Armed school officer didn't engage shooter...but teachers would have, right?

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about...!

Probably not. But I talked to those men, and I don't guess that you did.

And I'd guess that you've never qualified on any PD range with even a slingshot. Let alone gone to work every day wearing a blue uniform, a badge on your chest, and a loaded weapon on your hip.

Last edited:
I have. Once upon a time, in another life, I was a cop. (I wasn't a city cop, but I qualified with a .38 Special on the Topeka Police Department range with a score of 98 out of a possible 100. So please don't tell me that I don't know anything about firearms.) I was never in a fire fight, but I've talked to men who have been. It isn't pleasant, and they were all scared shitless---in spite of their training. Some of them reported being unable to aim effectively; they just pointed their weapons in the right general direction and pulled the trigger until the damned thing had gone "click, click, click" a few times. (One of them actually dropped his weapon and hid.)

If that's the reaction of trained, experienced police officers, what do you think we'd get from armed teachers?

The cops won their firefights because there were a bunch of them or they had shotguns (loaded with 00 buckshot). Or both. There's a reason why we read about bad guys dying "in a hail of police bullets."

Yes even when you have extensive training it's difficult to stay cool under fire. Some can, most can't. We had an incident here about 10 - 11 years ago. A couple of the local town policemen were checking out a call on two aggressive dogs. Upon arrival two young (one was 10 months old and the other a year) Pitbull mixes were spotted. The two cops got them herded into the corner of a fenced yard and were going to wait for animal control to arrive. The dogs panicked and tried to run. The cops swore the dogs charged them. The cops started firing and 21 .45 rounds were fired with no hits. They finally put the dogs down when one of them grabbed the shotgun out of his car and used that to kill them. If two trained cops can act that way imagine how a teacher who has probably never been under fire will respond. And shooting back at someone that's shooting at you isn't as easy as it sounds, especially with a pistol. You may end up with more dead kids then what the perp kills. And I'd never wish that on anyone.

I’m not a big fan of teachers with guns either to be honest .. but in another post I mentioned how when I was in high school in the 80s had 2 on duty police officers at all time. In all 3 schools in the city... Perhaps build on that idea until the larger issues are worked out. Sure it sucks more taxes but until some sort of permanent measures are worked out it’s a start

I can agree with armed police as an interim measure until something more permanent can be worked out, but I can't agree it should come from a schools budget. Most schools don't have those kinds of discretionary funds. And with most school budgets there just isn't room to hire a couple of policemen to patrol the school full time. A levy could be passed to fund it, but more then likely the same people that demand it will not want to fund it.

Comshaw

Probably not. But I talked to those men, and I don't guess that you did.

And I'd guess that you've never qualified on any PD range with even a slingshot. Let alone gone to work every day wearing a blue uniform, a badge on your chest, and a loaded weapon on your hip.

Only 12 posts? You should stay awhile.

The other side voted in an overtly racist, sexist monster.

You'd better believe they are.

You’re part of the problem then not part of a solution.. pound sand till 2020 while the rest of us figure shit out

In the meantime research congress in its entirety.. the collective sum of those scumbags is the core of the problem not the puppet

I've been around for quite a while. (Look at my join date.)

I just usually have better things to than reply to the assholes around here.

12 posts in 6 years. Sounds like a serial killer I’m the making. Flag this one

Yes even when you have extensive training it's difficult to stay cool under fire. Some can, most can't. We had an incident here about 10 - 11 years ago. A couple of the local town policemen were checking out a call on two aggressive dogs. Upon arrival two young (one was 10 months old and the other a year) Pitbull mixes were spotted. The two cops got them herded into the corner of a fenced yard and were going to wait for animal control to arrive. The dogs panicked and tried to run. The cops swore the dogs charged them. The cops started firing and 21 .45 rounds were fired with no hits. They finally put the dogs down when one of them grabbed the shotgun out of his car and used that to kill them. If two trained cops can act that way imagine how a teacher who has probably never been under fire will respond. And shooting back at someone that's shooting at you isn't as easy as it sounds, especially with a pistol. You may end up with more dead kids then what the perp kills. And I'd never wish that on anyone.

I can agree with armed police as an interim measure until something more permanent can be worked out, but I can't agree it should come from a schools budget. Most schools don't have those kinds of discretionary funds. And with most school budgets there just isn't room to hire a couple of policemen to patrol the school full time. A levy could be passed to fund it, but more then likely the same people that demand it will not want to fund it.

Comshaw

Pass the levy or suffer the fate of your tax dollars. Or lack thereof ... This is our world now..in the old American spirit. Throw money at it. See if it sticks

Pass the levy or suffer the fate of your tax dollars. Or lack thereof ... This is our world now..in the old American spirit. Throw money at it. See if it sticks

Would you like to restate that in a manner that it makes sense?

Comshaw

Would you like to restate that in a manner that it makes sense?

Comshaw

Sure.. police in schools. Till something can be worked out. School levy or tax dollars. Communities that you live in will have to pay for it until a better solution can be worked out. I thought that was part of the premise of our exchange

You don't think teachers have enough to do already, without also having to be trained in effectively taking out an armed and undoubtedly deranged assailant? I don't think you can just give someone a gun and say 'here - you're good to go now'. As a parent, I definitely would NOT want my kid in a classroom with that person.
But that is the LITERAL belief of much of the gun lobby, gun owners, the right, and the NRA.
Are you serious? You really think someone who's killed 17 people is suddenly 'deterred' by something?
Bertie Ann wouldn't know how to be serious if their life depended on it.

I agree, teachers with guns will equal more injuries and fatalities.

Comshaw
So very true. The right wingers, who want all the protective guns, and protector with a gun to protect THEIR children will be the first people to bitch the MOMENT their taxes go up a dollar.

Sure.. police in schools. Till something can be worked out. School levy or tax dollars. Communities that you live in will have to pay for it until a better solution can be worked out. I thought that was part of the premise of our exchange
It was and I agree with it, I just didn't understand your post. As a property owner and tax payer I'll be happy to pay my share to protect our schools.

Comshaw.

It was and I agree with it, I just didn't understand your post. As a property owner and tax payer I'll be happy to pay my share to protect our schools.

Comshaw.

Anything helps. But when a school district can't pass a levy for a library...

You gonna be willing to let students move to a school that has the protection if their district votes it down? Equal Protection under the 14th Amendment...

You’re part of the problem then not part of a solution

You don't know what the solution is, so you're in no position to judge. :cool:

the collective sum of those scumbags is the core of the problem not the puppet

^^^^
Trying to shift blame off the Trump voter. Very popular stance right now for the deplorables as well. Guess what? Won't work. Ever. :cool:

He’s a radical liberal.

Radical because I don't like racists and misogynists. I'm good with this. ;)

and because anyone who wanted to shoot up a school would be too stupid to shoot the teacher first, right?

Back