Barbie the Hot Pagan Witch (NOT)

G

Long post, but you can skip the reading below and simply tell me how Barbie might have played a part (role) in your life. Me? Never took to her, never owned one (when I was the age to do so she was just too gringa for la muchachita Perdita).

But I remember about 15 years ago, a friend's 12 year old daughter having Ken and Barbie fight viciously while the girl recreated her parent's "arguments". I thought then Barbie served a good purpose, e.g., "acting out".

I do appreciate the 'camp' around the doll. SF used to have a Barbie museum of sorts in The Castro, wherein all sorts of role-play was assigned to the girl and her Ken and kin, including gay/lesbian scenarios, bdsm, trannies, etc. If inspired I might dress 'er up as a Zapatista; might prove ironic given she'd be totally covered but for those iconic eyes.

Perdita (who was never into dolls)

BarbieWicca

Barbie The Hot Pagan Witch - It's the bimbo blond doll's latest Wicca-like incarnation, ready to "poison" young girls' minds
By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist, Wednesday, October 29, 2003 / ©2003 SF Gate

Listen up, naughty girls.

Do you long to be an "ordinary schoolgirl" by day who "transforms at night" into some sort of scary pink-robed glittery giggly perky blond pseudo-witch "magical enchantress" thing, perusing your "book of spells" with its plethora of "mysterious compartments" that "hold your secrets," along with recipes for concocting real potions "you can actually drink?"

You do? Well Jesus with an orgasmic wolf howl and some heavy goth eyeliner, are you ever in luck.

Because just in time for Halloween and just in time to make a few thousand hyper-Christian parental brows furrow with consternation and spiritual constipation, and just in time to make any true Wiccan roll her eyes and flick this story away like so much bad juju, here comes Secret Spells Barbie.

That's right, it's Mattel's latest Wiccan-flavored mutation of the famous and famously obnoxious pneumatic blond dingbat, joining the likes of Barbie Loves Spongebob Squarepants and the Barbie Romance Novel Giftset and Princess of the Portuguese Empire Barbie and Spirit of the Earth Barbie (all genuine items, alas).

Not to mention the long-desired Manic Depressive PR Exec Divorcée Barbie and Resentful Proctologist Barbie and Bloated Don't-You-Freaking-Touch-Me PMS Barbie and Desperately Lonely National Security Advisor "Condi" Barbie, with bonus Spinning Head feature. All, presumably, coming soon.

Hey, witches are cool. Everyone knows witches are cool. Way, way cool. Willow from "Buffy" was cool, and the vaguely lesbian witchly threesome on "Charmed" are ostensibly cool (in a bitchy backstabbing black-mascara mall-hopping sort of way), and even "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is passably cool if you're, like, 12, ditto the entire whack "Sailor Moon" anime universe, because anime is just way cool, just by default.

And of course Harry Potter, the king himself, is still despoiling millions of young minds with his blasphemous heathen wizard spells and preteen angst and secret burgeoning lust to discover what magic dazzling transformational enchanted wunderfrump lies beneath Hermione's knickers.

Yes, Secret Spells Barbie is a witch. Sort of. But not really. Even though she is. But Mattel would never dare call her that, of course. Barbie just, you know, dabbles. Plays around. Casts a "spell," then twirls her hair and pops her gum and giggles a lot and then goes shopping. This is what Barbie does.

Nothing seriously Wiccan here, nothing remotely intelligent or in depth or knowledgeable about true witchcraft or magick or Wiccan belief, of course, because were Mattel to venture too far and dare to actually educate or inspire young maidens to shun church and embrace nature and dye their hair black and change their name to Raven Wolfdancer and start holding slumber parties/yoni awakenings on the winter solstice, why, terrified Christians would almost certainly rise up and light torches and march on their local pseudo-Christian Wal-Marts, which would immediately stop carrying the demonic lesbian Wiccan dolls that only masquerade as oversequined sanitized blonds with the equivalent of 39-inch chests.

No, SS Barbie apparently takes witchcraft about as seriously as, say, a hair barrette. About as seriously as the caulking on the Dream House. About as seriously as Ken's deeply repressed desire for a Barbie-size strap-on and a serious S&M whipping.

And yet. Apparently there's a TV commercial for this new doll, one that instructs Secret Spells Barbie fans to gather "at a secret time, in a secret place" to enact these "secret spells."

And then it cuts to a shot of our fair witches-in-training "secreted" away at the library mixing "potions" and "doing spells" and one rogue girl perks up and asks whether the spells actually work, and sure enough right then a hunky teen boy appears and strolls right up to the girl who has the Secret Spells "kit," and she grins all knowingly and enchantingly and giggle titter wink ooh isn't this wacky witchcraft fun?

