About feedback...

Maximillian_Excaliber

Experienced
Recently I was diagnosed with stage 3 liver cancer and to be quite frank, am no longer worried about whether or not I offend someone who has written rude or insensitive feedback so here goes.

My pet peeves...

1. Arrogant people who leave rude feedback about a story but have never posted one online themselves.
2. People who assumed you have not made your best effort to edit a story and say things like... "learn how to spell", "get an editor" and "the author is functionally illiterate" (that was my favorite). That person had no idea not only did two spell checkers fail to know the difference between 'border' and 'boarder' but two grammar checkers and the text-to-speech software I used didn't either because 'boarder and border' are both correct spellings, nouns and homonyms. Believe it or not despite making a 100 on every spelling test I had in technical school I still can't spell some words and the one thing I failed to do was google them because nothing indicated I used to wrong word.
3. People who read your story, ignored the part where you told them in the Introduction it was a work of fiction and did not represent your views nor was it condemning anyone's religion, yet got offended by it anyway.
4. Cowards that hide behind anonymous negative comments because they're afraid someone will correct them when they are wrong and show the world how arrogantly judgmental they are being.

I cope by not caring enough about such feedback to lash out at it on the discussion forums.

Best of luck in your cancer battle. In perspective....the people you're talking about really don't matter.

I cope by not caring enough about such feedback to lash out at it on the discussion forums.

I think we all get pissed about these things and we get through them by chatting about it frequently on the AH. This guy doesn't do that and was hoping for a little commiseration.

Max we're all right there with ya pal. You are preaching to the converted. Keep writing.

Writers expect too much in the way of direct feedback on this site. It's a reading site; not a critique site. I save the grief by just being happy at very likely getting more reads here than anywhere else.

My pet peeve is complainers who don't complain to you. The ones who go around you and complain to a supervisor or site mod about your conduct and never speak to you directly. They're the real backstabbers you need to watch out for.

Good luck with your cancer battle.

Exactly this.

Grow a pair (balls or tits, your choice) and as the saying goes ... "suck it up, buttercup".
Generally my feeling especially when the topic of deleting comments comes up.

But when someone starts with "I have cancer" I don't feel I need to be rude to them, they have enough going on, and when you're going through something like that, sometimes you'll make a big deal of something meaningless to try and forget about what you're going through.

I would never expect empathy from Keith, the most self absorbed narcissist on the site. Guess I shouldn't from others either as the mentality of the blessed internet is to usually pile on someone, especially when they're down.

Its nice to see people here responded to the diagnosis more than the complaint. There's some genuine people here.

But in your case, I'm glad you had this opportunity to sound so super cool at someone else's expense.

It's not a question of empathy or lack of empathy. I completely understand wishing for more feedback--on story accounts that are much fuller and more varied than the sick, obsessive puppy LC68 has managed--and with a record of being more helpful to writers here than LC has been.

It's a matter to getting beyond wishing for something that isn't going to be fulfilled on this story site. The sooner you get over the need for stroking and become comfortable with what you write without getting that, the more you can enjoy writing and posting stories here.

I thought that after having taken a hiatus from here and coming back, LC would be less of a negative-influence asshole on the forum. Obviously not.

Hopes and prayers for your cancer, M.E.

As to the complainers, consider how many statues there have been erected to authors, actors, poets and the other gifted artists who have improved the world, brightened the lives of those around them. Now consider how many monuments have been raised to critics. There's probably a reason.

Hang in, sir.

Sorry to hear about your cancer. I hope you beat it, but whether you do or don’t, you’ve created something that will outlive you, even if you lived to be a hundred and twenty. That’s more than can be said for the whiny readers.

Recently I was diagnosed with stage 3 liver cancer
I'm sorry to hear that.

My pet peeves...

1. Arrogant people who leave rude feedback about a story but have never posted one online themselves.
2. People who assumed you have not made your best effort to edit a story and say things like... "learn how to spell", "get an editor" and "the author is functionally illiterate" (that was my favorite). That person had no idea not only did two spell checkers fail to know the difference between 'border' and 'boarder' but two grammar checkers and the text-to-speech software I used didn't either because 'boarder and border' are both correct spellings, nouns and homonyms. Believe it or not despite making a 100 on every spelling test I had in technical school I still can't spell some words and the one thing I failed to do was google them because nothing indicated I used to wrong word.
I think these people think they are being helpful to the author, but they're not. I think most readers greatly underestimate how hard it is to get all of the errors out of a story. They seem to think that spelling/grammar tools will catch every single error when the truth is that they miss a lot while false reporting almost as much. I hate it when a reader finishes one of my stories and thinks the only thing worth commenting on is a typo on page 3. What did you think of the story? That kind of feedback does nothing to help me improve and only demotivates me.

It's not a question of empathy or lack of empathy. I completely understand wishing for more feedback--on story accounts that are much fuller and more varied than the sick, obsessive puppy LC68 has managed--and with a record of being more helpful to writers here than LC has been.
First of all, you completely missed the meaning of empathy in my post. No surprise, because it seems like you rarely read an entire post, or take a minute to think before replying.

As for a track record of being more helpful? You sure about that? I've done my share of paying it forward here, but its all through PM and e-mail, I don't need to make it public.

Final point, your response of not caring about feedback here is false. We know you care about it, why else would you provide it to yourself? :p

@lovecraft68 & @KeithD - I’m not trying to be a bitch, but any chance you could take this somewhere other than @Maximillian_Excaliber ’s thread. I think his situation is rather too grave for this type of bickering.

I think dropping it would be the right thing to do.

Em
Did you miss who is pushing this? Bet you think the Democrats are as bad as the Republicans too.

You could help containing it by not posting as you have. My response to anyone who says this is equally being pursued is to stuff it.

Last edited:
@lovecraft68 & @KeithD - I’m not trying to be a bitch, but any chance you could take this somewhere other than @Maximillian_Excaliber ’s thread. I think his situation is rather too grave for this type of bickering.

It wasn't too grave for the OP to start the thread.

If the thread was about the OPs condition we could all address that, but the thread is about feedback. If being gravely ill gives someone a free pass from any sort of rebuttal it would be like playing poker and not being allowed to call bets from the poor guy with barely any chips left, we all just have to let him win.

We're all adults here. This isn't kindergarten.

There's nothing wrong with posting stories here just for the applause. The reality is that there won't be much of it, so you'll either need to lower your expectations for that or continue to stew about something you're not going to get much of.

Recently I was diagnosed with stage 3 liver cancer and to be quite frank, am no longer worried about whether or not I offend someone who has written rude or insensitive feedback so here goes.

My pet peeves...

3. People who read your story, ignored the part where you told them in the Introduction it was a work of fiction and did not represent your views nor was it condemning anyone's religion, yet got offended by it anyway.
4. Cowards that hide behind anonymous negative comments because they're afraid someone will correct them when they are wrong and show the world how arrogantly judgmental they are being.
Hang on, you will beat that cancer yet.

As for the comments, I don't mind the negative ones, even the malicious ones, as long as there is something insightful in them. Any kind of feedback is better than no feedback for me. A comment, negative or positive, means that somebody cared enough about your story to take the time to write something. The thing I dread the most is getting no comments at all... 🫤

Back