Are YouTubers Stealing Your Stories?

FaShUnPhOtOg

The Professor
While researching story ideas for some of my new books and videos, I came across the cheating wives channels on YouTube. And I’ve begun to notice a disturbing trend. Many, if not most, of the channels are lifting stories from literotica.com and putting them up as if they are their own. (GeorgeAnderson’s February Sucks was the first one I noticed just before Christmas 2023).

Some of the channels are crediting the authors and even giving the original title. But the credit is buried in the description and not anywhere in the video. That begs the question, are literotica authors giving permission for their works to be used or are those works being stolen? Most, if not all, of the channels are probably monetized and if so are earning money off of the views that your stories are generating. If your stories have been stolen, you are not getting credit and you are not receiving payment for your intellectual property. I would suggest that you contact YouTube and issue takedown notices. If enough authors defend their intellectual property it may be that we can get the YouTuber channels taken down for multiple copyright infringements.

If there’s enough interest for this post, I can go through and post which channels have which author‘s stories as I find them. As it is, I have already reached out to some of the authors individually to alert them to the fact that their copyrights may have been infringed.

My apologies if this is not the right area to post this thread. I wasn’t sure where else to put it.

Regards,

Mike

While researching story ideas for some of my new books and videos, I came across the cheating wives channels on YouTube. And I’ve begun to notice a disturbing trend. Many, if not most, of the channels are lifting stories from literotica.com and putting them up as if they are their own. (GeorgeAnderson’s February Sucks was the first one I noticed just before Christmas 2023).

Some of the channels are crediting the authors and even giving the original title. But the credit is buried in the description and not anywhere in the video. That begs the question, are literotica authors giving permission for their works to be used or are those works being stolen? Most, if not all, of the channels are probably monetized and if so are earning money off of the views that your stories are generating. If your stories have been stolen, you are not getting credit and you are not receiving payment for your intellectual property. I would suggest that you contact YouTube and issue takedown notices. If enough authors defend their intellectual property it may be that we can get the YouTuber channels taken down for multiple copyright infringements.

If there’s enough interest for this post, I can go through and post which channels have which author‘s stories as I find them. As it is, I have already reached out to some of the authors individually to alert them to the fact that their copyrights may have been infringed.

My apologies if this is not the right area to post this thread. I wasn’t sure where else to put it.

Regards,

Mike
Does anyone copyright any of the stories on here? :)

We are posting stories on an open website accessible to anyone with an internet connection. We are not using a paid production to distribute stories so you have to be realistic and realize this is going to happen if you don’t take steps to make it not happen and if it happens you have legal recourse. But posting a story and saying at the beginning it is copyrighted is useless.

Regardless of whether or not a copyright statement is posted, copyright laws in the US and other jurisdictions state that as soon as an original work is recorded, it is copyrighted. It's up to the author whether or not to protect their intellectual property. Given that these channels are probably monetized and could be earning a significant amount of money, using someone's intellectual property without their permission probably means they are also not sharing their profits with the authors whose works they are misappropriating.

We are posting stories on an open website accessible to anyone with an internet connection. We are not using a paid production to distribute stories so you have to be realistic and realize this is going to happen if you don’t take steps to make it not happen and if it happens you have legal recourse. But posting a story and saying at the beginning it is copyrighted is useless.
true but legally, in the US and other jurisdictions, the original author owns the copyright as soon as the story is recorded. Anyone using that story on any medium without permission of the copyright owner is a violation of the law. It's up to the author whether or not to protect their intellectual property. Given that these channels are probably monetized and could be earning a significant amount of money, using someone's intellectual property without their permission probably means they are also not sharing their profits with the authors whose works they are misappropriating. Some of these channels are claiming to make thousands of dollars per month. That means the authors are not receiving their fair share while someone else is stealing their property. While it might be difficult to sue them, a takedown notice can be filed with YouTube. If enough authors issue these takedown notices perhaps we can get the channel owners shut down. If enough people make a stink, it might be possible to force YouTube to adopt better policies to ensure proof of copyright ownership.

true but legally, in the US and other jurisdictions, the original author owns the copyright as soon as the story is recorded. Anyone using that story on any medium without permission of the copyright owner is a violation of the law. It's up to the author whether or not to protect their intellectual property. Given that these channels are probably monetized and could be earning a significant amount of money, using someone's intellectual property without their permission probably means they are also not sharing their profits with the authors whose works they are misappropriating. Some of these channels are claiming to make thousands of dollars per month. That means the authors are not receiving their fair share while someone else is stealing their property. While it might be difficult to sue them, a takedown notice can be filed with YouTube. If enough authors issue these takedown notices perhaps we can get the channel owners shut down. If enough people make a stink, it might be possible to force YouTube to adopt better policies to ensure proof of copyright ownership.
Another thing. Do you want to risk public attention to fighting for ownership of your incest story just as an example? I wouldn’t.

