spiral into 14 AI Rejections and a 2 month long journey to try to get a single part published without a kick-back. I know there are people that would look at the lengths at which I've gone to these past two months and wonder why the fuck I've even bothering to put the effort in when it's clear nothing is going to happen.

Not being believed around AI usage as someone that's been writing for years is one of the worst accusations to face. It's something that really just sits in your mind and, even if you know you're innocent, the doubt still manages to creep in there. It becomes a point when you begin to doubt yourself as a writer, doubt your skills, and even doubt whether it's a genuine rejection or if it's personal. The rejection gets into your psyche and it's near-impossible to shake.

It becomes more of trying to prove my innocence than wanting the part published for people to read. The longer it goes on for, the more it feels like a personal attack on my writing and my person rather than a genuine reason for rejection. Although I know it's not the case, the thoughts are still there. If I don't fight it, then I feel like I'm just rolling over and accepting the accusations when I know full-well that the thing I'm being accused of never happened.

After a while, the fight gets exhausting. Having taken part in countless threads regarding the issue over the past few months, they all go the same way. It becomes a tit-for-tat argument between those who think there's a problem with the system, and those who think we should just take it for what it is, or move sites. There have been people claiming that we're lying if we say we don't use Grammarly as a tool. It sucks. We're already fighting a battle over our work, and then we come here and fight another battle of defending ourselves against others who think we're lying.

I have never hidden the fact that I used Grammarly for the early chapters of my work, it's something I've continuously been open and honest with. Once I realised there was an issue, I stopped using it. However, I know that by being so open about my previous use of the tool, it puts me as a potential red flag. There comes a time when I have to admit that the problem with the constant rejections was my fault. I was the one that messed up, I was the one that ultimately caused my entire account to be flagged an issue - which is what I think is happening here.

Everyone is trying to find out what might be causing the rejections, but at the end of the day, I genuinely think it was what I did when I first started posting that caused it. I tried to be honest, and shot myself in the foot.

I will always acknowledge that AI is a problem and that there is a reason for the rules to be in place, I've never argued anything to the contrary on the issue despite all the rejections. The issue is there, and Laurel has every right to protect the site from those who wish to try to inundate it with AI work. It's no mean feat and I don't hold anything against her even after the past few months.

At this point, and despite the countless offers from the awesome people on these forums, I think the fight has run its course. I've done everything I can to try and get through a system that is actively working against me. It doesn't feel like there is anything else I can do. The fact is that even if I can get Part 5 through the system, there is no guarantee that I won't keep getting hit with rejection after rejection and that the merry-go-round will continue with every story I try to post.

I'm watching people finally get their way through the system, finally get their stories published after weeks of trying, and I'm still here. I'm just sitting here, watching it from the side lines and doing my best to cheer people on, but it hurts. It hurts to know that the likelihood is the story won't ever make it through despite the edits I've made over the past 2 months.

The situation sucks and I hope to God no one else has to suffer through it like this. Maybe I'm being dramatic, and you're free to view it that way if you want, but this really is a shitty situation to be in, especially when all I wanted to do was write and share this story with the Lit community.

At this point, I do think I need to step back and fully re-evaluate where I stand and what I do moving forward. Whether I decide to full give up, or come back and try again, I don't know. I just need some time, I think.
🫂🫂🫂🫂🫂

Emily

I feel your frustration and despair @Portly_Penguin. I have hit a wall in my own communication with the website, although it's nothing as profound as your case. But it was still enough to make me decide to stop publishing my stories here for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't have had even half of your patience and calm in trying to overcome the issues you were facing, so in that sense, I applaud your cool-headed approach.

That being said, this is as good an example as any of why this silent-dictatorship kind of governing the website sucks balls for us. If you are in the green then hurrah, but as soon you have a problem, you really have a problem.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything @KeithD posted except for the part where he still sees this as a partnership of a sort. It might have been a sort of partnership back in the earlier days but I don't think it is anymore. I would have loved it if it were so. But no, this is a dictatorship, and once again, it's 100% Laurel's choice to run her website any way she sees fit, even if it means ignoring the authors and staying deaf to their needs. It's her website, her baby, and 100% her choice, and we can all ultimately take it or leave it.
But that is also why I think that the things she says to some authors in PMs are just platitudes and empty pleas. You don't get to be a dictator and then ask for understanding and patience. I have no sympathy or empathy for dictators.

