AMA - BiBunny

"My all-time favorite movie is Smokey and the Bandit. (Please don't judge me.) Some others that rank pretty highly are The Princess Bride, Robin Hood: Men in Tights..." And now I know I'm hooked. Oh, how I wanted a black Trans Am! (And Sally Field!) And a family favorite quote: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Ok, here's the thing with the Duolingo friend quests. I absolutely do not mind doing them, but I feel so bad because I haven't been into Duo much lately, so you're doing all the heavy lifting while I do, like, one lesson a day. I promise to get off my ass and do better!
I was worried you’d feel bad about it and that’s why I asked… I’ve been doing a million lessons most days anyways so it’s not like I’m slaving away just to get that quest done… It kind of just happens.

So absolutely no need to get off your ass and do better on that account.

I also use this moment to say that if someone wants to be my Duo friend, hmu! :D I don’t want to add complete randos there like a lot of people do, I want to at least know they’re real people and not bots…

That's awesome! I played slow-pitch until my last year in high school, when they abruptly swapped us over to fast-pitch, to the general confusion of everyone involved. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah - that's tough - 2 very different sports

I wanna say I once had a 19th century literature thread running around here somewhere.

That’s probably what I’m thinking of then. I’ll have to go look some time.

I just love a lot of literature from that time period--the American Dark Romantics, the British Victorians, the Russians from that time. I don't know why that particular time period sticks with me, but it does.

A time of change perhaps?
City and modernity vs country life and tradition, is there some gothic spookiness at work or is the governess crazy, claustrophobic situations that made people have to go live with their weird uncle the inn keeper/smuggler - lots of good themes.

Oldest daughter had to choose a modern classic to read for school, so I gave her The Bell Jar and am happy to report that it works for the next generation too.

No judgement - Smokie and the Bandit makes me smile.

Not the usual ”What would your perfect day be like?” but the same question I asked seela:

Do you have of those ”just a perfect day”-days you always remember with a smile, that you’d like to tell us about?

Not the usual ”What would your perfect day be like?” but the same question I asked seela:

Do you have of those ”just a perfect day”-days you always remember with a smile, that you’d like to tell us about?

I'm...not sure.

That's not as tragic as it sounds, I promise. It's mostly that I have a really bad memory. :LOL:

Probably the greatest moment in my life happened when I was not a Lit-approved age. I was at a smallish horse show, and I was riding my favorite horse in a championship class. For some reason, a lot of the spectators decided that they liked me and started cheering for me and shouting my number at the judges. (This is just something people do at gaited horse shows here, no clue why.) I actually managed to fuck around and win the thing, and I got a standing ovation on my victory lap with the championship ribbon pinned to my horse's bridle.

It seems like something out of a dream now because it was so long ago, but my parents remember it, so that means it must've really happened!

I'm...not sure.

That's not as tragic as it sounds, I promise. It's mostly that I have a really bad memory. :LOL:

Probably the greatest moment in my life happened when I was not a Lit-approved age. I was at a smallish horse show, and I was riding my favorite horse in a championship class. For some reason, a lot of the spectators decided that they liked me and started cheering for me and shouting my number at the judges. (This is just something people do at gaited horse shows here, no clue why.) I actually managed to fuck around and win the thing, and I got a standing ovation on my victory lap with the championship ribbon pinned to my horse's bridle.

It seems like something out of a dream now because it was so long ago, but my parents remember it, so that means it must've really happened!
That’s a great memory!

Question: what exactly is a gaited horse show? What do you do when you ride horses there? Is it dressage or jumping or something else altogether? I know nothing about horses and mostly am afraid of the damn things.

That’s a great memory!

Question: what exactly is a gaited horse show? What do you do when you ride horses there? Is it dressage or jumping or something else altogether? I know nothing about horses and mostly am afraid of the damn things.

Ok, this is may make no sense at all, so I apologize beforehand.

It's nothing so interesting as jumping or dressage, unfortunately. I always wanted to get into both of those things, but never got to!

A gaited horse is a type of horse that (generally, with the exception of American Saddlebreds) does not trot. Instead of a two-beat trot, they perform a four-beat gait which is essentially the same thing amongst all the various breeds but called something different, depending on which breed we're talking about. I showed Tennessee Walking Horses, whose people called it a running walk, and Racking Horses, whose people called it a rack. (You can make the argument that the two things are a little different, but it's mostly just aesthetically speaking, not technically speaking.) Saddlebreds, on the other hand, both trot and perform the four-beat gait, but this has to be trained into them. For other types of gaited horses, the four-beat gait is natural, and it's considerably more comfortable to ride over a distance than a trot is.

So the point of (most) gaited horse shows is to demonstrate two things: The purity of the gait and action. Action is basically just how high they can pick their feet up. For some breeds, this is all four feet, and for others, like the ones I rode, it just includes the front feet. Rear-end action in the breeds I rode was more like the hind end of the horse dropping down so that the front could lift up, if that makes any sense.