Another thing. Do you want to risk public attention to fighting for ownership of your incest story just as an example? I wouldn’t.
Obviously that’s something each individual author has to consider for themselves. Given that the category I identified was Cheating Wives, the risk is nowhere near the same as for the category you mentioned. Your point is valid and is why I have never posted stories on Lit and why I usually comment anonymously.

Obviously that’s something each individual author has to consider for themselves. Given that the category I identified was Cheating Wives, the risk is nowhere near the same as for the category you mentioned. Your point is valid and is why I have never posted stories on Lit and why I usually comment anonymously.
If you don't post here, what exactly is your beef? Besides shit stirring? :)

If you don't post here, what exactly is your beef? Besides shit stirring? :)
intellectual property theft is a real thing and those who perpetrate it should be dealt with, especially if they are earning money from their theft and not sharing those earnings with the authors from whom they are stealing. The purpose of this post, is to alert Lit authors to what's happening to their intellectual property. I've private messaged several who had no clue their stories are being stolen. I decided it's easier to alert Lit authors here rather than private messaging each as I discover the thefts. It's up to each author to decide if they want to pursue the thieves.

intellectual property theft is a real thing and those who perpetrate it should be dealt with, especially if they are earning money from their theft and not sharing those earnings with the authors from whom they are stealing. The purpose of this post, is to alert Lit authors to what's happening to their intellectual property. I've private messaged several who had no clue their stories are being stolen. I decided it's easier to alert Lit authors here rather than private messaging each as I discover the thefts. It's up to each author to decide if they want to pursue the thieves.
I'm sure everyone will sleep better knowing you are on the job. :)

These days a copyright is formed automatically upon composition: No technical need to send a copy to Washington, though that can still be done and makes enforcing your copyright immensely easier.

No more mishaps like what happened to Romero over "Night of the Living Dead." (My God, the royalties he might've earned from zombies!)

These days a copyright is formed automatically upon composition: No technical need to send a copy to Washington, though that can still be done and makes enforcing your copyright immensely easier.

No more mishaps like what happened to Romero over "Night of the Living Dead." (My God, the royalties he might've earned from zombies!)
Is anybody actually putting stories on here to make money? :)

All my stories are post at pay sites also. The only difference is the Title.

And as far as copyright law goes, the minute you start typing everything is copyrighted. Unless of course, you are plagiarizing someone else's work. Although the courts are lax in the enforcement here in the U.S. even though the law states what I just said. They will only hear cases where the work was actually copyrighted via the Government offices of Copyright or whatever the hell it's called.

I remember a few years back doing some online searches for my stories and found out that someone had copied them and pasted them to XHamster's website. They just swapped out my name for his. This person did the same thing with a bunch of other Literotica stories. I clicked on the "contact us" link and reported him to the XHamster staff. They ended up removing all of the content he uploaded.

I remember a few years back doing some online searches for my stories and found out that someone had copied them and pasted them to XHamster's website. They just swapped out my name for his. This person did the same thing with a bunch of other Literotica stories. I clicked on the "contact us" link and reported him to the XHamster staff. They ended up removing all of the content he uploaded.
Odd post from someone who basically steals pictures from all over the web to post them here, in violation of their rules and Lits.

More youtube stories are copied from reddit. Youtube's automated copyright response has driven away many youtubers who don't have the resources to contest the process with a giant corporate machine. The remaining channels are more corporate. Alphabet is now just another media dinosaur, lumbering towards the fate of all dinosaurs.

Is anybody actually putting stories on here to make money? :)
Sorry, it’s been a busy week traveling between home and various doctors’ clinics, so I’m only just now able to respond.

I realize that noone expects to make money posting here on Lit. That’s not the point to my original post and my follow-up replies. The point is that somebody else is stealing stories off this site and making minor textual changes so they have the appearance of meeting the ”fair use” clause of the copyright law (they don’t, imo but I’m not an attorney), and then reposting them to a monetized channel on YouTube and making money from them and not sharing that money with the original author. That constitutes copyright infringement, if they’re doing it without the original author’s permission.

Sorry, it’s been a busy week traveling between home and various doctors’ clinics, so I’m only just now able to respond.

I realize that noone expects to make money posting here on Lit. That’s not the point to my original post and my follow-up replies. The point is that somebody else is stealing stories off this site and making minor textual changes so they have the appearance of meeting the ”fair use” clause of the copyright law (they don’t, imo but I’m not an attorney), and then reposting them to a monetized channel on YouTube and making money from them and not sharing that money with the original author. That constitutes copyright infringement, if they’re doing it without the original author’s permission.
This is nothing new but ok. :)

Regards,

Mike
Personally I would be flattered if someone took one of my stories and turned it into a video or short movie.

Regardless of whether or not a copyright statement is posted, copyright laws in the US and other jurisdictions state that as soon as an original work is recorded, it is copyrighted. It's up to the author whether or not to protect their intellectual property. Given that these channels are probably monetized and could be earning a significant amount of money, using someone's intellectual property without their permission probably means they are also not sharing their profits with the authors whose works they are misappropriating.
Yes! That is what the law says.

Back