Anyone from the UK?

If you are in Crete the only mode of transport should be riding a bull - you have to respect the local traditions
The first time I went to Crete, I hired an off-road quad, a huge Honda and took it up into the mountains away from the tourists. I had fun and decided I'd take this little off-road track. I'd say I was about half a mile up it when I was confronted by three huge dogs, barking their heads off and about 30 or 40 straggly goats.

Before I knew what was going on, the farmer appeared with a break-open shotgun over his arm. There was a definite language barrier but the general gist of it was "fuck off English before I fill you with birdshot!"

I have never done a wheel spin on a Quad before... I managed it then.

Feeling the Bodhran banging Ana?
Bah! Bodhran players are just hangers-on who go to sessions (séisiuns I think if I recall my Irish right) to get some free Guinness. They're like people who hang out with musicians.

Full disclosure here, I can actually mostly play Irish banjo and mandolin. I started as a guitarist but once I got good at that gave up playing it at sessions because there's always too many guitarists bashing out the same.half dozen chords unimaginatively and don't get me started on squeezebox players!

The first time I went to Crete, I hired an off-road quad, a huge Honda and took it up into the mountains away from the tourists. I had fun and decided I'd take this little off-road track. I'd say I was about half a mile up it when I was confronted by three huge dogs, barking their heads off and about 30 or 40 straggly goats.

Before I knew what was going on, the farmer appeared with a break-open shotgun over his arm. There was a definite language barrier but the general gist of it was "fuck off English before I fill you with birdshot!"

I have never done a wheel spin on a Quad before... I managed it then.

Never done the quad bikes but I have slung a Honda (Yamaha maybe?) Chappie (small wheel scooter thingie) down a dirt road on Zakinthos with me following close behind. I got a forearm full of grit. The Chappie got a bent carrier basket that we hammered back into shape before returning it very hurriedly to the rental shop.

Bah! Bodhran players are just hangers-on who go to sessions (séisiuns I think if I recall my Irish right) to get some free Guinness. They're like people who hang out with musicians.

Full disclosure here, I can actually mostly play Irish banjo and mandolin. I started as a guitarist but once I got good at that gave up playing it at sessions because there's always too many guitarists bashing out the same.half dozen chords unimaginatively and don't get me started on squeezebox players!
Nice! Uilleann pipes, low whistle and bodhran are my favourites. Ever listened to „Moving Hearts“?

Nice! Uilleann pipes, low whistle and bodhran are my favourites. Ever listened to „Moving Hearts“?
I preferred Planxty. Never seen Christie but I have seen Andy Irvine at a small gig. And once had dinner at a friend's house with Johnny Moynihan (founder member of Sweeney's Men, a pre-Planxty band with Andy Irvine and Terry Woods, later of Steeleye Span and Pogues fame).

Never done the quad bikes but I have slung a Honda (Yamaha maybe?) Chappie (small wheel scooter thingie) down a dirt road on Zakinthos with me following close behind. I got a forearm full of grit. The Chappie got a bent carrier basket that we hammered back into shape before returning it very hurriedly to the rental shop.
I don't trust anything on two wheels. If gas two, I fall off. 🤣

Quads are so much fun.

I'm glad you weren't more seriously injured though.

I knew a squaddie who was left with half his skull missing when he rented a scooter in Cyprus.

As a drummer though, I struggle with the Bodhran. Totally different wrist action if you'll excuse the potential innuendo :)

I preferred Planxty. Never seen Christie but I have seen Andy Irvine at a small gig. And once had dinner at a friend's house with Johnny Moynihan (founder member of Sweeney's Men, a pre-Planxty band with Andy Irvine and Terry Woods, later of Steeleye Span and Pogues fame).
My son's a jazz guitarist so if you need someone to play a thousand chords to three people rather than a rock guitarist to play 3 chords to a thousand people, he's your man

Back