It is just so cute. And it is just so sad. Because you could argue that Secret Spells Barbie signifies the ultimate saccharine dumbed-down heavily bleached mainstreaming of witchcraft and Wicca, sucking poor little Harry Potter dry and embarrassing even Sabrina and deflating all the joy and sexiness and funky chthonic wonder out of witchcraft and magic, and for this Mattel can rightfully be jeered at and besotted with night sweats and made to wear the Cursed Necklace of Dhzarzebub. Or something.

And, furthermore, you could say that Witch Wanna-Be Barbie exemplifies a deep and rather obnoxious insult to true Wiccans everywhere, the equivalent of Mattel launching some sort of perky bare-thighed Islamic Fundamentalist Barbie or maybe Frigid Catholic Nun Barbie or Wide-Eyed Rosicrucianist Barbie or even Creepy Cult of Scientology Barbie with Deluxe Tinfoil Hat and Fanatical Grin.

You could say that. But it's not really worth it. Because more than anything else, you just have to say that this incarnation of the world's best-selling virgin, this premolded hunk of insidious white plastic that inflicts the initial lashings of the American beauty myth on millions of young girls, is utterly, shamelessly useless.

Secret Spells Barbie is, despite her potential and much like every one of the 150,000 weird sub-subniche Barbies on the market, entirely pointless and disposable and, unless the girls who end up with her somehow tap into their inner badass witchiness and suddenly get inspired by some divine funky moonscream to rip off Barbie's arms and paint her hair bright red and tattoo her nipples with a Magic Marker and impale her on a red-hot hair pin and suspend her upside down from a dreamcatcher, well, she does nothing to further the cause of funky gorgeous goddess-thick witchness and nothing to further the cause of earthly luscious pagan interconnectedness or divine feminine power.

Not that she claims to. Not that this was ever Mattel's point, or Barbie's raison d'etre, really. And I suppose it's sort of wildly unfair to hope that Barbie might actually inspire girls beyond the hair-twirling saccharine fetishism of shopping and friends and cars and boys and shopping and money and dye jobs and shopping and fake careerism and shopping.

But in Secret Spells Barbie, there was a glimpse. There was a glimmer of hope that underneath her massive drapery of blond follicles and beneath that massive melon chest and beneath that huge pink cheap sequined magic robe beat the raw red heart of a latent pagan priestess, just dying to bust out of that whitebread virgin faux-Christian Botox world and get it on with the divine, even a little. Alas, it's not to be.

Oh, Barbie. When, oh when, will you strip down and writhe in the woods and howl at the moon?

I never played with Barbies. My daughter does though. She has several. She'll play with her Barbies for awhile and then switch to her baby dolls. I think she plays with them in more of a *mommy* role than using them to act out anything.

Bad Barbie

I think my favorite doll was Raggedy Andy (go figure...all the littlest kid photos of me show me dragging him around), and what I loved most were my bike and my rollar skates (good for quick getaways), but I did have a Barbie and a Ken.

I kept them nude most of the time (cleary a future Literotican in training), but other than that the only memory of them that stands out is this. I'm sitting on my bedroom floor playing. I guess I'm 7 or 8. Barbie and Ken, in their usual nudist state, are dumped unceremoniously in the backseat of Barbie's Little Red Corvette (or whatever it was called :)). My mother walks in and upon spotting what I guess she thought was illicit doll sex, flips, and tells me to "just keep their clothes on !" She leaves in a huff.

Lol. I had no clue at the time whyever she would make such a dopey request. Maybe it did have a subliminal effect though because I sometimes use the attached as an AV.

I hated Barbie, absolutely hated her. All I wanted was stuffed animals, especially rabbits and puppies and All I ever got from my relatives was barbie this and barbie that and .. Arrgh. When I got old enough I let my little brothers stage barbie executions with .22 rifles, wd-40 and a ligher and M-80's.

My favorite barbie now is Divorce' barbie. Sells for 199.00$ and comes with Ken's car, Ken's house and Ken's boat ;)

-Colly

giggle

hiya perdy, i didn't do barbie either, sorry rephrase that i never had a barbie doll, like you too 'mature' they were still an unknown novelty when i was a kid.

our little'un laura who's coming 13 now has always been a barbie fan in fits and starts and we have a few about the house.

my biggest problem has always been 'separating' action man and barbie before laura spotted the pose where the two older boys have had their little joke. giggle.

wicca barbie, sounds fun. he said any sheep involved;) ?

lorri xxxxxxx

Lorri, you've got me way beyond giggles. Just had a wicked idea for the now defunct Barbie museum: a diorama featuring Ken as Pirate Pops, any Barbie, and a few sheep; all set in some idyllic English countryside.

Perdya :kiss:

We now have an entire generation of women who grew up thinking Ken was an accessory.

He always was, but then Barbie does not approximate real life. Not mine anyway. Anyway there's something fundamentally wrong with a doll whose clothes cost more than mine.

giggle again

perdita said:
Lorri, you've got me way beyond giggles. Just had a wicked idea for the now defunct Barbie museum: a diorama featuring Ken as Pirate Pops, any Barbie, and a few sheep; all set in some idyllic English countryside.