Sorry, Em, it had to be said.
Not sure why you are making it about you. As you say @Portly_Penguin has been through a lot worse.

Emily

Not sure why you are making it about you. As you say @Portly_Penguin has been through a lot worse.

Emily
That wasn't my intention. I mentioned my case only to show that I have a strong reason to sympathize with his clearly much more serious case. I think we should all realize that this could have been any one of us in his place. I wish I could offer more than my verbal support :(

Don't go away.

You've got a viewpoint that (unfortunately) makes you the subject-matter expert on AI rejection at Lit. So I hope you'll stick around and continue to contribute here, even if you feel you must step back from writing.

Either way, take care.

Maybe we writers should be pro-active and check our own work before submitting it. Here's a free Web-based checker:

https://writer.com/ai-content-detector/

I tried it out on my recently-publish 750-word story, and got 99% probability that it was human-written, which was gratifying. Another one got 98%.

I tested it on this passage (60 words):

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair."

Its verdict: 51% human-generated content. Bit surprising since it's from a novel published in 1859.

Then I tried on a slightly longer version (185 words):

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only. There were a king with a large jaw and a queen with a plain face, on the throne of England; there were a king with a large jaw and a queen with a fair face, on the throne of France. In both countries it was clearer than crystal to the lords of the State preserves of loaves and fishes, that things in general were settled for ever."

Same site now says: 90% human-generated content.

Then again, on the whole of Chapter 1 (1001 words): 99% human-generated content.

(If the first 60 words are only 51% human-generated, is it even possible for the first 1001 words to be 99% human-generated? That doesn't seem to add up.)

Then I tested it on this passage, generated by ChatGPT in response to the prompt "Write about going to the supermarket, in the style of Charles Dickens":

It was a brisk evening in the heart of London, where the gas lamps flickered with a subdued glow, casting elongated shadows upon the cobblestone streets. Amidst this urban labyrinth stood the grand emporium known as Mr. Pickwick's Mercantile, a beacon of commerce amidst the clamor of the city.

As the hour approached dusk, a motley assortment of individuals converged upon its threshold, their faces obscured by scarves and shawls to shield against the biting chill. Among them was young Timothy Cratchit, a lad of meager means but boundless ambition, tasked with the solemn duty of procuring sustenance for his modest family.

With a weathered list clutched tightly in hand, Timothy ventured forth into the labyrinthine aisles of Mr. Pickwick's Mercantile, where pyramids of canned goods towered precariously and shelves groaned beneath the weight of provisions. The air was thick with the mingling scents of spice and decay, a testament to the abundance and impermanence of earthly delights.

At every turn, Timothy found himself assailed by a cacophony of voices, each clamoring for attention like so many beggars at a street corner. Peddlers hawked their wares with persuasive zeal, extolling the virtues of this flour or that loaf of bread with practiced eloquence.

But amidst the chaos, Timothy remained resolute in his purpose, navigating the labyrinth with the skill of a seasoned navigator. With each item crossed off his list, he felt a surge of pride swell within his breast, a small victory in the ceaseless battle against want and deprivation.

Yet, as he approached the final aisle, Timothy's triumph was tempered by a twinge of melancholy, for he knew that his meager earnings could only stretch so far. With a heavy heart, he made his selection and proceeded to the checkout counter, where a weary clerk tallied his purchases with indifferent efficiency.

As Timothy emerged from the emporium into the cool embrace of the night, he was filled with a sense of weary satisfaction. Though the burdens of poverty weighed heavily upon his shoulders, he took solace in the knowledge that he had provided for his family as best he could, in a world that showed little mercy to those of humble means.

That site says: 68% human-generated. The correct answer would be more like 3%, given my 12-word prompt vs. the 364 words that GPT produced. A few other examples with text generated by GPT from simple prompts scored around 70%, better than poor old Charles Dickens' famous opening line.

These "AI detectors" are scams. They may do slightly better than a magic 8-ball, but not so much better that one should be trusting them for anything, let alone trying to guess how to earn their good opinion.

Back