There are multiple ways to make this happen. Most of it is by mechanical means, like big shoes. Some of it is through cruelty (acids applied to the area below the ankles which produce pain), which, ultimately, was one of the things that led me to quit the sport altogether. They have inspectors who are supposed to check for that, but their validity is...questionable. At any time, I could have just about guaranteed you that I was the only one in the entire show grounds not riding dirty because that was how widespread it was. (And I'm not trying to make myself sound noble and enlightened here. I just didn't have the heart for it, ultimately.) I think there's been a crackdown on it in the years since I left, but I don't really follow it anymore, so I don't know how much of that is a real crackdown and how much of it is just talking to make themselves look better to outsiders.

Ok, I told you all that to tell you this: The point of a gaited horse show is to ride around the ring, demonstrating your gaits, and see whose horse picks their feet up the highest without breaking gait. Sounds boring, but really isn't. It's very exciting, and that's how the industry has gotten away with their bullshit for so long. And to be honest, even when you're riding clean, there's nothing in the world that feels quite like it. The greatest Tennessee Walking Horses in the world could lift their front legs so high that you could see them over the top of a four-foot fence, so it's pretty impressive, if you don't think about it too much.

I do miss it sometimes. I don't miss all the insanity that went along with it because nobody who spends much time around horses is sane. :ROFLMAO:

Ok, this is may make no sense at all, so I apologize beforehand.

It's nothing so interesting as jumping or dressage, unfortunately. I always wanted to get into both of those things, but never got to!

A gaited horse is a type of horse that (generally, with the exception of American Saddlebreds) does not trot. Instead of a two-beat trot, they perform a four-beat gait which is essentially the same thing amongst all the various breeds but called something different, depending on which breed we're talking about. I showed Tennessee Walking Horses, whose people called it a running walk, and Racking Horses, whose people called it a rack. (You can make the argument that the two things are a little different, but it's mostly just aesthetically speaking, not technically speaking.) Saddlebreds, on the other hand, both trot and perform the four-beat gait, but this has to be trained into them. For other types of gaited horses, the four-beat gait is natural, and it's considerably more comfortable to ride over a distance than a trot is.

So the point of (most) gaited horse shows is to demonstrate two things: The purity of the gait and action. Action is basically just how high they can pick their feet up. For some breeds, this is all four feet, and for others, like the ones I rode, it just includes the front feet. Rear-end action in the breeds I rode was more like the hind end of the horse dropping down so that the front could lift up, if that makes any sense.

There are multiple ways to make this happen. Most of it is by mechanical means, like big shoes. Some of it is through cruelty (acids applied to the area below the ankles which produce pain), which, ultimately, was one of the things that led me to quit the sport altogether. They have inspectors who are supposed to check for that, but their validity is...questionable. At any time, I could have just about guaranteed you that I was the only one in the entire show grounds not riding dirty because that was how widespread it was. (And I'm not trying to make myself sound noble and enlightened here. I just didn't have the heart for it, ultimately.) I think there's been a crackdown on it in the years since I left, but I don't really follow it anymore, so I don't know how much of that is a real crackdown and how much of it is just talking to make themselves look better to outsiders.

Ok, I told you all that to tell you this: The point of a gaited horse show is to ride around the ring, demonstrating your gaits, and see whose horse picks their feet up the highest without breaking gait. Sounds boring, but really isn't. It's very exciting, and that's how the industry has gotten away with their bullshit for so long. And to be honest, even when you're riding clean, there's nothing in the world that feels quite like it. The greatest Tennessee Walking Horses in the world could lift their front legs so high that you could see them over the top of a four-foot fence, so it's pretty impressive, if you don't think about it too much.

I do miss it sometimes. I don't miss all the insanity that went along with it because nobody who spends much time around horses is sane. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks, this was enlightening. Loved how you described it as seeing whose horse picks up their legs the highest. That’s the level of explanation I need to understand horse things.

A friend of mine does equestrian vaulting and it looks insane. Walking and picking up legs would be more up my speed if I were to pick a horse based hobby.

Thanks, this was enlightening. Loved how you described it as seeing whose horse picks up their legs the highest. That’s the level of explanation I need to understand horse things.

A friend of mine does equestrian vaulting and it looks insane. Walking and picking up legs would be more up my speed if I were to pick a horse based hobby.

Before I started showing horses, I did gymnastics, so I have ALWAYS been interested in equestrian vaulting because it combines two of my favorite things, lol. I am much too old and fat now, but there was a time that I would've totally done it, if there had been anyone in my area who taught it!

Hi.
I remember popping on here years ago when I thought I knew stuff and I saw you here.
Then I remembered you disappearing.
No question really. Just glad to see you're okay.

I am hoping you are in a better place and you are taking care of yourself. 🌹🌹🌹

Hi.
I remember popping on here years ago when I thought I knew stuff and I saw you here.
Then I remembered you disappearing.
No question really. Just glad to see you're okay.

I am hoping you are in a better place and you are taking care of yourself. 🌹🌹🌹

Hiya!

