Christmas Spirits from the past

How many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?

Into what?
Limerick hangover...

Of surrealists and witches we chat
not minding the which, were, or that
until it is posed,
and one must be chose,
an answer, 'yellow', or 'into what'.

There was a ten year grace period where we felt like we could do anything. We were the success story; a country that had transitioned from minority rule to majority rule with no civil war and a functioning, strong society that faced the evils of our past head-on and without apology...

And then everything changed.

Now, every few years, there's a new diaspora as those few who can leave leave and those who have made peace with the sacrifices they must make to have comfortable lifestyles buy more generators and solar panels.

Sometimes I stare at the wall and want to scream about how it all turned out. And I'm one of the lucky ones; I had skills and the fortuitous accident of birth that made leaving easy - physically anyway.

I'm going back to visit in March; I am beyond stressed. I know I'm going to cry when I step off the plane and smell the air and see the Southern Cross again. I know I'm not going to stop jumping at every sound or shadow for the month that I'm there - it's not a holiday to go home, it is constant stress and fear.

And I know I'm going to cry again when I have to leave - both from relief but also from bitter, never-healing heartache.

But there's no future there. Home is elsewhere now. But that doesn't make it stop hurting even a little bit. I don't think most people know how much it hurts to be an expat - even when it's by choice, it still leaves deep wounds on you.
Wanda, I was so engrossed in the beauty of your words here that I had to go back through the thread to realize this wasnt taken from someone's posted stories. This is a lovely memorial even if that's not what you intended, and IMHO, you should attempt using this as an intro to one of your stories. Beautifully expressed...you made my day. Thank you.

Back