about the author

Zandrite

Virgin
I know there are other places to find recommendations on this, but I thought I'd tap Literotica and see what people think.
I'm talking about formal "about the author" pages as seen in novels, ebooks, chapbooks etc. Not your website bio... although if you've designed yours like an about page, then sure, I'm interested.

Beyond what makes a "professional" or "appropriate" about the author page.... what makes one compelling? Or memorable?

Have you ever read an author's about page and just loved the description? Smiled? Laughed? Did it change your perception of the author?

I suspect that honesty, brevity and humour are the best policies I have seen for an about the author page. I think the best ones are the kind that don't try to be braggy or pretentious. A good about page has something in it that reaches for the reader on a personal level. Not overshare, just real.

Thoughts?

I think about the author only has meaning in three scenarios:
- the author has an EGO, that mandates including a bio section in their work.
- the author is writing about something that implies a level of proficiency and the about section is basically helping establish the author as a credible source of information in that area
- any sort of professional publication, where you might want to know who the idiot is whose rambling you just read through. :)

If I want to know about an author, I read a biography, not a leaflet attached to the book or a two page summary. As such, no. I don't think the "about" section really has a merit beyond the above scenarios.

My expectation towards an about section is for it not to be interesting or compelling, but to be informative, to the point and concise. I'm there to read a book, not the biography of whoever wrote it. Once I know the writer is qualified to write about the topic, I usually don't care any more.

I know there are other places to find recommendations on this, but I thought I'd tap Literotica and see what people think.
I'm talking about formal "about the author" pages as seen in novels, ebooks, chapbooks etc. Not your website bio... although if you've designed yours like an about page, then sure, I'm interested.

Beyond what makes a "professional" or "appropriate" about the author page.... what makes one compelling? Or memorable?

Have you ever read an author's about page and just loved the description? Smiled? Laughed? Did it change your perception of the author?

I suspect that honesty, brevity and humour are the best policies I have seen for an about the author page. I think the best ones are the kind that don't try to be braggy or pretentious. A good about page has something in it that reaches for the reader on a personal level. Not overshare, just real.

Thoughts?
I always read the "about the author" pages. I also read the dedications and acknowledgements. They're often interesting. But I don't think they need to be brief or honest or humorous. Informative is enough for me.

Personally, I don't care.
There are writers here within Literotica, whom I consider exceptionally good.
If they have aroused my interest with their talent. I may peek at their bio page. The truth is, we are all hiding behind false names, emails, contact details.
We all guard our privacy closely.
Anything posted on a bio page, may or may not be true.
Do I care? No, not in the least.
We post our stories in here for free. I assume, most of us are not aspiring writers. Not searching for fame with our story telling ability. Merely amateur writers having some fun.
If you are a good writer, I will read your work. I don't need to know you, to admire your writing talent.

Cagivagurl

I expect the bio blurb to include evidence that the author has the chops to have written what they're offering. Beyond that, it's fine if they are clever and unique in capturing attention.

A lot of agents and publishers are proponents of "About the Author" sections in their published works and websites, and their reasoning of course, is promotion.

Where publishing solely on a site such as Literotica, promotion of a writer is limited, and of questionable value. The anonymity issues also comes into play here much more than in mainstream publishing.

Back