Perdya :kiss:

don't forget the wellies for ken:devil: :D (he said)

perdita said:

And of course Harry Potter, the king himself, is still despoiling millions of young minds with his blasphemous heathen wizard spells and preteen angst and secret burgeoning lust to discover what magic dazzling transformational enchanted wunderfrump lies beneath Hermione's knickers.

Harry.gif
:D

Flicka, I was so counting on you reading that line. I love the term "wunderfrump".

Perdy :heart:

I had Barbies, but my favorite was my Darci doll. A bit bigger than barbie, more realistic figure, much better looking and cooler clothes.

Oh, yeah, and her hips were jointed so my large-size Luke Skywalker preferred her as well! Darci could do a full Russian split.

Mostly I liked to set up houses and pose Barbies in them. Finding little bits of junk that could be turned into Barbie home-decor was a favorite pasttime. Fixing hair and playing super-heroes and simulating sex..... a lot.

I don't get too worked up over Barbie-politics. Like any toy, the child determines what it represents by the way s/he plays.

I had to giggle over the article, though, because I'm sure I've met some real-life Barbie-style Wiccans. yikes!!

-B

I wonder if my mother still has the Barbie I made anatomically correct by using a wood drill on her hollow plastic pelvis. Unfortunately, the drill skidded a bit--her orifice was more or less in the back-door area. Ken got a masculine appendage custom-made of modeling clay, but wasn't able to make much use of it, because Barbie's legs just wouldn't spread.

It was an interesting experiment, but ultimately unsatisfying. I think I was about twelve at the time. :)

MM

Madame Manga said:
... Barbie's legs just wouldn't spread.
Wow, this is interesting as I never even examined a Barbie. The legs not spreading must have been very deliberate given her overall anatomy. Thanks, MM.

Perdita

I had Barbies. I mostly liked to pretend they were refugees and make things for them that they could wrap up in tissue and give to each other as gifts to cheer themselves up in their abandoned cave.

My mother was a lesbian and didn't like Ken, but she broke down and bought me one for Christmas one year. He was the only one I had for seven Barbies so I married him to the one who looked the oldest and the most motherly. He was very faithful.

One of my mother's boyfriends (pre lesbianhood) once bought me a black Barbie. I suppose he was being a very down white boyfriend. I remember being surprised by how dark she was. I don't know whatever happened to her.

I agree with Bridgeburner... it isn't the doll itself that determines how you play with her and what she means. I played with Barbie but I was still excited to sit in the Susan B. Anthony chair at the NOW meetings.

Some random musings on my Barbie experiences.

Thanks for the article, Perdita...

At the Dresden music festival, an opera by Irish composer, Jennifer Walshe, titled XXX Live Nude Girls features real Barbie dolls in a Barbie house, manipulated by a puppeteer and projected onto large screens with musicians and singers unseen.

“I was a tomboy," Walshe says, "so I didn't play much with dolls, but I did play with Barbie because she had such great accessories." She researched the opera by talking to girls about how they really played with their Barbies, uncovering a dark vein of Barbie abuse that would horrify her creators at Mattel.”

Barbie: the Opera

My G.I. Joes used to capture my little sister's Barbies and hold them for ransom ... that fuck Ken was such a wimp. No kung-fu grip at all.

The designer who made these barbies was sued by Mattel, but the court ruled that she wasn't infringing on Mattel's market, since Mattel didn't have a similar product line ...

barbie_cane_200.jpg

barbie_200.jpg

When I played with Barbie and Ken, they either did it doggy-style, or just laid on top of each other.

Years later, I heard about a position just like that, used in cultures where the woman has to be a virgin until her weddingnight. The guy lays on top of the woman, with his dick between her thighs, and rubs it between them until he comes. If he's in the right angle, he might rub her clit too, and make her come. (Unless she's one of the poor souls who's been mutilated. Female circumcision sucks gorilla nuts!:mad: )

I had barbie's, Skippers, and whatever the hell the littler ones name turned out to be.

When I was about six or seven I used to tie the barbie's up :rolleyes: or have one barbie kidnap the other and torture her. Those're my earliest memories of the dolls.

Later my friend Josie and I used to have concerts with our barbie's where we pressed play on the tape player and had them "sing" to one another.

Is that weird?

Chicklet

I had one barbie,I was fairly young...6 or 7 at the time...i chewed on one of her hands..chewed and chewed till her fingers were long and straight and longer than her legs.

Now what does that say about me?

Oh and we had a doll...not a barbie..a baby doll with a soft body and hard plastic limbs. Her arm fell of but we kept her because she was disabled. eventually both arms and both legs fell off and thern one fatefull day she ended up as just a head. She got thrown away then...She was called Jenny I think.

Back