A Question for the Oldies

On the subject of 80s movies, many of you youngsters likely never heard of the movie, S.O.B. Where Julie Andrews talks about her 'boobies'
tumblr_mz5ts3V5wd1qhdvf5o6_500.gif

*Actually, she exposes her boobies
Never seen it. Sorry.

Em

Never seen it. Sorry.

Em
You can probably rent it. I thought it was a hilarious comedy spoofing Hollywood. It's a very self-referential movie about a wholesome movie star who's husband convinces her to do a topless scene. Julie Andrews's a riot, as that GIF hints at. I'm a big fan of satire.

And it's a chance to see Julie Andrews topless.

You can probably rent it. I thought it was a hilarious comedy spoofing Hollywood. It's a very self-referential movie about a wholesome movie star who's husband convinces her to do a topless scene. Julie Andrews's a riot, as that GIF hints at. I'm a big fan of satire.

And it's a chance to see Julie Andrews topless.
As in Mary Poppins?

Em

Talking about the old days, the original Universal version of Frankenstein made in excess of three million dollars one nickel at a time. Universal's 'Monster' was on a salary of less than $1000.00 a month.

What was it like going to see one of the 1970s / 80s blockbusters at the theater?
It was an event, especially if you went to the theater on opening weekend. You’d get back to school or work on Monday and maybe you’re the only one who saw it, so you offered an opinion that made others interested… or not.

When my kids were young, in the 90s, they were always the ones who saw movies on opening weekend. It was a family tradition.

Streaming is great but the communal experience of seeing a great comedy - with hundreds of people laughing - or a horror film with them screaming, is so much better. It’s just a pain to go out sometimes, and expensive for a family.

I’m dying to see Napoleon on IMAX but dread going near a mall this time of year. Humbug.

Last edited:
Yeah, and less than ten years before, a henchman said, "Fuck you," to an annoying caller in "Scarface." then the Code appeared and removed the word, and he just slammed the phone down with his lips moving but no sound.
And to think that line was incredibly scandalous for the times.

Me too, or to, or two, well, it should be, Me too, two.
You would talk about up coming or movies premiering that weekend with people at school. Then you had to finagle the money aspect, then take a bus down town to the theater. In Winnipeg, the movie theaters were works of art, converted from live theater to show film. The seats were plush, the lobbies had chandeliers and carpeting. It was an event.

I still love watching old movies, film noir and technicolor are phenomenally displayed on our great new TV sets. Incredible that the cameras and techniques used in the 40s, and 50s are so vital and vibrant today.

I’ve heard people talk about a sense of wonder. Of occasion. Not sure I’ve ever experienced that at the theater.

Em

Some movies got a lot of buzz and quickly became mass cultural events. True shared experiences for the whole population.

That definitely happened for Jaws and Star Wars, but for many others as well.

Some movies got a lot of buzz and quickly became mass cultural events. True shared experiences for the whole population.

That definitely happened for Jaws and Star Wars, but for many others as well.
The one that hit me and a lot of my friends (all 13/14 on its release) was Blade Runner. I think it was in part Harrison, but also Rutger Hauer, Daryl Hannah and William Sanderson together in J F Sebastian's workshop, and that soundtrack by Vangelis.

Last edited:
I still remember the lineup around the block when we went to see "Everything you wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask" 1972
As someone else pointed out, there was no advertising to start the film. It was hilarious for the time and moral codes. We talked & giggled about it for a long time after.

There were earlier ones like "The Sound Of Music" and other musical shows, but I was pretty young. My parents raised me on them. The music from R&H was playing constantly in our house.

I remember a local theater where every seat for any showing was $1.99. This was called a 'second run' theater where they wouldn't get the new releases until they'd been out a couple months and out of the major ones.

But for $10 I could take my girlfriend to a movie and get a soda and some popcorn...which I did after putting another $10 in my car at .89 a gallon.

Price gouging, for sure.
I remember a local theater where every seat for any showing was $1.99. This was called a 'second run' theater where they wouldn't get the new releases until they'd been out a couple months and out of the major ones.

But for $10 I could take my girlfriend to a movie and get a soda and some popcorn...which I did after putting another $10 in my car at .89 a gallon.

Back