I'm actually doing really well, thank you.

Hope you are, too! :rose:

I vaguely remember you being Spider Bunny, even if I don’t remember why
To clear things up:
What are your super hero powers?

I vaguely remember you being Spider Bunny, even if I don’t remember why
To clear things up:
What are your super hero powers?

I was Spider Bunny! Spider-Woman is my favorite superhero, so I use her as an av when I'm not using Lady Loki over there.

My superpower is the ability to think of or mention someone and then have them pop up within the week, even if I haven't seen or heard from them in ages. It happens a LOT. Not all the time, but often enough that people comment on it, lol.

The superpower I wish I had? I really wish I could fly!

I was Spider Bunny! Spider-Woman is my favorite superhero, so I use her as an av when I'm not using Lady Loki over there.

My superpower is the ability to think of or mention someone and then have them pop up within the week, even if I haven't seen or heard from them in ages. It happens a LOT. Not all the time, but often enough that people comment on it, lol.

The superpower I wish I had? I really wish I could fly!

Ah, that was why!

It’s kind of cool to be able to summon people like that.

What question do you really hope nobody asks you?

You know, I'm not sure. I guess I'm pretty much an open book, so I don't mind any question. :)
Ah, that was why!

It’s kind of cool to be able to summon people like that.

It is, if it's someone you want to see. When it's your college ex-boyfriend messaging you on Facebook out of the blue to "make amends," it's just weird. Like, dude, it was 16 years ago. I'm over it. (That's what I get for bringing his name up in conversation, I guess!)

It is, if it's someone you want to see.

Yes, controlled summoning is better. I’ve seen the other kind in books and movies…:D

When it's your college ex-boyfriend messaging you on Facebook out of the blue to "make amends," it's just weird.

Yeah, that’s a weird situation.

I had ”the mean girl” from our early school years turn up on social media, to ask forgiveness for being a bitch all those years ago.
It turned out to be a twelve step thing and it seems a lot of people can hold grudges for a long time, so she was rather happy to hear that it was a very minor thing and very ”Dude, that was a long time ago”.

She is one of those people who brings up rather interesting discussions on social media, so it was a win to be forgiving even if I still get the ”How can you be ”friends” with her” way more than you’d think over middle school bitchhood.

Who is your favirite character from Tombstone?

For me it's between Turkey Creek Jack Johnson and Doc Holliday. Val Kilmer played Doc to the hilt, in terms of charisma, but I felt that just how menacing he was wasn't portrayed enough. Doc, as his tuberculosis advanced, didn't care if he survived a gunfight, and combined with his skill with a gun, that terrified a lot of people.

Historically, Wyatt Earp wrote about how impressed he was at seeing Jack in a 3 on 1 gunfight. His partners decided a 3 way split was better than a 4 way split in business, and instead of buying him out, accused him of cheating at cards, and called him out for a gunfight. While they quick-drew, and fired from the hip, Jack turned sideways, and took aim with each shot. He stood his ground amidst a hail of bullets, killing 2 of the men, before he suffered a minor wound, throwing his third shot off target, and then he killed the third man while he was reloading. Some witnesses complained to Marshal Wyatt Earp that shooting a man while he is reloading is unfair. Wyatt just laughed it off, because no one complained about how unfair a 3 on 1 gunfight was.

Who is your favirite character from Tombstone?

For me it's between Turkey Creek Jack Johnson and Doc Holliday. Val Kilmer played Doc to the hilt, in terms of charisma, but I felt that just how menacing he was wasn't portrayed enough. Doc, as his tuberculosis advanced, didn't care if he survived a gunfight, and combined with his skill with a gun, that terrified a lot of people.

Historically, Wyatt Earp wrote about how impressed he was at seeing Jack in a 3 on 1 gunfight. His partners decided a 3 way split was better than a 4 way split in business, and instead of buying him out, accused him of cheating at cards, and called him out for a gunfight. While they quick-drew, and fired from the hip, Jack turned sideways, and took aim with each shot. He stood his ground amidst a hail of bullets, killing 2 of the men, before he suffered a minor wound, throwing his third shot off target, and then he killed the third man while he was reloading. Some witnesses complained to Marshal Wyatt Earp that shooting a man while he is reloading is unfair. Wyatt just laughed it off, because no one complained about how unfair a 3 on 1 gunfight was.

Hands down, it's Doc Holliday. I'm not really even a huge Val Kilmer fan, but he did such an incredible job in that movie. I have said for many years that I want my own Doc Holliday!

Hello, my friend.

Asking as someone whose presence here has been spotty at best lately, what's surprising you the most about this little neighborhood now you've returned?

Hello, my friend.

Asking as someone whose presence here has been spotty at best lately, what's surprising you the most about this little neighborhood now you've returned?

Hey there!

I think I'm most surprised that some people here still remembered me. I was afraid almost all my old friends would be gone. And to be fair, many of them are, but many remain, too. :rose:

What is something people are usually surprised to learn about you?

Back